New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45770 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #420 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:44 PM »
Lmao... ;D we can go to mff and dearrange over there ... ;D

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #421 on: Jan 29, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Thanks Chilly just had a chance to look over those links . First time I've seen them , more good stuff .

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #422 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Im doing a happy dance  :) Can you tell ?  Went to take out some kitty food for a stray that has adopted us, and found a Thank you card with $60 from a neighbor.  He's not in the best of shape, health wise, and I also clear his drive when I do the walks with my snowblower

I should know better :nono:, and made a list of what I actually need, but couldn't resist some, just cause it was on sale, or being closed out.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yay! Piece parts..... :thumbsup: I am a sucker for components. My imagination runs wild......
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #423 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:23 PM »
you test your water lately ?
Bud

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #424 on: Jan 29, 2016, 08:25 PM »
you test your water lately ?

nope have a private well...

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #425 on: Jan 30, 2016, 12:50 AM »
I have tied some good blood worms on modified scud hooks that I will use this spring for crappies and bluegill on open water this spring if the winter keeps up as it has. They will be as productive then as I hoped they would have been this winter, if we had had the ice. Oh well, so far no frozen pipes, no heart attacks moving snow.... Maybe we need to get used to cycles of one year having 26 inches of ice and the next, suicide ice. I live outside of Wolcott, NY within minutes of three great fishing bays and two good ponds. I am old enough to accept you take what Mother Nature gives you and make plans for what tomorrow may gift.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #426 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:18 AM »
Yup, I feel sorry for folks without hobbies, interests and passions. Especially in the darker months of the year when they so need something to occupy their minds.

This weekend I'm probably going to concentrate on finishing off the floor in the "Lab". It's time I set up the rod lathe. There's a 10', 4 PC, 6 wt , IM-6 blank down there that's waiting to be born ;D. That may sound confusing, finish the floor to build a rod.......but.....ther e's method to my madness. I've been covering the floor with Dry Core sub floor. We occasionally get some water in the basement during heavy spring rains. Seems I'm downhill from everything. In addition to giving me a dry floor, it will also be very level.

The lathe bench needs to be level. One thing leads to another ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #427 on: Jan 30, 2016, 08:12 PM »
I would love to build a couple more rods! I own half a dozen, built two fly rods already (last one is a sweet 3wt for smaller streams), and a couple of hand built ice rods would be a blast to create.  ;D

Offline DBLK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #428 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:00 PM »
This is the hook I am trying to find size 14 Gold Jig.  Pretty sure no one is making them that small anymore. I used to melt drop of solder just a little larger, into a hole in pine wood then insert the hook, Caught many 1¼-1½# gills on them, lost a few to 4-5# bass too :(  :'(

Nimrodstackle.com has 1/100 gold jigs. On the home page says if hook and head combination is not listed then ask him.
Hope this helps.
Kevin

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #429 on: Jan 30, 2016, 10:17 PM »
I get my small jigs from cabelas 11 bucks for 100 1/64...1/80....1/100..there under micro jigs..

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #430 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:06 PM »
Tied up something for tomorrow

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #431 on: Feb 01, 2016, 02:48 AM »
Looks like laker candy ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #432 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:59 AM »
Waiting for the snow storm, so might as well work on getting tying area set up
Doctor is in ready to operate

Bud

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #433 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Looks like laker candy ;D

Rg

Hopefully it will be brown trout candy this afternoon!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #434 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Beercap ? didya stick it to em ?

Made a little more derange today, glad I saved all those oak boards, will have to dig out the gallon pail with all the peg hooks I've been hording  ;D might have to do the back wall with more peg board that never got put up in one of the sheds ::)  Then it would look like a tackle shop  ::)

Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #435 on: Feb 02, 2016, 02:23 AM »
It's getting there Bud. Looking comfortable.

Rg

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:47 AM »
Beercap ? didya stick it to em ?

Made a little more derange today, glad I saved all those oak boards, will have to dig out the gallon pail with all the peg hooks I've been hording  ;D might have to do the back wall with more peg board that never got put up in one of the sheds ::)  Then it would look like a tackle shop  ::)

No, I didn't. I moved a pig though, he followed to the rod tip. Where I was fishing it's a good day if you see a fish. There aren't many but the ones in there are giant. Gonna try again later this week. May upsize the fly again though  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #437 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:08 AM »
Upsize? You'll be tossing half chickens at them pretty soon ;D

Fun stuff to see big ones following.

Rg

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #438 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:17 AM »
Big guy looks like we have a lt of dearanging to do. This has turned into an epidemic !!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #439 on: Feb 02, 2016, 08:30 AM »
I'm ARRANGING the rod building bench. Made some progress this morning. Woke up with a few ideas in my brain.

One step at a time. It'll get there.

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #440 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:14 AM »
Big guy looks like we have a lt of dearanging to do. This has turned into an epidemic !!!!
. I know this killing my eyes  :o :o

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:36 AM »
Upsize? You'll be tossing half chickens at them pretty soon ;D

Fun stuff to see big ones following.

Rg

I find that upsizing sometimes solves the commitment issues. Especially in conditions like the winter where the fish eat one big meal every week rather than many smaller meals. Don't be afraid to fish 8"-10" flies, a 20 inch fish is more than capable of eating it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #442 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:30 AM »
I find that upsizing sometimes solves the commitment issues. Especially in conditions like the winter where the fish eat one big meal every week rather than many smaller meals. Don't be afraid to fish 8"-10" flies, a 20 inch fish is more than capable of eating it.

I find the fly has to be on their nose to get them to eat this time of the year and streamers don't work for some reason unless the water temps go back up above 40+*F....  this is were I get out the center pin and hit the slack waters.. but hay if its working for you go for it...I may have to try it sooner or later?   

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #443 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I was thinking about getting a center pin how are they ..they easy to get used to looks like they could be tricky to cast out

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #444 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I was thinking about getting a center pin how are they ..they easy to get used to looks like they could be tricky to cast out
to save your self the money...
get a shimano reel like a 3000 series and a 9 foot 6 inch okuma celio float drift rod it is what I started out on ...you get use to the drifting then you figure out you can make longer drifts with the center pin and control it better but there is a big leaning curve from spinning to center pin Wallace cast versus a spinning rod cast...  you can side haul it at first but it wrecks like the first 50 foot of the line casue you get a lot of line twist from it... that were I would just go to a longer spin rod in a medium light action  like the 9 foot 6 inch then you can switch to a the drift  rig or swing rig... for fishing fast water in spring and float fish in winter a dual purpose rod if you will were the center pin is like my winter only rod.. trying to save you money if any thing also look for Michigan handle rods and run a canter pin reel on it seen this done and works awesome for me  I had a okuma   Connoisseur rods with the michigan handle....  in a 9 foot medium the shorter rod helps with shore fishing cause a 13 to 14 foot rod is impossible to fish from shore with trees shrubs etc lining the river banks..   

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #445 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:00 AM »
I find the fly has to be on their nose to get them to eat this time of the year and streamers don't work for some reason unless the water temps go back up above 40+*F....  this is were I get out the center pin and hit the slack waters.. but hay if its working for you go for it...I may have to try it sooner or later?

Once the water gets into the 40's the fish will chase a streamer as fast as you can strip. They will eat streamers in 32.1 degree water, you just have to slow down a bit. With smaller streamers I agree that you have to get pretty close to them to get a reaction. But with a bigger fly you can get them to move farther.

And of course not every fish will chase, most will just watch your fly go past. But winter is great time to fool those larger fish that would normally be completely nocturnal, which is key here.

Don't get discouraged by getting skunked on streamers in the winter. If you're not getting skunked a lot you're not targeting the larger fish in the system.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #446 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Once the water gets into the 40's the fish will chase a streamer as fast as you can strip. They will eat streamers in 32.1 degree water, you just have to slow down a bit. With smaller streamers I agree that you have to get pretty close to them to get a reaction. But with a bigger fly you can get them to move farther.

And of course not every fish will chase, most will just watch your fly go past. But winter is great time to fool those larger fish that would normally be completely nocturnal, which is key here.

Don't get discouraged by getting skunked on streamers in the winter. If you're not getting skunked a lot you're not targeting the larger fish in the system.

exactly what I was thinking...

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #447 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:09 AM »

me I would rather go the easy route and use spinning gear but it like learning to fly fish with a fly reel strip mend then retrieve on the fly reel in other words a big pain in the rump.. people I think do it for the same reason the fly fish like the snobs of fly fishing would not get caught drowning a worm...  these guys do it for the nostalgia of the center pin not cause it catches more fish or easier... 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #448 on: Feb 02, 2016, 11:17 AM »
man, I wish I had the room to arrange things like that. I got way too many irons in my fire. And my tying supplies are a disaster. I lent all my stuff to my son for a few months so he could tie some flies. I got it all back dumped into a cardboard box with my portable bench missing >:(. Which didn't pi$$ me off half as much as finding out he threw away all those "old worn out" fly tier magazines :'(.

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:41 PM »
I guess I'm lucky spider all my son does is wait until there there done and then takes what he wants ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.