The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: why is it that no one seems to be able to find an offset handle???  (Read 10030 times)

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
Polar Fire hand augers have been around for 4 seasons now, BRAND new under a hundred bucks. Not to be confused with a Polar Auger...Polar Fire
PFHA-6 is the 6 inch, PFHA-7 for a 7 inch, PFHA-8 is the 8 inch
Easily available online or at Bass Pro, Dick's or Cabelas, same exact style blades as Mora or SM, only difference is 50-100 dollars less
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Polar Fire hand augers have been around for 4 seasons now, BRAND new under a hundred bucks. Not to be confused with a Polar Auger...Polar Fire
PFHA-6 is the 6 inch, PFHA-7 for a 7 inch, PFHA-8 is the 8 inch
Easily available online or at Bass Pro, Dick's or Cabelas, same exact blades as Mora, only difference is 50-100 dollars less

Yes, and their blades are made in Sweden. That's Swedenjing, a little town just south of Beijing China.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Holes are the same. You can use the mora blades on them if you want to. Even buy a brand new auger and replacement blade at same time and save dough.
There is a major difference with an offset handle over any conventional handle.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Isn't the Polar Fire stuff made by HT? Most guys around here won't touch the HT stuff. Not saying it's right, that's just the way it is, here anyway. I've never seen a hand auger on the ice that wasn't a SM Lazer or Mora, but then again I fish locally for the most part. After looking at the website on the Polar Fire hand auger, personally, I'm considering one.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Polar Fire is a newer brand from HT. It is their premium tackle line...kinda like how Lexus is a brand owned and manufactured by Toyota.

There's a time and place for all levels of quality and price in the marketplace. For many of the guys just starting out, HT will most likely be their first set of gear based on price alone. Not everyone wants to drop thousands of dollars in gear when just starting out... That angler may graduate to other brands as they become more savvy or specialize in gear.
Personally, I feel it is highly unfair to compare a tip-up, jig rod, auger, shelter to one that is twice the price and compare it on quality...where else would you even consider that. I wouldn't buy a ford and expect a Ferrari. If you can afford to drive a Ferrari, great...but don't say a ford is crap.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

I just cant seem to find any on line .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Those are NOT the same as Mora blades, not even close.  They are more in line with the Lazer style. 

There's a time and place for all levels of quality and price in the marketplace.
  Sorry but no.  There should be no place for total junk on the marketplace, see "false economy".  If I go buy a new Ford it would actually work as advertised, which is sort of the opposite of my experiences with HT products. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Isn't the Polar Fire stuff made by HT? Most guys around here won't touch the HT stuff. Not saying it's right, that's just the way it is, here anyway. I've never seen a hand auger on the ice that wasn't a SM Lazer or Mora, but then again I fish locally for the most part. After looking at the website on the Polar Fire hand auger, personally, I'm considering one.

I had an 8in HT hand auger. No difference in quality vs a mora besides the cheap chinese blades.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Those are NOT the same as Mora blades, not even close.  They are more in line with the Lazer style. 

X2... Lazer style are about 100x harder to sharpen if you want to sharpen your own blades too...

<°)))>{

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
X2... Lazer style are about 100x harder to sharpen if you want to sharpen your own blades too...

<°)))>{
I changed my initial post as re reading it I realized my mistake. I did not mean strikemaster mora blades...the flat ones on the blue augers.
Lazer style curved blades like on the Lazer augers or Mora FinBore.

I apologize for the unnecessary confusion that caused.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict

I just cant seem to find any on line .
Polar Fire hand augers, online @ www.extacklestore.com

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
Anyone tried to put the handle in a Strikemaster product? Looks like it would work perfect.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
should work the frabill did same threading to

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
They are a 65$ with crappy Chinese blades. After you spend 35$ for real blades your around 100$ and close to the same price as a Fin-Bore

I recall Strikemaster going the way of china blades a few years ago, and they were so bad they not only went back to the blades made in sweeden, they also offered a free swap to anyone who had the crappy china blades.

They also have the unfortunate reputation of HT behind them. Which as many know, are known for making junk..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
HT makes some fantastic Products

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Isn't the Polar Fire stuff made by HT? Most guys around here won't touch the HT stuff. Not saying it's right, that's just the way it is,

I bought a ht polar fire auger last year to try out I cut the ice breaking bars that jam up at the end of cutting the hole any how I bent the off set  handle and about twisted it in to a pretzel it was made that cheap.. if I left the ice breaking bars on it I would have had a bigger problem with the off set handle etc... breaking etc...  cutting those bars of made it cut easier then having them... any how last ht branded products  I will buy ever again after seeing that handle fold under a little use... truthfully I was comparing it to strike mater, nils ,and the likes and boy it was junk... for the $65 I paid for it I would have been better lighting $65 on fire... that's my review of  the  ht polar fire auger for you...   

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
They are a 65$ with crappy Chinese blades. After you spend 35$ for real blades your around 100$ and close to the same price as a Fin-Bore

I recall Strikemaster going the way of china blades a few years ago, and they were so bad they not only went back to the blades made in sweeden, they also offered a free swap to anyone who had the crappy china blades.

They also have the unfortunate reputation of HT behind them. Which as many know, are known for making junk..

Maybe if you don't look around. I've seen an 8in HT hand auger for $40 and under a lot of times, and I've picked up shaver blades made from Sweden off of e-bay for $9.

I get a kick out of how every body acts like the hand augers are so different. They are all basically the same for the most part. The Difference is the blade style and the quality of the steel used to make the blade.

From what I've see there is about three types: The Nils cutting head, Curved hand auger blades, and shaver blades are the basic blade setups for most of the hand augers.

To my knowledge the shaver blades for the most part are interchangeable from brand to brand. It wouldn't surprise me if the Curved auger blades are to. I believe someone on here stated that he replaced the Fin-Bore blades with Lazer blades...........I often wonder if a guy got to the factory that mass manufactures the hand augers if they just paint up a set for each company with the color they want......Seems to be a fairly standard pattern to all of them. Except for the Nils.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I bought a ht polar fire auger last year to try out I cut the ice breaking bars that jam up at the end of cutting the hole any how I bent the off set  handle and about twisted it in to a pretzel it was made that cheap.. if I left the ice breaking bars on it I would have had a bigger problem with the off set handle etc... breaking etc...  cutting those bars of made it cut easier then having them... any how last ht branded products  I will buy ever again after seeing that handle fold under a little use... truthfully I was comparing it to strike mater, nils ,and the likes and boy it was junk... for the $65 I paid for it I would have been better lighting $65 on fire... that's my review of  the  ht polar fire auger for you...

Really? I had an 8in HT auger for a number of years. I sold it when I bought my 7in Eskimo. It honestly was made with the same amount of quality.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
funny you brought up about the blades there the same I tried them before I threw the auger In the trash my ht blades fit on my strike master and vise versa.. 

trust me there different now then strike master they use thicker better metal on the strike master handles...

here is the thread I did the wright up on it.. I had the blades o nit brake and the handle just cheap Chinese meatal is what it boils down to..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=302930.0

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Maybe if you don't look around. I've seen an 8in HT hand auger for $40 and under a lot of times, and I've picked up shaver blades made from Sweden off of e-bay for $9.

U have seen the auger we are talking about in this thread (Polar Fire w/offset handle) for 40$? If so, link please?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
funny you brought up about the blades there the same I tried them before I threw the auger In the trash my ht blades fit on my strike master and vise versa.. 

trust me there different now then strike master they use thicker better metal on the strike master handles...

here is the thread I did the wright up on it.. I had the blades o nit brake and the handle just cheap Chinese meatal is what it boils down to..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=302930.0

Guess it could be. The HT one I bought was bought maybe 5yrs ago. Might have changed since then.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Guess it could be. The HT one I bought was bought maybe 5yrs ago. Might have changed since then.

if it did not happen I would not have said it but it maybe the same one may not be.. I maybe to strong  to so you never know lol's... 

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict

if it did not happen I would not have said it but it maybe the same one may not be.. I maybe to strong  to so you never know lol's...
Did you contact customer service? Judging by your initial post, even if you did not want a replacement, they would have happily refunded. I have an 8inch hand auger of this model as a back up in case I run out of gas or incase of emergency and have cut hundreds of holes and never had this problem and never had a problem with dull blades...but maybe I am not strong enough...:-)
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Did you contact customer service? Judging by your initial post, even if you did not want a replacement, they would have happily refunded. I have an 8inch hand auger of this model as a back up in case I run out of gas or incase of emergency and have cut hundreds of holes and never had this problem and never had a problem with dull blades...but maybe I am not strong enough...:-)

They would have refused giving money back cause of altering their product ..cause of the ice breaking bars got cut off ... main reason I bought it was to see if the 8 would cut faster with out the bars...seems it will... other problem was I broke the original blade when augering  a hole  so I was not sure if I should try it on my laser auger...could have been the auger or  my strength who knows...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
was just contacted by a pro staffer on this form for ht enterprises  they offered to have to replace the auger free of charge..  see I feel they should not have to replace it.. reason being most of it was my fault...  but it just goes to show that your dealing with a good company that stand be hind their product with ht enterprises  and there trying to make it right ... which I do appreciate seeing!

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
I heard a rumor that Sportsmen's Direct might be getting some offset handles in this season that will work on Strikemaster, Eskimo, Clam, and HT hand augers.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
keep us advised on the handles I have always wanted one like mora uses on the augers

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
What is really stupid is that you can buy a "Canadian made" Strikemaster Lazer
in Canada that comes with an offset handle but you cant get one in the good ole 'USA.

Why would a company manufacture a superior version of its signature product and limit its sales to certain countries?

complete rediculousness!
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is really stupid is that you can buy a "Canadian made" Strikemaster Lazer
in Canada that comes with an offset handle but you cant get one in the good ole 'USA.

Why would a company manufacture a superior version of its signature product and limit its sales to certain countries?

complete rediculousness!

has to do with paten laws like patented paten pending etc... brother is going back to college to be a paten lawyer he is already bared her in Michigan and practicing. any how Canada is different then the usa and china and every other county that is why some on in this county already own the paten on the handle is more then likely the problem like ht augers see the problem....that why they sell the offset polar fire auger...if they wanted to they could pay royalty's on using it but probably won't...       

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.