Author Topic: Well, I did it again....  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Well, I did it again....
« on: Nov 01, 2013, 03:00 PM »
What I said I wouldn't do this year....bought another reel.  ::) I had picked up a pair of Kamik Prospect's earlier this week, as I needed a lighter boot to walk in than my old concrete-block Rangers.
NOW the Kamik's go on sale...so out to Fleet Farm where they returned $21 on the sale price. Gotta like Fleet Farm! Anyway, wandered into the fishing section to talk with my long-time buddy, and started discussing the "new" in line reels, which make sense to me, except for the price of some. They had all the popular new ones, Black Betty's, Eagle Claw's, etc. Really getting the ice gear out. I ended up looking at, and ultimately buying, a Frabill Straight Line 101 XLA combo. I know some complaints were out there about this reel last year, (I think it was this reel) as the "foot" was too short, couldn't get your fingers under it. Now, it comes with a longer, slightly angled foot that you can use in place of the standard one, just remove two Phillips screws and slide new "foot' in place.
The rod is fairly decent with a nice cork handle, Fuji guides, and hook ring. Drag on mine is smooth and positive, and reel is quite smooth....all for $29. I see they are $39 at two other sporting goods stores. I think these might go fast, he had only six in stock, and that was it. Seems not bad for a combo...which is usually NOT the way to go for quality. Took me a while to figure out how the heck to attach the line to spool, but it was so easy I overlooked the obvious. Duh. We'll see how I like it. I sometimes get tired of bail-flipping on my spinning reels with the numerous little bites, and the line twist. Hopefully, this will alleviate that.   :)
Anyone have one of these that likes it?
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Well, I did it again....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2013, 03:03 PM »
Nice review Reb. Good price, too and Frabill quality.

Enjoy.    ;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Did you get kicked out of the kitchen? LOL   Need a white sauce recipe Rebels

All my kitchen!!! No one here but me!!!! PM me if ya really want a good white sauce recipe... ;)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2013, 04:54 PM »
 :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Best of luck with the 101 Reb! Bought one last year and really like it, suits my needs just fine, and it's affordable! Nice job on the review.....I won't bother asking for the white sauce recipe!  ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Thanks, Eddie!!! I think I'll like it, doesn't need to be fancy to work for me, just sensible and made well. Can't wait to give it a try!!!  ;D

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Looked at those reels at Sheels in Fargo and am just not sure about them yet.Didn't bite the bullet yet.Need to look them over longer,had one in my hands that I couldn't lock the reel so as to set the hook.I"m sure I was over looking something cause i'm sure they all have to lock as you would closing the bail.Can't remember which one it was but had the Frabill 101 in my hands and was so hard to put back down.I'm still catching fish with my spinning reels so I thought not.Heard so much already about the line twisting thing that that has got me thinking I guess.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Sheeesh....... I just ordered an EC in line but I'm good for at least a second reel this year. Might have out check out the combo..... I like your culinary contributions and on that basis I can trust everything else.

As far as "your kitchen"...... you may have met your match. ;) Or I may have met mine.......... ;D Throwdown in the making???

/mike
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Sheeesh....... I just ordered an EC in line but I'm good for at least a second reel this year. Might have out check out the combo..... I like your culinary contributions and on that basis I can trust everything else.

As far as "your kitchen"...... you may have met your match. ;) Or I may have met mine.......... ;D Throwdown in the making???

/mike

Why, thank you, Sir!!!  Say, that sounds like an excellent idea!!!! You're gonna make me dig through my volumes of hand-written recipes, aren't ya??  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Ya might like that little combo, I'm pretty picky about how things are made, as I prefer to make things myself...the parts, etc. Lotsa background in that. For the price, it's a nice, simple little reel, appears and functions well, and the rod...well, it's like most of them below $50-60, the branded import made in you-know-where.   ::)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Why, thank you, Sir!!!  Say, that sounds like an excellent idea!!!! You're gonna make me dig through my volumes of hand-written recipes, aren't ya??  :roflmao: :roflmao:
Ya might like that little combo, I'm pretty picky about how things are made, as I prefer to make things myself...the parts, etc. Lotsa background in that. For the price, it's a nice, simple little reel, appears and functions well, and the rod...well, it's like most of them below $50-60, the branded import made in you-know-where.   ::)
FOOD FIGHT!!!! :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :callcops:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Why, thank you, Sir!!!  Say, that sounds like an excellent idea!!!! You're gonna make me dig through my volumes of hand-written recipes, aren't ya??  :roflmao:

I've thrown the gauntlet, the choice of weapons is yours...............

I figure A.) I can't lose and B.) IS will benefit because you'll have to share you're best........... ;) Either way it's a win for me!

Or are we just going to throw tomatoes and pies at each other to satisfy the OS?  ;D

/m

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Aha!!! But, rule #1 is of your Figure "A" is never underestimate the opponent; and B. IS will beg us for more, keeping us stuck in the kitchen, while OS will badger and wheedle us to be made head tasting judge.   :P :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Now I haveta figger out what category we will assault....how about a decison on Monday? Acceptable? What say you, Sir?   ;)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I've thrown the gauntlet, the choice of weapons is yours...............

I figure A.) I can't lose and B.) IS will benefit because you'll have to share you're best........... ;) Either way it's a win for me!

Or are we just going to throw tomatoes and pies at each other to satisfy the OS?  ;D

/m
Depends what kind of pies!! You might just toss some my way, and let me be the judge!!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Aha!!! But, rule #1 is of your Figure "A" is never underestimate the opponent; and B. IS will beg us for more, keeping us stuck in the kitchen, while OS will badger and wheedle us to be made head tasting judge.  :pinch: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Now I haveta figger out what category we will assault....how about a decison on Monday? Acceptable? What say you, Sir?   ;)

Hmm, head tasting judge, well now I've been in on the cleaning, shaving, sorting, chopping, seasoning, squeezing and watching head-cheese drip dry to the point of grossness ad nauseam. I feel highly qualified.     :sick: :roflmao: >:D

I can pull a souse pie from the freezer, just say when......    An air drop can be arranged.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Hmmmm....I think we better move this to the CUISINE thread.....  ::) :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Hmm, are pork products allowed there ?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Who'd ya have in mind???  :woot:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:46 PM »
Aha!!! But, rule #1 is of your Figure "A" is never underestimate the opponent; and B. IS will beg us for more, keeping us stuck in the kitchen, while OS will badger and wheedle us to be made head tasting judge.   :P :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ah, my dear Rebel, you misunderstand, I really can't lose because I hope to extract some of your best (not that you haven't shown a great deal already) and by my account a day smarter is never a waste. As far as the IS clamor? I'll bet we got enough between us to keep 'em on the edge of their collective seats for the entire season and probably then some. Heck, you've done that on your own for years........

OS as head tasting judge? C'mon man....... I may as well throw in the apron now. After all, you're the revered resident maestro and just the "new guy". Besides, OS will do what he can to trash anything Wisconsin because, face it, Minnesota is just this side of Michigan........... ;)

Seriously, this will be good clean fun. Whatever you decide I'll play along, you're the sheriff........ Monday's fine and

My apologies for the hijack......... Or we could finish this here and start anew on the Cuisine.

/m

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Who'd ya have in mind???  :woot:

How's about the next poster to this thread ?   :whistle:

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Who?  ;)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Jiggy's it !      :woot: :roflmao:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:54 PM »
I agree. I/we/ have hijacked my own thread! Egads! That's a first!!!   ;)2  Monday in the Cuisine section....sharpen your Wusthof's and oil that Calphalon up....I be ready.  Salivating is just a few days away. ;D

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Umm, what have I gotten myself into?  :o  ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Well, some body must have fallen out, or split a seam, ha.  Back one page may aid in the understanding, Jiggy.  I'm hoping Reb will forgive himself fer hijackin his own thread. Tune in tomorrow.
If you can take any more.   :roflmao:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Ah, my dear Rebel, you misunderstand, I really can't lose because I hope to extract some of your best (not that you haven't shown a great deal already) and by my account a day smarter is never a waste. As far as the IS clamor? I'll bet we got enough between us to keep 'em on the edge of their collective seats for the entire season and probably then some. Heck, you've done that on your own for years........

OS as head tasting judge? C'mon man....... I may as well throw in the apron now. After all, you're the revered resident maestro and just the "new guy". Besides, OS will do what he can to trash anything Wisconsin because, face it, Minnesota is just this side of Michigan........... ;)

Seriously, this will be good clean fun. Whatever you decide I'll play along, you're the sheriff........ Monday's fine and

My apologies for the hijack......... Or we could finish this here and start anew on the Cuisine.

/m
You are in deep kimshi already!! I'm originally from Minnesnowta, but won't hold the fact that you're from Wisconsin against you!! (Not much anyway!) I think we should let all of the IS members be the collective judge of your and Reb's efforts! In that respect, we will all be the winners! And I agree that this thread should be moved to the Cuisine section!!
Take a break and start on Monday!! What the heck did I just get started? ::)

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:42 PM »
I picked up one of the 24" Frabill Straight line 101 XLA's ice combo's this morning, on sale at Fleet Farm for $24.99. The reel is nice but can't say much for their rod quality. Had to look at six or seven before I found one that had the line guides all in a straight row. Some were really off on the last couple before the tip.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Retired on Osakis: My guides were all straight and lined up, but something to check....where the rod blank goes into the cork handle, carefully wiggle the rubber "cap" away from the cork, mine had about a 1/4"- 1/3" depth void inside the handle, before the blank was into solid material. I just pumped some epoxy into it until it was level, and slid the rubber "cap" back down until it was flush. Should help keep that blank from wiggling loose or snapping there, like they do.  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.