Author Topic: BLUE TIPZ  (Read 16675 times)

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
BLUE TIPZ
« on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Went to the Blaine,Mn Icefishing show this weekend... brought home two BLUE TIPZ made by Deep Freeze  a wireless tip up alert that will be sent to my smart phone...way cool!  Finally figured out how to down load the app... it works in the house!  plus has a standard LED light for night fishing...  Cant wait to try them on some hard ice!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BLUE TIPZ
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:39 PM »
How much do they cost?

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2013, 08:55 PM »
$40 each, the two pac at the show was $75 ? special price.   I have a new apple5 ( my old iPhone 4 is in the bottom of lake sakajawea since this summer)  the app works great on it.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2013, 09:13 PM »
Thank you. Please give a review after you have used them on the ice.

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:12 AM »
man... those are awesome! ;D ;D!  Little pricey though  :o :o

Offline Superslabber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2013, 07:41 AM »
Ordered 10 today for a buddy and I.   Get a discount on ten or more 32 each. They also have a ice scoop that is neat idea. 

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Yep I wanted one of the ice scoops but flew into Mpls for a wedding and didnt have room to bring one back... will get one later this winter.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2013, 01:07 PM »
It's hard to figure out if my phone will work.  The BLE low power isn't on my phone...I don't think.  I would want to try it in store first maybe...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline chompers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2013, 02:24 AM »
Just got my 2 8in. Scoopers. Super fast shipping and built to  ast. Can't wait to try it out.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2013, 03:21 PM »
40 bucks each....wow....what happened to just watching for the flag.  I get the night fishing thing,,,,but ive seen some less expensive alternatives for sure.  I guess if you are setting them up a long ways away, or out of sight.....I guess.......

Offline Bennynine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2013, 03:51 PM »
I went on their website and looked at the list of devices it works with, they have a small list of devices they have tested and know they work and others that they think should work.  I have a galaxy s3,  its on the list of "should work",  I downloaded the app for it and my phone says "BLE not supported, blueTipz transmitter cannot be used with this device since Bluetooth Low Energy is not supported".  I don't know if its a phone setting or it just simply doesn't work with this phone?  Ive never used Bluetooth for anything and was hoping downloading the app would be an easy way to find out if my phone was compatible before I put these on my Christmas list. 

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:53 PM »
Got to try them out yesterday for the first time, furthest one was 100 ft from my clam worked great!  But had forgot my phone in car so had to walk back to get it!   

Offline Mricefish20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2013, 04:56 PM »
That's pretty cool I thought about getting some what did they cost you ?

Offline Neebles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:03 PM »
$40 each, the two pac at the show was $75 ? special price.   I have a new apple5 ( my old iPhone 4 is in the bottom of lake sakajawea since this summer)  the app works great on it.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2013, 08:52 PM »

I went on their website and looked at the list of devices it works with, they have a small list of devices they have tested and know they work and others that they think should work.  I have a galaxy s3,  its on the list of "should work",  I downloaded the app for it and my phone says "BLE not supported, blueTipz transmitter cannot be used with this device since Bluetooth Low Energy is not supported".  I don't know if its a phone setting or it just simply doesn't work with this phone?  Ive never used Bluetooth for anything and was hoping downloading the app would be an easy way to find out if my phone was compatible before I put these on my Christmas list. 

Funny...  I was just in my cellular phone place this past Sunday and we were talking about this product.   The Galaxy S3 will not support this app.  If you have an android phone, you need to have a version of at least 4.2 where the Galaxy 3 only has the 4. or 4.1.  As of now there is no upgrade to make it work.  Needless to say, I now have the S4 and plan on getting a couple of these.  I can't wait to see how they work.

Offline vtmopar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Do you need to have cell reception for them to work?
this used to be a friendly forum.........

Offline Superslabber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2013, 10:08 PM »
No just Bluetooth turned on phone.  Super simple to use

Offline Bennynine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2013, 11:23 PM »

Funny...  I was just in my cellular phone place this past Sunday and we were talking about this product.   The Galaxy S3 will not support this app.  If you have an android phone, you need to have a version of at least 4.2 where the Galaxy 3 only has the 4. or 4.1.  As of now there is no upgrade to make it work.  Needless to say, I now have the S4 and plan on getting a couple of these.  I can't wait to see how they work.

I guess since it doesn't work with my phone,  I will have to have my wife sit outside and call me when I get a flag!

Offline vtmopar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Wow,
whats next?
this used to be a friendly forum.........

Offline wptaxid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Damn!  I got super excited I almost pissed myself when I saw this until I saw that it doesn't work with the galaxy S3.  I guess I'll have to wait until next year when I upgrade my phone.  Hopefully there will be a ton of reviews by then as well.

Offline itsmeagain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I'm giving up on the "Blue Tipz" - I've got a newer motorola droid - its got all the bells and whistles and has worked with any app I have ever downloaded. "Deep Freeze Fishing" is the mfg or blue tipz and theyve told me on several occasions they were working on solving it. No resolution. Here is my Blue Tipz reviews - save your money.

Offline EngineerBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2013, 01:19 PM »
itsmeagain, I'm sorry you are disappointed with BlueTipz. We tested on at least 10 different devices before releasing it, and in the first month since release have had more people test on more phones than we ever could have tried ourselves. Android is incredibly fragmented, and we're struggling to get it to work with all the phones, Android OS versions, and carriers.

The challenge is that BlueTipz uses Bluetooth Low Energy, which is very new, and which Android didn't support officially until 4.3. However, Motorola and HTC both had phones working with BLE before 4.3 and put out their own libraries for some of their devices. Many of the carriers are holding their phones back and not upgrading to 4.3, so we've had some people with phones that should work but they weren't upgraded enough by their carrier. For example, some carriers have upgraded the Samsung Galaxy S3 to 4.3, and our app works, but other carriers are still at 4.1, so the S3 doesn't work. It's incredibly frustrating for us as well as you.

Getting the Motorola, HTC, and 4.3 versions working has been a priority and we will be releasing a new update in the next couple days that will hopefully solve the problems for most phones that are capable of BLE. Please hold out for a few more days, and if it still doesn't work we'll refund your purchase.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:30 AM »
The problem I have is it is 2-4x the cost of a tip up, and it may or may not work. If you can get it to the $15 or $20 I would buy for sure.
-Tom

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Follow up after a month of using em... they work great, going to order two more...can have 4 lines in ND.  Bluetipz has been very helpful in helping this old geezer figure out how to use them also.. but I do have a Apple phone!  BTW I also bought one of their new hole scoopers also that works great.check em out.. very happy!

Offline EngineerBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:09 PM »
thomasthepikehunter, it's a valid concern, and we are offering refunds if you buy it and it won't work with your phone. We just released a new version of the Android app, which has support for a lot more phones now. We enlisted the help of some of our earliest customers who had phones we didn't to beta test it before we released it last night.

We also tried to make sure that people have the opportunity to make sure it will work with their phone before they purchase by making it part of the app. Find the app in the store and download it. The first time it runs it will give you a message saying your phone will work or your phone won't work. No cost to you to find out before you buy. And keep checking, because we keep adding support for more OS versions and manufacturers. Some phones for sure won't ever work, but if your phone has Bluetooth Low Energy, also called BT 4.0, there is a huge chance it will work now or in the very near future.

As corny13 indicated, we haven't had any complaints from iOS users. It's just Android where there are so many OS versions and phones and they don't all behave the same.

Offline itsmeagain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:13 AM »
itsmeagain, I'm sorry you are disappointed with BlueTipz. We tested on at least 10 different devices before releasing it, and in the first month since release have had more people test on more phones than we ever could have tried ourselves. Android is incredibly fragmented, and we're struggling to get it to work with all the phones, Android OS versions, and carriers.

The challenge is that BlueTipz uses Bluetooth Low Energy, which is very new, and which Android didn't support officially until 4.3. However, Motorola and HTC both had phones working with BLE before 4.3 and put out their own libraries for some of their devices. Many of the carriers are holding their phones back and not upgrading to 4.3, so we've had some people with phones that should work but they weren't upgraded enough by their carrier. For example, some carriers have upgraded the Samsung Galaxy S3 to 4.3, and our app works, but other carriers are still at 4.1, so the S3 doesn't work. It's incredibly frustrating for us as well as you.

Getting the Motorola, HTC, and 4.3 versions working has been a priority and we will be releasing a new update in the next couple days that will hopefully solve the problems for most phones that are capable of BLE. Please hold out for a few more days, and if it still doesn't work we'll refund your purchase.

++++"In A Couple Of Days" Thats pretty much exactly what you to me on November 3rd - 7 weeks ago. And you said on December 7th.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Cool sounding tech but here in NYS the DEC Encon Officer would love to write you a ticket for "Failure to be in attendence"!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:07 AM »
Will these work on an iPod touch or an iPad mini?

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:32 AM »
40 bucks each....wow....what happened to just watching for the flag.  I get the night fishing thing,,,,but ive seen some less expensive alternatives for sure.  I guess if you are setting them up a long ways away, or out of sight.....I guess.......

X2

Offline EngineerBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:23 AM »
prospector, it will work on the iPad Mini (the main device I use for testing), and it will work with the iPod Touch 5th gen.

dogfish, that's interesting. Do they allow guys to sit in their shacks and check their tipups every few minutes, or do they have to be completely visible at all times? If it's the former, then BlueTipz should be fine. If it's the latter, then that's pretty harsh. We've had conversations with the WI DNR and they have no problems with BlueTipz. You have to be within a couple hundred yards to be in range of the wireless anyway.

itsmeagain, so sorry to disappoint. We did push out a release on Dec 23rd which solved problems for a lot of phones. Please keep in mind this is the first year of the product and we only have one developer, and there are literally hundreds of variations of phones/carriers/operating systems with Android, so we are doing the best we can as fast as we can to get it working for everyone we can. The Dec 23rd release really has fixed a lot of things for most phones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.