New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45759 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #150 on: Dec 25, 2015, 06:57 AM »
that and the tac-l tool model 20 for janns net craft .com it use to make those wire spinner baits also can be use to wax thread so get the book for it on tackle trick with wire I just got the kit for Christmas so it maybe out of stock or back ordered for a little while...just a heads up you can get the same set up on ebay for $25 plus $12.95 s&h but you get wire with the net craft kit so better deal some cool stuff In that book so you may want it just a heads up! even if you do not make your own spinner even if you troll lures etc.. etc... they even have plans on how to make bobbin for fly tying in it... tons of plan in it .... real neat stuff...

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Dec 25, 2015, 09:57 PM »

Makes an interesting woven nymph.

Materials are everywhere  ;D

Rg

I really like these bob.
Awesome job.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #152 on: Dec 26, 2015, 05:43 AM »
I really like these bob.Awesome job.

Hint. Hint.    ;)    ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #153 on: Dec 26, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Mac's far from bashful. If he wanted some he'd ask ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Dec 29, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Tried out some zooplankton jigs.

1. Tied on the hackle facing the eye of the hook.

2. Added internal color with floss.

3. Threaded on tungsten slotted tear drop. (found them on ebay from Aventik)

4. Coated jig with cheap 60 second set 2 part epoxy.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #155 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:15 AM »
Those look awesome! Let me know when you're having a sale...
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #156 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:22 AM »
Ooooo! I like those.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Dec 30, 2015, 03:51 AM »
jthod those are awesome.. have you tried rod finish instead of 2 hour set epoxy?  some thing like thread mater lite or high build? thread master lite is the clearest  stuff I came across so far for  finishes I use Devcon and gorilla glue epoxies like 5 minute set for rod handles etc etc... but those cure so quick the bubbles don't have time to release from the epoxy.... then they  get a milky white look with bubbles in the epoxy....  you need a fly turner the kind with a foam block on a bbq rotisserie  motor...   let tyhem dry in it for at least 24 hours that's 12 hour of harden time and leave them in the foam don't touch the flies till it is perfectly dry to the touch... check the mixed epoxy in the pot / cup for sticky ness ...  some times I touch my finished epoxy @12 hours and it is  to early and smudges are left behind ... is why I say that... by the way mix the epoxy 50/50 perfectly or it will harden to fast to much hardener or not cure at all to mush resin  if one is off by enough...  it is just a suggestion but I see crystal flash in the photo should wrap  that around the hook and put rod finish over it???so it sparkles under neath  the epoxy...those ice flies are awesome so let see what they look like after the rod finish  idea?  as a mater of fact I got some thread master sitting around mite try it my slef....  thanks for the idea if any thing.....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #158 on: Dec 30, 2015, 06:47 AM »
I got some awesome ice flies ,made out of peacock feathers, in the mail and they look great..     :)
Tied some on a couple ice rods yesterday...  One above a Halie and one above a jig...
Now I need ice..

Thank you KC....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:20 AM »
The 60 second epoxy is far from ideal, but I had is sitting around.  It's nice that it sets up fast, but the finished product isn't as good and clear as it could be with better epoxy.

I don't think the fish will notice.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #160 on: Dec 30, 2015, 08:31 AM »
I know I'm a broken record, but you gotta spring for some UV cure acrylic. So much easier.

Rg

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Dec 30, 2015, 11:05 AM »
yeah, say that $30 2oz tube at the tackle shop this weekend, and laughed. 

maybe someday.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #162 on: Dec 30, 2015, 01:35 PM »
Loon UV

Search a little and you'll get it for around $25. Don't buy their light. Way over priced. I can steer you in a good direction for around $10. A 2oz bottle will last you a really long time.

Rg

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #163 on: Dec 30, 2015, 02:12 PM »
That's the same brand the tackle shop had.

I have a UV light already for work, so I got that covered.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #164 on: Dec 30, 2015, 04:04 PM »
The UV light needs to be between 375 and 450nm if I'm not mistaken.

Rg

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Dec 30, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Ah, not sure what this one is.  It's a light for detecting florescent dye in AC systems.

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #166 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:01 PM »
I use my girls clear nail polish hardener. You may need a couple coats, but it dries hard and clear. And it's cheap - especially when you swipe it from your woman.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #167 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Rg you got me sold on the Loon acrylic. Just point me in a direction for the light. I looked @ UV lasers and they were all $25 and up. I leap at a $5 version.......or even $10.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:36 PM »
So I was bored. Cruising IS waiting for ice.... Figured I'd see what this thread was all about. By the end of it I want to tie flies and see if I can't trick some gills or brookies!

You guys are incredibly creative and very handy. Those spikes and scuds would fool me, let alone fool fish! Where should one look for somebody interested in starting out? Any recommended reading? Most of you seem to fish these as droppers, but what do you fish for? Im thinking I'm going to try to tie for brookies. I've never used a fly ice fishing, but I'm quite curious!
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #169 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:27 AM »
Here you go Esox.
Laser Pointer

It's the same one I use. 405nm. $10 + $2 shipping.

Adkrs,
I'm a fly fisher....almost year round. Tying keeps me from going coo kno in the off months. Using flies for ice fishing is just adaptation. Kind of a "Hey.....why not!". Turns out it works and opens up a whole new genre of flies to play with.

Tying your own just grows on you. The more you do....the more you do. I've given this same advice many times on this site and on MyFishfinder. Pick a fly you want to tie. Get the materials for that fly and work on it. Then move on.  You'll be surprised at how easy and fun it is.

There's a zillion YouTube videos you can watch. I like Tightlines videos a lot. They are very specific, simple and always offer a tip/trick or two. In fact, I was watching one the other day on a steelhead fly and learned a new technique for controlling thread on fussy materials. The Orvis web site always lists some, but you can search it and find their channel. The other I watch a lot of is Davie McPhail. He's a master......period. I've tried, and sometimes successfully, to copy many of his patterns. His knowledge of materials is unequaled in my opinion.

If you want a list of stuff to get you started, I'm sure we'll oblige. For now, all I'll say is, don't buy a kit! You'll outgrow it very quickly.

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #170 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:30 AM »
I use my girls clear nail polish hardener. You may need a couple coats, but it dries hard and clear. And it's cheap - especially when you swipe it from your woman.

Man....I've looked at those setups more times than I can count. If only my Bride did her nails like that :-\

Rg

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
« Reply #171 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:34 AM »
I bought a cheap kit when I started out. It came with a VHS tape made by Lefty Kreh. Great teacher.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #172 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:25 AM »
Thought is share a couple tips for using the UV cure stuff.

It likes to be warm. Not hot, just around 70-75 degrees. I found this scent warmer for those wax cube scents at goodwill for $1.

Works the nuts.

Bodkins.....you can't have enough of an assortment of bodkins for fly tying. I make my own from various stuff. Darning needles from Wally World work great.

As I said, I have a few UV lights. The laser pointer works the best.

Head cements etc. The head cements sold in fly shops are way overpriced as you'd expect. Get a variety of super glues and some Sally Hard As Nails and you have all you need. Zap a Gap is great stuff for certain applications.

The Loctite brush on is one of my favorites.

Double edged razor blades are great tools too. Again, cheap at Wally World or Big Lots.

And....don't forget your Popsicle sticks. All sorts of stuff you bpcan use them for like dubbing brushes and strip cutters.

Merklyb, I started with a pair of needle nose vise grips clamped to a bench and the good old Orvis fly tying guide. Still have it somewhere in my library ;D

Rg

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #173 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:20 AM »
Rg
GREAT info, thanks will use it
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:59 AM »
I'm just starting to tie my own hair jigs and this thread is the cats Meow!

THX for sharing all the info!

Also thought I would post a video link from a guy that ties his jigs on the ice while fishing. This guy has a ball! Fun video IMHO.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #175 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:13 AM »
Thanks Bob, just ordered my UV pointer. I haven't been much into small stuff but I've got most of what I need anyway. Nice list for beginners too....... :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #176 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:55 AM »
I'm just starting to tie my own hair jigs and this thread is the cats Meow!

THX for sharing all the info!

Also thought I would post a video link from a guy that ties his jigs on the ice while fishing. This guy has a ball! Fun video IMHO.

I've seen that guy's videos. He's a riot. Gets into the fish too.

Esox, let me know if you need anything.

Rg

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #177 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:00 AM »
having tied a few flies  myself  I must say I am impressed  with the collection of  bodkins....bodkins are the  first tool that is  misplaced  and are  always  found in strange places  once you don't need  one....I personally belive  they are  moved  by bench demons  but  bobs  point of making them is   a good one  you can have  several when you need one ( I am the worse for laying stuff  down and  not seeing it after)  but  also using a  piece  of  dowl for a handle you  can make them fit your  hand much better then the  then ones you buy .....

ps I shave  with a  double edge razor  wal mart is the cheapest blades I found

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #178 on: Dec 31, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Hey Trapper, I bought an item at Walmart that you told me about when we talked the other day. Several different colors. Found many more on line. Bought a little gun too. Started playing with them this morning. I like it!

On another note, Trapper was my inspiration to get back into tying after many years away from it. I lost all of my tying supplies and equipment in a bad basement flood and kind of gave up. With his encouragement and support I once again became hopelessly addicted to tying flies and fly fishing.

Thanks a lot you rotten SOB....you cost me a ton of money ;D ;D

Happy New Year bud! Health and prosperity to you and your family. I can never thank you enough.

Rg

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Dec 31, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Good stuff. I'll look into it. Fly fishing has been on the bucket list for awhile now. Was already planning on getting a kayak to fish some backwater adk ponds for trout. Might as well get into fly fishing too!
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.