Author Topic: brutal weather  (Read 3398 times)

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
brutal weather
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:20 AM »
Man itsbrutal out there. Went out to start shoveling snow , 5 " ,drifting , 28mh winds , 6 degree. Glad Im waiting to fish till sunday. If anyone goes out today or tomorrow , take care , dress warm , be safe .

Offline majcuz

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: brutal weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:34 AM »
Got up an hour ago to start plowing out the farm,   yea,    still drinking coffee and looking out the window.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:53 AM »
Last night into this morning you did not want to be outside never mind icefishing,I took a walk last night it was brutal. At 6:50 the snow seems to be slowing but not the winds, we are in for one of our coldest days in a long time. I'm going to huddle around the camp fire today. Good idea to wait till the weekend Bugchazer the wind chill is well below zero

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:30 AM »
All I know is u dont have to worry about the snow slowing up the icemaking with these temps...probably make an easy inch of ice today.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I can't speak for larger bodies of water, but the 10 acre ponds on my way to work are all slush. One of them has been locked for three weeks. We only have about six inches here, is there more up North?

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:17 AM »
There was over a foot on Champlain early this week :)
Seriously though, I haven't found any ice in eastern CT that's safe enough for me to enjoy fishing on. Gonna scout some places today/tomorrow and will post some info. Hopefully this snow blew off any existing ice and I can get out Sunday.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:11 AM »
the temp in litchfield is 0 degress and honkin wind  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:19 AM »
There was over a foot on Champlain early this week :)
Seriously though, I haven't found any ice in eastern CT that's safe enough for me to enjoy fishing on. Gonna scout some places today/tomorrow and will post some info. Hopefully this snow blew off any existing ice and I can get out Sunday.

I was there Sunday and was walking on mostly firm stuff, some slush, this was roughly 5 or so miles south of Canada.

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:17 AM »
they were calling for 7 to 14 inches in my parts..got 2 and a half...what a joke
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:26 AM »
It's a good joke, less is much better....going out tomorrow am...-14 start...

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I'm gonna be hitting my crappie lake tomorrow afternoon til dark then a club pond sunday
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:18 AM »
It's a good joke, less is much better....going out tomorrow am...-14 start...
hope your smile freezes in place......no wait.....already did
Gadabout

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Yesterday was brutal and wouldn't of gone out without the shanty. Tommorow morning is gonna be insane cold

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Yesterday was brutal and wouldn't of gone out without the shanty. Tommorow morning is gonna be insane cold

Agreed that it's really cold, but our IS friends in the upper midwest, Canada and AK put up with this stuff all year long. Sure makes good ice!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:32 PM »
hope your smile freezes in place......no wait.....already did

Edierz didn't ban you yet?  There is to be no complaining about cold, it is what we want.  I wish every morning was -14. 

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Edierz didn't ban you yet?  There is to be no complaining about cold, it is what we want.  I wish every morning was -14. 

Finding out that the two of you are entrusted with children has shocked me far more than the content of either of your posts. :o

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Finding out that the two of you are entrusted with children has shocked me far more than the content of either of your posts. :o

:roflmao:

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:27 PM »
I'm still hoping to go out tomorrow. It's gonna be a miserable first trip but I have to work most of next week and I'm anxious to get out there.

Might only bring a jigging rod and a few tipups, I hate winding up line when it's cold. Maybe a good day to try the shelter, just sit in there and jig.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:31 PM »

That is scary.....  ;D

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:32 PM »

I know right!  I had to take a training class!  Bri your next on the ban list!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I know right!  I had to take a training class!  Bri your next on the ban list!

Then who ya' gonna PM for Winch intel?  ;)

Who's your other buddy, thinicejunky? Seems a bit wound up.   ;D

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I'm still hoping to go out tomorrow. It's gonna be a miserable first trip but I have to work most of next week and I'm anxious to get out there.

Might only bring a jigging rod and a few tipups, I hate winding up line when it's cold. Maybe a good day to try the shelter, just sit in there and jig.

Velcro, in all seriousness use the shelter. Use a heater if you have it. Take it from someone who was frostbitten badly enough that I lost the skin on my hands and some on my legs and feet. Your face is really susceptible as well, stay covered up.

Best of luck to you, if you go alone don't wander too far from the car. You be safe.  :icefish:  I sound like an old geezer!  :(

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Then who ya' gonna PM for Winch intel?  ;)

Who's your other buddy, thinicejunky? Seems a bit wound up.   ;D

PM for winch Intel?  I live 15 mins away, if I didn't probably Frank.  Thinicejunky was some random guy who took pleasure in trying to take a notch out of me and then deleted his account, was all in good fun!

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Velcro, in all seriousness use the shelter. Use a heater if you have it. Take it from someone who was frostbitten badly enough that I lost the skin on my hands and some on my legs and feet. Your face is really susceptible as well, stay covered up.

Best of luck to you, if you go alone don't wander too far from the car. You be safe.  :icefish:  I sound like an old geezer!  :(

The cold makes me feel like an old geezer. :D Think just the jigging rods, spud bar, auger and shelter... and layers of clothes. No messing with shiners.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2014, 03:54 PM »
PM for winch Intel?  I live 15 mins away, if I didn't probably Frank.  Thinicejunky was some random guy who took pleasure in trying to take a notch out of me and then deleted his account, was all in good fun!

I thought it was you who PM'ed me about where to skitter around on that place for early/late ice. Maybe it was someone else. You're still welcome to join us when we hit the stumps if you haven't already, haven't forgotten that PM.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:33 PM »
This is a wierd thread..I don't know what some of you folks are talking about...anyway back to the cold...not supposed to be as windy tomorrow...so the wind chill might not be as bad as today's...especially if you can wait a little to hit the ice.  :tipup:

Here is a link to the NOAA windchill chart:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/images/windchillchart3.pdf

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:29 PM »
went to start the truck today and it kinda groaned at me.... double checked the block heater plug, added cider blankets on the hood, a tarp over the side and hood and 2 heating pads on the inside of the radiator under the hood, let sit for 2 hours and she decided to groan sputter and belch a giant cloud of smoke but it started!!!

gota love a diesel in this cold!!!!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Here in Hamden the temps never went above 14 today, at 7 pm we are dead on 0  Gotta be making good ice

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:03 PM »
6 now in norwich , I hear the ice making.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2014, 07:05 PM »
6 now in norwich , I hear the ice making.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.