Author Topic: Ice around columbus  (Read 5119 times)

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice around columbus
« Reply #30 on: Dec 17, 2013, 08:19 PM »
Nice eyes.   Can't wait to get back out.

Offline Bmozer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2013, 09:29 PM »
Nice fish Kyler! Its great to see the fish growing so well.

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Nice walleyes! If Maple Creek wasn't on people's list of lakes to fish this winter, it sure is now.
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:14 AM »
As long as they follow the regs and don't take more than they can eat, I'm ok with it.  Everyone who wants to catch fish should be able to.

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2013, 06:33 AM »
Nice catch man them look mighty tasty!

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:11 PM »
How has the ice been holding up at Maple Creek with this heat? Safe to fish this weekend?
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2013, 04:17 PM »
had 10" yesterday and it was solid

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2013, 11:22 PM »
I got off the ice at about 7PM today.  I showed a high of 53 degrees today and the first couple of inches of ice was pretty soft but then you got into solid ice.  I chipped a hole with my spud hooked it on the bottom of the ice and then pulled it out and measured it at between 8 and 9 inches.  When I got off the ice the  first couple of inches was already hardening up. 

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Got out on the Columbus Hospital Pond today after worrk, and into the evening.  Picked up my first two catfish through the ice, one maybe went a pound, the other was a dink, plenty of dink gills, but around sundown I was able to pick up some decent crappie.  largest went 13", the others were between 10-12"... kept 5 total.  There was talk this summer that they will possibly kill the lake off due to a high number of carp... anyone heard the same?  Ice was between 7-9"... kinda disappointed that the deepest water I could find was 8'.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Oh, another thing, and I found this kind of odd.... My finder was showing the water temp at the hospital pond to be 42 degrees.... seems a bit high, maple creek has consistently been between 35-37 degrees....

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Oh, another thing, and I found this kind of odd.... My finder was showing the water temp at the hospital pond to be 42 degrees.... seems a bit high, maple creek has consistently been between 35-37 degrees....

How deep, where on the pond?

I have been fooling around with a digital thermometer with a long lead under the ice for several years now.  I can tell you that the temp. ain't always what you think it would be, especially on early and late ice. ;)

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Hey Kyler My brother n I only caught a few dink gills n one small cat the other day we talked to ya n today both my brothers went to the south lake n only caught 4 small cats like I said I need a flasher to get on em!

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Daryl, I was sitting in 8 fow, and my transducer was about 10" below the ice.  Can't complain about the fishing though, and the ice was talkin!  Havoc, you and me both... I try to make due with my cheapo finder, but a flasher would be nice.  wish I could swing it right now budget wise.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Just wanted to give out a warning to anyone thinking about fishing lake north today.... Looks like they raised the level of lake Babcock, there was open water on the outlet by the bridge.  The two lakes are connected, and lake north's level will fluctuate.  Use caution!

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Anybody having any luck at lake north or Maple creek? Got one more day to fish until my first child arrives n want to get on some fish any tips greatly appreciated thanks!

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Made it out on Maple creek today for about 5 hours.  Had a foot of ice, top was soft, and had an inch of water on the surface in some spots.  Fishing was good, picked up quite a few 6-8" bluegill, a few small bass, and lost a really nice walleye at the hole.... didn't feel like cleaning fish so I threw everything back down the hole.   

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 28, 2013, 03:18 PM »
How has the fishing been?   Every where I've been it has been slow. 

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 28, 2013, 06:56 PM »
How has the fishing been?   Every where I've been it has been slow.
ik its not by Columbus but I SLAUGHTERED big gills and crappie today
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bmozer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I was out until the wind kicked me off today. Stayed in one spot, and only had luck on 6-8" gills. Couldn't find any other species, but there were people showing up as I was leaving, so I'm guessing they were after the walleye bite.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Anyone have plans to be out New Year's Day?   I'm trying to determine where to go I guess it depends on the night.

Offline Havoc67x

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Hey spikes seen your from Duncan do you live on Duncan lakes?

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2013, 09:23 PM »
I was thinking about New Years Day but I have to work at least part of the day so probably won't make it out.  Was out Sunday and had a steady BG bite.  Went out again Monday drilled some holes marked fish just got setup and the wind came up gusting to about 40.  Continued to mark fish but just couldn't get anything to commit.  Wanted to try moving but with the wind I decided it was to much of a hassle and I called it a day.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:04 AM »
No, I live in town.    Don't hear many people talk about fishing Duncan lakes.  I fish a few of the private lakes in Columbus.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.