Author Topic: How do you all like the inline reels?  (Read 4319 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: How do you all like the inline reels?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:31 AM »
never fished one but holding them felt strange. i dont know what advantage i would gain over my small level winds i use for jigging already.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:05 AM »
For anyone looking to buy the 6061 e-bay is selling some for 70 bucks including shipping. Good price last season you couldn't find them cheaper than 99.

$49.99 at gander mountain.
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:13 AM »
wow, what a great deal. Stock up before black Friday. Cant beat 1/2 off.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Wow! My $4.95 Scobeys looks pretty cheap! Works for me !!!! Had  two tiny casting reels with super drags for 15 years, a little heavy. Then bought two tiny spinning reels 2 years ago. Went back to old Scobeys. Nice and light on my 5' super rods and 2# test.
Old school.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Wow! My $4.95 Scobeys looks pretty cheap! Works for me !!!! Had  two tiny casting reels with super drags for 15 years, a little heavy. Then bought two tiny spinning reels 2 years ago. Went back to old Scobeys. Nice and light on my 5' super rods and 2# test.
Old school.
Teach

5' rods! I'd need to mount a scope on the handle to see the end lol.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 26, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Old school.
Teach
I have a couple of those long rods. With the right spring bobber they will out catch most short rods. Great on clear water cause you are back from the hole. Can be a bit challenging when the winds are howling.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:54 PM »
never fished one but holding them felt strange. i dont know what advantage i would gain over my small level winds i use for jigging already.

I have a couple of the Eagle Claws, and they are great for fishing jiggin raps for perch in deep water.  Your lure doesn't spin, the retrieve ratio is great, and you have a drag.  That being said, I still mainly use my cheap schooley's when fishing gills in 15' or less.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Never really used the inline reels. Don't really have anything against em besides their weight, but if I catch fish with spinning outfits and schoolies, why would I switch? Obviously there will be less spin, but I think there are only a handful of scenarios where spin makes as much of a difference as people think/claim (aka, 90% of the time I can still catch fish with 'spin'). Schoolies have stood the test of time for a reason, and that's because they work. They also don't have that much spin. Schoolies and long rods is my favorite way to fish, and IMO will always be one of the most effective ways to catch gills, crappie, and perch.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Never really used the inline reels. Don't really have anything against em besides their weight, but if I catch fish with spinning outfits and schoolies, why would I switch? Obviously there will be less spin, but I think there are only a handful of scenarios where spin makes as much of a difference as people think/claim (aka, 90% of the time I can still catch fish with 'spin'). Schoolies have stood the test of time for a reason, and that's because they work. They also don't have that much spin. Schoolies and long rods is my favorite way to fish, and IMO will always be one of the most effective ways to catch gills, crappie, and perch.
I wouldn't say you won't catch fish with jig spin, but I'd be willing to wager a bet that you give me the exact set-up you have but we attach your jig to a top and spin every 15 minutes, you won't fare well in my guessamation. I'll go so far to say, jig spin is a top 5 key factor to presentation, especially for panfish!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I wouldn't say you won't catch fish with jig spin, but I'd be willing to wager a bet that you give me the exact set-up you have but we attach your jig to a top and spin every 15 minutes, you won't fare well in my guessamation. I'll go so far to say, jig spin is a top 5 key factor to presentation, especially for panfish!

Yeah, maybe fishing against you, but I catch just as many or more fish than Waxy and he uses the inlines all the time, and I never do.  ::)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:22 PM »
Yeah, maybe fishing against you, but I catch just as many or more fish than Waxy and he uses the inlines all the time, and I never do.  ::)

I don't use in-lines either, but I change my coats or singer every third trip, and don't use the handle to click the bail, which I'm sure you do, as well... So you may not have as much jig spin as folks that don't pay attention to those types of things, plus you probably jig more than the average angler as well, which dulls the spin as well. Plus, you catch as many or more than waxy, cuz he's to busy doing the moonwalk instead of reeling in the fish!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Spring you use one of the original inline reels already.... The Schoolies. Shallow water 10 foot and less there's not much difference imo between the two. I do however notice line coil differences. Arbor on the inlines like your schoolies is much larger than the spinning reel spool arbor. In deeper water though the inlines shine without a doubt for fishing small jigs. Shallow water you can run your hand down the line quick while chanel slumming especially with a long rod then just lower into the hole.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I don't use in-lines either, but I change my coats or singer every third trip, and don't use the handle to click the bail, which I'm sure you do, as well... So you may not have as much jig spin as folks that don't pay attention to those types of things, plus you probably jig more than the average angler as well, which dulls the spin as well. Plus, you catch as many or more than waxy, cuz he's to busy doing the moonwalk instead of reeling in the fish!!  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Yeah I always flip the bail by hand. That's one of my green carp fishing habits I guess  @). If I got to fish as much as I would like to I would probably get one for the middle of the ice season when the fish seem to get more picky and less aggressive. Unfortunately I only have the opportunity to fish in a window about 4 weeks long every winter while I'm not at school. As for waxy doing the moonwalk, I would wager that the only better dancer on this board would be slabgill! :afro:

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:49 PM »

I put inlines on my long poles last year so now I can either stand and reel them in or 'moonwalk' them back.  When fishing a double rig it is better to just reel them up so the top hook does not hang on the edge of the ice as I walk them back.  Sight fishing is night and day in relation to lure spin when using an inline vs spinning reel.  Even if you change line often, close the bail by hand, don't reel when drag is going out, etc., the mechanics of a spinning reel put twist in the line.  Spinning or an inline, as you reel the lure up without a fish, if the lure is spinning (most horizontal lures will spin) it will put some twist in your line.   You can catch plenty of fish on spinning reels as we have all done it for years, but I have seen enough fish sit and stare or swim away from a spinning lure, while sight fishing or on camera.  Those fish the sit and stare, often times will commit the moment the lure spin stops.  On a hot bite, it does not matter what the lure is doing, but in times of neutral or negative fish, I want my presentation to look a 'natural' as possible.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:06 PM »
are the teardrops supposed to be for lighter lines/jig ?
Bud

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #45 on: Nov 26, 2014, 11:22 PM »
are the teardrops supposed to be for lighter lines/jig ?

Per the 13 fishing website the black betty teardrops are designed for pike and walleye fishing in medium to deep water.  Based on that I don't think they are made for panfish jigs as much as they are for larger spoons, raps, buckshots, etc.  I don't own any so I am sure someone who has one will chime in with what they use the for.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2014, 04:57 AM »
I have my teardrops on two medium custom rods and use those combos on jumbo perch, walleye and other bigger fish types.  That's not to say they could not be used for panfish though.  I think they would handle all but the tiniest of jigs very well.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Man, you guys are all using the modern type of ice fishing reels and I'm trying my best to find an old antique/vintage type of reel.  It was more of a line keeper than a reel you could reel a fish up but I have a use for them.  These reels are oblong in design and mount to your rod.  I have one and looking for a second one.  My dad hated them because when you pulled your line off they left the line in a zig zag.  That zig zag is what I'm looking for.  I use it as a strike indicator.  I have a 28 inch fiberglass noodle rod I built myself and caught a lot of fish on it.  After today, I'll try to post pics.  And I'll post a new topic. 

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #48 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:58 AM »
Yeah I always flip the bail by hand. That's one of my green carp fishing habits I guess  @). If I got to fish as much as I would like to I would probably get one for the middle of the ice season when the fish seem to get more picky and less aggressive. Unfortunately I only have the opportunity to fish in a window about 4 weeks long every winter while I'm not at school. As for waxy doing the moonwalk, I would wager that the only better dancer on this board would be slabgill! :afro:
Atleast P.U. taught you one thing...lol. :tipup: :afro: :afro:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #49 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Man, you guys are all using the modern type of ice fishing reels and I'm trying my best to find an old antique/vintage type of reel.  It was more of a line keeper than a reel you could reel a fish up but I have a use for them.  These reels are oblong in design and mount to your rod.  I have one and looking for a second one.  My dad hated them because when you pulled your line off they left the line in a zig zag.  That zig zag is what I'm looking for.  I use it as a strike indicator.  I have a 28 inch fiberglass noodle rod I built myself and caught a lot of fish on it.  After today, I'll try to post pics.  And I'll post a new topic.

can you post a pic of one? sounds like a peg type that rotates? i know guys that love the z your talking about. its like a built in spring bobber they still fish the old 2 peg wrap rods.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:19 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a couple for deep water perch fishing.  I have a couple inline fly reel types right now with no independent drag and no gear ratio, also no free spool.  Getting down in water 10 feet or deeper is a pain, and if you get accidental catch (Large mouth or trout or something) that connected drag breaks you off if you don't get your hand off the reel. I think I have the 101 and the XT100 cabelas.  They really are only improved plastic spools and not much more than that, good for shallow water gills maybe and that's about it.

I love my small spinning outfits, I just can't stand the line coils in cold weather it's hard to tell where I set my dead sticks and when I hit bottom with small jigs.  Anyone have a suggestion on a inline with; adjustable and independent drag, free spool and would work with something small like a mud bug or slender spoon?

Just realized this is an Indiana thread, but I did a search and wound up here, plus I figure you guys know your stuff.

Offline SexiVexi28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:21 AM »
I just got the No.8 Tackle Co. CGI reel and put it on a Custom light action rod.
Love the drag and it has a reel guard that most other in lines don't.
Amazon.com $32 shipped. I would recommend it.
Lets Go Fishing! ><((((º>

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #52 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:21 AM »
I will just say that Waxy and High Tide both have excellent and valid points, so now I will add mine as well.  I own one of the clam and an a friend is sponsered by Frabill so I have a half dozen of their versions for next to nothing, but my pro for the inline is getting that jig back down for those schooling fish where time is of the essence or most obvious is a normal looking presentation I have found the twist vs. inline is hands down.  Line twist will slow your decent for deeper water light jigs and by that I mean anything deeper than 7ft.  less   than that I have half dozen schools rigged for quick changes and line twist is crucial for finicky fish that have seen it all.  But then again that is tournament fishing for ya.  Schoolies have been around a long time the only reason spinning came into play was for quicker retrieve in deeper conditions and now the technically advanced inlines are the trend.
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip Vexi, I'll take a look at those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.