The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: OT-1 less Coyote  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: OT-1 less Coyote
« Reply #30 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:29 PM »
They are very prolific fawn killers, they say as much as 50% of newborn fawns are killed in certain areas.  Good thing they have no scent for 7-10 days or it would be much higher!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #31 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:43 PM »
An interesting study:
"Compensatory natality and mortality. A key assumption in the C-L model, and in all other coyote population models known to me, is the principle of compensatory natality and mortality. That is, removal of coyotes enhances conditions for the animals that survive exploitation so that birth rates are higher and natural mortality lower than in the unexploited population. These phenomena were simulated in the C-L model by density dependent functions; i.e., equations that caused average litter size, proportions of female coyotes producing young, and proportions of animals dying of natural causes to vary with relative coyote density (Figs. 2-4 in Connolly and Longhurst 1975).”

http://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/coyotes/table-of-contents/the-effects-of-control-on-coyote-populations/

"Simulation efforts since 1975 have tended to confirm the C-L model in showing that coyote populations can support high rates of exploitation. Sterling et al. (1983) found in their simulations that control programs inflicting less than 50% annual mortality could not be expected to produce declining populations using any combination of litter size and percent breeding. Windberg and Knowlton (1988) showed that the number of coyotes actually using small geographic areas, and therefore the number that would have to be removed to gain population control, is much greater than one might infer from density estimates. Therefore, it appears that the main conclusions stated by Connolly and Longhurst (1975) remain valid today. There have been major changes on the computing front, however. The programmable calculator used for the C-L model was scrapped long ago, and the utility of this model would be very much enhanced by revamping it to run on modern computers. Improved realism would result from incorporating the changes detailed earlier in this paper, but I expect that the updated model would generate results similar to those produced by the C-L model."
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:38 AM »

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Looks like a BIG ONE! Almost big as your foot.....sure to be a deer tackler.

I don’t shoot em unless they are in the sheep/goat pasture. Only had to shoot one in 5 years. She was hunting mice every time we saw here, but couldn’t keep her in the sheep zone with lambs coming. I doubt she weighed 20#s.

One thing everyone seems to forget is the fact that a stressed coyote population somehow biologically causes larger litters.

In my hunting area, and around my house, feed is the biggest and likely only component in deer pop. level. (DO NOT forget about wintering area! Loss of those have killed way more deer than coyote, though coyote, fox, eagles and other critters probably finish some and cleaned up remains so leaving them to blame. Even where big logging operations left so called deer yards, they left them as islands far separated form eahother with NO FEED in between. I know, it’s business, so blame the coyotes.)  Three years, nearly no acorns or beech nuts where i hunt. Steady decline in deer pop. No coyote tracks over that time. We had a bunch of hare around my house a couple years ago, never many deer - ever. When the snowshoes declined, so did the coyote. NO change in the deer herd. Still about 10 in the area. I don’t hunt deer in 120 acre lot.

I’ll keep letting coyotes walk. They need to eat too.

Sometimes (well, always ;D) it looks like killing coyotes is just some power trip without real management effect just some sort of blood lust satisfaction.

I know, JMO and I’m stuck with it ;D
[/quote

Hey Joe, In case you didn't get the memo. Nobody is going with the Leftist Envirowacko dribble anymore. Get off the Jim Jones cool aid and join the rest of us Americans or are you too far gone. My sister is way out in LEFT field. No hope for some...really sad.  ;D
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.