The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bomo Smelt are addictiive!!! LOL Here is Another video from Last night 2/26/14  (Read 7204 times)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
Hey Guys
I went out Smelt fishing again Last Night and i hooked up With my Buddy Matt, The Action was hot heavy from 5:30 to 7:30 PM then the bite slowly tapered off. I ended up with almost a couple dozen but i know my Buddy Matt had allot more because i was doing some filming and walked around , plus he stayed a little longer then i did. The ice conditions are good but a little rough walking and slippery so bring Ice Cleats.

Enjoy the video

I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like lots of fun!  Great video.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Would love a couple dozen of them to put under a  :tipup:

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
i hope peple dont complaneing when the smelt are gone from bomo again

hey l@@k!  this fish we all love that's bean gone for years from bomo is starting to come back,,,.... lets go pound on them real hard and take buckets of them.,,, its fine!
yeah,that's what they said about the American Bison.   I had really mixed feelings about this but decided that if the F&W dept. didn't see a need to regulate the amount of smelt taken from the lake,then who was I to argue?I hope they are right.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
i hope peple dont complaneing when the smelt are gone from bomo again

hey l@@k!  this fish we all love that's bean gone for years from bomo is starting to come back,,,.... lets go pound on them real hard and take buckets of them.,,, its fine!
I was one of the first to stop in at F&G and talk to them about the smelt coming back at Bomo and asked about this and their answer was [ that's why we put them in there , for people to catch ] . Your not going to catch them all so have fun.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
Nice video Bigwiggle!

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice video Bigwiggle!

Thanks Ice Hook

and for all those who wondering. I only take what i want to eat. The most i have taken in one night is like 58 . If there is People saying that they are getting 5 gallon pails of Smelt, i think they are tell some major fish stories. :cookoo: Plus personally i would not feel like cleaning over a 100 smelt after i got home from fishing.
So when it comes to smelt on Bomo , i believe you should only take what you feel like cleaning and eating, and considering the size of these smelt you should not have take many to make a meal. I had 8-9 Smelt the other night for Dinner and i was stuffed.  ;D
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Ice Hook

and for all those who wondering. I only take what i want to eat. The most i have taken in one night is like 58 . If there is People saying that they are getting 5 gallon pails of Smelt, i think they are tell some major fish stories. :cookoo: Plus personally i would not feel like cleaning over a 100 smelt after i got home from fishing.
So when it comes to smelt on Bomo , i believe you should only take what you feel like cleaning and eating, and considering the size of these smelt you should not have take many to make a meal. I had 8-9 Smelt the other night for Dinner and i was stuffed.  ;D

I can say I have witnessed 2 gentleman coming off with 2 full 5 gallon pails and another one about half way full then I gave them a bunch of crap for it. I also know someone who goes over there and fishes from about 5am-9am 3 times a week and the smallest amount he's taken off is 89. The problem isn't the people taking off 30 or so at a time. The problem is people taking them off pail full at a time.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Guys
I went out Smelt fishing again Last Night and i hooked up With my Buddy Matt, The Action was hot heavy from 5:30 to 7:30 PM then the bite slowly tapered off. I ended up with almost a couple dozen but i know my Buddy Matt had allot more because i was doing some filming and walked around , plus he stayed a little longer then i did. The ice conditions are good but a little rough walking and slippery so bring Ice Cleats.

Enjoy the video

Awesome video!!! I know Matt& he is an awesome fisherman. Did you catch these by the #88? Oh put the word out its for sale, to finance the new #88.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can say I have witnessed 2 gentleman coming off with 2 full 5 gallon pails and another one about half way full then I gave them a bunch of **** for it. I also know someone who goes over there and fishes from about 5am-9am 3 times a week and the smallest amount he's taken off is 89. The problem isn't the people taking off 30 or so at a time. The problem is people taking them off pail full at a time.

If I am doing something legal and you gave me crap you would probably have some beat out of you ! ;D

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agreed. That's a great way to pick a fight. Mind your own business.

It's everyone's "business" when you use a public place and take a natural resource.. I've lived right around Bomo my whole life so when you're doing something that has the potential to hurt the awesome fishery their, it is my and everyone else's "Business".. I'm not oppose to taking Smelt out of Bomo completely, but it's still a work in progress on Bomo and people doing that isn't helping the cause for the future. If you're going to act like that and keep that many don't cry to the state in a few years because there aren't any left. The F&W has done a great job reintroducing them to the lake and it's our job to maintain it. They came up to me bragging about and both were considerably bigger than me. That doesn't mean I'm just going to lay down and agree with them when what they were doing was wrong and most of the people that fish there wouldn't take them out 2 and half pails full at a time. I don't stand there yelling at everyone that comes off with 25-40 smelt, but if you come up to me, or most people that have grown up on that lake and fished it their whole lives with 2 and half pails of Smelt after we finally got them back bragging about what you just did you're going to get criticism. 

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can say I have witnessed 2 gentleman coming off with 2 full 5 gallon pails and another one about half way full then I gave them a bunch of **** for it. I also know someone who goes over there and fishes from about 5am-9am 3 times a week and the smallest amount he's taken off is 89. The problem isn't the people taking off 30 or so at a time. The problem is people taking them off pail full at a time.

First of all , i would like to say that to Will That i am not calling you a Lier but 2 5 Gallon pals of smelt  :o Either these guys that caught these smelt were fishing for at least 8 hours or more and catching them as fast as they could put the bait back down the hole or they were using dynamite.  :-\ :woot: I am not saying this could not be done, but to catch that many smelt in one day you would have to be the best smelt fisherman in the world. Now i have been smelt fishing for a long time on lakes like Magog,Big Salem, willougby, and even dunmore. and i had some real awesome day where i caught boat load of smelt but i Don't believe i ever even got close to filling a 5 gallon pail of smelt. The best smelt day i ever had was on Magog in The NEK when i caught 360 in 4 hours of fishing and i just barely filled a QUART SIZE Pail. Plus it took me like 2 hours to clean them all :%$#!:
Anyways i am not here to start any wars and i truly believe people should only take what they plan on eating for themselves or there family.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
First of all , i would like to say that to Will That i am not calling you a Lier but 2 5 Gallon pals of smelt  :o Either these guys that caught these smelt were fishing for at least 8 hours or more and catching them as fast as they could put the bait back down the hole or they were using dynamite.  :-\ :woot: I am not saying this could not be done, but to catch that many smelt in one day you would have to be the best smelt fisherman in the world. Now i have been smelt fishing for a long time on lakes like Magog,Big Salem, willougby, and even dunmore. and i had some real awesome day where i caught boat load of smelt but i Don't believe i ever even got close to filling a 5 gallon pail of smelt. The best smelt day i ever had was on Magog in The NEK when i caught 360 in 4 hours of fishing and i just barely filled a QUART SIZE Pail. Plus it took me like 2 hours to clean them all :%$#!:
Anyways i am not here to start any wars and i truly believe people should only take what they plan on eating for themselves or there family.

Hey I couldn't believe it myself! I used to go up to Champlain by the bridge after them and I've never seen anything like it. I have no idea how long they were out there. They were coming off the ice just barely after dark 2 weeks ago or. Also there were 2 guys so that might result in more fish??  ??? ???   I know what I saw and what they told me and trust me I was shocked too! It's damn hard to do that with Perch out on Champlain nevertheless smelt! Maybe they were using Dynamite?  ;)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome video!!! I know Matt& he is an awesome fisherman. Did you catch these by the #88? Oh put the word out its for sale, to finance the new #88.

No .. we were out by the Green Dump . Matt is great Kid and Good Fisherman.. 

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
and that's why I don't brag about fish or show people what I catch. Haters gunna hate and the people who grew up fishing the lake think they own it and have rights others don't. Call fish and game and cry about the lack of limits. Too bad you can't sell smelt like sunfish.

Agree 100%!!  If you don't like it when somebody is catching too many fish, but they aren't breaking any laws......you should take your battle to F & W.

I've found from personal experience that F & W will listen to you and may even institute "Test Water" designation to that body of water.

But if they aren't breaking any laws, wether you agree or not......it's not your business.  Some people are going to take and take and continue taking.  Take it up with the biologist.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here we go again!!!!

It all boils down to some people doing a little bit better job at catching fish and pizzing the less fortunate guys off.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here we go again!!!!

It all boils down to some people doing a little bit better job at catching fish and pizzing the less fortunate guys off.

Not at all actually.. I've got out after them twice, one time took home 20 the other time 18. Both times I caught over 50.. It has nothing to do with being able to catch them. It has to do with people being smart enough to know what they're doing.

Offline deepwaterdan

• IceShanty Rookie
That is the attitude Scambler1 that people are pissed about. " going to have to get 10-15 buddies and fill some buckets" with people like you the smelt will be long gone in just a couple years. what the heck would you do with a bucket full? I am 6 foot 220lbs and 10-15 smelt with some fries is a meal. Are you sure you are a true Vermonter and not a transplant.

Offline deepwaterdan

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry Scrambler1 if you were kidding. this just boiles my blood that people want to eliminate a great resource that is starting to come back. Imagine the size of the browns and northerns will be in a few years. Now that is what i am talking about. :) Maybe even a few records will come out of Bomo.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That is the attitude Scambler1 that people are pissed about. " going to have to get 10-15 buddies and fill some buckets" with people like you the smelt will be long gone in just a couple years. what the heck would you do with a bucket full? I am 6 foot 220lbs and 10-15 smelt with some fries is a meal. Are you sure you are a true Vermonter and not a transplant.

My relatives have been in VT since the revolutionary war and I eat 40-50 smelt in a sitting ! No I am not fat either !  :)

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
This topic has kinda taken a turn hasn't it? maybe everyone should just relax a little bit. 

Now excuse me I have to go "dethaw" some perch in the microwave ;)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This topic has kinda taken a turn hasn't it? maybe everyone should just relax a little bit. 

Now excuse me I have to go "dethaw" some perch in the microwave ;)

Tell me about it.. i did not want to start any wars on here because that is not what i am about. If people are worried about the smelt population on Bomo then do what i suggest and take what you are going to eat or your family might eat. Like i said the most i took in one night is 58 and i only been out 4 times to fish for them.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm 5'7" 180 and I'll crush a bucket of smelt, jumbo perch and a case of switchback....for breakfast.  :P

I'm 5'7 160 (minus the beard) and a few weeks ago I downed 50 freshly caught smelt from Joes Pond with some spicy cocktail sauce, a handful of flatfish fillets wrapped in bacon, a basket of hand cut fries, and a few frosty beverages. Boom. The best thing about smelt is that you can take them off your tip ups and eat them at the end of the day. I dare someone to try that with a shiner. ;)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
As an outsider (from NY) that has never fished this lake, or anywhere in VT, here are my observations on this thread.  I'm not sure how big this lake is, but posting results on the internet either on you tube or on forums like this can kill a resource.  I've seen it happen in NY on several different water bodies.  Sharing information on big water bodies like Champlain is much different than on smaller ones.  I'll predict that you will see a dramatic increase in pressure on this lake as a result of the recent you tube videos and this thread.  Everywhere there are fishermen/women there will be those that will take as many as the law allows, and even more sometimes.  I agree with the person that indicated that concerns should be taken to the Fish & Wildlife department.  That's not to say that its wrong to voice concern to those you see taking as many as they can, you just need to recognize that its their right.  Hopefully if enough people say something, they will begin to change the way they think.  Ice shanty is a great forum for sharing information but my personal opinion is that if specific water bodies are mentioned, it ought to be through PMs.   Smelt in NY have been dwindling in numbers on a number of lakes (Lake George, Champlain) and our DEC has created specific regulations for some of those resources in an attempt to counter the decline.  For the most part, they have the support of the fishermen/women.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As an outsider (from NY) that has never fished this lake, or anywhere in VT, here are my observations on this thread.  I'm not sure how big this lake is, but posting results on the internet either on you tube or on forums like this can kill a resource.  I've seen it happen in NY on several different water bodies.  Sharing information on big water bodies like Champlain is much different than on smaller ones.  I'll predict that you will see a dramatic increase in pressure on this lake as a result of the recent you tube videos and this thread.  Everywhere there are fishermen/women there will be those that will take as many as the law allows, and even more sometimes.  I agree with the person that indicated that concerns should be taken to the Fish & Wildlife department.  That's not to say that its wrong to voice concern to those you see taking as many as they can, you just need to recognize that its their right.  Hopefully if enough people say something, they will begin to change the way they think.  Ice shanty is a great forum for sharing information but my personal opinion is that if specific water bodies are mentioned, it ought to be through PMs.   Smelt in NY have been dwindling in numbers on a number of lakes (Lake George, Champlain) and our DEC has created specific regulations for some of those resources in an attempt to counter the decline.  For the most part, they have the support of the fishermen/women.

First of All, I am Not out to "Kill A resource" I am taken advantage of the great opportunity that was given to me to fish for a Species of fish i love to fish for and Eat!! What other Fisherman do and how they fish is beyond my control. I know when i am fishing that i am very Conservative and only take what I or my family will eat. If you think i am Promoting my local body of Water " Bomoseen" then Great.. If i can i turn people on to the opportunity to enjoy a day of fishing then so be it. I was a Charter captain for many years and nothing gave me more pleasure then seeing happy clients catch fish.
I also can not control the laws of Nature, of coarse i would like to see the Smelt Population be healthy and i am going to take part in what i ever i need to do, to make sure I can enjoy this great opportunity for years to come.
By the Way Bomoseen is the Biggest lake, Entirely with in Vermont borders, and i believe these smelt of have plenty of opportunities to reproduce and hide from predator fish.

I have been on the lake a few time since i made my videos and i take great pride when i see other fisherman come up to me and say "i drove 2 hours to advantage the smelt fishery in Bomoseen". and they feel great that they caught smelt that they normally would of not caught, because where they live. Once again if want to hate me for turning Fisherman onto a "Hot Bite" , then so be it.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Your vids are awesome BigWiggle. Haters gonna hate. Maybe a night this week I can sneak down with my hydro glow and we can lights things up.

That would be Awesome!!!  :thumbsup: i have been doing some research on the Hydro Glows and I have a couple of Questions for ya.. I have friends who use them at night for Crappies and they do real good with on Champlain. Have you tried them for Smelt? Now the smelt at Bomo are Pretty deep when i fish for them i usually fish around 45-50 FOW for them , I have been told that all i need to do is put the light barely in the water and the Smelt would come in but my concern is if i am fishing that deep wouldn't i have to put the light down Deeper so the smelt can at least see whats going on? i know some come with 25 foot cords , how long is you cord on yours? i am seriously thinking about getting one soon but i would love to know if they work for Smelt or should i stick to my spot light in the Water. Thanks in Advance for your Opinion.

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Im going to fish for the Smelt this week when i get out of work with a coworker, My mother has been asking for smelt for a long time.... Bomo is close to me and im glad the Smelt are back... i will by no means be taking a " Bucket" of fish home but im gonna take enough for dear ol mom and my family of 4! Cant wait to have a meal of fresh smelt!!!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
Bigwiggle,I hate you.....when are we going to Bomo for smelt?   I also have a new light I wanna try that can go as deep as you want it to.   tracker one

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Now the smelt at Bomo are Pretty deep when i fish for them i usually fish around 45-50 FOW for them , I have been told that all i need to do is put the light barely in the water and the Smelt would come in but my concern is if i am fishing that deep wouldn't i have to put the light down Deeper so the smelt can at least see whats going on?

I don't fish Bomo and I don't have a Hydroglow.  However, I've done a fair amount of smelt fishing this year with a cheap, halogen u/w light.  Most of my fishing is in 40 - 50' and I've found that just putting the light 1 to 2' below the ice is perfect.  You'll attract smelt from all over the water column.  On certain lakes you'll get clouds of daphnia around the light too.

I will say that I like to jig on the periphery of the light cone.  It seems that the smelt are hesitant to bite if they are too close to the light. So, I drill a hole in one corner of my pop-up for the light and fish in the opposite corner (diagonally across).

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Im going to hit walmart tonight to see if i can find some kind of light that isnt to expensive use to light the hole up!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.