The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Your thoughts on Marcum LX7  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Tom69

• IceShanty Rookie
Your thoughts on Marcum LX7
« on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:08 AM »
Just curious about the Marcum Lx7.  Any of you use it and what are your thoughts on it.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Your thoughts on Marcum LX7
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I just got mine this year, haven't had it on the ice yet but I will Friday. Ill touch base with you after.
From what I have read on the unit, it doesn't get much better. The screen is awesome and large, the power it puts out is amazing, and so far their CS has been pretty good.
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline Tom69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Thanks,  I will be looking forward to your report.

Offline GVSUgeorged

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2013, 08:28 AM »
My buddy used his for the first time last year and it's awesome! The one thing he doesn't like about it is the size. We hole hop slot and while it can be done, lugging the 7 from hole to hole is kinda a pain. But it's a great machine with a ton of features! LCD screen is sweet unless you got full sunshine.  All in all is it worth the money Idk...but if you got the extra money spend it!
Fish Long, Fish Hard.  Sleep. AND DO IT AGAIN!

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2013, 10:13 AM »
i bought mine last year. i really like it. Yeah, the carrying slot in back is not most versitle.but when you unit is open, there is a strap that goes over the top of the screen, so you can just grap that, which works good.  Mine is tight, but more i use it, its loosening up some.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Wish I could come back here with a positive report but things didn't go well with the marcum. I already sent it back for a bad PL board this year. Apparently the issue wasn't that.  The unit would not display the water temp, froze twice, and sensitivity had to be in the mid 20's to even see my jig on the screen. I'm pissed to say the least. Marcum better make this right!!

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Fire,

I do believe you need to have an open water transducer for that to work

Tom

there are a great unit, i know the first time i used my i was going to sell it, ended up trying some different settings and  really liked it

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Awesome unit!   I love mine.   So versatile.   I have a Vex that I never use anymore since getting the LX7.  Just keep the Vex as a backup

Offline Bucketfiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:23 AM »
I bought one brand new last year. Did not work at all. I sent it back for another one. This one works great and no problems yet.

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2013, 11:03 AM »
Bucketfiller, did they tell you what was wrong with it

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:36 AM »
I just got off the phone with Marcum and they want me to send it in AGAIN for testing. Said something sounds wrong. The only complaint I have at this point is the fact that I have to go with out my $700 purchase for another week. They have spent more time with it than what I have!!!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:51 AM »
I just got off the phone with Marcum and they want me to send it in AGAIN for testing. Said something sounds wrong. The only complaint I have at this point is the fact that I have to go with out my $700 purchase for another week. They have spent more time with it than what I have!!!

i'm hearing no so good reports as of late including yours
i would at least want some compensation for all the wasted time trying to get a working version that stays working for at least part of a season
a thread on general chit chat has started about these having issues too. not seeing jigs any more, bad main boards needing replaced
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=267173.0

thats why i haven't bought one yet because i wanted to read field reports, but some can't make to the field at all
sorry about all your troubles with it and thanks for the reports
it must be tough

they should cross ship a loaner out pre-paid round trip.
actually they should replace it w/out questioning it

Offline Tom69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Thanks guys for all the input.  I guess that the problems aren't any different than the occasional car that is a lemon.  Of course the one with the problems don't think that way.  All in all it sounds like Marcum customer service is first rate.  They at least tell you something and offer to look and fix.
Thanks again

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:41 AM »
they should cross ship a loaner out pre-paid round trip.
actually they should replace it w/out questioning it

That's what I was hoping for, with my vx-1 pro they sent me a new unit and a return label for the defective one, but that was 4 years ago. To be honest this is my 3rd Marcum, every one I have owned has had to go back for some reason or another in the 1st month of owning it. But when their products work they are top of the line!

Offline Taco

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Givem the beans!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Never had to send my vex in.
That would piss me off and I wouldn't be using a marcum anymore.

Offline squidly454

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the lines are tight, the outlook is bright.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:18 PM »
My brief experience with Marcum is that their customer service is pretty good, but their quality control is not.   My VX-1p I got last January was DOA and they replaced the power jack on the back of the unit after they made me send it in.   I put my multi-meter to it and determined the cable was good before I sent it in.  It was clear to me that it didn't break in transit, it didn't work when it left their manufacturing facility. 
The grease doesn't discriminate - W.W. Smith

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Love my vex for 400.00 less.I don't doubt marcums are top of line but how much technology do you need for ice fishing?I just want to know where the fish are.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.