Author Topic: Lake Erie  (Read 19997 times)

Offline muggs

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Erie
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:34 AM »
From what I've read, some of you guys go out on Erie to ice fish.  I've always wanted to, but I'm a little nervous about it.  I always hear stories about guys getting stranded on the ice etc...

So for the guys hear who do it.  How safe is it?  Do you mostly fish the Sandusky Bay or the main Lake?

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Lake Erie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Main Lake. If you have never been up there in the winter it is a sight that you will not believe. Last Year end of January I think ? They where going out of Mazurcks and going North to Kelley's Island. Four wheelers,Snowmobiles and three wheelers and of course the Airboats.  It looked like a Highway !! I made some walking trips last year only a mile or so. By far the safest way is to go with a guide who has a airboat. There are also some Taxi services that will take you out,drill you some holes and fish all day with you and then take you back. If you want Airboat guide or Taxi service number PM me and I'll find them.  Watch this site once ice forms to find out location where everyone is leaving from. Sometimes West from Catawba is the best spot or Crane Creek.

Hope this helps ?? Oh Yes we do fish Sandusky Bay For Perch.  I hope to be out this weekend on some  Marina Ice ????

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Can Erie ice be dangerous???  It sure can be!!!  You have to use some common sense and pay attention to the wind, current, and other changing conditions.  If you have not been out there it is best to go with others who have expience or do like wojo said and hire a taxi service or guide to get a feel for things.  You really need a snowmobile or 4-wheeler to get at the fish under most circumstances.  A good place to try if you don't have transportation is Brest Bay in Monroe, Mich.  It is only a mile walk out or so.

Wojo,  that was awesome out north of Kelly's from Mizuriks while it lasted!!!!  It was a carnival like atmosphere out there.  It was just as good with more keeper fish out of camp perry 3 years ago.  According to the weather jack-offs the same pattern we had then is what is shaping up right now.   Keep your fingers crossed!!!  That ice out of perry lasted into march in 2002 and ready for another long season this year!!!!

Beal,  give me a call when you get a chance.  My computer took a crap and I lost the info on the survival suits.  Plus we need to discuss our stratagy for this year when we get ice on the big water by Dec. 31.  We won't know what do except jump for joy.  The freezer has 1 walleye all by its lonsome.......it needs some friends in there!!!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:48 PM »
Oh Ya that was a great time off Kelley's Island. Can't wait to see what this season will Bring ??? 

Offline eyespyII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:38 PM »
We got out just west of mouse early in the year last year (don't remember the date) and did real but it didn't last very long.  You really have to be careful in this area though.  The best days we had were in late Feb. and early march.  We fished both Camp Perry and Craine Creek.  We did the best on orange do-jiggers and buck shot spoons.  I went over the bridge yesterday and the majority of it was frozen over.  The water that was open looked really clean which is a great sign.  I can't wait to get out and get some of those jumbo perch.  Last year, they never really did turn on because the water was so stained all winter.  I think this year might be a really good one in the bay.  I was also at the marinas and most of them were wide open.

Offline Papascott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:41 PM »
The early bite off mouse had some nice fish but the water was pretty muddy if memery is good. The bite off of kellys was a hoot. Never befor that had I caught 60 eyes in one day. Problem was it took 60 fish to get 6 keepers. That was some of the smoothest ice I have seen, it was wide open on the quads the whole way out to north of kellys. The bite to the west was the best. It was unreal on one trip that 4 of us had our limit in about an hour with some true hogs in the mix. I just hope that the ice this year stays put and locks in good. No more of those fishing near open water BS.

Scott

Offline muggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Well, I guess one thing that would help me get over my fears would be a 60 eye day. :)

How thick did it get out there last season?

Offline Papascott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I saw ice of every thickness last season. Some was too thin for comfort and some was too thick for my auger. Saw alot of 8-12 inch ice last year.

Scott

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:06 PM »
Hey Everyone,
Just sending a post to say hi and hope this stays active all year. I know that swantucky and me are always posting so lets try to keep the lake erie info active this year. If you have not tried lake erie yet you must it is fishing in a whole different world. be safe and happy holidays POLE

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:08 PM »
the ice held out last year and that was the best fishing at the end of the year. Nice hawgs if the ice can hold out through the late winter

Offline toboso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Muggs:

I made my first Erie ice trip last February.  I had been ice fishing for several years on inland lakes and thought I was ready.  I was reminded and amazed at how big Lake Erie is and how the ice is a different animal up there.

Definitely hire the guide if you want to get the straight poop.  If you get the chance to go with some buddies, remember that you may be trusting them with your life.  Make sure your buddies know what they're doing!!

Read the posts on this site and get a feel for what's going on.  If you have a specific question, just ask--there are some good folks who will help you (and others) do this the right way.  It is definitely worth the trip if done properly.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:02 AM »
If Swantucky on the ice it is thick enough to drive your cadilac on!!! ;D
get the poles ready it won't be long! Good fishing all see ya  on the lake 

Later Gator :tipup:
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Oh Gator-Bait is this your first post This fall ?? Fished today at the  Marina up & down with small Gills. Four perch. Talk to you soon. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:45 AM »
Hey anyone have a scoop on the progress of Lake Erie. Noaa is calling for gales through Tuesday with waves 7-10 feet. That weather doesn't sound good for ice production. My PIB connection is off the island for the holidays and from the mainland where I live there are only ice chunks floating now. Any ACCURATE updates are appreciated. Happy Holidays POLE!!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:13 PM »
well still no reports on the big water. I know the water was still warm a couple weeks backs for this time of year. Thats because ofsuch a warm summer. Well everyone keep in touch and I guess if you have a Erie report post it. If not I will report back after the holidays.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Hey Pole_Smoker no reports from my contacts up at PIB either. All quiet for right now. I know as soon as there is fishable ice we will be there ,I'm sure of that!!!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2005, 04:14 PM »
I'm gonna try a spot on Erie Friday afternoon up to the north a bit.  If it's good and we get anything I'll let you guys know.  Have heard some good reports but I gotta see for myself before I start running my mouth.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline bucknuts33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Swantucky, Good friend was going today. Popular winter locale.I'll let ya know.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2005, 11:10 PM »
Looks like we are gonna be screwed till at least the next cold-shot which I did not see in the 7 day forecast.  Well at least I've still got deer tags left.

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:25 PM »
well wojo thanks for the update. My buddy will be back on the island on the 10th of January. I am saving my money and not making the long distance call. I know what we are looking at on erie the past week.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hey pole_smoker. I talked to my friend with the airboat yesterday when We where up at Catawba. He is ready Just waiting for the first large enough piece of ice that will support the airboat along with some guys and he is there. But on the other note we did say if it doesn't happen it will be time to get some boats out.  There was some ice in the marina where I'm at BUT ??? I had the spud bar but it didn't look like it was even worth trying to check it out ???

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Well here I am just surfing the ice fishing  pages to see what we talked about last January ! well can't wait till we get some hard water. Caught some many eye's this summer out of the boat. When we get the ice it out to be Outstanding !!

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2006, 12:23 PM »
After basicly no ice on Erie last year and a short season 2 years ago we are due this year!  I hope the ice on Erie comes early and stays late.

I've only gotten out on Erie twice this summer but still have enough eyes from the river in the freezer to tide me over.

Offline backagainbaha

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 29, 2006, 11:59 AM »
I know its early and I still have the boat in but when I tell you I am ready- I mean it I am ready. I cannot wait until ice fishing season again. I hope the ice stays around a bit longer this year. :)

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 18, 2006, 05:15 AM »
Yep same here. Still have the Sportcraft in the water. Still wanting to get to go east for some hog eye's ?? Just need some nice stable weather for a few days.
Other than that  can wait to get some good ice on Erie. Really need it bad !!! 
I suppose I'll go thru all the ice fishing stuff soon to see what I need to buy ??? Can never have enough Lures ?

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2006, 07:54 PM »
i'm workin on a sled.hoping to fish the big pond this year.keep us posted on ice conditions. thanks blue mule

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:43 PM »
Hope it doesn't go like last year, cold early and no ice for all year. Just nice cold weather would be nice around dec 4th and after. That way hopefully I have a deer with the bow another with the gun and ice is waiting for me.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Okay Lets see now ? We had Swantucky,Blue Mule, Pole_smoker and Myself check the site ? All we need now is Gator-Bait ??  Tom Have you talked to him ?? Last time I talked to him was back Late July Early August !

Offline muggs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Well, from what I've heard, its supposed to be a cold winter this year. ;D

If anyone is heading out on Erie, I'd like to join them.  I'll buy the bait and the beer...or just the bait for the non-drinkers.

I'm starting to get the fever.

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2006, 07:36 PM »
I would also love to hit Erie this year , but she's gonna have to be frozen pretty solid for me to go out , Pray to the ice gods .
                                    John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.