New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45760 times)

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #510 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:37 AM »
Thanks ,been lurking so long I forgot how to post a pic ;D
when I first got on this site I'd post pics ..learned the hard way as guys follow you out on the ice the following weekend  ::)
anyway them jigs are my favorite style those are in 3/8  but I see most are panfishreman  here,they go as small as 1/32.. what I really wanted to show was the collar...thanks for help

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #511 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:19 AM »
got  to know  ...did you carve the  mouse ????  and  RG  would  you mind  posting a  few close  ups???? ....really cool looking

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #512 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:04 PM »

Pretty cool eh Trapper?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #513 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Yes its hand carved, The rear eyelet holds a "hitch hiker" spring, that when the tail gets chewed up it can be easily replaced, I threaded it (the tail) on kinda funky so Bob would see how the tail is attached.  I was in a bit of a hurry to get it in the mail so didn't trim down the back end some.  So you might say its a one of a kind  ::)  The ones I fish I paint with an air brush, so they look like the real thing.  Well I think so anyway ::)  ;D  I know Bob, has some bass near by so gave it a popper mouth, just in case it went for a swim  ;D

I also carve some jointed rats, with a bill, for wake baits,  I gave one to a friend that took its hooks off so he could practice with a bait caster, went out side his rural home, began throwing it and when retrieving it along side his driveway (in the short grass) he then filmed a hawk that was trying to catch it LOL.

And wow what an honor, to have it on that table. :o
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #514 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:28 AM »
What wood are you using? I was thinking Of picking up some Whitewood at work today. It's light with little open grain. That looks like real fun ;)

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #515 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:25 AM »
Think that was a piece of ash Bob.
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #516 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:28 AM »
Rg, Whitewood ?  What is it used for mainly  ??? that Balsa ?
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #517 on: Feb 11, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Tulipwood actually, although some retailers substitute a variety of species for it. It's fairly soft, defect free and generally used for hobby/crafts. More dense than balsa, less dense than hemlock or fir.

Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #518 on: Feb 11, 2016, 03:47 PM »
i'm still  working  on a  way  to carry  my  flyfishing  geat on  the  motorcycle  ,think this  will be a  fun way  to  got  stream searching  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #519 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:51 PM »
I did it on my 650 Yamaha for quite a few years. All I can say is Fishpond back pack.

Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #520 on: Feb 11, 2016, 04:58 PM »
oh I  done  this  before  but  always   strapped  and  bungee  chorded  I  want  something handy and  easy  with things I  use a lot easy  to access I have  a  bates  hard  travel  trunk I put 2 rod holders on that ...large  compartment  can  carry my  waders  I  added  a  tank  bag on  top of that to carry  my thermos  and  lunch I have  leather  saddle  bags  and  tool bag  so I  have  room  for   extra  cloths  in  case I  go  for a  swim and I  can  acrry a  small cooler  if I  keep fish ...i'll get it  there

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #521 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:11 PM »
What about a side car there trapper. Can you even get one anymore.
 Safe riding
  Rp

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #522 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:22 PM »
ya  can  but  then I  might as  well  drive  the  truck i have  the  room to carry  everything  i  just want  it  arragned  now  so i can get to  what i want  quick and  easy

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #523 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:54 PM »
i'm still  working  on a  way  to carry  my  flyfishing  geat on  the  motorcycle  ,think this  will be a  fun way  to  got  stream searching  ;D

should post pic of what you got now maybe we can figure some thing out for you? if you need help? I am sure it has been done 1000's of times...   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #524 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:11 PM »
oh i'll post  pictures  i  think i want  to hook up a  go pro  and  record  some  of my trips ....

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #525 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:17 PM »
That would be great I'd love to see the video.
 Rp

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #526 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:33 PM »
oh i'll post  pictures  i  think i want  to hook up a  go pro  and  record  some  of my trips ....

please do post pictures! and video you do any editing seen some good one to good songs that might be worth wile? a guy I know bought a video editing soft ware and went to town with it only problem is it goes out of date to quick... like I was on windows xp how many years ago? now I am on windows 10 lol's?  now half the stuff I had for xp don't work lol's j/k  but for sure get pictures and videos don't know if $100-$1000 for soft ware is worth it to you or not? 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #527 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:07 AM »
chilly I wouldn't spend 10 dollars on software, I wouldn't know how to use it!  my kids got me a I pod and it sat in the box for 2 years till my grand daughter loaded music on it for me (I though you had to put mini CD's in it)

i'm just going to post some pictures of a few trips riding and the spots I find and a few fish ,i'm not a high tec type and I don't want to be ....RG took the time to explain photobucket to me ...i'm now at my peak technical photo skill level

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #528 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Yeah, but you still need a camera...unless you got a new phone ;D

I've got a GoPro. It's fun, but a pain in the butt to deal with. I had to buy a new computer just to process videos. My iPad couldn't even think about it and I haven't had a windows based computer in quite a while. Windows just plain stinks.

Rg

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #529 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:43 AM »
No kidding, they can't leave well enough alone.  Windows 10 ?  What's that ? more windows to window shop ?
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #530 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Well 10 is better that 8.1, but it still stinks. Can't turn the darned thing on without updating 4 different programs and then Windows.

My iPad updates once every few months and I don't even know it.

Rg

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #531 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Moved on to bigger and badder things.  I got toothy critters on my mind!

5/0 and 6/0 trebles, tied with a variety of materials. 

Esox approved.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #532 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Good looking spinners there.

I've been working on a crappie fly pattern, some craft fur minnows and crappie jigs. Spring fever I guess. Also started my 10' 6wt today.

Rg

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #533 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Moved on to bigger and badder things.  I got toothy critters on my mind!

5/0 and 6/0 trebles, tied with a variety of materials. 

Esox approved.

very perty! jthod do you build your own spinner shafts? I bought a tool from janns net craft that does it all I think it better then twist tec's tool and it was 33.95 with a book if you don't own it buy it you thank your self later.. I use mine for building spring cow bells for trolling etc  to bad I don't got a video camera or I would shot video of it in action it a cool little gizmo and the kit came with wire and a book for $33.95 can't beat that but yours are for sure very cool ties I got to try that some time.... 

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #534 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:05 PM »
@ jthod : the double blades are in the same clevis  ??? ??? ???
Bud

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #535 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:09 PM »
northerns are  a lot  of  fun on the  flyrod  as  well  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #536 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Mmmmmmm, bunny strips and half chickens....pike love them.

I've been spending some time on craft fur flies. I think articulated craft fur flies....big ones....would be a hoot for pike.

OYE! Yet another tying quest ::)

Rg

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #537 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Rg your going to have to use a flag pole for those. Maybe launch your chicken and bunny out of a Cannon.
 Rp

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #538 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Know a guy here in Denver that goes just about every year in Canada with his long pole and tosses nothing but Clouser Minnows he ties for Northern's I think his casting arm is about 4 inches longer when he gets home from battling some of those 40 inch ones he has pictures of. :o
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #539 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:07 PM »
I've made those trips. Used to go to Quebec for walleye and pike. The pike lakes were always a hike in. It's basically  tie all you got on to a hook or two, cast it out and hang on. Pike on the fly are a hoot.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.