Author Topic: Any smitty sleds this year?  (Read 32523 times)

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
Re: Any smitty sleds this year?
« Reply #90 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Thimking of re modeling mine from 2 years ago...How long did some of you make your sleds ?

I would like to make it longer so I can have the power auger on the back,cross wise....Thanks
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:00 PM »
ljc2tall  -  sweet idea and implementation !
Sportsman

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #92 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:18 AM »
Rg, do you have and issue with the Skis pivoting on the conduit?
Are you using regular conduit couplers to join it all together?

ljc, thats an awesome setup!
I stuck a teck screw in the top of the EMT clamp. It seems to be working just fine. I dragged it up down and up a nasty hill we use to access one spot with no issues. The couplings are 3/4 EMT weather tight compression About $2 each I'd guess.

I cut the EMT very close to the bend so it took a little persuasion to get them together. Next time I'll leave the bends at about 60 degrees so the tube doesn't deflect quite so much. No matter though, it works slick as WD-40 ;D

My Bride is gonna faint when she sees me hanging that power winch in the garage this spring  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Ahh, it'll give the neighbors something to chat about. Corndog, do you fly fish?

The EMT will probably out live me and the sled. If it doesn't, I'll go spend another $6  ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:38 AM »
EMT is plenty strong , I've built over 50 sleds for people using it and never had a problem.

RG,  As long as the neighbors aren't complaining of strange noises coming from your garage your good. ;D ;D
How's the ice

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #94 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:03 AM »
My Bride is gonna faint when she sees me hanging that power winch in the garage this spring  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Ahh, it'll give the neighbors something to chat about. Corndog, do you fly fish?

Why yes I do! And if you get the lift powered, you better post a video..
It is what it is....

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:34 PM »
PM sent ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #96 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Here is the finished drop down smitty. I put braces on the leg stops to eliminate lateral movement.

Offline pa ice swimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Tek screw ? what size? 3/4 or 1/2 ? you know your gonna get asked  ;D

Offline unklechuckles19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:51 PM »
That collapsable Smitty is awesome.  I'm getting ready to build a smitty for my Trekker DLX and I might have to try something like that.  I like the idea of now having to lift the heavy 2 man on and off the frame when I'm ready to set up shop and still have my canvass go all the way to the ground. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #99 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:55 PM »
# 8 x 3/4 I think. I use a lot of them at work. There's only a thousand ways to build one ;D

Thanks Smitty!
RG

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 22, 2014, 08:37 PM »
@ ljc2tall, Very Innovative! I like it!

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I finally figured out how to post pics!  Here's the one I built this year.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Finished my sled today.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Lets try them out on Oneida this weekend ljc2tall!! 

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #104 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:35 AM »
email me , I am ready

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #105 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Great job boys.....I love them! Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline toddhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Close to completion, using dove tail joint (sloppy).

Offline tankdelivers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I'm an electrician....gotta go with what you know ;D

I like the price too.  About $20 with the skis.

RG
I am digging that sled man.  Did you bend the metal yourself?

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #108 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:43 PM »
I finally figured out how to post pics!  Here's the one I built this year.

I wondered where the hell my ski's went....Know I know...Please take good care of them.....You can return them when your done with them...

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:50 PM »
LOL mrjohnny!! 

Offline Fishy167

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Thanks for the idea Smitty, it work out great!

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Fishy, that looks great! A sleek "racing Smitty"?

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Thankyou Fishy......yours does look pretty sleek and fast......hope it works great for ya. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline toddhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Success! Dovetail Smitty worked like a charm. Glided over the snow effortlessly. Thanks to Smitty and everyone else. Thanks also to the manager of Viking Ski Shop in Glenview IL for his support. I said I needed old skis for a project. His only question: "What size?" After he came back with exactly what I wanted (downhills, about 5'), I told him the details and he asked for pictures when complete. I spent nothing for the skis, and about $15 for the bungees, rope and hooks. Sweet. I used some deck screws I had around, and some furniture wax for the skis. Now I'm going to paint, using colors to code the connections. I'm going to recommend one for everyone in my club. Couple of tips:  I used both hook bolts and one eye bolt. The hooks are easier to use with the bungee. The dovetails were a little tricky to fit properly but work fine so far. The countersinking was also harder to get right than with wood. Finished in 2 evenings.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #114 on: Jan 27, 2014, 02:05 PM »
I built mine last year, but didn't get a chance to really try it out until last weekend.  Thanks Smitty for sharing your ideas, and to everyone else that has added to it along the way!

Offline slabhappy56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for people who don't FISH.
« Reply #115 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Hello everyone..I've been working on my Smitty Sled for about a month and a half. The weather was doing good for about a week or so here in so central pa,But as usual it went back to almost tropical..Now that we've had great ice making the past week or so I thought it was time to finish. Ready for the ice with some tweeks at times I'm sure.:)..Started with some thrift store downhill skis 6 ft,Left them uncut so we will see how that goes...I used 2x6 cut down with 2x4 notches cut in the middle for the cross pieces and lag screwed them in place. Counter sunk the screws on the under side of the skis as well. I cut little hardwood blocks and screwed them under the cross arms to give them a little more support...For the base and the sides of the box I used 1/2 plywood with one side sanded..For the top I opted for a double sided piece of maple ply,1/2 inch.48 inch piano hinge to hold it on..two pieces of brass chain to hold the door tilting back just a bit.Sanded the whole thing with 400 grit and then 800 to smooth it down some.Used Zars oil based stain in a varnish color to get just that effect. Hand rubbed it all in real well careful to always go with the grain of the wood never against it...Alot of the ideas I incorporated in my design came from You all out there and for that I thank you.This is one of those.Saw some thing like it attached to a 5 gallon bucket.Power wire runs in the tube for the mount.On the inside there is a sleeve to keep it from going all the way through the ply. Coil spring and a large fender washer for tension,hole drilled in the tube for a pin to hold it in place. . .Last thing was to figure out where to put all the gear..Used broom handle clips to hold my shovel and ice chisel under the lid.Mounted a stadium seat from same thrift store on the right side.There will be plenty of room for myself and sometimes 2 other friends gear and then some... I have a Clam twin hub that lays across the deck along with my trusty Vintage 6 inch Jiffy.Made all of my automatic fisherman along with all of the various assorted things that went into this build..And before I get the first post about weight the sled weighs 44lbs dry.with all the gear it's pushing 60 or better. Not too much for two guys to slide off the rear of the truck.I have  everything in plastic crates to reduce weight..Haven't figured in minnow and water weight, I also kept the box towards the rear to enable the tips to ride a little higher. Also don't Know where to put the camera yet..I really enjoyed this project and since these pics were taken I've put a coat of Clear Satin polyurethane on and it looks Incredible Thanks once again for all the help and Ideas SlabHappy 56...The neat thing is I can use it outdoors on the ice and it will fit in my shelter with room to spare.. Be safe out there!! :icefish:
Having been away from ice fishing for a number of years, I now have the time to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. I have enjoyed reading the posts from long time members and to read how you all help one another with no animosity between you.I am looking forward to chatting with you all...slabhappy.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #116 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:35 AM »
Awesome!
I truly believe that ice fishing attracts the most basically inventive people on the planet!

RG

Offline vans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:09 AM »

Threw this together last weekend, being cheap I used some carriage bolts that I had which were short, counterbored to use

[URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/jonv57/media/Smitty/DSC_0921-1.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:16 AM »
sweet designs// :'( :-\ :P ::) @) :o

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Nice job boys!! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.