The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 10" holes are a hazard - minor rant  (Read 4912 times)

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 10" holes are a hazard - minor rant
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:48 PM »
I hope it wasn't one of my holes, I bought the auger sight unseen, and never thought a ten inch hole would be so big. I normally use a 6 inch auger, but my desire to get a power auger and the price was great. By next season I can see getting a smaller auger, or a different one. I drilled a lot of holes sunday and hated the size. was way over kill, and I do know what you mean the holes were covering fast with snow and not freezing well. You have not offended me at all, rather confirmed my embarrassment of leaving a hazard like that.
Great way to handle situation ! It's nice to see your concern over the topic, even if they may not have been your holes! Thanks !

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Taz,  You called it early on the forth posting.

It has always been said that experience is the best teacher and that surely applies here also.  A little common sense should be used on both sides but from reading the posts here blaming the victim seems very foolish.

Why can't the "sportsman" consider the unintended consequences of their actions and how it could effect others ? My eight grandchildren deserve a safe fishing experience, one trip in a hole and it can ruin a young persons desire to ever return.

Many of us were taught over the years to be responsible for our own actions. 
Is putting a stick in the hole to protect others too much to ask the naysayers for ?

I have had the situation happen to me, and a number of my friends over time. But that does not change my mind on the legality and or choice to use a ten inch auger. I still venture upon the ice, but I accept the fate that at any given moment I may step on thin ice, a muskrat exit snowed over, or a ten inch auger hole. It is one of the hazards we are all willing to accept. But I will not belittle, condemn, harass or make sound foolish, my fellow sportsmen that opt, choose and desire to use a ten inch auger, it is their right. Some have them because they chase ginormous fish, some for sight fishing, some for quicker augering of spearing holes. Some for tip-up preference. Whatever their reason, it is their choice. I have a friend that was unable to use a hand auger, went to nab a power auger, and it was all they had, a ten. So now he has one, and uses it.

But I will not divide our sporting community by acting like I am better sportsman, have better morals, am a better this or that, because of the size auger another fellow in our sport uses.

Stop embarrassing yourself, stop the condemnation, complaining and finger pointing and understand that of the 50,000+ members we have here, some will do things different than you, but it does not mean your better than them, or they are worse than you. If you cannot stand the heat, stay off the ice. Get a floater suit or use snow shoes if your scared, but stop attacking other honorable, good law abiding sportsmen, we have enough to fight against with the anti's and PETA for crying out loud.

Offline tip ups

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never enough!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:58 PM »
see your point but won"t be told I HAVE NO RIGHT!!  :%$#!:
Maken time to dip your line. Flag up!!

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:59 PM »
i got a 8 inch but try not to use for this very reason it make's a big hole. we get a few guys that are a tad over the hill were i fish that could break a hip or leg or even worst neck falling cause of these holes.

i am not saying to ban the 10 inch or the 8 inch auger just try to use it less. that or throw some timber in your  sled on the way out to mark your holes. even spearing holes according to the old rule books are and should be covered with timber. but of course people of the state removed it when they up dated the laws. but still use common scene and teach the youth of the world and Michigan on ice safety involving how and why to mark spearing holes And big auger holes. 

just like rl wagner is saying that 6 inch could be bad for a kid too that why we should mark are holes no mater what. it use to be a spearing rule like in the late 90's early 2000's just a head up.  this is when they did a lot of rule changes around this time.. pike you use to be able to shot with a bow and throw them in the garbage but not no more.  it changed for a good reason cause pike are good to eat! just like the hole should be mark when leaving..

sorry not ranting just stating facts sorry if it sounds like a rant. it is true you should mark old holes and use common scene. like using long handled ax at a camp ground with kids running around.  what is the first thing that should be done when using long handled axes they teach it in the boy scouts? please feel free to answer i know this one let see if you do?       

Offline noicks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Your the man delta :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:07 PM »
any hole out there could be dangerous a little melting and even a 5 inch hole can turn into a man swallower.i remember the days when we axed holes in the ice or spudded them ya think anybody took the time to measure them.i know its up to me to be careful out there and don't judge anybody of what size hole they drill.

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I think 10" is overkill but if I used a vex it would make it easier to put in the same hole as line. gives you more room in the hole. if someone wants to use a 10" auger no reason someone should tell them no.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:22 PM »
IMO A 10" auger hole is pointless. And yes, all my spearing holes are ALWAYS marked after using them.  Have fun drilling those ten inchers. I can get through the ice quicker with my 6" Mora hand auger. ;D
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Dang and to think I was going to make 14" power auger cause a 10 was'nt big enough..... ;D ;) ;D

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:36 PM »
IMO a 10 inch hole is too big and a hazard. If you want to sight fish drill a grid of smaller holes. I like a hole set back from the one I have my line in so that I dont have to bend over the hole to see my bait anyways and saves my back from aching becuase I have been bent over a hole all day starring down it. Maybe you guys that think diffrent then this would think differently if you stepped in a hole covered with snow that you could not see. My brother stepped in one once and twisted his ankle bad and ended our fishing trip that day. What the heck would you need a 10 inch hole for anyways......maybe if I was fishing for tuna. ???

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Those 10" guys make me feel so insignificant as a man with my 6"......  :'(

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Well I say to all you 10" auger users just mark your holes when you're done.  An empty propane tank maybe an empty bag of doritos, or a spent can of chew anything like that should do.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:38 PM »
and here I spent the time and money to get the strike master 10'' to drill just a 10'' hole and not a 15'' [blades out of calibration ] ;D

and Dave I don't see how a kid will fit threw a 10'' hole but I digress

from here on out all holes I find/drill ill mark [no sarcasm intended]

but if ya fall over a stick frozen in the ice  ::)

BTW the auger was purchased from a family member of a departed ice fisherman here in the Keweenaw for a real good price [new auger]

and ill be looking into a smaller auger for the power head wen the $ is available

SnoHam13

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:02 PM »

I use my 10" quite often and don't have any issues with it, is it a little over kill ....... Absolutely. But to be quite honest I have people on the ice always ask to use it over their hand auger. I had a 8" Eskimo a few years back that had a massive heart attack and didn't make it, this happened about this time of the season.  The only power auger I could find was this jiffy 10", did I want a 10" ? Not really ....... But I've got one and will continue to use it without a second thought. Pressure cracks with rain open up, springs open up holes ....... Bottom line, watch where you step

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:04 PM »
And yes, mine is bigger than yours   ;D

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Have seen more than a few people step in snow covered 10" holes.

Up at the cabin a few years back one of the residents was drilling a trapline of 10"ers for his tipups , blowing snow was covering them up and insulating them, about 3 different people stepped into one that week, it was a popular spot for tipups, and he thought it was hilarious until it was his turn, after that we never saw that auger again.

That being said would I ever own one, no. Do I like that big of hole in the ice, no. Should I tell someone else they shouldn't or how to use one , no.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:16 PM »

and Dave I don't see how a kid will fit threw a 10'' hole but I digress

SnoHam13

For curiosity sake just measured my 3 yr old son shoulder to shoulder he is right around 10"
So yes could see a small child going through a 10" hole

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:24 PM »
There have been some reports on here about guys catching killer whales in the area so this maybe the reason. RL Wagner the snow shoes in light snow might not be a bad idea. I am afraid if I break a leg I will not be able to work. Swampbuckster that is what I am saying to. You should have seen the guys out on LSC last weekend. I almost walked over to cut some holes for them with my hand auger took atleast four or five times longer.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:30 PM »
 Just one more great reason to not allow a toddler to run around the ice un attended for sure. Between the heaters, razor blade augers, thin ice, spearing holes, strangers, sharp hooks, and 10" auger holes, man, sounds like a mine field.

Offline afishhawk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Mr. Wagner

What was said was that "blaming the victim seems very foolish".  Meaning , Mark the holes, don't blame the person that went thru it. 
No one questioned the legality of a ten inch hole.  No one said anything about "rights".

The comment or concern was more of a safety issue than one of legality. No one questioned anyone's rights to their hole size preference.
It appears that any finger pointing was done in your response, by you.
You say: "I will not belittle" , well, maybe you should read your post.
You say: "some will do things different than you"   holds true, listen up.
If you dangerously assume what others meant or intended with their comments it causes one to get the wrong perception, and that's how you got here.   

Thirty years ago my wife fell thru an unmarked 2 x 2 spearing hole in 12 fow.
She hasn't been back on the ice since!  Is being responsible and marking the hole too much to ask ?
Hope the weather straightens up so everyone can get out fishing, Might help. 

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Alright already... I'll use my 9 from now on. 

But when you're trying to pull a 40 inch laker thru a 6-7 inch hole forget it. Or steelie or a decent Eye.

Ice fishing it DANGEROUS!   It just is. 

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I don't care what size auger anyone uses. I think we have to many rules/laws (not just fishing) to begin with. Heck we have to much government period! But to put the blame on anyone is ridiculous. If you are worried about them wear snowshoes, if you're worried about your kid put snowshoes on them. Instead of complaining about others choices/preferences, just make it so you don't have to worry about it. I wore snowshoes tonight, not because I was worried about holes, but because they provide great grip and flotation in snow. They are easy to make if you don't want to spend money on them. I have a pair I made, and a pair I bought. I like them so much that I chose to pay good money for a great pair. My kid has a pair and has worn them since she could walk.
Levi

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Not trying to hijack your post ski but what is a good size hole for tip ups? For pike that is. I currently have a 5" blazer with the drill attachment and a Stanley 20v drill that works awesome. But do I need a 6 or 7 inch?

sorry just realized this was here with all the griping over nothing. use your five inch and drill two - three holes in a triangle pattern or next to each other. then spud or chisel out the center of them with a spud. presto no need for a new auger.  no added weight of a 8 inch being carried around. the three hole is aprox, a ten inch hole just a hair smaller. sorry not trying to high jack just help figure some good should come out of this thread!    8 inch but hate carrying a extra auger for tip ups.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:59 PM »
I don't care what size auger anyone uses. I think we have to many rules/laws (not just fishing) to begin with. Heck we have to much government period! But to put the blame on anyone is ridiculous. If you are worried about them wear snowshoes, if you're worried about your kid put snowshoes on them. Instead of complaining about others choices/preferences, just make it so you don't have to worry about it. I wore snowshoes tonight, not because I was worried about holes, but because they provide great grip and flotation in snow. They are easy to make if you don't want to spend money on them. I have a pair I made, and a pair I bought. I like them so much that I chose to pay good money for a great pair. My kid has a pair and has worn them since she could walk.

Well said Levi

Offline Allen1203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hunter!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Well said Levi

Thanks, sorry the Libertarian in me came out as usual  ::)
Levi

Offline greatlakescallco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:08 PM »
10'' hole is a good way to lose a Vexilar! Not to mention a child...

Common sense will end this debate quicker than ego.

Offline Capt J

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:11 PM »

What are you saying Exactly?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:13 PM »
<Rant on

I fished the Midwest open tournament this weekend. A lot of holes were drilled by a lot of people. I went to one of my spots, and started drilling holes with my 5" auger. As I moved to my 3rd drilling location, I stepped into a 10" hole that had been covered by blowing snow. My Mickey Mouse got stuck about 4" down, in a very painful ankle bent postion. I could have broken my leg. If I would have had a smaller boot on, I would have been up to my crotch in water. Unless you are in SALT WATER, or spearing, you have no right to put others into harm's way! I don't care if you are sight fishing, or anything else. If you should have to drill one of these, PLANT A TREE!  Indicate that it is there. It is also a HUGE danger to children on the ice. They could fall all the way through. Several teams had kids for members.

Rant off>

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Dave

Fishhawk, start over from the beginning again please. Note the opeds ref to "having no right". You lose credibility when you spin like this hawk. Sorry, but I feel the op ed is wrong in wanting to take others rights away, blaming others for hia boo boo and trying to diminish the respect of our fellow sportsmen that choose to use a ten inch for what ever reason they do. Myself I do not, but I do not propose trampling on others rights. Don't Tread On Me"?

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:20 PM »

its not a common sense debate.

you can use whatever size auger you want. are there situations you want a 10" auger? sure. is there times is not needed? yes. can someone tell everyone else not use them because they don't like them? not a chance

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:23 PM »
As far as overkill... it obviously depends on what your fishing for.  A 30+ walleye is thick, a 40+ pike is equally so, a 40+ laker is the same and through three or four feet of ice it can (is) be nearly impossible to get one to turn into a 10" hole let alone an 8 or 6".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.