New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45762 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #540 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:30 PM »
surf candy  ......and  the  epoxy bodys  hold  up  well  clousers  ..... big bunny strips  streamers  and  poppers ...... pickerel are  fun too

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #541 on: Feb 12, 2016, 09:45 PM »
dhal burger divers,  a few deceivers, half and half's, and a teaser barracuda fly in red and black rabbit strips  frogs always work no mater what you like... 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #542 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:17 AM »
Rg your going to have to use a flag pole for those. Maybe launch your chicken and bunny out of a Cannon.
 Rp
Maybe I'll try tying up some giant versions of that swimming fly I've been playing with......just as soon as I finish the other 12 projects I've got going ::).

Last night I was setting up my lathe to start wrapping my new 6 wt and plugged the foot pedal into the wrong outlet on the control. It blew the thermal cutoff out on the foot pedal. Now I have to cobble up something till I get another cutoff. I still have a couple lights to move around for better lighting over my rod bench......I have a new light for over my kitchen table to hang,......there's a pile of jigs waiting to be tied, and a freshly powder coated batch of bead eyes waiting to become crappie flies.  Not to mention the sausage I have to pickle today.

I guess the pike are gonna have to wait.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #543 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:23 AM »
Rg  guess your plate, or maybe should say your platter is running over.  At least it will keep you inside out of the Frost bite zone you have up there.  I see Raptortrapper scored a couple nice pike.  County worker and I both have Monday off, and planning on hitting Granby for some Laker action.  Good chance to test the scuds.  I better tie up some more.
Bud

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #544 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:34 AM »
There's always something to do around the house . My son actually came over last weekend and hung a new ceiling fan and light . I was fishing so didn't even notice it for a couple of hours. My wife pointed to ceiling after I walked under it a few times . I think the use of those flies have endless potential. Can't wait to see how far they can go.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #545 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:40 AM »
@chilly willy.  I use the boggs tackle maker. Not a cheap tool. But works wonders.  I buy bulk wire and twist my own.

The double blade spinners have a clevis for each blade.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #546 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:44 AM »
Forgot about the sausage......had some ready to pickle.

My son and I enjoy playing cards, sipping a couple cold ones and munching some delicacies. This is home made polish sausage that was a gift from my old friend Duncan. He passed away a couple months ago. I'll be thinking of him when we dig in. He loved the way I pickled stuff.

On to the lathe ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #547 on: Feb 13, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Question for you jthod, would the Boggs wire former work well for small diameter wire? I like tying up spin flies and would love to make my own small spinners.

Rg

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #548 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Man those jars look good  :P makes my mouth water  ;D
Bud

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #549 on: Feb 13, 2016, 04:53 PM »
i'm  sure Duncan will be  looking down  with a  smile  RJ my prayers

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #550 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:07 PM »
Yeah he will Trapper. He was one of a kind....the finest kind.

Well in between pickling sausage making stuffed meatloaf and all the other stuff I had going, I managed to get a start on my next fly rod.

I like it already.

Rg

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #551 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Very nice RG  :bow:. Help understand. You get a blank, guides, reel seat, and a bunch of cork rings then get to work on it? Watched a youtube video and I think I've got the idea... I think it's pretty damn cool. Wouldn't mind giving it a go ....SOMEDAY lol

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #552 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Well, I get the blank I want, the reel seat and insert I like, buy the guides I like and a grip that suits the rod. I already had a grip, seat and insert for this one. Bought a nice set of guides and started in.

As much fun as tying your own Matt ;D

Rg

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #553 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:42 PM »
That's what I'm afraid of  :woot:.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #554 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I promise I won't send you any rod building stuff ;D

Rg

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #555 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:12 PM »
 You've done enough!  ;). Do you use your fly tying thread for the guides?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #556 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:42 PM »
No. I either buy thread from a rod builders supply or use other. This one is being done with Sulky rayon 40 wt. I had a color I really liked with this blank. When it's finished with thread epoxy it will be a dark ruby red on a dark green blank.  It's for me and I like the combination.

It's as bad as fly tying. You'll become an expert in threads and craft stores and more.

Rg

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #557 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:41 PM »
Question for you jthod, would the Boggs wire former work well for small diameter wire? I like tying up spin flies and would love to make my own small spinners.

Rg

I only have the 'bit' for .051" wire. I'm sure it would work great on smaller wire with the corresponding adapter.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #558 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:28 PM »

Rg

boggs and twistech are great formers if all you do is spinner shaft and buzz bait etc in heavy wire and light...  if you make any kind of tools for fishing the boggs and twistech are not able to make them stuff like bait bars for tackle boxes boats etc.. it is basically a spring with eye to attach to some thing and to hang  plugs spinners etc from it....also makes spring for in between the spinner blades to space them from hook....even makes simple tools like that lure retrievers...  they make those from wire with a big split egg sinker.... they make fly retrievers to get your stuck in a tree fly out of the tree...   you can make spinner shafts with the tool I am talking about is janns net carft order number 415-710.... there is project in the book you will enjoy rg it will make those light spinners shafts to rg  but if you go over number 13 wire your going to want to go with the boggs or twistech or even the heavy duty wire former at janns .. like jthod does for musky the heavy wire is hard to from on the little tool I use but spinners like for fly rod's or even some thing like a mepps aglia used for trout and pan fish  is easily made with that tool I am talking about... here is a link to it.... they even show how to make rod guides out of single strand wire if you need a few pictures from the project book I am sure I can post them for you in hope to get a janns a sale  but am not going to copy page for page totally...so you can see what I am talking about  if any thing to help them out.... 

this is the tool in the tackle tool kit with mandrel and project manual...this is the one I would suggest you get you would be surprised what it has... if you make r bend you need another former to do it like the little blue bender for $25 janns item number 412-400...

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/041571000006.aspx

this link is for the twistech wire former...

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/421150.aspx

heavy duty wire former for $146 plus adaptors for the tool it is pricy...

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/043010100001.aspx

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #559 on: Feb 14, 2016, 12:58 AM »
The setups you guys have to tie and mess around with gear are inspirational lol. Caught a few with some nymphs and a bloodworm fly on a dropper off a daredevil so they can definitely catch some fish.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #560 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:07 AM »
well I sure didn'tgo threw many ice fishing jigs this year but I think I better make a order to janns any ways  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #561 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:30 AM »

Rg

I've made literally thousands of spinners and because Boggs, or the like was not in my budget. I used either handmade tools or simply a round nose pliers. I made some jigs for repetitive pattern work (like spinnerbait forms) but always bent loops freehand.

I started with some nails in a vise and graduated to roll pins set in a metal handle or placed on a board for a pattern. For light wire I'd go the pliers route, a 6" needle nose vise-grip is helpful too. X-acto makes a small one that works great and you can make the loop very tiny.

Bending wire is easy, you just need a little ingenuity on how to duplicate what you want. I once made a hinged twin spin with nothing more than wire, a couple of pliers and one to copy. KISS...... ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #562 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Rg got the recipe for what in the pickled sausage jars ?  Think I would like to try some of that.
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #563 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Sorry to bait you like that Bud ;D

This is a refrigerator recipe. They must be kept refrigerated and consumed within 5 weeks........like that's a problem.

Sausage: any cooked sausage that you like will do
Cut sausage into 1" pieces and boil for 5 minutes to reduce the amount of fat in it. Drain and let cool.

Pickling brine:
1/2 c. brown sugar
3 c. White vinegar
1c. Water
1 tbsp sea salt
3 tbsp pickling spices

Being all ingredients to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or so. Remove and let cool.

Pack clean jars with  sausage and sliced onions. Add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes if you like it on the hot side.

Strain the pickling solution to remove the spices and fill the  jars. On over tightly and stash them in the back of  fridge for as long as you can keep your pinkies out of them.

Enjoy

Rg

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #564 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:51 AM »
ah thanks Rg, kinda like what's on Cooks.com  ;D Good thing I have lots of jars, and two refrigerators  ;D
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #565 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:09 AM »
Yeah, that's a really common recipe.

Rg

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #566 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:36 AM »
With the nice weather last weekend tied up a few, and hit the river.

Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #567 on: Feb 14, 2016, 03:50 PM »
now you got me thinking of spring!!!!  nice  fish

Online IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #568 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:37 PM »
that tie really looks good  :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Bud

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #569 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:40 PM »
This went from vice to the pot but hey it all good ...I haven't been tying or fishing work has me busy.to much of grrr

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.