The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Up Holder/Organizer/Carrier  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Up Holder/Organizer/Carrier
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Does anyone have a good method for organizing and carrying tip ups?  I've stuffed them in a 5 gallon bucket on my sled and they always seem to end up a tangled mess.  I'm thinking of making something with dividers to keep them separated.  I'm using HT Enterprises Polar tip ups, but I'd like something that would be more universal. 

Any ideas?   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip Up Holder/Organizer/Carrier
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 06:40 PM »
thinking some 3 or 4" PVC pipe cut to length, then fastened to the inside of the bucket would work good.  Haven't tried it yet, But have seen where others have.   Cheap fix...  :tipup:

Offline perchkiller123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I use a old bee house for making honey. There are 6 slots in the Box and I can keep 3 tip ups in each slot.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:13 PM »
my neighbor uses an old golf bag, on the metal cart. many pockets for keeping stuff in. probably not so good in deep fresh snow though.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I use the taller wooden tipups, but I wrap my spools using velcro straps and lay them all in a canvas duffle bag.  This keeps the lines from getting tangled and eases transport and setup.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2015, 10:33 PM »
I collect and fish the plank style (beaver dams).  I picked up some plastic down spout material at Depot and cut it to my desired length (about 2/3 of the depth of a 5 gal bucket).  Then cut (ripped) a slot removing about 20% of the circumference/wall from one of the 2 wider sides.  what your left with is like a flexible spring clamp that accepts the tip up when slid into one end.  I then drill 2 sets of two holes thru that lined up with 2/2 in the corresponding spot of a 5 gal bucket.  Watch the cut corners as they are sharp.  I rounded them over.  Finally I'll lash them into the inside of bucket with zip ties.  You could combine them with pvc pipes for jigging rods into one bucket like i have but reel handles take up a lot of space. 4-6 rods/tips into one bucket seem about right.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:30 AM »
I pile all of mine into an old duffel. Not the most organized way though. Thinking of another way myself.  Might try a big plastic bin or something. I don't use tips enough to make things very elaborate.

Offline gravelman_6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2015, 06:36 AM »
Can be a pain to untangle twisted line and hooks that seem to catch everything some days except fish. I have put little pieces of styrafoam over the hook points and use bread bag ties to fasten line to trap or rods. Hate to retie hooks first thing out on the ice.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:05 AM »
I have the same tipups and I use a rectangular plastic laundry basket.  The basket is just a hair longer than the tipup so they lay flat in the basket, and it will hold about 2 dozen polars.  Works great, and fits in the jet sled nicely.  If you wind the line tight into the line guide, and have the guide tight against the tipup frame when you put it in the basket, tangles are very rare to non existent.

Looks just like this

http://www.shop.com/Rubbermaid+2965+85+Wht+1+65+Bushel+Plastic+Laundry+Basket+White+Rectangular-1358047652-p+.xhtml?sourceid=1414&utm_source=BingProductAds&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=251872&utm_content=Home%20Store%20%3e%20Cleaning%20Supplies%20%3e%20Laundry%20Bags%2c%20Baskets%20%26%20Hampers&utm_term=1326460942-0

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Here is where I got the idea to wrap my spools.  I bought the velcro on Amazon and a gromet kit.  They have made life much easier.  No tangles and I don't have to push the hook into my line and damage it. 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=239470.0

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Thanks for the links and ideas.  A lot of ingenuity out there. 

If man had to get to the moon with pvc pipe, duct tape, zip ties, and velcro, an ice fisherman would get there first.

I'm going to try putting something together this weekend.  If the design contributes to the advancement of mankind, I'll post a pic. 

Offline williev18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2015, 07:29 PM »
for my polar style tip ups I cut 12" pieces of pvc rain gutter down spout around the inside of a 5 gallon pail. had enough room for six tip ups with room in the middle for other small items.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2015, 12:21 AM »
Rectangular TidyCats Litter buckets are great for organizing tip-ups.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I went Redneck with my Polars. Works just fine.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Great way to recycle all those musty old suitcases! ;D
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:47 PM »
 ??? ::) See that's why life is so much easier here in NH.  One tipup and a jig rod on Big Lakes and 5 tipups and a jig rod on warm unregulated lakes and ponds.   Maybe that's why I've gone to drilling lots of holes and jigging more??
Dick

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:55 PM »
The standard rectangular municipal recycling bin fits perfectly in a jetsled junior and i put 15-20 tipups with my mix of heritage lakers and 40-ups.  So long as the hooks are secured i usually dont get any tangles. 

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:07 PM »
I use the taller wooden tipups, but I wrap my spools using velcro straps and lay them all in a canvas duffle bag.  This keeps the lines from getting tangled and eases transport and setup.
I was out on a "honey do" shopping excursion this afternoon and remembered your post. Bought 8 feet of Velcro straps and some small grommets. Will have something to do tomorrow setting up my wooden tip ups. Thanks!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Williev18      GENIUS IDEA!!! Light too!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.