Author Topic: When to set the hook?  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
When to set the hook?
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I know every situation is different, but is there a general rule of thumb about how long to wait before setting the hook when fishing with tip ups. I usually am targeting northern and bass with single treble hooks #8. Either 40# flouro or 17# with steel leaders. Large roaches typically. But looking to try larger baits this season. Any suggestions for fishing larger baits as well?

:tipup: Capt Phil

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: When to set the hook?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:22 PM »
This appears to be a good application for a quick strike setup.    ;)2

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:01 PM »
What's the difference in rigging/setting the hook with quick strikes? Are they easy to tie yourself? I don't like crimps so I'm not sure if there are store bought ones without crimps.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:19 PM »
This appears to be a good application for a quick strike setup.    ;)2

Amen Brutha!

@ Capt. Phil: Here's a crimpless connection with no special tools..... http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=232844.msg2345762#msg2345762

Designs for Q/R rigs abound on this site but I prefer the "old fashioned" in line jobs. Had great success and no real reason to change.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Thanks Esox! I was also wondering if using larger baits like suckers should I take some of the water from the lake and add it to bucket with bait to help acclimate them to them temps? I've heard they can be somewhat fragile

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Esox I checked out your quick strike rig... Is the adjustable hook free sliding or is it locked in place somehow? Everything else I can do :flex:

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:59 PM »
This is the style of Quick Strike rig that use, also I set the hook as soon as I feel the fish is on the line.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:09 PM »
My adjustable hook free slides. It is kept from flopping around by the heat shrink tubing and if that is where the hook up occurs it simply slides down to the fixed hook. If the leader gets all kinked up, and they do, I just salvage the hooks and swivel and tie up a fresh leader. Uncoated wire is dirt cheap, very reliable and positively cut proof. The 20# test I usually use is not a "hook 'em up to the winch and crank 'em in rig" I still consider it finesse so don't horse.

Some folks do lock the hooks in place and that's OK as long as they are sized to your bait. Either way works.....

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:17 PM »
@stripernut: is that a flouro leader? If so what pound? Also do you bury one hook completely into the bait like that so the other two lie tighter to the body?

@esox: do you have any pics of a completed rig? I was thinking of using 20# 7 strand coffee colored stainless wire is that what you are using? I believe the brand we carry at bps is mason

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Flouro 40-50lb (when pike fishing) and I set the small hook (There called Double Rider hooks) in the bait completely.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Flouro 40-50lb (when pike fishing) and I set the small hook (There called Double Rider hooks) in the bait completely.
I'll look into them. Thanks for all the advice. I'm really trying to land some larger pike this year. Have access to a lake this winter where we caught numerous 40+ northern and musky during the open water season. Best northern was 48.5" and best musky was 51"

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:28 PM »
If you can't find the hooks (they are hard to find) they are not that hard to make. You can also use them on wire.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:37 PM »
No pics from here, I'm on the road and won't get back until Monday.

20# "camo" or "coffee" 7 strand is exactly what I use. Make sure it's the uncoated stuff for that connection. It's not as kink resistant as the nylon coated stuff but it's easier to work with, just as strong and more flexible. Landed pike and muskies to 51" on it.

I use more commonly available treble hooks but smaller than convention might suggest. My largest hooks are a pair of #6 trebles, EC L954 0r L774. They are super sharp, straight point, short shank, 4x strong hooks. Never had one straighten out or break. I am able to cover a 15" bait with that set up.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Thanks again guys. Esox sent you a pm.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:46 PM »
I am impressed with the success shown here. WOW.      :bow:

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:53 AM »
In reference to your original question about setting hooks, if you go with a single hook setup, just remember that pike like to play.  They will normally hit you bait, drag it a few feet, spin it around, then go for the kill shot.  I personally use circle hooks and I like to practice a lot of patience at the hole,  I have sat there and stared at my button a foot off the reel for a minute + numerous times to see that second hit take the bait for a ride then patiently apply pressure after another few seconds of spooling.  Hope all the advise on here helps you land some of those 40+ beasts.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:45 PM »
In reference to your original question about setting hooks, if you go with a single hook setup, just remember that pike like to play.  They will normally hit you bait, drag it a few feet, spin it around, then go for the kill shot.  I personally use circle hooks and I like to practice a lot of patience at the hole,  I have sat there and stared at my button a foot off the reel for a minute + numerous times to see that second hit take the bait for a ride then patiently apply pressure after another few seconds of spooling.  Hope all the advise on here helps you land some of those 40+ beasts.
When you are using circle hooks you aren't really setting the  hook though right? Just like using them in open water you just apply tension to the line correct?

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Correct
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I usually wait until the flag release stops spinning and then I take line in by hand until I feel the slightest resistance and then cross its eyes!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2014, 10:36 AM »
then cross its eyes!

Now i really can't wait for ice   ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline salp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:16 PM »
In my opinion it all depends on the species your going for. I agree with what was said about northerns. I wait for the second run after they flip the bait around. That second run is a doozy!! Walleye are tuff in my opinion. Time just does not make a difference. I swear they will just hang on to the bait for ever. You can wait 30secs or minutes. You will still feel the bait pop out of their mouths. It's just a feel thing and go with you gut! Also, take what the fish will give you. Change your tactics and methods.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2014, 02:37 AM »
Keep the opinions coming. Everyone has their own way and taking everything we learn from everyone on here we can out everything together and come up with our own way.
Little warm from comin here so unfortunately that is gonna delay me getting out onto the ice for a little while.

Offline Icer for life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Flag
Run to hole and watch it spin
Then watch is stop spinning
Then wait....when the second run takes off, SET!

Just what an old time taught me when i was a kid.........40 years later, missed some, caught more.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2014, 01:58 PM »
If it's spinning steady when I get to it then they get T-barred instantly.  If it's not spinning, or just twitching a bit then I'll give it a little time, if they don't start moving I'll spin off a foot of line by hand, pull the tipup, then gently pick up the slack and feel for signs of life. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Flag
Run to hole and watch it spin
Then watch is stop spinning
Then wait....when the second run takes off, SET!

Just what an old time taught me when i was a kid.........40 years later, missed some, caught more.
X2, except I don't run to the hole.  Usually once I see the flag is up I give it a minute or two and then get my bait bucket and head over to the tipup.  Always wait until the 2nd run for me.

Offline forest_parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:46 AM »
While salmon fishing I like to let the fish "digest" the hook,  letting the flag sit for maybe 10-15 min

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Pic up slack slowly slight weight cross eyes
Getem caught

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Patience like any other bait fishing. It's not finesse.  You want that tip up line to load like when trolling, stretch is good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.