The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT-1 less Coyote  (Read 2360 times)

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
OT-1 less Coyote
« on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:52 AM »
Off topic but I figured some of you would enjoy the pic
My son shot this coyote,  deer hunting the other day , second dog he has taken from that piece of woods

Offline limitingout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: OT-1 less Coyote
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:39 AM »
sweet

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:41 AM »
  A-OK  :clap:  :thumbsup:  :bow:

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:58 AM »
A BIG THUMBS UP FROM DOWNEAST!!!!!

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2014, 05:31 AM »
Next best thing to getting a deer!!

Someone on here called them 4 legged pike a few years ago, maybe it's not off topic.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Nice work!
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:25 AM »
1 less coyote never hurt my feelings!
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Tell him thanks. ;D

Offline tipupME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:46 AM »
One less coy gives the deer that much more of a chance, good job!

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:52 AM »
Everyone is shooting coyotes during deer season it seems this year.  My dad got a 44 lb male just the other day.   I have seen a lot of deer and punched my tag but haven't seen a yote yet.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Every dead coyote means more deer survive to eat my gardens. Shoot the deer and let the coyotes live. They are too valuable and deer are destructive. Any animal that kills deer is better alive than dead.

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2014, 04:17 PM »
^^^^^^^^

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Every dead coyote means more deer survive to eat my gardens. Shoot the deer and let the coyotes live. They are too valuable and deer are destructive. Any animal that kills deer is better alive than dead.

Where do you live in the western MNTS ?, I would be more than happy to come up a shoot your garden munchers  :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2014, 06:21 PM »
             I might be in the minority, but never heard that coyote's are too valuable!!!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:38 PM »
In the last few years deer have done over $2,000 to my gardens and fruit trees. Coyotes haven't cost me anything. That's why I like coyotes better than deer.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:21 AM »
In the last few years deer have done over $2,000 to my gardens and fruit trees. Coyotes haven't cost me anything. That's why I like coyotes better than deer.
                        I'd allow someone to take a few deer off your land!

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2014, 05:53 AM »

Now I understand your dislike for deer  :%$#!:

Sounds like you have a sportsmanship honey hole for deer hunting ! Many folks like myself search for years too find private land with owners who encourage sportsman to harvest deer from their land  ;)

If you already allow hunting and that's  not solving your deer problem. I would suggest calling a Warden and getting crop damage permits . I used to go with a friend that harvested deer at night in Cape Elizabeth on the Jordan Farm property with special permits the wardens gave the farm too reduce the deer population !

Hope this info helps

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2014, 06:58 AM »
And I thought they were going to put deer were on the endangered species list in the western mountains. I hunted the Jackman area for quite a few yrs.

[I used to see deer lying up in the ridges. That whole Moose River Valley 25 years ago was unbelievable. But there aren't any deer there anymore.]
A quote from Hal Blood in the July 2014 issue of the Maine sportsman!
If you want to get rid of some of those pests, I could be packed, and on my way tomorrow.  ;)

I shot a coyote in my back yard, after it killed a fawn in the neighbors yard. I think it also killed my outside cats. I'm in agreement with most others, the only good coyote is a dead coyote!

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Coyotes haven't cost me anything. That's why I like coyotes better than deer.

That's because you're growing a plot of deer food, not coyote food!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:18 PM »
That's because you're growing a plot of deer food, not coyote food!
I raise a lot of food that coyotes would eat but they haven't killed any of my animals. I have lost livestock to domestic dogs, foxes and a bobcat, but not coyotes.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:35 PM »
I raise a lot of food that coyotes would eat but they haven't killed any of my animals. I have lost livestock to domestic dogs, foxes and a bobcat, but not coyotes.

dont worry, you will have coyotes soon enough. im 20 minutes from boston and have had them bounce off the front door after getting the dog inside. my area had lots of rabbits and turkeys a few years ago, now coyotes

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:41 PM »
9huskies,have you not heard of game fencing. Does wonders on keeping the deer out of your farm.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2014, 03:50 PM »
  Saw on the news today that a woman and her dog were bitten today in Greenland NH by a coyote.

John

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Looks like a BIG ONE! Almost big as your foot.....sure to be a deer tackler.

I don’t shoot em unless they are in the sheep/goat pasture. Only had to shoot one in 5 years. She was hunting mice every time we saw here, but couldn’t keep her in the sheep zone with lambs coming. I doubt she weighed 20#s.

One thing everyone seems to forget is the fact that a stressed coyote population somehow biologically causes larger litters.

In my hunting area, and around my house, feed is the biggest and likely only component in deer pop. level. (DO NOT forget about wintering area! Loss of those have killed way more deer than coyote, though coyote, fox, eagles and other critters probably finish some and cleaned up remains so leaving them to blame. Even where big logging operations left so called deer yards, they left them as islands far separated form eahother with NO FEED in between. I know, it’s business, so blame the coyotes.)  Three years, nearly no acorns or beech nuts where i hunt. Steady decline in deer pop. No coyote tracks over that time. We had a bunch of hare around my house a couple years ago, never many deer - ever. When the snowshoes declined, so did the coyote. NO change in the deer herd. Still about 10 in the area. I don’t hunt deer in 120 acre lot.

I’ll keep letting coyotes walk. They need to eat too.

Sometimes (well, always ;D) it looks like killing coyotes is just some power trip without real management effect just some sort of blood lust satisfaction.

I know, JMO and I’m stuck with it ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:46 PM »
When I see them in that position I like it!!! Congratulations Good shot!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Nov 19, 2014, 03:47 PM »
9huskies,have you not heard of game fencing. Does wonders on keeping the deer out of your farm.

Not to stir the pot any MORE....Just noticed this post.

We have 4 ft fence around like 25 acres about half has a hot strand at about 5 ‘. (8’ fence is big money.) The deer come in and out regularly, though I haven’t seen any since gun season started. The coyote that was in there hunting mice did as well. There were 20 or so sheep and goats in a nearby area. The coyote showed no interest. I think she might have been some kind of outcast.

We did find a stripped deer carcass a couple years ago and later found out a poacher wounded a small doe near our house about the same time.

It seems to me in my hunting area, where there is no feed this year and was very little last year added to last years winter has taken the biggest toll there on there deer population. I haven’t seen a coyotes track there in two years. Have seen cat and fox tracks.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Before the coyoties arrived there were plenty of grouse and rabbits here in Cumberland county now they are very scarce. Coyoties
are pretty big and have to eat alot and as far as I know they aren't vegetarians and they aren't eating mice.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:40 PM »
To help bring rabbits back landowners need to build more brush piles . This would help bring back rabbits.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:46 PM »

One thing everyone seems to forget is the fact that a stressed coyote population somehow biologically causes larger litters.

I will shoot every coyote I get a chance to.  Coyotes populations/litter size is connected to food availability not how many are taken out of the population.  Sure if I take a coyote out that means more food for the others but that also means one less deer killer out there that winter.  We will never get rid of them buy hunting but we can at least try to keep them in check.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Little coyotes kill little deer!  :o  This one was going back to the kill in my neighbors yard. I didn't know about the fawn until after I shot it. We then dragged the fawn up to where I shot the coyote in my back yard! Four of my outside cats also disappeared, any bets, they love cats!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.