New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45756 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #180 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:12 PM »
like  fungus  fly tyings  kinda grows on ya

I never seen those  at wal mart !  play  with them   ihave  come  up with some  cool patterens  and  the  eggs really do  catch a lot of  fish

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #181 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Let me know if you can't find them. I'll send some along.
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #182 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:33 PM »
oh I  have   plenty  from all seasons  but glad  wally world had  them

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #183 on: Jan 02, 2016, 06:28 AM »
I'm just starting to tie my own hair jigs and this thread is the cats Meow!

THX for sharing all the info!

Also thought I would post a video link from a guy that ties his jigs on the ice while fishing. This guy has a ball! Fun video IMHO.

Thanks for the link, Aaron's a trip. I've been addicted to his musky clips, he has some interesting takes on things and never gets too wrapped up in "perfection" (one of my problems). Toward that end this is probably a good place to share something Larry Dahlberg told me once: "It doesn't have to look perfect. I've seen gorgeous flies that can't catch a fish and others that look funky or unfinished yet just hammer 'em. It's about if they a good representation in the water. Do they work or act like something the fish want to check out or eat? That's what is most important." Good advice for beginners and people like me....

I've got literally boxes (and boxes) of bucktail sitting around and can pour lead in probably 20 different shapes and sizes from 1/64 to 3 oz. I played with some craft hair jigs a while back after In-Fish did an article on "float and fly". Very easy and very effective. Makes me wonder how those might do thru the ice on a deadstick. I'll have to dig 'em out and give a shot.

@Rg: Nice tip on the warmer. I know someone that will never miss one of hers...... >:D My basement runs a little cool in the winter.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Jan 04, 2016, 06:42 AM »
I have an extra vice I'll donate for someone that wants to get into tying .not an expensive one but gets the job done good days ahead to tie.send me a pm

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #185 on: Jan 04, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Way to pay it forward bigguy!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Beautiful flies. Ive tied many many many flies but never for ice season.  Im very interested and trying some of these out!!!! Way to go and thanks for sharing. Cheers from a New York Native Colorado Lifer!
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline iceholez

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 04, 2016, 12:21 PM »
I have an extra vice I'll donate for someone that wants to get into tying .not an expensive one but gets the job done good days ahead to tie.send me a pm

Awesome! ;D

Give a man a Fly he will catch a fish. Teach a man to tie and well.................. .
Fish, Eat, Sleep, Fish, Eat, Sleep.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #188 on: Jan 04, 2016, 01:57 PM »

Awesome! ;D

Give a man a Fly he will catch a fish. Teach a man to tie and well.................. .He'll be hooked

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #189 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:30 AM »
Been working on a few patterns.

Keeps me from twiddling my thumbs ;D
Rg

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #190 on: Jan 06, 2016, 07:22 AM »
real nice photos and some great flys.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Beautiful ! Do you guys thread a spike or waxy on or plain?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:20 AM »
Nice flys rg it looks like they should catch something I have ta get off my butt and tie a few..But then again little guy has been sick for a while he's just getting better now..

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Nice flys rg it looks like they should catch something I have ta get off my butt and tie a few..But then again little guy has been sick for a while he's just getting better now..
The little guy getting sick from Dads cooking?  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #194 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:34 PM »
Beautiful ! Do you guys thread a spike or waxy on or plain?

Maybe a spike or two if necessary. Depends on their mood.

Hope Little Guy feels better quickly!

Rg

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #195 on: Jan 06, 2016, 06:21 PM »

Hahhh! I'm a grandpa now and my wife hates when I refer to the grandkids as "mobile cesspools of filth and pestilence".  :roflmao: Our kids grew up and moved out, right away I got healthier. I can count on one hand the colds and flu I've had since then (around 10 years or so.)

Public schools and kids....... sigh.

Good luck man! Hand washing is paramount. I've got a cancer patient in the house now plus I work in food processing so I'm pretty diligent. It helps!

An Rgs flies? Ahhhhh..... I'm perpetually jealous!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #196 on: Jan 07, 2016, 02:16 AM »
No need to be jealous...just stretch those finger a bit and turn on the light over your vise.  Great therapy if nothing else.;D

A couple folks at work think I'm a bonafide germaphobe. I have a little bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket all the time and use it a lot. You'd be ill just looking at the computer keyboards in the store. Then there's the iPod's we use. Who knows where they've been. I shake a lot of hands, handle shopping carts etc...etc...etc.

Bad enough that my bride works in a middle school with 1200 raging germ factories visiting her in the lunch line every day. One thing I learned when I was a facility director at a very upscale tennis/ health club, is that people are, in general, the most unhygienic animals on the planet.......regardles s of their economic station in life.

Here's my tying tip of the day: (assuming your a right handed tier)
When you're having trouble getting the thread to cooperate while tying off the head of a fly and no matter what you do the loop keeps jumping off the head, give the bobbin a good counter clockwise spin and shorten the thread a little. You'll find that the thread will roll over towards your fly rather that away from it and make life much easier.

It works especially well when applying fussy materials like deer hair while using a pinch wrap to keep it on top of a hook. Also with small flies.

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Thanks rg...no bigal you clown he had a sore throat then out of the clear blue sky he got an ear ache in his rite ear ..drs all that stuff he's home for 4 hrs and then bam the other ear so he has a double ear infection he's getting better now..thank god.. ;D ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Thanks rg...no bigal you clown he had a sore throat then out of the clear blue sky he got an ear ache in his rite ear ..drs all that stuff he's home for 4 hrs and then bam the other ear so he has a double ear infection he's getting better now..thank god.. ;D ;D
Oh. I thought that you made him eat some of that liver and onions that you made the other day.  :sick: Hope he makes a speedy recovery.  :thumbsup:

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Love the rare shots of the Batcave where you work your magic,Bob. Stellar work,you clearly are gifted! Had some luck with the flies you gave me when I used them as a dropper below single beads on some Erie tribs. Funny thing is, every single steelhead hit your fly, and left the bead alone! Thanks again,hope to bump into you this winter. Ill be home in February.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #200 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I figured you were out in the briny blue somewhere.

Always happy to hear my "Field Testers" had some luck. We have an outstanding appointment at the Anchor for wings. Let me know when you get back.

Rg

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #201 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I figured you were out in the briny blue somewhere.

Always happy to hear my "Field Testers" had some luck. We have an outstanding appointment at the Anchor for wings. Let me know when you get back.

Rg

Wiiiiiiiings!!! Can they make 'em hot enough for me? Bet not :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

As far as field testing, I'm trying to set up a trip to a "secret spot". I don't believe they exist but Kyle says there is a new WI record gill in this water. Maybe your wonders will work the magic.  ;)2 I'll post pics of our trip. Gonna be tough to schedule but he says it doesn't matter; it's always smokin"......

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Hey guys, just joined the site, I thought I was the only one who tied flies for ice fishing! Anyways I wanted to share one of my favorite patterns. This one is on a cruddy jig but either way...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:45 PM »
Hey guys, just joined the site, I thought I was the only one who tied flies for ice fishing! Anyways I wanted to share one of my favorite patterns. This one is on a cruddy jig but either way...

(Image removed from quote.)

Welcome! How did you try to post the pic? There's a specific process to do it through photobucket jsyk. Kinda a pain to setup,  but easy once it's done
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Don't want to reply to the above in order to not repost that giant photo again. But I used the "direct" link in photobucket as I have in other forums before, they usually get resized! I'll make sure they are smaller next time, its quite obnoxious.

-Edit: found the instructions, will resize manually next time

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #205 on: Jan 07, 2016, 08:52 PM »
They worked  ;D didnt show up for me the first time. Good lookin stuff!
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #206 on: Jan 08, 2016, 07:41 AM »
nice fly,what do you get on it??
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline beercap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:32 AM »
nice fly,what do you get on it??
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I use this jig for whatever will eat it under the ice, I'm all catch and release so I'm not picky about what I catch

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Yeah buddy im out here,bobbing around in the Gulf. Pretty sure that Im one of the very few guys in NYS wishing for gas prices to go up. Times are tough out here in the oil fields. If it keeps it up, I may soon have alot of time to fish, which isnt necessarily a good thing in my case.  :(

If youre really insistent on going to that tourist trap called the Anchor Bar, its on me. Although i can name 10 other places id love to take you with better wings.

Ill be in touch,bud. Take care.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #209 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:36 PM »
I'll take better over tourist any time.

I guess it's the long term effect of economical cars. People just use less gasoline. That, and people finally learned to be a bit more conservative......well ......some people.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.