The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: replacing fishing licence in Mi ( at Meijers)  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
replacing fishing licence in Mi ( at Meijers)
« on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:39 AM »
This last deer season, I got no deer, so , cleaning wallet, I threw out my old tags, I accidently tossed my fishing  tag, ( I buy turkey, deer combo an fishing, all at the same time), so when I realize my mistake , went to replace ( full cost). The guy at Meijers tells me I have to buy what he calls " the fish / hunt combo " for $ 35? I tell him there is no such thing. he tells me they will only replace it with what I bought, or will sell me a 24 hr. or 72 hr. tag.  No, I bought a "hunt combo" tag, and a fishing license, So I told him , " so you are telling me, to get a fish permit, I have to buy a in-valid deer tag with it? why not give me last years turkey tag too, and do you recall the reason I am here is because I just threw out 2 in-valid tags?" and he says " yeah don't make sense to me either. today I am going to Grab Bag to replace my fishing license ONLY, by the way , it is only good for a couple more months. I am trying to laugh, but it is difficult

Offline 870expressmag

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: replacing fishing licence in Mi ( at Meijers)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:46 AM »
yeah, Meijers really needs to get their employees up to date on what they are selling at the license counter.  I realize they are putting a minimum wage warm body at the counter, but they are choosing to sell licenses, they should do it correctly.  My employee, and my best friend both were told, and sold, incorrect deer hunting licenses this year at Meijers.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:15 AM »

Offline Rangerfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Last yr they started selling something I think is a sportscard, it's also a small game license, its 11 bucks, then of course one for fishing. the guy at meijer was doing what the state required.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Last yr they started selling something I think is a sportscard, it's also a small game license, its 11 bucks, then of course one for fishing. the guy at meijer was doing what the state required.
you're talking about the base license, not a sportscard.  the base license is required for hunting only.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:53 PM »
you're talking about the base license, not a sportscard.  the base license is required for hunting only.
         And fishing, don't think you can buy anything without base license

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:54 PM »
base license is only for hunting.  fishing is a stand alone license.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Learn something new everyday!!

Offline onderlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:38 PM »
My strategy:

Buy your licenses online.  Then, when you get to the "Print" screen, save the document as a PDF (or screenshot the page and save as an image).  Now you have your license in a computer file!  Save it on your computer and email yourself a copy.  Now if you lose your license, all you have to do is print a new copy from that file!  You'll never have to purchase a replacement.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:00 PM »
onderlin, how does that work with a kill tag?  I'm just wondering.

Offline onderlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:16 PM »
docbas brings up a good point,

The method I described probably won't work for any license you have to tag to an animal... at least I don't think so.  I've never purchased a hunting license over the internet.  But for your basic licenses, like fishing, it should work.  Anybody know if you can tag a deer with a license printed out at home?

Offline onderlin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:21 PM »
Looks like you need to have state-issued kill tags:

From the Michigan online license site http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx :

"Kill tags and some licenses and permits will be mailed via U.S. Mail within 7-10 business days of your purchase."

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:26 PM »
that's what i was thinking, just thought you'd had a different experience.  thanks for looking that up for us.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2015, 02:40 PM »
 I had to buy new lic. and base!!!!!! $35, Why? I was told to buy ANY tag , I needed  a base. I bought a turkey, deer combo, and fish at the same time. Why is it , I lost the fish tag, and the base goes with it? Why didn't the assholes sell us a base tag per lic? The guy at Meijers was spot on. and both of these will be in-valid in a couple months. I am not mad at DNR, but the next time some ***** comes up to me with a smile and a handshake to let me know he is going to represent me in this state, I will nothing short of tell him to F- off. You guys suck

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:12 PM »
they charged you wrong, martian.  the base license is not required for fishing.  that being said, I'm not sure how the lost license thing works... contact the dnr directly and ask them, anytime i have contacted them on the phone they have been helpful to me.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:42 PM »
martian, i stand corrected.  just looked on the dnr website, says cost for replacement license is same as original price.  when you bought the combo hunt/fish license, that's what they will replace.  makes no sense to me to replace invalid hunting licenses, but that's what it says on the website.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:30 PM »
docbas brings up a good point,

The method I described probably won't work for any license you have to tag to an animal... at least I don't think so.  I've never purchased a hunting license over the internet.  But for your basic licenses, like fishing, it should work.  Anybody know if you can tag a deer with a license printed out at home?
         They send kill tags in the mail!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:03 PM »
martian, i stand corrected.  just looked on the dnr website, says cost for replacement license is same as original price.  when you bought the combo hunt/fish license, that's what they will replace.  makes no sense to me to replace invalid hunting licenses, but that's what it says on the website.

why buy a replacement? just buy a new fishing only license.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:16 PM »
why buy a replacement? just buy a new fishing only license.

good point there... rules are rules when you buy replacements licencees. so why not think here and just buy the license only ? it a lot cheaper... if your 65+ i think it cheaper yet then the $26 it some thing like $13-$14 bucks instead of the full price.. just a heads up my dad almost bought one this winter but i told him to wait till next year for his birth day the 65+ is why..... the licence would be $26 for 3 months but to wait 3 months and pay $13-$14 bucks would be better for next year i think, right?     

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I think the DNR has to get some of these 'bugs' worked out of the new system..All the goofy requirements are probably because the software won't allow things to operate in a rational world..JMO

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:22 AM »
 I assumed , that when I said I want to buy a fish lic. they would have punched me up, and seen I had one. and again, I have no grudge against DNR, only the asscracks who pull their chains., but again I bought all those tags at the same time, why not really double down, and make me buy them all over again. I think next year, if I have unused tgs, maybe I will sell them on e=bay, as it seems they still have value. I was told by a number of friends, take your chances, and if you get caught, say you left your wallet home they look you up. and you purchased a tag, and have a big history of doing so, but I hate to tempt luck thanks guys, is what it is

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Last week I had to buy a replacement license, first time I ever lost one. It was $25.00 and says right on it "Replacement license".  Kind of a lot of $$$ for one that needs to be replaced in March but it's a lot cheaper than a ticket for fish poaching. Since I have been checked by DNR many times while fishing on ice and open water I had no problem with the price!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:14 PM »
 on your lic. they charged you for the fish lic., , which is what I wanted, but they said mine was fish hunt combo, so I had to be paid $35. . The guy told me I should have bought my tags seperately, I asked him do you go grocery shopping , for 1 item at a time? oh well

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Last week I had to buy a replacement license, first time I ever lost one. It was $25.00 and says right on it "Replacement license".  Kind of a lot of $$$ for one that needs to be replaced in March but it's a lot cheaper than a ticket for fish poaching. Since I have been checked by DNR many times while fishing on ice and open water I had no problem with the price!

:tipup:
NBG

good move to you sir  those fine can add up buddy of mine got caught duck hunting out of season 2 ducks in the boat $1000 for every one each person on the boat.... they took there guns  etc .. from what i hear he was out one day out of season forgot to check the regulations and other people drag the buddy  out there...  so he was not trying to poach....  they seen the guy that called them at the launch frickin jerk did not even say any thing about them being out of season hid it from the group of guys.. just wanted to be a jerk i guess... could have told them there out of season is why i say that... any how don't do it don't get caught is the best way to look at it .... also talk to several guys around here to some that said the fine is $500 for the first fish over you limit and $10-$25 for each fish after that but hear it different for pan fish to salmon etc.. any ways just don't do it you wont get caught etc...etc...       

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:05 AM »
This is what Michigan calls a simpler way for us to get a tag?? LMFAO   I only bought a ORV and fishing tag this year that's it! First time I didn't deer hunt since I was 14!  That is how you send a message to those THUGS in Lansing. Trust me if everyone were to do the same we would be back to the old way of doing things and that would be YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!  Now they want to sell you things you don't want or need, it's POLITICAL BS at best!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:17 AM »
good move to you sir  those fine can add up buddy of mine got caught duck hunting out of season 2 ducks in the boat $1000 for every one each person on the boat.... they took there guns  etc .. from what i hear he was out one day out of season forgot to check the regulations and other people drag the buddy  out there...  so he was not trying to poach....  they seen the guy that called them at the launch frickin jerk did not even say any thing about them being out of season hid it from the group of guys.. just wanted to be a jerk i guess... could have told them there out of season is why i say that... any how don't do it don't get caught is the best way to look at it .... also talk to several guys around here to some that said the fine is $500 for the first fish over you limit and $10-$25 for each fish after that but hear it different for pan fish to salmon etc.. any ways just don't do it you wont get caught etc...etc...       

When I'm out fishing and see someone keep an out of season fish I let them know about it. If they ignore me then that's when I make a phone call. Shoot one time I got into an argument over a fish someone tried to keep. They tried telling me it was a perch when it was obviously a small LM bass. They even showed me a picture in the DNR book. They did end up throwing it back and all I could do was shake my head and laugh.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2015, 04:16 PM »
When I'm out fishing and see someone keep an out of season fish I let them know about it. If they ignore me then that's when I make a phone call. Shoot one time I got into an argument over a fish someone tried to keep. They tried telling me it was a perch when it was obviously a small LM bass. They even showed me a picture in the DNR book. They did end up throwing it back and all I could do was shake my head and laugh.

very kind of you same way i do it..

Offline streak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:48 PM »
I did the same thing as Martian a few weeks ago and tossed my license the same way. Spoke to the some DNR officers about charging the full price on the license, and they seemed to agree with me that full price seemed really a steep price for being stupid. Lets face it you loose anything else but a tag or a license you get a break. Anyway, they said to write the DNR office in Lansing and complain. Well, I've sent 6 letters to them by email, and I still haven't received any word back, so starting Monday I'll start a new letter campaign complaining about how I'm not getting any response from the DNR. Lets face it, a couple of years ago the replacement was $3.00, and it's not like they can't see that you bought one. >:(

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:23 AM »
They can take you drivers license number and look it up on their computer to see if you had bought one but OH NO! 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:26 AM »
They can take you drivers license number and look it up on their computer to see if you had bought one but OH NO!
  Yes they can, but states right on license must be carried on person!  You can drive your car without license also and they can look your name up, but your gonna get a ticket, just follow the rules and no problems!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.