Author Topic: How do you all like the inline reels?  (Read 4318 times)

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
How do you all like the inline reels?
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:48 PM »
I'm going to give one a try this year.
It's a No.8 Tackle Co.  CGI reel that I put on a St.Croix light action rod.
The drag on this reel feels awesome compaired to my spinning gear.
This is going to be my walleye rig for jigging Rapalas and Pimples.

mike

Offline backstrapassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How do you all like the inline reels?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:51 PM »
I'll Sell You Mine. Got One Last Year. Used Once. I Don't Prefer them

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:01 PM »
I too got one last year and didn't like it much . My be just the one I got though I bought the cheeper Eagle claw . But what didn't like about it was the free spool was eather to tight or to loose . I also kept having promlems catching my fingers on the spool when reeling in line or a fish . This happened most of the time when I was wearing gloves though .

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I too got one last year and didn't like it much . My be just the one I got though I bought the cheeper Eagle claw . But what didn't like about it was the free spool was eather to tight or to loose . I also kept having promlems catching my fingers on the spool when reeling in line or a fish . This happened most of the time when I was wearing gloves though .
I bought 3 this year..I better like them...Oh well if I don't. :tipup: :afro:

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:30 PM »
So this post isn't going too well so far :o
Tightliner812, I think the Eagle Claw and the No.8 Tackle CGI are the same reel.
I guess worst case a spinning reel can be swapped onto the StCroix rod.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I`ll stick to my pfluegers, but I am curious... Aren`t the inline reels directed more towards the lighter setups, not the heavier jigging raps?

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I don't think so..I bought them mainly to stop lure spin!! :tipup: :afro: :afro:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I have four of the 13 Fishing Inline reels.  Two of BB-6061s and two of the Teardrops.  Like them all.  No problem with big game fish for either of those models.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Mike, I got the 6061 last year. Never had a chance to fish them. Got mine to eliminate line twist/spin. Toyed around a bit last year and the free spin is a bit tricky. Like everything else, you just have to get used to it. Hope to give it a try this year.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Both the CGI and Claws are ok. Claws been revamped a bit longer stem and drag seems smoother. If the drag seems to spin all the way out on loose setting just add another washer or bend the one inside just a bit more. They are what they are and ok for the money. If your looking for a Cadillac inline the BB 6061 imo is the best for panfish and the teardrop for walleye and bigger fish. I also love the stradics  CI4 faml  when I dont drop them in the lake!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:13 PM »
For anyone looking to buy the 6061 e-bay is selling some for 70 bucks including shipping. Good price last season you couldn't find them cheaper than 99.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I have 2 of the eagle claw's and used them all last year.  It takes a bit to get used to them, especially if you have a shorter cork handle and use a pencil grip for jigging.  Once you set the hook it is a bit of a shuffle to get your hands turned around.  Overall I like them though, I still use open faced reels also.    I just bought two of the 6061's on sale, so far they look like a nice unit.  I restrung all of my rods last night, so i'm about ready.

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:18 PM »
i have 2 of the 13 reels and one of the clams,like most guys,I havent had much time to play,but am banking that they will reduce the line coil.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Mike, I got the 6061 last year and put it on one of those fancy custom bricker rods. Never had a chance to fish them. Got mine to eliminate line twist/spin. Toyed around a bit last year and the free spin is a bit tricky. Like everything else, you just have to get used to it. Hope to give it a try this year.

You spent 100 bucks on a reel and another 150 on a custom rod to drop line straight down a hole?  And to top it off, you never used them during the season we had the best ice in 20+ years?  I hope you get to use them this year too as that is a lot of money in one combo that sits 10 months out of the year.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Both the CGI and Claws are ok. Claws been revamped a bit longer stem and drag seems smoother. If the drag seems to spin all the way out on loose setting just add another washer or bend the one inside just a bit more. They are what they are and ok for the money. If your looking for a Cadillac inline the BB 6061 imo is the best for panfish and the teardrop for walleye and bigger fish. I also love the stradics  CI4 faml  when I dont drop them in the lake!

I agree adding the extra washer helps the drag on the lighter settings.  If you fish with 4 lb line for pan fish you can probably get away without because you can tighten the drag down.  If fishing with 1# or 2# you will want the extra washer.  Also adding some reel oil to the bearings and some grease to the gears makes them work a bit smoother.  They don't come well lubed from the factory.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:41 PM »
Where could I pick up the extra washer at?  I fish 1 lb line a lot.  I looked for the carbon washer material on ebay to cut my own, but could never find it. 

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:43 PM »
You spent 100 bucks on a reel and another 150 on a custom rod to drop line straight down a hole?  And to top it off, you never used them during the season we had the best ice in 20+ years?  I hope you get to use them this year too as that is a lot of money in one combo that sits 10 months out of the year.
And I thought the $44.00 I spent on my combo was alot ;D
Al, lets get on them eyes and try this new
gear out!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:47 PM »
the BB 6061 kicks arse! My favorite reel for ice fishing or verticle jigging.

Offline ValparaisoGirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Good question; I'm trying to figure out which reel to pair with what rod.  Still learning about all the details.  Gladys won a custom ice rod and I have one too, just not sure what to pair with em yet.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Where could I pick up the extra washer at?  I fish 1 lb line a lot.  I looked for the carbon washer material on ebay to cut my own, but could never find it.

The washer that comes in them is a metal spring washer.  I could not find any similar sized spring washers at the hardware store, so I got a flat nylon washer that basically serves a spacer to allow the spring washer to put more pressure on drag at its lighter settings.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Thanks Wax.  I will have to do some looking around for a nylon washer.  I haven't messed with the 6061 drag just yet, but I know the eagle claw's were very finicky.  More then once I was cranking air when I had a fish on.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Guess that is the way it goes when you get them at the end of the season. It is just money-isn't it for spending???? Glad I got it last year , this year is going to be a fat goose egg when it comes to buying more new gear.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I bought one of the Eagle claw inline reels last year and fell in love. I know its not one of the high dollar black bettys, but I dont see the need to spend a hundred dollars on one. Ended up buying three more for myself and a pink one for my girlfriend. The biggest plus for me is I dont get the line curl anymore. To each his own!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Thanks Wax.  I will have to do some looking around for a nylon washer.  I haven't messed with the 6061 drag just yet, but I know the eagle claw's were very finicky.  More then once I was cranking air when I had a fish on.
I found them at Ace hardware.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Guess that is the way it goes when you get them at the end of the season. It is just money-isn't it for spending???? Glad I got it last year , this year is going to be a fat goose egg when it comes to buying more new gear.

AL don't let those green thick lip carp fishermen long rod Jay hawkers  give you any slime! Those are pretty nice customs and are too nice to fish with. You almost hate to get them dirty lol. Wax has more invested on the low flying aircraft windsocks on his long rods.  ;D

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:03 PM »
AL don't let those green thick lip carp fishermen long rod Jay hawkers  give you any slime! Those are pretty nice customs and are too nice to fish with. You almost hate to get them dirty lol. Wax has more invested on the low flying aircraft windsocks on his long rods.  ;D
They better work I got 50 dollars into them..and I think that is plenty....aircraft wind socks  :tipup: ::) ;D

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 PM »

???  Are you talking about the rod socks on my bass rods?  Those are there to prevent tangles in the rod locker and cost 3 bucks each.   ::)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:42 AM »
???  Are you talking about the rod socks on my bass rods?  Those are there to prevent tangles in the rod locker and cost 3 bucks each.   ::)

You could of played along... I was trying to make Al feel better! It is that time of year to spread cheer and BS (Bass Stories JT!) Lol

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:07 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:13 AM »
As little as AL seems to fish I think he could have gotten by just fine with the $3 Slaters reels like the ones that I use.  The reels that I use don't work for fishing inside of a shanty though, but I don't fish in a shanty 98% of the time.  I guess if you sight fish a lot inside of a shanty I could see getting a better reel.  Cant see spending a lot of money though for ice fishing unless you are fighting big fish often where the drag comes into play a lot.  Like if you were to go to Erie multiple times each year.  Hopefully this year I make it out there and can ice my first walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.