Author Topic: do you think this pic is real?  (Read 7834 times)

billybono

do you think this pic is real?
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:29 PM »
just surfing around and came across this http://www.alaska.com/activities/fish/species/v-enlarge/story/4850644p-4793289c.html  thisk its real?

billybono

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
Re: do you think this pic is real?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:36 PM »
I think it's real scary! :unsure:

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Do i think whats real? The picture, or the facts? Well they are both real, pike have been known for eating fish almost the same size as them, even other pike, unfortunately, they sometimes choke on their prey and die :'(

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I believe it 100%

hali-man

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:57 PM »
No- From what I understand pike swallow their prey head-first.  ???

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:01 PM »
I cant see why it wouldnt be. As a graphic artist i tried lookin for flaws. In fact I cant read a paper without lookin for mistakes.
Fish do eat other fish. When there not stealing my bait.

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I think all fish want to swallow prey head first. I have an aquarium at home. Ive seen them try to eat prey sideways.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:12 PM »
From the scared look on that trout, I'd say it's real. I can see "oh $h!t" written all over his face.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:15 PM »
Just wait...... That looks a lot like a musky, not a pike :-\

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:36 PM »
The colors might be different in an aquarium. The thing I noticed right away was WHERE ARE THE TEETH ???  It looks to be a real picture but all I know is the Pike around here have alot more and bigger teeth than this one apears to have.

Cool picture!!!!!!!
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:37 PM »
You can just see the left bank of teeth. A pikes teeth dont really show unless it's mouth is real wide, and they are kinda semi-transparent anyways. Water distorts light some too...

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:58 PM »
believe it 100%
Go Team PA!

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Do i think whats real? The picture, or the facts? Well they are both real, pike have been known for eating fish almost the same size as them, even other pike, unfortunately, they sometimes choke on their prey and die :'(

A couple weeks ago I was watching a fly-fishing show on TV where theye were fishing for pike at some fly-in camp in Alaska or Canada (can't remember which), but the host NETTED about a 36" pike that had swallowed another pike that was about 30".  Half of the smaller fish was still sticking out, while some of it head was partially digested.  They pulled it out and let the big girl go, otherwise she probably wouldn't have made it.

As for the head-first thing, I'm sure even the best of pike screw it up sometimes!

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:01 PM »
Pic looks pretty Convincing... :)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:14 PM »
A couple weeks ago I was watching a fly-fishing show on TV where theye were fishing for pike at some fly-in camp in Alaska or Canada (can't remember which), but the host NETTED about a 36" pike that had swallowed another pike that was about 30".  Half of the smaller fish was still sticking out, while some of it head was partially digested.  They pulled it out and let the big girl go, otherwise she probably wouldn't have made it.

As for the head-first thing, I'm sure even the best of pike screw it up sometimes!
Yeah, i saw that one to, it was in Canada, that was pretty cool how that that pike ate that small pike :o

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:31 PM »
If you look at pike in aquariums esp small pike they look light and their teeth aren't big.... and if you look closely you can see the bean shaped marks... and the description said that.. in an instant the fish was food.... and a pike could swallow a 7 inch trout( if it was 24-28 inches itself)   in the strike... so it surely could be real!!!!  awesome timing thats All I have to say

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:59 PM »
i caught a bass with a small bass stickn put of its mouth once, also caught a pickeral with a small perch sticking out once.

Offline fishergurl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:39 PM »
I've seen that on a national geographic show once... i think it's real!

billybono

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:55 PM »
it just seemed a little too perfect to me thats all. ive taken some perch out of northern swallowed whole, so that isnt what i was questioning i guess. just the timing to get a pic like that seems a little far feched to me...but....did ya see this one on myfishfinder?

thing is i didnt even question that one, so i dont know why i did this one. here is a pic last winter of perch i took out of 1 pike

so i guess its possible....just some really good timing

billybono

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Fish cannot swallow other fish quickly like us humans could, especially if teh pikes stomach was full.     Its a real picture Ill gaurantee that.      I haev even seen 2 year old brown and rainbow trout with there little nefews (1 year old trout) sticking out of there mouths.       
    That pike would have been having a really hard time swallowing that trout like that.    Id say it would be in comparison to us swallowing a pine cone backwards.    Not fun at all.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:08 PM »
pic looks real to me... no doubt.. shucks i have fished with a 16 in sucker
and caught a 20 in pike, had that darn sucker shoved right down its throat he did

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:16 PM »
It's real.  That photo was taken and now is used as propaganda.  Our state has been trying to eradicate pike from many a lake around the Anchorage area for years.  They're invasive to the area, and feed heavily on the local trout.  The story is BS if you ask me!  Just a good sob story for all the trout purists in the valley.  They depict the pike as the "ultimate trout carnivore."  Yeah, I know.... They're pretty effective at eating trout, but it's almost impossible to eradicate the pike, so embrace them! (no not like TGF or VC would embrace a fish.)  Funny thing, that area has a huge following of pike chasers, (probably because trout bore the heck out of most of them and the sure size and table fare of pike out rank it's havoc it raises...)  What a mess..... :-\  I'm pro pike!

Another story...
While living on a lake near Gwinn Michigan, some 15 or so years ago.  I watched a biologist removing stunted perch from the lake using a fike net 30 yards from my dock.  He started whooping it up, so we rowed out to see what was going on?  He had found two tiger muskies of identical size stuck head to head!  These guys were not small either, close to 15 lbs. a piece.  Turned out the same story that Rapala talked about, happened here.  One muskie tried to eat the other, and subsequently died.  I would never believed it, if I hadn't seen it for myself! :o :o  I don't know if I kept the clipping, but someone around Marquette area may remember it?  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

billybono

« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:19 PM »
yeah i was reading all about that today...it was interesting to say the least. read alot about salmon sharks too.....man i need some ice here ;)

billybono

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:05 AM »
It looks pretty real to me. Fish coloration can be affected by there environment, and if everything was light in the tank the pike would adapt to it's habitat.
The few baby pike I have seen have been a bit lighter in color then the older ones.
A friend of mine found 2 pike that tried to eat each other washed up on shore once. One pike had the other pikes head jammed down it's throat, with the recurved teeth they could not get apart.
 :blink:

WW

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:36 AM »
i had a pike take a 9" perch on a tip-up last year tail first, at least he came through the hole with the perchs head sticking out of his mouth ??? :tipup:

billybono

« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:46 AM »
i had a pike take a 9" perch on a tip-up last year tail first, at least he came through the hole with the perchs head sticking out of his mouth ??? :tipup:
so did ya clean em both?

billybono

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:56 AM »
no, i was using the perch as bait, i just took him out of the pikes mouth and back down on the hook he went to try and get another pike. :tipup:

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:43 AM »
I have seen that picture before in a book I have. I have seen a picture of two pike that were dead one swallowing another pike that was 3/4 the size of the one that was swallowing it. Pike will eat anything they could catch. They are a very good eating machine. Where they are native they do a good job keeping smaller fish populations at very good levels. But like any other invasive species if they do not belong they can wreak havoc on native populations.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:12 AM »
It's real.  That photo was taken and now is used as propaganda.  Our state has been trying to eradicate pike from many a lake around the Anchorage area for years.  They're invasive to the area, and feed heavily on the local trout.  The story is BS if you ask me!  Just a good sob story for all the trout purists in the valley.  They depict the pike as the "ultimate trout carnivore."  Yeah, I know.... They're pretty effective at eating trout, but it's almost impossible to eradicate the pike, so embrace them! (no not like TGF or VC would embrace a fish.)  Funny thing, that area has a huge following of pike chasers, (probably because trout bore the heck out of most of them and the sure size and table fare of pike out rank it's havoc it raises...)  What a mess..... :-\  I'm pro pike!

Another story...
While living on a lake near Gwinn Michigan, some 15 or so years ago.  I watched a biologist removing stunted perch from the lake using a fike net 30 yards from my dock.  He started whooping it up, so we rowed out to see what was going on?  He had found two tiger muskies of identical size stuck head to head!  These guys were not small either, close to 15 lbs. a piece.  Turned out the same story that Rapala talked about, happened here.  One muskie tried to eat the other, and subsequently died.  I would never believed it, if I hadn't seen it for myself! :o :o  I don't know if I kept the clipping, but someone around Marquette area may remember it?  -Barleydog

I do remember that Barleydog. I believe that was Big Shag Lake in Gwinn. The DNR shortly thereafter stopped planting Musky here, because they were deemed "too aggressive".

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:33 AM »
I cant see why it wouldnt be. As a graphic artist i tried lookin for flaws. In fact I cant read a paper without lookin for mistakes.
Fish do eat other fish. When there not stealing my bait.

I would like to think it is real, but, looking at the trout, the eye looks like it is glowing from artificial light, and I don't think it would be if it was truly in the mouth like that.  The lips of the fish do not look like they have light on them from a flash.  Unless the gill is open enough to let light in to make the eye glow?  It would be simple to build this pic in Photoshop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.