Author Topic: Ice around columbus  (Read 5118 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice around columbus
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Does anyone have any info on ice thickness?  Never fished maple creek but looking to explore this year.   If anyone has any good help out on where to fish that would be appreciated.  Looks great but with kids it can get difficult to move around a lot.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice around columbus
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I checked the hospital lake in Columbus Saturday morning and it had two to three inches where I checked just to the east of the handicap pier.   That area was open water on Thursday.   Since it is smaller and shallower than Maple Creek I decided to wait till later in the week to check it out. 

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I also checked the hospital pond on saturday afternoon, must have been your tracks in the snow tech.   I had just over 3" at around 3pm.   I plan on checking Maple Creek tomorrow, and hopefully fishing it on wednesday.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:38 AM »
Post a report if you get up that way Monday.  If you're working up in that corner of the county I don't suppose you will be able to check ice thickness.  Maybe I'll see you out there Wednesday I hope to be out there also.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:46 AM »
For sure, stop on over.  I'll be in the blue clam with the Prochaska sign.

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Fished the hospital lake this morning. Found some crappies mostly dinks caught a bass and a bunch of gills. I walked a loop across the pond with my spud bar seemed safe but don't take my word
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Anyone been to lake north?   Never hard water fished it or basically any other local lakes.  Been to Stanton a handful of times. 

Offline fishhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:24 PM »
I haven't fished it this winter but did notice there was a shack out there today. No idea on ice thickness. I will Probly fish it this weekend and see if the crappie bite is back to what it was a cpl years ago when it was hot

Offline fishhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2013, 07:31 PM »
If your looking for a good place to catch fish with good ice, Iv been catching tons of trout at Pawnee park the west lake in the cove. Iv been letting them all go but you could very easily catch a limit. Ice thickness is 5 inches back in the cove where it didn't thaw from the heat and wind, and a little closer to that aerator it was a little under 4 inches of new clear ice

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Anyone been to lake north?   Never hard water fished it or basically any other local lakes.  Been to Stanton a handful of times.

I haven't been up that way yet. Within the next couple days. Lake North seems to always freeze really hard. Good night bite last year I could catch 10 catfish easily any givin night on tip-ups rigged with minnows.
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:43 AM »
As of yesterday heard Lake North had 5 inches plan on heading out tomorrow there or Maple Creek either way hopefully have some good updates! Good luck to all.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Heading to maple creek around 1230 or 0100.  If you see the blue clam stop on by

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.   Friday and Saturday I'm looking to try maple creek and maybe lake north the other.   

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Got out today with one of my coworkers, also got to meet 77tech.  Ventured out on Maple Creek only to find 8-9" of ice in most spots.  The areas that were open 5-7 days ago had less....  Thinnest we had was 5, and that was near the points of the rock jetties they have (slight current maybe?).  Fishing was slow, picked up one bass on a tip-up 13-14", a few decent gills on waxies, four 6-8" walleye on waxies, and my coworker hooked up with a 16" walleye right before we left (we released it, we didn't feel like cleaning one fish).  Heading out again tomorrow around noon...

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2013, 11:35 PM »
Nice to meet you Kyler maybe I'll see you out there again tomorrow.  I will echo the fishing was slow picked up and released one bluegill and missed a couple. 

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 AM »
nice to meet you too tech, be out around the same time tomorrow, hope to see you there!

Offline fishhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Made it out to lake north for a couple hours tonight. The ice is 8inches. Marked a lot of schools of baitfish but fishing wasn't that great one small walleye and one small crappie

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Where's everyone going this weekend and hopefully the freezing rain stays away?    Good luck and be safe!

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2013, 04:06 PM »
Anybody get out today?

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »
I made it out to maple creek today.  Fishing was very slow to be nice.  Only good part of day was able to talk to many other fisherman and a few other  shanty members. 

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Spikes,
It was nice to meet you also, hopefully today will be a better fishing day. We'll see you on the hardwater again, Andy

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Highs in the upper 40's for the next three days, I hope our ice up there lasts.  I want to try and get out either tuesday or wednesday evening for some eyes.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2013, 07:12 PM »
With the warm weather and nights getting back to 20's how will the ice hold up?   Not sure at what rate ice melts based off temp

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Always use caution but the days are short and the nights are long. This will help. Plus the sun is low in the sky so it doesn't have the heating power on the ice. It will melt the snow off and make for really slick ice though.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Anyone been fishing lake north?

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I saw a couple shacks in the northwest corner yesterday, and one truck parked there today... never stopped to ask how the fishing was or the ice. 

Offline fishhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2013, 12:43 PM »
I have fished lake north 3 times In the last week with little to no luck. All I mark is schools of schad. One other guy fishing there Sunday caught a few catfish and a northern. The shoreline ice is about melted and won't support any weight but once ur on the good ice it's about 8-9inches

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I was wondering on the ice conditions.   The next week the edges on a bunch of these lakes might be tough to get out on.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Went out on Maple Creek this afternoon for a couple hours.  Ice is solid, I had 10" and its clear.  Looks like the weather has merely melted the snow on top.  Fishing was good too, picked up 3 keeper gills 7" or so, along with about a dozen and a half smaller ones.  One small bass, and 1-2 dozen 6-9" walleye.... Also picked up two keeper walleye, 17.75" and 17.5".  Both came on my deadstick rod tipped with a minnow.  Im one happy camper, and my tummy is full of fish :)  would have stayed longer but I didn't want to be tempted to keep more than I need to.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2013, 07:48 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.