The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Hooks  (Read 3234 times)

Offline fishinfergy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hooks
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Do you like to use the old original hook or the new red hooks (bleeding hooks)?

I prefer the new red ones and size six what do all of you prefer, for bass and pickerel?

Fergy
Go B's

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:53 PM »
regular circle hooks

Offline Ice Bird1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:55 PM »
i starting using the red ones last year i personally prefer them

Offline MASSICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:17 PM »
i havent used the bleedin hooks on hard water but i do know they work miracles in the summer. ill try them when i get out there
Green Hornet JR.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:29 PM »
What size hooks do most of you guys use? I have a few different sizes on. Just trying to see which works best. I also like the blood hooks better too. I think im gonna put on some smaller hooks for the weekend.

Offline Ice Bird1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:58 PM »
normal i use a size 6 but go bigger when i use wire leaders for pike

Offline nemachuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:09 AM »
Usually use between 4's to 1/0.  All depends on the bait.  I tried circle hooks last year and was not impressed.  Got just as many throat hooks as the snelled.  Thinking of trying some quick strike rigs this year for pike.   Though I will not be excited about taking out treble hooks.  Something to trying anyways.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:04 AM »
Nemachuk,

If you are mainly catch and release I do NOT recomend a treble hook. AT least with a conventional hook and you get a "gut hook" the chance of the fishes survival is greater......with a treble "gut hook" the fish is done.
I have caught many fish with conventional hooks still in their guts and the fish are fine!!!! Obviously they are still eating because they took my bait.
I know from past experience some fish will just sit on your bait and not trip your flag.....causing a gut hook most of the time. Ever go and check a trap and find a fish on the end????
I truly do not recomend the Treble hooks unless you intend to keep and eat whatever you are catching.
Missing a fish is all a part of the process......which is why they call it fishing, not catching. Have fun......but we can't catch them all.
Just my .02....... ;)
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline weedeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Hi folks! I'm brand new to the board here and this is my first post!!! :)

Normally we used the standard snelled baitholder shiner hooks.  Two years ago we tried circle hooks and weren't very impressed.  We lost as many on them as with the baitholders and yes still had plenty of deep or guthooks.   

Last year we tried red wide gap and octopus hooks and were pretty satisfied with the fewer losses.

I was looking at the Matsuo Octopus in red chrome on Cabelas today.. They look pretty interesting to me!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:11 AM »
I like the octopus hooks myself..... :thumbsup:

Welcome to the board!!!!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:50 AM »
I also tried the circle hooks couple of yrs ago and didnt like em either Havent tried octupus hooks Are they only avaolible by catalog or does any 1/2 decr=ent bait shop have them/Ptaying thi srain doesnt screw up the ice we have so far really would like to get out this weekenf Good luck everyone and be safe :tipup:

Gerry

Offline nemachuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Mugz,

The whole point of a quick strike rig is to set the hook right away.  I dont know how many times that I have seen people wait minutes to set the hook cuz they wait to make sure they have "swallowed it".  No waiting with this setup.  When u get there and its running you set it and should get less gut hooks.  Yeah I agree that some fish might sit there with it and swallow it, but never had a fish have the bait and never trip the flag.  Mine are always set very light so the result in a lot of shiner hits so I dont worry about a fish just sitting there with it.  In my experience the longer u wait for the fish to have it the deeper the hook.  This helps to eliminate that.  Well from what I read it does.  If I try then we will see.  Have you tried it yet or is that from hear say?  Anyone else out there use a quick strike rig?  Also I read this rig also allows you to use bigger bait (5"+ shiners or suckers) and not have to worry about them working them self free. At also $1.50 to $3 for a single large bait fish thats a lot of money.   So with the money I just saved I can afford to give u my $.02 back.  ;) 

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:05 PM »
A quick Strike Rig is nothing more than A leader with a couple treble hooks on it. Theres nothing special about it. It's a treble hook...bottom line.
A gutted treble is a lot worse than a regular gutted hook.

Here's something I found about Quick Strike Rigs

Quick-Strike Rigs - Quick strike rigs usually consist of one or more treble hooks tipped with live bait. The strong point in the use of this form of tackle is that when the fish takes the bait, it almost cannot help but get one of the hooks. The downside of this type of rig is that if the fish is hooked deeply, it is difficult to remove the hook(s) without causing damage to the fish. To minimize injury to the fish, the hook must be set quickly, before the fish has a chance to swallow the bait and get get the hook lodged too deeply to remove without injury. One must use a quick strike rig with good judgement. When using quick strike rigs, be prepared to keep a damaged fish once in a while, and consider it part of your bag limit.
-Frank Zappa

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:10 PM »
give me a tilt, a shinner, and ill hope for a flag...  i may be strange... but i like to set the hook, feel the fight.. and even loose them everynow and then.   if i cought fish everytime i went... i prolly would not go as often!! -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:29 PM »
Been fishing the red bleeder hooks gamakatsu are by far the best nice and sharp and the extra red adds a little more color. I need all the help I can get. I agree with Mugz about the treble hooks tried them one year nothing but trouble wound up keeping more fish nbecause of gut hooks than I normally would. Not worth the hassle especialy if you are a catch and release person. Anyway just another opinion good luck fishing to all hope to see ya out on the ice ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:42 PM »
I also use the smaller bleeding octopus hooks, I have not had and problems with gut hooking fish last winter.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:56 PM »
u guys must be using bad circle hooks :D  we dont even have to set the hook that much

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I have a mix of Octopus and Gami circles. Like em both and really don't lose that many fish.

Nemachuk....that post above was not a knock on you at all, give them a try.....I just don't see the reason to use trebles, that's all.

Now, if I was fishing the Winneppesauki Derby (or however you spell it) and they allowed me to use trebles I WOULD. I would hate to lose a big Salmon during a tourney when the $$ was on the line!!! Plus, that's good eats!!!
-Frank Zappa

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:08 PM »
I have a mix of Octopus and Gami circles. Like em both and really don't lose that many fish.

Nemachuk....that post above was not a knock on you at all, give them a try.....I just don't see the reason to use trebles, that's all.

Now, if I was fishing the Winneppesauki Derby (or however you spell it) and they allowed me to use trebles I WOULD. I would hate to lose a big Salmon during a tourney when the $$ was on the line!!! Plus, that's good eats!!!
mugz you can not take salmon in winni threwthe ice

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Really....I did not know that. Never fished it through the ice......I was just using it as an example, that's all.
-Frank Zappa

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.