The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: why is it that no one seems to be able to find an offset handle???  (Read 10029 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
What is really stupid is that you can buy a "Canadian made" Strikemaster Lazer
in Canada that comes with an offset handle but you cant get one in the good ole 'USA.

Why would a company manufacture a superior version of its signature product and limit its sales to certain countries?

complete rediculousness!

Strikemaster Lazer doesnt have an off set handle in US either.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Why not use rigid conduit and make one?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It would be easy to build, i would use ridgid aluminum because its lightweight and wont rust. Just have to know the dimensions.....

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Conduit is to light and besides it would crush where the wing bolt goes threw as it pinches the handle to one side of the lower part of the auger.  I suppose you could drive some round uhmw into the part where the wing bolt goes threw so it wouldn't crush. also getting the bends would be some what difficult to get right for a first timer using a bender.  I looked at all those options and found it easiest to adapt a nils handle and it works fantastic

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict

Nils Master, fabricate a adapter to fit a Strike Master.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Made 3 of them  ;D

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice work.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thank you they work really well well worth the effort everyone who uses them say i didn't realize how much difference the offset handle makes  ;D

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
The double offset handle is more efficient, your using both hands while drilling.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
I love it!!! ...about the only offset handles I see nowadays are bolt-ons!!! ...nothing wrong with that, but I'll keep on laughing when these kids need a hand auger!

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Indeed i really dont think hand augers should come any other way. Once you use them there is no going back up until this year i use to drill 50 to 75 holes a day for my wife and i as Idaho allows you to use 5 poles per person. This year i got a new power auger to try :) those extended 3 and 4 day trips will be much nicer. But here is how the augers drill

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Conduit is to light and besides it would crush where the wing bolt goes threw as it pinches the handle to one side of the lower part of the auger.  I suppose you could drive some round uhmw into the part where the wing bolt goes threw so it wouldn't crush. also getting the bends would be some what difficult to get right for a first timer using a bender.  I looked at all those options and found it easiest to adapt a nils handle and it works fantastic
Rigid conduit is stronger than the handle that came with my Lazer, it's pretty stout stuff.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!

has to do with paten laws like patented paten pending etc... brother is going back to college to be a paten lawyer he is already bared her in Michigan and practicing. any how Canada is different then the usa and china and every other county that is why some on in this county already own the paten on the handle is more then likely the problem like ht augers see the problem....that why they sell the offset polar fire auger...if they wanted to they could pay royalty's on using it but probably won't...     

I don't believe that it's patented because Strikemaster sold them as a optional item years ago. I bought one from their Strikemaster store.
A patent is good for 17 years and that offset handle has been available longer than that. It is strictly a money issue. The straight handle is cheaper to manufacture.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rigid conduit is stronger than the handle that came with my Lazer, it's pretty stout stuff.
I see i must have been thinking of the regular stuff

I don't believe that it's patented because Strikemaster sold them as a optional item years ago. I bought one from their Strikemaster store.
A patent is good for 17 years and that offset handle has been available longer than that. It is strictly a money issue. The straight handle is cheaper to manufacture.

I dont believe its that what i think it is if you make a hand auger the best you can that drills easy and fast you wont sell as many power augers.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I see i must have been thinking of the regular stuff

I dont believe its that what i think it is if you make a hand auger the best you can that drills easy and fast you wont sell as many power augers.

I doubt that. I would think it comes down to the mold or jig they use to make them. There is probably one manufacture that makes all the hand augers in the U.S. That manufacturer prya doesnt have offset mold or jig, so when asked about the offset handle the quote is prya crazy high.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Just buy a fin bor already comes with offset handle.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
I doubt that. I would think it comes down to the mold or jig they use to make them. There is probably one manufacture that makes all the hand augers in the U.S. That manufacturer prya doesnt have offset mold or jig, so when asked about the offset handle the quote is prya crazy high.

Is there any augers that are made in the USA ? Thought most of them came from China and Sweden now.  Almost everything from Sweden comes with an offset handle Strike master and  Eskimo both come from china now.  There isnt a company that imports hand augers in the US that doesn't also sell power augers as well so i think it is a possibility that they dont want you to have too good of hand auger just my thoughts   

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Made 3 of them  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Glad you made three! Now you can send me one and still have a spare! 😃

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lol I would but all three of them are stuck in augers wife says i have an auger problem  ::)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I bought a set of offset handles from Strikemaster for Lazer some years ago too. All my hand augers have offset handles as they are superior to inline handles. I guess the companies that sell augers in the states think Americans cannot move both hands at the same time to drill holes. ::) I love my Finbore hand augers which come with the offset handles but they can be hard to get ahold of here in the states, the few that come in go quick.

I suspect the reason we don't get the Mora Ice of Sweden brand ice augers like in Europe here in the US is all because of Strikemaster. Strikemaster gets augers and parts from Mora and they know their sales would go in the crapper if the superior Mora designed augers become available here in the states.

Offline Dustr

• IceShanty Rookie
I suspect the reason we don't get the Mora Ice of Sweden brand ice augers like in Europe here in the US is all because of Strikemaster. Strikemaster gets augers and parts from Mora and they know their sales would go in the crapper if the superior Mora designed augers become available here in the states.

We have a winner! What is sold here are the two lowest end augers by Mora of Sweden in the shaver blade and cupped blade style heads. Mora markets them over there as an introductory auger but with the offset handle as standard. I have never seen our ridiculous type of handle in the Swedish or Finnish secondary markets. I guess they must still be in negotiations about how much they would be forced to cheapen a higher end auger to satisfy the importers greed. Remember the China cutting blades? That never happened over there.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was glad to see the complete switch to Chinese blades came around and bit Strikemaster on the behind. Too bad the consumer had to suffer because SM wanted to increase their margins.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
Will the new telescopic fin bore handle fit the strikemaster,moras and Eskimos?

catch pike like its my job

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

From what I can tell the finbore is a lazer auger with the offest handle. I would think it should work.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Bump

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Just got a new Finbore last week...I will check and see if the handle fits on my old eskimo barracuda when I get home.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Made 3 of them  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)
Reel trouble that is nice work.i have a offset mora auger that's missing the top handle grip.what grips did you use?i cant find a replacement top handle grip for my offset mora auger anywhere.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like a primer bulb from a boat? LOL
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Well I tried the finbore handle in the old eskimo barracuda and it did fit, but it was a bit tight. The barracuda is a bit old though and might have a little rust inside the drill where the handle goes in.  The barracuda handle did fit the finbore drill no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.