New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45765 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #360 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Not likely!
We will, however, help you learn to tie if you want to. It's what this thread is all about.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #361 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:01 AM »
I fish brook trout ponds a lot on the pre-black fly period and again in August and September. Damsels are a stapale in these ponds.  I have always done well with a small wooly bugger ( size 10 or 12 9672), or a fly tied with a full and somewhat long marabou tail, , same material dubbed for abdomen, turkey tail for wingcase, partridge for legs, and burnt mono eyes, although I bought some small bead chain to try for next season.  I did best with Olive but also tied one on a whim using blue ice because so many of the adults are bright blue, and had a lot of hits on that.  Brook trout are not usually selective, but I spent three days last fall going fishless while the guy I was with hit fish on a NH pattern that looked like a darker version of a Hornberg, so sometimes the pattern definitely matters.)   

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Jan 27, 2016, 09:20 AM »
My damselfly pattern is basically a wooly bugger as well. I tie it on a regular shank hook and add a long but somewhat sparse marabou tail. then a wing case over some olive ostrich herl and some mono or tiny lead eyes.

I think the more realistic patterns with the braid body and such are more for catching fisherman than fish. Movement is key!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #363 on: Jan 27, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Is that the Orvis guide?

Thanks,
Rg

fly patterns of the Umpqua feather merchant's... is the name of the book any how let me know if you need better pictures ... I used my cell phone and they did not come out as planed no flash is why... any how let me know I can even tie them if needed....

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #364 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:04 PM »
OMG what have I done  ::) I knew my bro in Montana sent me a buck tail, forgot where I put it, went digging and find I have a lot more than I thought I did, even found hooks I had no idea they were in the buckets, bags, boxes, feathers, feathers,, and more feathers. Even found a Hedon cranky crawler, and a UMCO P-9 aluminum box.  Now the man cave looks like a tackle shop ::) Did get a local msg guy new to the area wants to take up tying  ;D

Anyone have a source for Mustad gold wire jig hooks size 14 ?

Thanks for naming the book willy. :clap:
Bud

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #365 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:11 PM »
I like  the  realistic  patterns  with the  big eyes  ;D  if  you  ty a  basic  wolly  bugger    don't  wrap the  hackle  the  whole  body length  just the  front 1/4 use a  micro  chen.  or  dub a  thin body  ......I love  olive  but often  brown works well too

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #366 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:31 PM »
see I have White river pearl chenille medium orange, and Krystal flash gold. maybe do a scud looking one with some brown body, and mono eyes.
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #367 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:36 PM »
My damselfly pattern is basically a wooly bugger as well. I tie it on a regular shank hook and add a long but somewhat sparse marabou tail. then a wing case over some olive ostrich herl and some mono or tiny lead eyes.

I think the more realistic patterns with the braid body and such are more for catching fisherman than fish. Movement is key!

Thanks chilly, I'm probably good.

I have  Dave Whitlock's "Fly Tyer's Almanac" from 1975 and he has a pattern with a detached tandem hook. Interesting tie. Might play with that for a bit.

Mcphail has a couple nice patterns too.

Love to see one of yours Beercap.

Rg

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #368 on: Jan 27, 2016, 05:37 PM »
Here's a couple I played with this evening.

Rg

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #369 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:10 PM »
Rg I think that would maybe a killer on the Gandby Lakers, I like it.  Watching some vids, looks like I will have to get some dubbing, and thin skin. and scud hooks. :whistle:

Those beads for the eyes ?
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #370 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Slowly my friend....go slowly!

Pick a pattern and work with it. Then pick another.

Rg

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #371 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:24 PM »

Rg

they look awesome rg  do you got any marabou around? in olive that's what a lot of patterns call for then they make a extended body out of the marabou the tips of the marabou drive the fish crazy but the nymphs do look awesome also try some ostrich hearl for the body warped like hackle  around the hook... I have also used mono eyes for the nymphs  I will see what I got to tie with and see if I can get a picture of it for you. I also have Shane stalcups book  it has a lot of innovative stuff in it ...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #372 on: Jan 27, 2016, 06:35 PM »
Yeah, I've got a bunch of different marabou. I just thought I'd play with the deer hair first. I'm not done just yet.  ;D

It's one of those ideas that pop into your head.

Rg

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:16 PM »
OMG what have I done  ::) I knew my bro in Montana sent me a buck tail, forgot where I put it, went digging and find I have a lot more than I thought I did, even found hooks I had no idea they were in the buckets, bags, boxes, feathers, feathers,, and more feathers. Even found a Hedon cranky crawler, and a UMCO P-9 aluminum box.  Now the man cave looks like a tackle shop ::) Did get a local msg guy new to the area wants to take up tying  ;D

Anyone have a source for Mustad gold wire jig hooks size 14 ?

Thanks for naming the book willy. :clap:

Might try jannsnetcraft. Com I believe its a 32755 gl thats a mustad gold  hook . 1 800 netcraft they are out of Toledo Ohio . Great place to deal with . They will send you a catalog , lots of neat stuff.

RP

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #374 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:40 PM »

Rg

Oh it will go slow enough, need to plan on how to set up the bar, so I can see things at a glance :wacko: found my small nipping tools, a bag of mixed feathers, some marabou, red/black/white. and come to think I should have a bunch of beads, found some Mac's wedding rings I thought were long gone, as I have been stringing beads & blades for trolling the Kokanee.  Haven't even investigated the sewing cabinet to see what I might pilfer  ;D 

Thanks rpdog, I have an older catalog from there around here someplace will check into that.  That's where I got my split rings for my wake baits.
Bud

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #375 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:47 PM »
here is on for rg to look at it is a damsel nymph

here is how to tie the tail I used a needle and needle threader to thread ostrich hearl threw the needle then threw the stretch tubing...

hook: tmc2457
tail: ostrich hearl and stretch tubing
body: ostrich hearl palmered like hackle
shell back and legs: are ring neck pheasant tail fibers
 eyes: are 12 pound mono made in to eye with a pair of pliers then sharpied with a black permeant marker ...

Offline MattyP123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH - HUNT - ICE
« Reply #376 on: Jan 27, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Segmenting that deer hair looks like it could frustrating!  :%$#!:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #377 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:12 AM »
Yeah, I like that Chilly. Did you weight it?

Not too difficult Matt. It's a good technique to learn for making extended body flies of all types. Start with foam to get the hang of it. I use darning needles and such from Wally World although there are commercially made attachments made for the purpose.

Just clamp a needle the size you want to use into your vise and build the tail. Then transfer it to the hook. Or you can throw the bobbin around the bundle with the material already tied to the hook.

Here's a good video on the latter technique .

Damselfly

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #378 on: Jan 28, 2016, 07:49 AM »
A couple more attempts.

I like the marabou body chilly!

It's getting there ;D

Rg

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #379 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Excellent Video  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yeah, I like that Chilly. Did you weight it?

Not too difficult Matt. It's a good technique to learn for making extended body flies of all types. Start with foam to get the hang of it. I use darning needles and such from Wally World although there are commercially made attachments made for the purpose.

Just clamp a needle the size you want to use into your vise and build the tail. Then transfer it to the hook. Or you can throw the bobbin around the bundle with the material already tied to the hook.

Here's a good video on the latter technique .

Damselfly

Rg

Bud

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #380 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:06 AM »

rg those last ties are awesome! ya deer hair just is too bulky for this fly as you noticed that why I had to tip you to it the marabou and the tube style... I am betting the gills hammer yours... by the way you could add small lead wire or even a small piece of lead foil to the body to help it sink I tied mine with out to prevent build up.... cause I was using 6/o thread.. if I use 10/0 or trio it would help or 8/0 I might be able to do it easier..   

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #381 on: Jan 28, 2016, 11:23 AM »
If you want to weigh a finished pattern what kind of scale you use ?  Think I would use my reloading powder scale, although its not digital.  Think I am going to pilfer Ma's sewing bobbin trays, She sure has a collection of colors ::) 
Bud

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #382 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Powder scale works great.

They're weighted Chilly. About 10 wraps of .030 under the thorax. I figure they're a bottom dweller. Next I'm gonna try thing them Clouser style, bottom weighted, hook up. It's a fun pattern.

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:23 PM »
I'm working on a crappie slab killer I'll post pic when I get it rite ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #384 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:15 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your work ;D

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #385 on: Jan 28, 2016, 03:32 PM »
'm getting into making tear drops for ice fishing or anytime fishing just sent an order out today I got the info from another member on here soilder gun soilder blade holder tray blades hooks 1000 blades and hooks.gonna make them t1 size wich is small..Gonna be fun

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #386 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:00 PM »

@big_guy_13021
all you need is a 25 watt solder iron, a pair of hemostats pliers to hold hook, and some thing metal to solder on ...I used my vises pedestal base to do the soldering on so it don't burn the wood table...  plenty of blades and solder it not hard to do it's just hard to paint them for me ...  when tiny so keep it in mind...for a small production shop you don't need more then that maybe some acetone and a scotch bright pads to remove the flux from the solder... really easy to do once you get it down to a science... but please to include pictures of yours so we get some great ideas!   

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:02 PM »
 ;D :clap: Yup extra hand works good

Bud

Offline rpdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Big guy you have to be carefull and only use small soldering iron with small light hooks. To much heat will make them brittle. I clean mine in vinegar then thinner  then clean vinegar again to etch the surface. Did you check your p m I sent you one about a week ago .

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #389 on: Jan 28, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Glad it holds a hook for you Bud..

Have fun.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.