The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bomo Smelt are addictiive!!! LOL Here is Another video from Last night 2/26/14  (Read 7203 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I assume when you say "Bomo" you mean Bomoseen Lake?

So your DNR reintroduced them? Has it improved the trout fishing? Do you get trophy browns from this lake?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I assume when you say "Bomo" you mean Bomoseen Lake?

So your DNR reintroduced them? Has it improved the trout fishing? Do you get trophy browns from this lake?

Yes, Our Department of Natural Resources is the VT Fish and Wildlife here though. It's impossible to know yet because they were re-introduced to the lake 3 years ago. If the population has a chance to grow we should see some monster browns and pike soon. Bomo already is a good fishery for both Browns and Pike but in the future as long as we can keep the smelt we should see some monsters on a more frequent basis.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, Our Department of Natural Resources is the VT Fish and Wildlife here though. It's impossible to know yet because they were re-introduced to the lake 3 years ago. If the population has a chance to grow we should see some monster browns and pike soon. Bomo already is a good fishery for both Browns and Pike but in the future as long as we can keep the smelt we should see some monsters on a more frequent basis.

Thanks for the response. Only been there once and did not fish although originally I was going to. I was so disappointed with all the unsupervised kids running around at 11 oclock at night and the trash in the water at the boat launch at the campground we stayed at, we left the very next morning. Otherwise it looked like a nice lake.

Just was sorely dissappointed in the campground not anything or anyone else.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
did you stay at the state park or one of the private ones?

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
I don't fish Bomo and I don't have a Hydroglow.  However, I've done a fair amount of smelt fishing this year with a cheap, halogen u/w light.  Most of my fishing is in 40 - 50' and I've found that just putting the light 1 to 2' below the ice is perfect.  You'll attract smelt from all over the water column.  On certain lakes you'll get clouds of daphnia around the light too.

I will say that I like to jig on the periphery of the light cone.  It seems that the smelt are hesitant to bite if they are too close to the light. So, I drill a hole in one corner of my pop-up for the light and fish in the opposite corner (diagonally across).
Sounds like a good approach. Have never done any night time fishing before but got to give it a try. Where can you buy under water halogen light?? Does it have a self contained battery?
Thanks for sharing.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
Bigwiggle,I hate you.....when are we going to Bomo for smelt?   I also have a new light I wanna try that can go as deep as you want it to.   tracker one
What are you doing Wednesday Night?? I am meeting two other guys over there on Wednesday to try our luck..Do you want to go?? i seem to have way better luck at Night then i do during the day for Smelt. let me know..
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't fish Bomo and I don't have a Hydroglow.  However, I've done a fair amount of smelt fishing this year with a cheap, halogen u/w light.  Most of my fishing is in 40 - 50' and I've found that just putting the light 1 to 2' below the ice is perfect.  You'll attract smelt from all over the water column.  On certain lakes you'll get clouds of daphnia around the light too.

I will say that I like to jig on the periphery of the light cone.  It seems that the smelt are hesitant to bite if they are too close to the light. So, I drill a hole in one corner of my pop-up for the light and fish in the opposite corner (diagonally across).

Thats pretty much what i do now with my spotlight. i was just curious if anyone had success for smelt using the hydo glow because i have heard allot of good things about them.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Im going to hit walmart tonight to see if i can find some kind of light that isnt to expensive use to light the hole up!

Walmart should have something but if they don't , you can always make your own , if you have an old spot light hanging around and some hard foam packing and duck tape. Just cut a hole out of the foam that is smaller then the diameter of the spot light and then duck tape it to the foam. make sure the foam will be bigger then you auger hole so you can sit on the ice. i will try to take a pictures of the spotlights i have and show you.
Also those cheap underwater lights that you see at Walmart should work Well for you too. Good Luck

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
wednesday sounds good,lets play phone tag

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
did you stay at the state park or one of the private ones?

Private one.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sounds like a good approach. Have never done any night time fishing before but got to give it a try. Where can you buy under water halogen light?? Does it have a self contained battery?
Thanks for sharing.

This is the light I have: http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-800-1515-0-Starfire-Underwater-Fishing/dp/B0000AYD7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393847959&sr=8-1&keywords=brinkman+underwater+light

I've had it since '98, but it's seen limited use.  You do need to be careful with the glass case (I slip it in an ice rod sock for storage/transport -- pipe insulation would work too).

The pros:  It's 1/5 the price of a hydroglow. It's bright.  It's reliable.

The cons: It draws amperage like a b****h! 

I now use a group 24 deep cycle to power it.  I walk everywhere, so once I added a deep cycle battery to the mix (on top of my 35# pop-up), I had to build a Smitty sled to haul my gear.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
Private one.
  Nest time try the Bomoseen State Park on the west side of the lake. They have very nice facilities and a nice sandy beach. I beleive they have a place for a boat but I am not sure. The Kehoe launch is not far away.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Just left Bomo, Thanks Wiggle for the tips on the "Hot Bite"   ;)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just left Bomo, Thanks Wiggle for the tips on the "Hot Bite"   ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Those dont look like Bomo Smelt.

Thats enough smelt to feed you for awhile..LOL

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Glad you took that the right way!  ;D ;D

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is the light I have: http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-800-1515-0-Starfire-Underwater-Fishing/dp/B0000AYD7O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393847959&sr=8-1&keywords=brinkman+underwater+light

I've had it since '98, but it's seen limited use.  You do need to be careful with the glass case (I slip it in an ice rod sock for storage/transport -- pipe insulation would work too).

I now use a group 24 deep cycle to power it.  I walk everywhere, so once I added a deep cycle battery to the mix (on top of my 35# pop-up), I had to build a Smitty sled to haul my gear.
Thanks for the link, was hoping to get away without hauling a deep cycle battery around. Any other suggestions out there?

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict

After reading the reviews for this Brinkman under water light I decided to go ahead and order it. It was selling for $20.00 on Amazon. I found it for $15.00 on Academy Sports web store. Thanks for your help BlackDucksAndBrownDogs!!!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  Nest time try the Bomoseen State Park on the west side of the lake. They have very nice facilities and a nice sandy beach. I beleive they have a place for a boat but I am not sure. The Kehoe launch is not far away.

Just might do that next time I'm in New England.  I heard there are some nice gills in there too although I'm not one that goes crazy and keeps very many like some of the hoosiers that go there. 

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just might do that next time I'm in New England.  I heard there are some nice gills in there too although I'm not one that goes crazy and keeps very many like some of the hoosiers that go there.

i can testify that are some GIANT  :blue gills in Bomo. Because i have seen plenty 10 -11 inchers during the summer months when I  snorkle the rocky shoreline. But they Elude me during the winter months when i try to ice fish for them  :%$#!:

Offline DunmoreFAn

• Team IceShanty Regular
I found a light on Amazon that has a housing and all that jazz that sits right on top of the ice... should be here today or tomorrow.... I'll be out Thursday night with a coworker..... The light is already set up to clip right to a 12V car battery.... NICE!!
Fishin Ain't easy but it's better than work

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I found a light on Amazon that has a housing and all that jazz that sits right on top of the ice... should be here today or tomorrow.... I'll be out Thursday night with a coworker..... The light is already set up to clip right to a 12V car battery.... NICE!!
I will be out there Wednesday Night with friends and i will let you know how i do .  Good luck and have fun

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.