Author Topic: Throwdown!!!  (Read 12853 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Throwdown!!!
« on: Nov 04, 2013, 05:41 PM »
OK.... pickin' up where we left off Friday nite.

I have flapped my gums and challenged the preeminent master chef, Rebelss, to a culinary contest. Since I have thrown the gauntlet, he has the privilege of the choice of weapons. This will be interesting (and probably educational). I have no idea how this will work (long distance) but we'll work that out.

Just to be clear, I DON"T cook for a living, I am a process improvement resource for production bakeries. I just like to eat good food.

You make the rules and I'll play. Let's dance............. ;D

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Throwdown!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:02 PM »
There can be no losers in this!! By that I mean that everyone will be a winner because of the recipes and knowledge that will come out of this!  I had absolutely no idea that my two words--FOOD FIGHT-- would lead to this!! :o But the gauntlet has been thrown and the band aids bought, so let it begin!! :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Sheeesh....... I just ordered an EC in line but I'm good for at least a second reel this year. Might have out check out the combo..... I like your culinary contributions and on that basis I can trust everything else.

As far as "your kitchen"...... you may have met your match. ;) Or I may have met mine.......... ;D Throwdown in the making???

/mike

Gee, I was sure I had the first words................. . Thanks for the correction. Your two words just made me want to throw tomatoes and pies....... ;D

/m

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Photon torpedoes at the ready! Mr. Scott, give me all you got..................

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:37 PM »
Trouble not yer noggin, Mr. OS, I must award and credit the Throwdown idea to Mr. Esox, as evidenced by his post, and by my acceptance:

"have out check out the combo..... I like your culinary contributions and on that basis I can trust everything else.

As far as "your kitchen"...... you may have met your match. ;) Or I may have met mine.......... ;D Throwdown in the making???

/mike

Why, thank you, Sir!!!  Say, that sounds like an excellent idea!!!! You're gonna make me dig through my volumes of hand-written recipes, aren't ya??  :roflmao: :roflmao:

So, without further ado, may I make these suggestions, dependent upon Mr. Esox's agreement and further advice/acceptance:

1. We will submit ONE ORIGINAL recipe, as developed by ourselves, for perusal in the culinary arts. It must have an original name created by myself and Mr. Esox. It MUST be an original recipe created by each of us.

2. All natural ingredients must be used in said preperation of the dish; with the exception of bottled spices (NO premixes) and any liquid "spice".

3. Recipe must be able to be made by any "average Joe" on the IS site; no unobtainable ingredients or difficult preparations. I too, must also admit I am not a professional chef; my area was Law Enforcement/Security Field. I simply like to cook good food and share recipes.

4. Judges will be determined by IS members in whatever fashion they deem necessary; a poll will then be taken to declare a winner.

5. All results are final and are for the culinary enjoyment of all IS members. We do this in good faith for fun and enjoyment for all.

Mr. Esox, the floor is now yours for approval/any additons you deem necessary....

Reb
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Gentlemen, I stand corrected!!  ::) You two ready?? Let the fun begin!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Gentlemen, I stand corrected!!  ::) You two ready?? Let the fun begin!! :thumbsup:

I didn't want you to get caught in the cross-flames, just in case.  :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao:

We eagerly await input from Mr. Esox.  :whistle:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:27 PM »
I accept the guidelines..........BT W, how did I get to be "Mr."?

Just to be clear on the "bottled spices" restriction, we're talking like Frank's or Italian dressing, yes? What about beer, wine or other alcoholic "flavorings"? Don't really care too much, just don't want to get DQ'd before I get out of the gate.

As for judges, that will be interesting since we can't personally prepare our respective dishes. Judges will have to be willing to prepare both dishes/variations and sample objectively, hence the "Average Joe" requirement for the recipes. I would suggest an odd numbered pool of judges, that providing a built in tie breaker. Of course, I'd like a "bakers dozen" but what ever the community will bear I'll abide by.

I could get more verbose but it's MNF and the Packers are playing............. Y'all make the rules and I'll give 'er.............

Time to play!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:02 AM »
this is going to be good maybe as good as last years gravil pit thread

2X I'll be following this one for sure.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Perhaps we could get the Moderators involved and have them set up a voting board like the pictures contest?
Looking forward to .....THE THROWDOWN!! Get your pots and pans ready boys!! :clap: :thumbsup: :bow: :cookoo: :icefish:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2013, 10:21 AM »
I didn't want you to get caught in the cross-flames, just in case.  :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao:

We eagerly await input from Mr. Esox.  :whistle:
Thanks for saving my bacon!!! :roflmao: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2013, 01:49 PM »

this sounds like something to watch ,

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2013, 02:03 PM »

this sounds like something to watched ,
filet, ya might need a bigger bag! I think this thread has the potential for some ,er , um, interesting 'discussion', eh.  ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2013, 02:16 PM »
And ya danged well better have a good chair with a seat belt, because this is gonna separate the men from the wanna-be's.   :flex:

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Better slow down there now Reb, don't wanna see you pull a hammy, or something.  ;D

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Better slow down there now Reb, don't wanna see you pull a hammy, or something.  ;D
Mmmmmmmm...... HAM!!!! Yummmmm....There's something for the throwdown!!! What  do you think ladies and gentlemen?? (For the most part anyway!) Ham on the menu?? :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle:

Offline jcindiana

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:39 PM »
this is going to be fun ;D ;D ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Glad I bough a fresh supply of

I'll take on the supposed winner ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:16 PM »
esox_xtm question:

Just to be clear on the "bottled spices" restriction, we're talking like Frank's or Italian dressing, yes? What about beer, wine or other alcoholic "flavorings"? Don't really care too much, just don't want to get DQ'd before I get out of the gate.

I suggest we allow "bottled spices" to mean a "straight" spice, such as Paprika, smoked pepper flakes, black pepper, etc. No blends such as "Bouncing Bob's Butt Rub", "Sammy's Super Dooper Seasoning",etc. Liquid condiments such as Tabasco, Worcestireshire, OK. Only "substitutes" for Fresh items allowed would be things like plain tomato sauce, paste, canned peppers, etc. We want to be user friendly, yet have some set ground rules.
Alcoholic flavorings OK by me.

Judges will follow recipe explicitly, NO substituting!!! Now, to find some judges.... ::)

Sound good, Esox???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:33 PM »
Glad I bough a fresh supply of
(Image removed from quote.)

I'll take on the supposed winner ;D

RG

Are you into it already, RG? You forgot the "T" in bought.  ;)

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:22 PM »
RG, when you're done banging on the Drum......pass it along so we can give er a couple whacks!!   ;D

The suspense is beginning to climb.......
The chefs are fine tuning their game plan......
Who will be the first to get ......THROWNDOWN!!! ......DOH!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I think Esox is still in shock after those nasty Bears beat his Packers.... we may have to drag him out to the kitchen...;)2

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Thanks for saving my bacon!!! :roflmao: :thumbsup: ;)2 :whistle:

Yeah, thanks! I'll probably use it in my recipe........... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

/m

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I think Esox is still in shock after those nasty Bears beat his Packers.... we may have to drag him out to the kitchen...;)2

Oh yeah, I'm back. Nasty long day at work and more in store. Didn't get home till almost 6, went in @ 6....... A couple martinis and some taco salad (YES, I made it) and I'm all better. The game was disappointing but you won't have to drag me into the kitchen, just OUT of it!

/m

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:46 PM »
OK!!! Let's get to it!!!  Say, can I borrow some of  that "HAM" you were gonna use? Found a good use for it..... :whistle:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:49 PM »
esox_xtm question:

I suggest we allow "bottled spices" to mean a "straight" spice, such as Paprika, smoked pepper flakes, black pepper, etc. No blends such as "Bouncing Bob's Butt Rub", "Sammy's Super Dooper Seasoning",etc. Liquid condiments such as Tabasco, Worcestireshire, OK. Only "substitutes" for Fresh items allowed would be things like plain tomato sauce, paste, canned peppers, etc. We want to be user friendly, yet have some set ground rules.
Alcoholic flavorings OK by me.

Judges will follow recipe explicitly, NO substituting!!! Now, to find some judges.... ::)

Sound good, Esox???

OK, first........nice to see RG rear his countenance. I actually made your gravlax last year, very tasty. Enjoyed the rest of your contributions as well........

Rebelss.... I'm good with the ground rules. I don't use much by way of canned, boxed or processed stuff. Any spice "blends" I use I make myself and can share the ingredients. Except for Old Bay, I like Old Bay.......what about that? Ah, I can work my way around that too if I have to. Pretty common stuff for the most part. As far as the rest, commonly available products like Frank's, Tabasco, Worcestershire, general salad dressings etc. are all OK.

Bouncing Bob's Butt Rub? You can buy that? Wait.......I don't wanna know. We had a supervisor we once called "Bouncing Bob". He is now a Regional VP............ Do you suppose the Butt Rub :unsure:............... Ahhhh, never mind.

I can abide your stipulations. All we got to do is figure out the judging situation. I'll trust anyone that wants to step up. We should probably set a loose set of criteria and post it up for prospects. Should we limit the pool? Looks like this might become a standard here, what with RG waving his dance card. We can set the standard by which all pother will follow.

And yes, I appreciate the privilege IS..........  :bow:

Dialin' it in!

/m

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Sounds highly salivating to me, Esox.  I agree, let's get the "Here comes da Judge" underway, I think I can see RG dancing from one foot to the other, and I don't want him to trip over his footstool, as I have enjoyed some of his great recipes, too.  So, let's have some volunteers/appointees who would be willing to undertake the arduous task of assembling and producing the recipes....hands please!!  :woot:

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I'll dip a toe in the judging pool, as long as we're not talking Foie Gras, Truffles, Duck Confit, etc, if that's acceptable to both.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:24 PM »
I'll dip a toe in the judging pool, as long as we're not talking Foie Gras, Truffles, Duck Confit, etc, if that's acceptable to both.

Sorry, I think you've already been designated as "pork".  ;) Seriously, you can be first, despite your apparent bias. I know I'm fighting uphill here.

You're kinda picky though; Foie Gras? just this side of braunschweiger, Truffles? just another mushroom, and the Confit? an interesting ingredient. Foie Gras on rye with some stone ground mustard, Swiss cheese and a nice slice of red onion.............. and a cold beer  Wait! A nice hot pizza with Canadian bacon and truffles........ The Duck Confit? I'm saving that one. What wrong with those? That and you spelled everyone correctly.... Reb, we got an Iron Chef for a judge here??? ::)

Take a chair, Jiggy and remember, I'm trusting you to be fair.......... ;D

/m

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:48 PM »
An excellent volunteer for a Judge!!! Even if he IS from the UP, eh.....Just kidding!!! Spent a VERY nice week there... >:D ;)2  Say!! On a side note, I don't want ANYONE knocking Braunschwieger!!!
I enjoyed two slabs on med rye with some onion slices for lunch today! Well Jiggy, you can go to work tomorrow and proclaim you're a top-dog judge presiding over a site with 49,000 people who will be hanging onto your every word as you sample and post the forthcoming results of the delectables.  Esox, may I suggest that Mr. Jigster now round-up some more culinary masticaters (yes, that's an OK word folks) as we have an ardous upcoming contest to get prepped for.....Take it away, Jiggy!!!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.