The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Watching the weather!  (Read 2461 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Watching the weather!
« on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I know its still 4 days away but I sure hope we don't get slammed this weekend with snow! It will be a repeat of last year! We get a week of good arctic air and then hit with a blizzard! That will certainly stop the ice from freezing and make for a real sloppy walk in the slush. Fingers crossed its only a dusting lol.

Offline dam bass

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Watching the weather!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:29 AM »
I am with you there. Bring on the cold, and hold the snow please.  We need a good stretch to get us through this season.

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:40 AM »
With the temps never above freezing this week, things should lock up pretty well and even with snow on top after the big storm rolls through, wouldn't that be ok? Why would it turn to slush? I guess after a thaw?

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:47 AM »
my brother is s meteorologist, he sent me this reply.

Well it looks fairly ominous at this point with 1-2 feet of wind blown snow likely from about the DC/Philly area through NYC into southern New England.  You might plan to be home for Saturday and maybe Sunday. 

DOH!
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Not only is there a potential noreaster for friday/saturday, there looks to be a clipper system forming that would come through tuesday/wednesday. My friends who ski are all excited and rooting it on…. I don't freakin ski  :-\

Offline motogsp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I am all about the artic air but you can keep the snow.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Say bye bye to any ice
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:04 AM »
It would just figure the way this season has gone that when we finally get some good cold to lock up local ice, we get hit with a monster snow to mess it all up.  ???

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:09 AM »
With the temps never above freezing this week, things should lock up pretty well and even with snow on top after the big storm rolls through, wouldn't that be ok? Why would it turn to slush? I guess after a thaw?
Have you never fished in deep snow on thin ice? As soon as you cut a hole, the weight of the snow pushes the water up onto the surface of the ice. It was incredibly horrible last year after the snow and there was about 8" of clear ice then. That's only one issue too. It insulates the ice from the cold too. Yes it protects the ice from the sun and warm air but we need more ice not snow.

Offline spcantwell

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Salmon Egg Studios
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:17 AM »
the only thing we have doing for us, is the ice is still on the thin side.   if we do get that heavy snow load,  it should push the water up onto the ice and saturate the snow.  I know its not great ice,  but the next cold front should freeze that solid and give us a 5-6" black ice base with a good 5-6" snow ice top. 

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:22 AM »
if you didnt have a snowmobile last year it with a reach biotch to drag a sled any more then 20' to fish, even then snomobiles liked getting stuck in the sloppy slush! My only silver lining is I have Thursday and Friday off to fish, right before the snow!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:34 AM »
if you didnt have a snowmobile last year it with a reach biotch to drag a sled any more then 20' to fish, even then snomobiles liked getting stuck in the sloppy slush! My only silver lining is I have Thursday and Friday off to fish, right before the snow!
hopefully I can get out Thursday or Friday. Depending on the timeline of the snow, I might have to skip saturday👎 its definitely time to get my truck running! The Chevy cruze go cart isn't gonna cut it lol last I saw it was later in the day Saturday for start time. But I'm not holding my breath on that!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Looks like its supposed to start right around 1am Satuday in my area. That can change but it doesnt look good.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I pay very close attention to the Models themselves and the Euro still suggest a glancing blow.  The Euro is much more accurate to date than the GFS model and was spot on for most of last years storms.  If you're going to rely on a forecast this far out the Euro is the one to lean on.  Otherwise just wait for the runs in the next few days and read noaa's forecast disscussion on the site.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:57 PM »
I'll take the snow but this wind is brutal.  Saturday around my neck of the woods is only showing minor snow accumulation, 1-3 inches, but about 20mph winds.  I fished yesterday and with the wind my holes were filled with snow within 5 minutes after cleaning them and there was only a dusting of snow on the ice and some lightly falling most of the day.  I'll deal with dragging my smitty sled through the snow but setting up and taking down a hub style shelter in 20mph wind AND dragging the thing through the snow is just a pain in the arse.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Where I am headed the forecast is for 5-7mph for the weekend!

Offline Jwise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:11 PM »
European model shows 16"  :o

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:12 PM »
On a good note, most of the snow blew off my local favorite spot. Should really start thickening up now. Holy bassquatch it's windy and cold out there!  Big difference without the Striker suit in this wind!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:16 PM »
On a good note, most of the snow blew off my local favorite spot. Should really start thickening up now. Holy bassquatch it's windy and cold out there!  Big difference without the Striker suit in this wind!
just checked DB, too cold to get out of the truck in dress clothes, but i see all the snow blowing off and polishing the ice all nice. Edges dont have that wet look anymore either, i think I am going to give it  whirl Thursday

Offline bigpick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Hoping it doesn't start until Saturday am and it's light snow, can head north a bit to get out of the stronger winds and get some fishing in before this messes up fishing for the rest of the weekend.............ma ybe, we'll see. Hope everyone stays safe with all this snow on the ice it will make things very tricky on the bigger ponds and lakes that might just be locking up.

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:28 PM »
The latest report that I just watched on WHDH says it's looking like a more southward track meaning we would get more of just a passing glance than a direct hit. They will know better tonight once the system gets over land.

Offline Ash82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2016, 03:58 PM »
The estimate went from 8-12" to 3-5". Awesome! The heavy winds are blowing it south then? I will take heavy winds for 2 days over 12" of snow during the weekend. That is not that bad a trade-off :D

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:01 PM »
The latest report that I just watched on WHDH says it's looking like a more southward track meaning we would get more of just a passing glance than a direct hit. They will know better tonight once the system gets over land.
please be right lol. I ran into a really nice guy at Cabela's , we got to talking about iceshanty. He mentioned someone on here and I think it was you, but I'm not sure, bad with names 😆 ? Do you know an Eddy , possibly your father? 

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:02 PM »
The estimate went from 8-12" to 3-5". Awesome! The heavy winds are blowing it south then? I will take heavy winds for 2 days over 12" of snow during the weekend. That is not that bad a trade-off :D
Amen to that Ash !

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:12 PM »
just checked DB, too cold to get out of the truck in dress clothes, but i see all the snow blowing off and polishing the ice all nice. Edges dont have that wet look anymore either, i think I am going to give it  whirl Thursday
The wind must be brutal on DB today !!! I checked a couple spots and it was down right nasty without my Striker! 

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Well, maybe the wind will be enough to leave some stretches of bare ice on the lakes, while the wind drifts snow to the shorelines.
Tight lines!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:28 PM »
please be right lol. I ran into a really nice guy at Cabela's , we got to talking about iceshanty. He mentioned someone on here and I think it was you, but I'm not sure, bad with names 😆 ? Do you know an Eddy , possibly your father?

Only Eddy I know is Otzi on the forums

Offline Dschofield91

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have an Ice day!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2016, 05:30 PM »
I do know an Eddy from Oxford that we ice fish with.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:37 AM »
This guy seems to know what hes talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8L2hObp5kA

Offline dmilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dave
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:43 AM »
I couldn't watch it to the end! Unreal!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.