Author Topic: Best Quality Quick Strike Rigs  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best Quality Quick Strike Rigs
« on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I was just wondering what some of the quick strike rig aficionados opinions were on who makes the best rigs. I don't have the means to make them at this point in time and I'm looking to pick up a few before the season starts.
Edit- I'm looking for hooks in the sizes 4-6.

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best Quality Quick Strike Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:17 AM »
I just use two good steel leaders and then put whatever hook you want on.  We can only use dead bait so I rig with a quick strike in a horizontal position.
Blake from Elbow

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Easiest thing in the world to make.

All you need:

20-80 leader wire(or floro I guess)
Treble hooks
Crimps
3 way swivel
Pliers and wire cutters

Cut your 2 wires in 4-8 inch long pieces and crimp trebles on one end of each of them(crimp hard so they dont slip, especially if using coated wires). Once you've got two pieces with trebles on them you can then crimp the two of them to two of the holes on the three way swivels, leaving the top one to tie your tip up line to. Some guys run another leader wire up from the top in case they really inhale it but Ive never done it and never had a problem with fish up to 25+ pounds.

I personally use 50-80 pound steel non coated with 1/0-3/0 treble hooks and they work great with big pike.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Second City Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2012, 01:11 PM »
TB has a nice one.  Has Red hooks and you can adjust how far apart the hooks are depending on the size of the bait..

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2012, 01:44 PM »
X2 on the Northland rigs.  Very durable and easy to set up.  Available everywhere too.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2012, 03:02 PM »
I make the best Q/S rigs, of course.......... but that's just my opinion.  ;D

Not sure what "means" you might be lacking. All you need is some uncoated wire, hooks, swivels and some heat shrink tubing. All items should be found fairly easily in a sporting goods shop except you would need to go to a hardware store for the tubing. Don't sell yourself short......If you use uncoated wire, it's very easy to work with and you don't need crimps.

To make a rig, tie on the swivel first. Then slide on the tubing and the adjustable hook. Tie the end hook on, move the tubing down on the shank of the middle hook and heat to shrink. Done...........

The secret to these things is in the "tie" connection. The only tool you really need you likely already own (besides something to cut wire with). It's a forceps. You know, one of those locking mini-pliers we're all so fond of using for getting hooks out.

To make the connection:

1. Put the wire through the eye (hook, swivel, jig whatever).
2. Loop it around and pass it through a second time, going the same direction both times.
3. Pull up the loop and leave about an inch or so tag.
4. Lock the forceps on the tag end and twirl it around the standing line. Just grab each end and let the forceps wrap the tag around the standing line.
5. Trim the tag. Done.

I know this sound too simple to work but trust me............I've made literally thousands of these things with zero (0) failed connections. Once you get the hang of it you'll be tying leaders on jigs and spinnerbaits so you don't lose 'em to toothys when fishing for other stuff. See the diagrams below for a visual reference......

Naturally, I made a little tool that does a much neater job both easier and faster, but that's not a necessity.

An investment in wire, terminal tackle and tubing is both cheaper than buying finished products and more satisfying. Plus everyone that's buying stuff retail will want to be your friend. What more could you ask for???

1. 2. 3.   4.  5.

Give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself!

P.S. - Don't twirl the forceps around and hit yourself in the face. Don't let it fly off into your buddies face or out into the lake.............. And don't ask me how I know these things. ::)

/m

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2012, 11:15 PM »
I think I will make my own, but I just hate to lose the pike of a lifetime because of a faulty leader that I made.

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2012, 01:05 AM »
X2 on the TB rigs, very high quality I've been extremely pleased with them

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2012, 02:55 AM »

Consider it stolen!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2012, 04:13 AM »

Not sure what "means" you might be lacking. All you need is some uncoated wire, hooks, swivels and some heat shrink tubing. All items should be found fairly easily in a sporting goods shop except you would need to go to a hardware store for the tubing. Don't sell yourself short......If you use uncoated wire, it's very easy to work with and you don't need crimps.

To make a rig, tie on the swivel first. Then slide on the tubing and the adjustable hook. Tie the end hook on, move the tubing down on the shank of the middle hook and heat to shrink. Done...........

The secret to these things is in the "tie" connection. The only tool you really need you likely already own (besides something to cut wire with). It's a forceps. You know, one of those locking mini-pliers we're all so fond of using for getting hooks out.

To make the connection:

1. Put the wire through the eye (hook, swivel, jig whatever).
2. Loop it around and pass it through a second time, going the same direction both times.
3. Pull up the loop and leave about an inch or so tag.
4. Lock the forceps on the tag end and twirl it around the standing line. Just grab each end and let the forceps wrap the tag around the standing line.
5. Trim the tag. Done.

I know this sound too simple to work but trust me............I've made literally thousands of these things with zero (0) failed connections. Once you get the hang of it you'll be tying leaders on jigs and spinnerbaits so you don't lose 'em to toothys when fishing for other stuff. See the diagrams below for a visual reference......

Naturally, I made a little tool that does a much neater job both easier and faster, but that's not a necessity.

An investment in wire, terminal tackle and tubing is both cheaper than buying finished products and more satisfying. Plus everyone that's buying stuff retail will want to be your friend. What more could you ask for???

1. (Image removed from quote.) 2.(Image removed from quote.) 3. (Image removed from quote.)  4.(Image removed from quote.)  5. (Image removed from quote.)

Give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself!

P.S. - Don't twirl the forceps around and hit yourself in the face. Don't let it fly off into your buddies face or out into the lake.............. And don't ask me how I know these things. ::)

/m

Been doing the same thing for close to 30 tears now. I wish Berkley still sold the 8# uncoated Sevenstrand wire. Makes a great Walleye rig in Pike waters. Almost invisible to the Walleyes but capable of bringing in big pike.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:01 AM »
When I make quick strikes, i use #8 off set trebles and 30lb mono. They worked good for pickerel...probably not robust enough for a big pike though. These rigs lasted through dozens of pickerel without serious damage. But when I tried using a piece of the same 30lb mono for bite leaders when fly fishing, it got completely shredded on the first fish...go figure..   
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:20 AM »
I think I will make my own, but I just hate to lose the pike of a lifetime because of a faulty leader that I made.

I would much rather lose a pike on something i made than on something I paid for.

Alot of people who make their own make them because of a faulty premade manufactured leader they bought.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.