Author Topic: January Gorge Trip???  (Read 7787 times)

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
January Gorge Trip???
« on: Nov 10, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Well since Musky is breaking the band up with his excuses of neck pains and new additions........ ;)

What are all your plans for Burbot this year?

I think I have a small break in the hockey schedule for the Jan 22-24 section, which coincidently is the BB..............I'm thinking of going the same place as last year. 

Anybody put any thought into it yet?

SLAP

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
Re: January Gorge Trip???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2015, 06:28 PM »
i am all in and I am down for the same spot as last year

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2015, 02:08 AM »
can i join in on this never done it and really want to.

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2015, 04:59 PM »
When does the gorge typically have enough ice to fish? Does the entire lake usually get a lid on it? Can you use snowmobiles or atv's on the ice? Sorry for all of the questions but I just had a son move to green river wyo and am thinking about a trip up there.
Thanks.

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2015, 10:35 PM »
Great spot last year, count me in as well as the rest of the geezer team. Will be great seeing everyone again. Maybe we could prop Musky up if he is willing. Speaking for myself Crappielover, the more the merrier. Great bunch of guys to fish with.

Offline hooffish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2015, 07:12 AM »
BB works for me!!!  Although I think we should work our way up there on the 21st. 
FISHING TIME!!!!!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2015, 07:42 AM »
I am game for anytime to go up I think this year I will be staying on the ice well see and anyone is welcome to come up to the BB its a great time for us kids  ;D ;D

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Going up a day or two early sounds great..I plan to take the Mother ship up again.

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2015, 10:04 AM »
When does the gorge typically have enough ice to fish? Does the entire lake usually get a lid on it? Can you use snowmobiles or atv's on the ice? Sorry for all of the questions but I just had a son move to green river wyo and am thinking about a trip up there.
Thanks.

We are generally fishing safe ice on the Gorge around the end of December/Early Januay.  The entire Gorge does not generally cap off, but the part closer to Green River does.  Just have to be extra careful around the sun side of the cliffs as the ice can be thin there due to the reflection of the sun.  We generally keep a good watch on the Wyoming boards for reports and conditions and use caution checking the ice as we go.  I have seen the ice up there go from over 15 inches to less than 8 depending on location.  We use ATVs on the ice as there is rarely snow on the ice, usually clear and slippery.  The Gorge is famouse for strong winds that create open water hazards so be aware.  The first year  I went up there was a 20ft X 40ft patch of open water by our entrance point that was 15ft deep but the ice was a comfortably safe 15 inches that year. 

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2015, 10:14 AM »

Anyone is welcome to go up!  Half the fun is meeting new people and having a great group to share the fun with.  Last year we met Geezer and crew and had a great time, before that Prospector and others who are regulars.  We haven't had a bad time yet!  We just might have to make bets on who is going to do a super-man dive over a tent line this year.

I will be dragging the trailer up and we will discuss details of location and logistics as we get a little closer.  I'm pretty sure I will plan on going up the 21st.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Man oh man, what did I get myself into. This whole time I kept telling my wife I didn't want to have a baby in December and now looking back  Jan/Feb/March & April were not the best months either  :-\ It sure is going to put a damper on my extended hard deck trips but its worth it. I will miss everyone and the great times this year. Hey Geezer if a prop was all it would take I would be there with bells on, literally. Looks like im getting a cortisone shot tomorrow and fingers crossed it will hold me over till Febuary for the surgery. Crappielover you will have a great time with this crew up there and anyone else that choose to join in. I would like video footage of the crash and burn slap  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

When does the gorge typically have enough ice to fish? Does the entire lake usually get a lid on it? Can you use snowmobiles or atv's on the ice? Sorry for all of the questions but I just had a son move to green river wyo and am thinking about a trip up there.Thanks.

Check this thread out. Read back thru the posts and you should be able to get a pretty good feel for the gorge and by all means feel free to ask questions. The folks on here are usually more than happy to share some info. Theres 69 pages of archives in there

Flaming Gorge report archive page
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2015, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Looking forward to making it up there.

Offline Jones3076

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I may be old but,.............I may be old!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Great time last year, looking forward to going again this year.  Always a good time with good friends and family. :thumbsup:

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:13 AM »
How late is there safe ice on the Gorge?  I am going to be near there the second week of March.

Ted

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:45 PM »
How late is there safe ice on the Gorge?  I am going to be near there the second week of March.

Ted

Varies from year to year.  Just keep a good eye on the Wyoming reports and conditions page to find out how things are going.  You never know, could be thick safe ice one year in March, could be open water in February some years.  Last year in January things were already starting to look grim!

Stay safe

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:15 PM »
I will second what SlaptheFish said about ice conditions varying from year to year. Last season, after about mid-February, I stopped fishing the Gorge as the areas that I like to fish for lake trout were becoming very unstable. I didn't even make to areas that had plenty of ice the year before. So it will all depend on how the weather is. Unfortunately, with the unstable ice conditions last year, a man ended up drowning. So be safe when you head out there at any time of the season.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Ryan and I are in. As far as ice conditions go, it gets very hard as soon as Matt has too much cider. His head on the ice can be heard from several hundred yards away. No wonder his neck hurts! ;D

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2015, 06:49 PM »
For sure. Just don't make us look bad.

Offline viajoe25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:53 PM »
We will be there for sure, our group that goes always has a good time. Usually we like to go up the weekend before the Bash and try a few spots out, not that it works out in our favor or anything, just an excuse to get over there more then anything.

Offline 49desotoman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2015, 01:50 AM »
Thanks for the info I will be getting off work on the 21st but plan on heading up there on the 22nd I'll be watching this post for more info thanks again
Stay warm and stay dry

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Thanks for the info I will be getting off work on the 21st but plan on heading up there on the 22nd I'll be watching this post for more info thanks again
Welcome to the shanty bud. Get that new tent of yours ready to camp on the ice. A twin mattress fits right in the tub of it. The Gorge is worth the trip. Setting hooks on Burbs can be very addictive. Can't wait to see your ice bike in action. Take care, Joe

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:51 AM »
I may be able to join in the festivities as well seeing that it is only a little over an hour drive for me but I will have to wait until it gets closer before I know for sure. My Cascade trip is the weekend before that so I don't know if the wife will let me get away again. What is the "normal spot"?

Offline Hitmanhite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:48 AM »
Did this a few years ago and have missed it the last two.......unless the railroad melts down, looks like I am lined up to make it this year. Anyone remember the guy who took the jeep out there a few years ago?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:54 PM »
I may be able to join in the festivities as well seeing that it is only a little over an hour drive for me but I will have to wait until it gets closer before I know for sure. My Cascade trip is the weekend before that so I don't know if the wife will let me get away again. What is the "normal spot"?

Good group of guys massNtrash. Should be a great time, regrettably I will not be able to make it THIS YEAR  :-\

Did this a few years ago and have missed it the last two.......unless the railroad melts down, looks like I am lined up to make it this year. Anyone remember the guy who took the jeep out there a few years ago?

Whats up hitman. You missed out on the last couple but thats ok theres plenty more to come. Like i said above I'm not going to be able to get up there this year but it should still be an ok time without me  ;)2 Good to see you back on here. I should be hitting the view a bit this winter so you will have to shoot over the loop and we can hook up
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2015, 01:03 PM »

We will have to see, I heard from Musky the water is quite a bit higher than it has been in a while so the regular spot may be a no go.  Looks like some scouting will be in order for late December or early January.  If anybody heads up, would be particularly interested in the conditions around Lost Dog.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2015, 11:46 PM »
Nothing funner than the Gorge. "Laker days and Borbout nights". Lucky enough to make 3 trips last year and hope to beat that this year. I would love to meet your group and shoot the breeze and ice some pouts.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2015, 10:21 AM »
Nothing funner than the Gorge. "Laker days and Borbout nights". Lucky enough to make 3 trips last year and hope to beat that this year. I would love to meet your group and shoot the **** and ice some pouts.
Let's plan on it. Leave the Bronco gear home though. That stuff is worse the gas on the hands when it comes to fishing! ;D

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2015, 07:44 PM »
well I am hoping to make it to the bash I am a coach on a soccer team and I got a tournament the second week in Feb so the bash just might not happen for me but maybe I can pull something out of the hat well see

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2015, 09:55 AM »
well I am hoping to make it to the bash I am a coach on a soccer team and I got a tournament the second week in Feb so the bash just might not happen for me but maybe I can pull something out of the hat well see

Make it happen!  As of now I can fit another in my trailer, so if you call dibs you can take this year off driving and hitch a ride with us. 

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2015, 01:18 PM »
believe me I am trying to make it work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.