New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Erie Mud Puppy and Ling Thread  (Read 7693 times)

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
Re: Lake Erie Mud Puppy and Ling Thread
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:42 AM »
My friend Steven kept a mud gecko last week to bring home and show his grandkids. He did not keep it though. He augered a hole and put it in his pond in the backyard. I just hope it doesn't grow to 5 feet long and eat his chickens which are free range.
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline kguerrette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:47 AM »
I caught one of these here in Patties pond in Winslow , Maine last week, I had never seen it before and show the biologist and I released it alive. kinda weird fish.
If unsure of conditions on early Ice, always go with guys bigger than you. Let them go on first........

FrankM

« Reply #32 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:48 AM »
My friend Steven kept a mud gecko last week to bring home and show his grandkids. He did not keep it though. He augered a hole and put it in his pond in the backyard. I just hope it doesn't grow to 5 feet long and eat his chickens which are free range.
Now he needs to find a mud puppete to keep his mud puppy company or he will get lonely.  Then he can have a pond full of little mud puppinos.  Just make sure you give them plenty of rawhide chew toys and train the chickens to stay away from the water.

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:50 AM »
what do u mean he possessed and kept it both illeagal

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:55 AM »
he caught it in canadian waters on erie, so it was out of state and as mentioned previously.

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I just got my 1st mud puppy ice fishing yesterday in Owasco lake and cut the line let it go about 12 inches twist and curl ugly why would anyone want to keep one are they good for anything what do they do clean up the bottom  I have heard of them being caught in the Susquehanna up to 3 ft. is that possible or I've  never seen a hellbender  are they the same thing?

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:23 AM »
if they grow to 3 feet long then my friend's chickens are in deep trouble, but i'm not sure how long they would last out of water running around with those giant red ears of theirs. i would tend to think theyd be better foraging for cat tails shoots and seeds on the bottom.
When we were in China back in the early 60's, in the navy, they grew some ungodly looking salamanders and geckos. They would eat them. I guess you could try to take the backstraps off a mud gecko and deep fry it?

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #37 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:32 AM »
When we were in China back in the early 60's, in the navy, they grew some ungodly looking salamanders and geckos. They would eat them. I guess you could try to take the backstraps off a mud gecko and deep fry it?

I bet the Chinese welcomed a US naval fleet with open arms in the 60's ? That must have been a pathfinder mission for Nixon !!
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:47 PM »
if they grow to 3 feet long then my friend's chickens are in deep trouble, but i'm not sure how long they would last out of water running around with those giant red ears of theirs. i would tend to think theyd be better foraging for cat tails shoots and seeds on the bottom.
I think I can remember something about the red ears being external gills thou not sure  as for the back straps I will stick with the deer and perch  :thumbsup:

FrankM

« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Be careful, the L6 at China King just might be mud puppy backstraps, or some other kind of puppy.

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #40 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I think I can remember something about the red ears being external gills thou not sure  as for the back straps I will stick with the deer and perch  :thumbsup:

I read about them. They are ears and fins combined. They listen for vibrations with them, thus ears, and along with their tail and legs it helps them swim faster, thus fins. There's no need to come up for air since their aquatic geckos.

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:58 PM »
We watch one couple years ago on camera at Oneida lake come and eat every minnow that came off while jigging for walleyes but it would not touch the one on the jig. pretty neat watching it .

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Deep fried Mud Puppies are almost as good as poached Eagle cheeks if you fry them right. ;D

Offline aquaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • This is what we do and when we do it.
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:15 PM »
I read about them. They are ears and fins combined. They listen for vibrations with them, thus ears, and along with their tail and legs it helps them swim faster, thus fins. There's no need to come up for air since their aquatic geckos.
   When does the Comedy Tour start guys. ( such crazy hijinks need a stage)
I remember  EVERY DAY  I Hunted or Fished, .......The other days I...uh....umm.....must a did somethin, else.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Mr.Conklin, is it not true that the elusive mud puppy gecko breathes thru it's anus? I thought I saw that on the Internet somewhere. It would also aid in blood oxygenation to the geckos large red ears.for the record, only young mud geckos are called "puppies" when they reach age 10 ( which in amphibian years = 37.5 years) then they are known as Mud Dogs. You're welcome.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Deep fried Mud Puppies are almost as good as poached Eagle cheeks if you fry them right. ;D
Ahh  yes those poached eagle cheeks a long time favorite  :roflmao:

FrankM

« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:50 AM »
Don't forget sea kittens.  I love sea kittens whether fried or baked.  (Sea Kittens is another silly concept dreamed up by our psycho friends at PETA.  They figure if you call fish sea kittens it will make more people feel sorry for them so they can further their agenda to eliminate us evil carnivores and fish killers.)

Offline 1952

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heck it's only money keep going!
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:54 PM »
Sea girlything much better then kitty :P
If it smells like fish what do You think it is???

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I caught one today! After a couple whacks with the scoop the hook popped right out, I'm sorry to report that when I walked away for a second that a seagull decided he looked like lunch

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:00 PM »
if I catch a sea kitten maybe I could release it in the coy pond with the mud puppy?

FrankM

« Reply #50 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Only if you pull his teeth.
See Ladge, You pull his teeth and he's harmless as a heel hound.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.