Re: WD?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:14 AM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Most effective when applied directly on corn, you'll wanna fish deep for best results .

And would be a good idea to research "fizzing", tor avoid harming fish.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Just got a can for this season...   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:26 AM »
I like a small spritz on my crackers and herring.  :whistle:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I have a buddy that uses this religiously all year,boat fishing,bank fishing and ice fishing,I laugh at him but there has been several occasions that he out fishes me,He sprays it on anything he fishes with.  Here is a little tidbit about the product. I have heard many other discussions on the making of this so believe in what you want. I do know its great on squeaks and rusty bolts.  LOL

According to the company that makes WD-40: WD-40 literally stands for water displacement 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who helped develop WD-40 back in 1953. Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula for WD-40 on his 40th try.

Rocket Chemical Company
WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California. The team of inventors were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

WD-40 was first used to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. Norm Larsen repackaged WD-40 into aerosol cans for consumer use and the product was sold to the general public in 1958. In 1969, the Rocket Chemical Company was renamed after its only product WD-40.

Interesting Uses for WD-40
Two of the craziet purposes for WD-40 include a bus driver in Asia who used WD-40 to remove a python snake which had coiled itself around the undercarriage of his bus, and police officers who used WD-40 to remove a naked burglar trapped in an air conditioning vent.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:55 AM »
See what you started wyo!  :roflmao:

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:07 AM »
See what you started wyo!  :roflmao:

I've already got the dead horse memes ready to go once this gets out of hand!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Heard guys swear by spraying on bait, never tried it!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I'm only trying to help.     :bow:

Water Displacement 40 is very "old hat"'

Welcome to the space age.      ;)2

This product was even combined with Dr Juice for several years, but, alas, was discontinued many years back.

The use of MP replaces :  deicer, fish attractant, non-staining lubricants, well, If you have the patients, just read on.    :bow:

MP Metal Protector

High-Performance Spray-On Metal Surface Protectant

Displaces water and protects metal surfaces from rust and corrosion. Provides a light film that prevents metal-to-metal contact. Excellent for use on guns, hinges, squeaky mechanical objects, electrical systems and more. Penetrates existing rust buildup. Also dries wet electrical systems.
Product Code: AMPSC-EA

Package sizes include:

8.75-oz Spray Can

Warranty MSDS Data Sheet

AMSOIL Metal Protector (AMP) is a high-performance, easy-to-use spray-on product that lubricates, displaces moisture, protects against corrosion and penetrates to free rusty parts. It does not form gum or sludge.

AMSOIL Metal Protector effectively lubricates moving parts, silencing squeaks without gumming up mechanisms. It displaces moisture from freshwater or saltwater to help prevent corrosion, and it is the product of choice for drying and protecting electrical and ignition systems. Metal Protector penetrates deep through rust and corrosion to restore movement of rusty parts. It is excellent for protecting firearms and other fine componentry, and it helps prevent jamming, especially in cold weather. Metal Protector contains no silicone, and is compatible with plastic, leather, fabric, fishing line and paint.

Cuts through rust & frees frozen components
    Helps protect against rust & corrosion, even in salt water
    Displaces water
    Stops squeaks
    Clean
    Sprays into hard-to-reach places
    Protects electrical equipment
    Ideal for firearms & other fine componentry
    Lubricates moving parts

Recommendations
Shake well before use. Spray product on area to be treated. For best results, do not wipe off. Film carrier will evaporate, leaving Metal Protector protection in place. Disconnect power source to electrical equipment before spraying.

Availability
AMSOIL Metal Protector is available in 8.75-oz. spray cans and should be just a bit over $6.34.
AMP Packaging Information Code    Package Size    Unit of Measure    Product
AMPSC (AMPSC-EA)    8.75-Oz. Spray Can    Each    MP Metal Protector
AMPSC (AMPSC-CA)    8.75-Oz. Spray Can    Case of 12    MP Metal Protector

Offline Moosedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:00 PM »
MP actually stands for More Perch ::)

Offline vttroutman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I usually don't post much, but this topic always bothers me a little. WD is a petroleum product. It is a myth that it's fish oil like many believe. We might as well be putting gas and oil on the line and dumping it into the water that you are eating your fish from. Just my thoughts.
See below for the link.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Good luck fishing

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:24 PM »
I'm gonna post em, wyoutdoors!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:25 PM »
MP actually stands for More Perch ::)

:thumbsup:    I'm all for that !     

:icefish:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I'm gonna post em, wyoutdoors!!!

I was just thinking about that zjlooney... I betcha wyofarmer woke the kids up as soon as mrs. wyofarmer got them to sleep too!  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:37 PM »
How is it on stains.....
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I usually don't post much, but this topic always bothers me a little. WD is a petroleum product. It is a myth that it's fish oil like many believe. We might as well be putting gas and oil on the line and dumping it into the water that you are eating your fish from. Just my thoughts.
See below for the link.

Good luck fishing
                             Yeah, I'm glad the boats in the summer don't leak or disperse oil and gas in the water, I've seen boats fill up and "burp" out into the water!  Wouldn't think a little squirt would be all that bad from what you see in the summer!!!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:47 PM »
I prefer this stuff.  Gets them ready for the the frier.

EDIT: Resized, 'cuz it hurt my eyes - wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Don

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Most effective when applied directly on corn, you'll wanna fish deep for best results .

And would be a good idea to research "fizzing", tor avoid harming fish.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

This might be the greatest reply to ever grace the pages of ice shanty.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:42 PM »
WD-40 is made with shark oil and it works great for catching suckers just spray it on a big hook gobbed up with night crawlers and them ol suckers cant resist  :icefish: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:47 PM »
See below for the link.

Good luck fishing
I would bet if you put a squirt in a glass of water the same amount you would on a hook you wouldnt hardly  taste it let alone say 5 guys on a lake putting a squirt onto some bait in say a lake like Pathfinder or Flaming Gorge its about the same I bet  :woot:

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:50 PM »
It upsets me more to see all the trash laying on the ice by the end of the season and the pure disrespect for others using the lakes by leaving it that way.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:59 PM »
It upsets me more to see all the trash laying on the ice by the end of the season and the pure disrespect for others using the lakes by leaving it that way.

I've found it settles my nerves to pick up all I can and haul it off the ice for a ride in my truck.    Ommm !      ;)2

At times, 3 big black bags make the Frabill flipover look like a garbage wagon.      :cookoo:    :%$#!:

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:45 AM »
I have used it quite often summer fishing, usually put some in a ziplock and soak my bait in it for a bit. I have had times that it really helped get the fish to bite. I have done some tests with it drifting with two poles within a few feet of each other and the bait in about the same place along the bottom and you actually catch more fish with the WD40, believe it or not.  Another observation, if a person just gives the bait a shot before it is put in the water, the floors, side walls and other equipment get a protective coat too from the over spray, thus kind like multi tasking while fishing. funtwohunt

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline threelungs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:48 PM »
WD-40 also helps the corn sink for chumming without it your hole looks like corn chowder we tied it, it also makes you really hungry after 2 or 12 beers.
"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose." ~Yoda

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2014, 01:24 PM »
WD40 is also a great wolf repellant. When icefishing in the Bighorns I kill 2 birds with one stone-Spray it on my lure, and also spray a barrier around my portable shack. It works a little like a dog collar-The wolves walk right up to the invisible WD40 radius, but will not cross. I religiously practice this safety barrier and thus far have not been attacked by wolves while icefishing. Just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck out there... and safety first.

So many fish, so little time.

Offline koloskier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Newbie to the Site, I found this thread to be one of my favs so far. Looking forward to tapping into some of the great wisdom on the site.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2014, 04:16 PM »
WD40 is also a great wolf repellant. When icefishing in the Bighorns I kill 2 birds with one stone-Spray it on my lure, and also spray a barrier around my portable shack. It works a little like a dog collar-The wolves walk right up to the invisible WD40 radius, but will not cross. I religiously practice this safety barrier and thus far have not been attacked by wolves while icefishing. Just thought I'd share my experience. Good luck out there... and safety first.

That probably keeps the dreaded Snow Snakes away too!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty, Koloskier.    ;)2

Enjoy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.