New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Erie Mud Puppy and Ling Thread  (Read 7694 times)

FrankM

Lake Erie Mud Puppy and Ling Thread
« on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:25 PM »

The mud puppy can show you which way to go.
I used to know these things.
Now old age is creeping up on me
And the white man.
Is sneaking up on me.
Again

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Erie Mud Puppy Thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Caught a 12 incher in the sbh about 10 years ago and a 14 incher in Erie basin 5 years ago.  Crazy looking creatures with a bad attitude

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2014, 02:59 PM »
They like to wrap around your hand like a snake.  And you are right, they don't seem to be very happy at all.

Offline tve

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have jigs will travel
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:01 PM »
They are a protected species in new york like all reptiles and amphibians.

FrankM

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I always put them back in the water even though they are ugly nasty devils. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of them in Lake Erie.  What I would really like to catch is the elusive ling.  I want to try and make some poor man's lobster.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:34 PM »
only ever got 2 out there one at st point ice fishing and 1 at Barcelona trolling a renosky and it slamed it

FrankM

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:40 PM »
only ever got 2 out there one at st point ice fishing and 1 at Barcelona trolling a renosky and it slamed it
Ling are fairly common in Oneida but I have heard of them being caught ice fishing at Sturgeon. It makes sense that you would get them off Barcelona as they tend to hang out in the coldest water.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2014, 03:47 PM »
They are a protected species in new york like all reptiles and amphibians.

darn seagulls  pay no attention to the law

are  garder snakes and snapping turtles  protected????

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Erie Mud Puppy and Ling Thread
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2014, 04:00 PM »
they are different than the ones in onieda a lot yellower in color and way bigger 1 was 10 lbs the other 13 got pics of both but I don't have the tech to show you but the pics are on my wall!

Offline Jigolo J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:14 PM »
darn seagulls  pay no attention to the law

are  garder snakes and snapping turtles  protected????
All snakes are protected in New York. With no open season.
Snapping turtles have a open Hunting season. Key word hunting. You must have a small game hunting license and the only legal implement is a firearm or bow. The season is from July 15th-September 30th. You may harvest 5 daily with a carapace (upper shell)  strait line length of at least 12" and there is a season limit of 30.
Sorry not trying to hijack the post but, I will gladly answer any New York Reptile and /or Amphibian questions

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:22 PM »
GOT LIKE 4 OR 5 IN THE SMALL BOAT HARBOR THIS YEAR

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:58 PM »
If I ever catch a mudpuppy I can assure you I'm not taking the hook out of that thing while its alive, but ill let it go anyway so I don't get caught

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:07 PM »
All snakes are protected in New York. With no open season.
Snapping turtles have a open Hunting season. Key word hunting. You must have a small game hunting license and the only legal implement is a firearm or bow. The season is from July 15th-September 30th. You may harvest 5 daily with a carapace (upper shell)  strait line length of at least 12" and there is a season limit of 30.
Sorry not trying to hijack the post but, I will gladly answer any New York Reptile and /or Amphibian questions

thats pretty  interesting  , i never knew  that 

Offline freezerfiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:31 PM »
have caught several around grand island with one this year being over 16" that was loose in my hut for a few minutes, not my favorite catch at all!

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Never caught one in open water though,just through the ice...where do they go in the open water months?,I do a lot of diving/snorkeling and have never came across one

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I have only ever caught them in the spring while bullhead fishing

Offline Coyote1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get em while the water warm they soft and mushy!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:22 AM »
My friend caught a very large ling on Sturgeon pt a few years back i could barely get him tthrough an 8 in hole he fought him for more than 30 minutes on 6lb he was a lil over 16 lbs which is close to state record if not better.He took him into Sturgeon marina taxidermist which went under shortly after never got his fish or money back!!! But that was a prize fish in my eyes and looked like a dinosaur!I have heard the best depth is 30-40 right at dark and for few hours into the night
On the search for monster perch

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:18 PM »

The mud puppy can show you which way to go.
I used to know these things.
Now old age is creeping up on me
And the white man.
Is sneaking up on me.
Again
Gecko
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline oleanjeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:20 PM »
How about the hellbenders, they are in the Allegany river down by me, we have got a few of them and they are pretty big and nasty.  Any of those in Erie?

FrankM

« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2014, 03:13 PM »
I've only caught mud puppies. Biggest ones about 14" long.

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:40 AM »
I've only caught mud puppies. Biggest ones about 14" long.

My friend Gus caught one of these gecko's in Erie last weekend. Hoping to catch more today. He wants to bring a few home for an aquarium for his grandkids.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:42 AM »
  Hoping to catch more today. He wants to bring a few home for an aquarium for his grandkids.

:nono: :nono:    That would be against the law....     ;) ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Against the law to catch them or keep a few as a pet? I've got a koy pond I'm going to toss one in.

FrankM

« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I'll be out there tomorrow.  Perch, walleyes, lings and mud puppies watch out! 

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Against the law to catch them or keep a few as a pet? I've got a koy pond I'm going to toss one in.
You cant keep them, they are a protected species. And im guessing youre koi wouldnt like it very much either

Offline kawz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:39 AM »
The one person above is correct on Oneida about mudpuppies.  They are somewhat common through the ice. I caught one earlier this year through the ice on Oneida - about 12".  zero fight (thought it was a baby perch) and they are rather nasty.  I was not unhappy it got off the hook with little work and I nudged him back down the hole.   I did see a smaller one (about 6-7") that came out of the stomach of a good sized brookie, while cleaning it in a lake in Algonquin Park, Ontario.  Thought at first it was a large salamander, but the colors were that of a mudpuppy and since it was about a day after ice-out, few self-respecting salamanders would likely be out yet. I guess a hungry brookie would eat just about anything. 
to those going to Erie, Good luck.  Due to proximity and honey due lists, I'll be sticking with the "minnows" on Oneida  :)   

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I actually have a mud puppy as a pet in my basement its about 18 inches long.  for anyone who is interested PM me i'll tell you where you can buy one they are not collected in NY and are therefore legal to buy.  They do have teeth and have a very quick head snap mine eats pike minnows and swallows them sideways I no longer stick my hand in the tank though she has jumped out and tried to crawl away. they are a very cool member of the salamander faimily and are one of the species that rarly goes through the full metamorpisus to adult stage very similar to axolotls.  they tend to live in burrows and caves in rocky areas they are cold water friendly and thats why they are more active under the ice than in the summer
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline Jigolo J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I actually have a mud puppy as a pet in my basement its about 18 inches long.  for anyone who is interested PM me i'll tell you where you can buy one they are not collected in NY and are therefore legal to buy.  They do have teeth and have a very quick head snap mine eats pike minnows and swallows them sideways I no longer stick my hand in the tank though she has jumped out and tried to crawl away. they are a very cool member of the salamander faimily and are one of the species that rarly goes through the full metamorpisus to adult stage very similar to axolotls.  they tend to live in burrows and caves in rocky areas they are cold water friendly and thats why they are more active under the ice than in the summer
In New York,

"You may not harvest, take, or possess any native snakes, lizards, or salamanders at any time."

Quoted from New York DEC small game seasons.

Offline thecreature

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:17 AM »
^^ If you buy one that is not from NY and can prove you got it from a location where it is legal, is it considered native? I would think not.

Offline Jigolo J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 03, 2014, 02:40 PM »
^^ If you buy one that is not from NY and can prove you got it from a location where it is legal, is it considered native? I would think not.
Yes. It would still be considered a native species. If you could prove that it was legally collected outside of the state of New York.  They(DEC) may issue you, for a annual fee, a revocable permit to possess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.