Author Topic: Would it be worth the money? Underwater Camera?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
Would it be worth the money? Underwater Camera?
« on: Aug 30, 2013, 01:39 AM »
Hey guys,
I want to get an underwater camera this year if I got the funds. I want one that will be able to record videos so that I can upload them to my computer. What's the best camera for the value? I really like the Marcum Camera's but they're just so dang expensive! The vexilar cameras seem about the same quality so that'll turn into a Ford/Chevy discussion lol. I've also thought about waiting to see the reviews on the fishphone stuff that vex is putting out. Any opinions on cameras for the value? Screen size doesn't really matter but I want a color screen.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Would it be worth the money? Underwater Camera?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2013, 02:10 AM »
I have the Marcum. Yes it is expensive, but I have also never been disappointed with it. I am sure others have had good luck with some of the cheaper cameras, I haven't.

WS

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2013, 07:55 AM »
X2 on the marcum.  There's a ton of info on this site about cameras and you'll get a lot of opinions.  Mine from experience is you get what you pay for.  I have the 825c and yes it was expensive, but the quality is amazing - and i can actually use it outside of a dark shanty (sunlight viewable).

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2013, 07:58 AM »
X2 on the marcum.  There's a ton of info on this site about cameras and you'll get a lot of opinions.  Mine from experience is you get what you pay for.  I have the 825c and yes it was expensive, but the quality is amazing - and i can actually use it outside of a dark shanty (sunlight viewable).

+1 to this and Whopper Stopper's post as well

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2013, 08:07 AM »
I've got the base model of the Vexilar camera, been pretty impressed with it so far! Need to get a cheap camera so I can record stuff though, and the DTD would be a great feature to add to the thing, hard to tell what direction your camera is actually facing when you move it by hand. Last year Reeds and Fleet Farm had sales on this camera, keep your eyes open around Black Friday.

Offline lyonboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2013, 10:09 AM »
If you were going to record I would not suggest a AquaVu Micro.  Made for portability, not for crisp clean views

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I have to agree with what some of the others have said. I have the Marcum 825 and it is worth every penny. I did hear one negative comment about the Aqua Vu Micro....But they are coming out with a new one that has a 5" screen with a built in DVR....That one kind of has me reaching for my wallet.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2013, 05:45 PM »
I've been thinking about buying an underwater camera all year this year and I have heard some people say that they bought one and took it back asap due to being useless in eastern nebraska. I hardly make my way out west and will probably be fishing many lakes like branched oak, wagon train, wildwood, yankee hill, etc. in the eastern part of the state. I really enjoy just watching underwater footage of ice fishing and wondered if anyone has had much experience with their cameras in the eastern part of the state and would recommend one?
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I've been thinking about buying an underwater camera all year this year and I have heard some people say that they bought one and took it back asap due to being useless in eastern nebraska. I hardly make my way out west and will probably be fishing many lakes like branched oak, wagon train, wildwood, yankee hill, etc. in the eastern part of the state. I really enjoy just watching underwater footage of ice fishing and wondered if anyone has had much experience with their cameras in the eastern part of the state and would recommend one?
if you traveled itsnice to have but I have one and in our mudholes its kinda pointless
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline ryan_mortenson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2013, 07:03 AM »
i have the marcum lx9 and love it. i can see clearly in any water around here for 15 to 20 feet. never had any sight problems in eastern nebraska. i fish standing bear, wehrspann, walnut creek  and little farm ponds. to me its definitely worth the money. but its ultimately your choise. im willing to bring you out with the marcum when theres ice to show you if youd like

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:46 AM »
That's a tough one.  I bought one a few years ago and it generally stays at home.  Burchard is the only body of water around here that I fish that you can see more than a foot or two away from the camera.

I've used it up on Spirit and Okoboji.  Amazing visibility!  But, not much more than a novelty after a while.  Just another thing to carry around, setup, try to figure out which way its pointing, be pissed about when the battery dies, etc.  It takes away from fishing time.  Also a real PIA when the fish runs and wraps itself around the camera cord.

In my opinion there are SOOOOO many other things that will truly improve the quality and enjoyment of being out there.  Flasher upgrade, new suit, QUALITY boots and a GOOD set of spikes, a bunch more tungsten, a NICE rod and/or reel, new shelter... oh the list goes on and on!

Q

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Buy one of the aqua vu's.  Small, compact and can fit in your coat pocket.  As a tournament fisherman an underwater camera is a must.

Camera gives you an advantage to see exactly what those marks are on your flasher.  And there is no better feeling than finding submerged timber filled with crappie and seeing them and where they are hiding in the brush.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Water clarity makes a huge difference in the priority.  I have and use my camera almost every time, but i fish mostly clear water.  if my "home" lakes were stained or dirty, i'd probably lean towards a flasher. 

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:06 AM »
I have mostly everything I need right now. I do want to get a flipover that can accommodate a couple people which might be more of a necessity than an underwater camera. I have a clam 2000 right now which works fine for the time being, but I would have so much more room if I had a larger flipover shelter. A camera isn't really a necessity but it would be fun to mess around with. I have everything else basically because I splurged last year and spent a TON of money getting my arsenal started.
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:32 AM »
The things that I have learned from watching fish/bottom with a old Auqu View are hard to total, but when I use the camera, fishing takes a back seat. At least for me, the focal changes from fishing to learning, but that just makes me a better angler next trip!

Offline jordy1380

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:33 AM »
The things that I have learned from watching fish/bottom with a old Auqu View are hard to total, but when I use the camera, fishing takes a back seat. At least for me, the focal changes from fishing to learning, but that just makes me a better angler next trip!

This was kind of my thinking!! Get a camera and see how fish react to certain baits presented to them!
Get Yo Fish On!

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:44 AM »
I purchased one last year. I use mine to find structure and to see how the fish react to certaint presentations. I found that on Oneida lake the walleye will come in fast and furious for a jigging rap but stop just shy of a strike and roll against the bait. If the fish felt anything it was gone. That's worth the $$ for me...just be sure to get a auto panner with it.

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2013, 07:53 PM »
What would you guys say is the max depth that you can still see with the camera?   I'm about to pull the trigger on an aqua vu micro.  I see they sell an attachable light for it.  The cable is 50 feet , I can't imagine you could see much deeper than that with any camera if theres a decent snowpack on the lake.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I had an older version AV scout, no problem at 95', but, it's clear water, not the brown stained stuff.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:45 AM »
if you have the money, go for it. Its really fun!!.  I have two of the, Marcum 625sd and a 825sd. Got the 625sd first, my kids LOVE it. turns into, I want the camera, no you used it last time. lol  My buddy came with me one time, he has no flasher or anything, I always let him use the camera for gills. He out fished me 2 to 1,because they were so picky, he could see how they were reacting.
So bought a another 825sd, bigger screen.  I bought a 4.5 finbore auger just for duecer and camera hole too.
Run and gun...camera is pain in butt!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2013, 09:52 AM »
only if you fish shallower clear water. The cords are only so long and in merky water I find them hard to see with.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2013, 10:54 AM »
My buddy has an older model "Fish TV" camera. Its pretty neat, but I find that my sonar is so much more useful. But if you are using it to record cool footage, and not for locating fish, or assisting in catching fish, I'd say go for it!
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2013, 06:31 AM »

+1, This is key! On days when you mark fish on your flasher and they won't take, what would it be worth to you to see exactly what they are and how they are responding. Also, it happens frequently with soft biters that they can suck a bait in and spit it out before you can respond. Seeing them mouth it on the tv gives you the ability to set the hook. The question that comes up repeatedly is which is better, flasher or camera, I would take the flasher if I HAD to choose. But I want both because there are times when only the camera "catches" the fish. If you can afford it, get one of the better cameras, such as the Marcums because the picture quality is definitely superior.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2013, 07:34 AM »
I would get the flasher first simply because it will show you what is going on below your hole. A camera is good if you learn to use it. When searching for Perch on a few of the larger lakes around here I drill 1 hole and drop my camera down. In clear water I can see about thirty feet or more in each direction which means fewer holes drilled for me. When I see several Perch in the same area I will set up on that spot. I aslo know whether I'm looking at a tree lying on the bottom, natural structure or some type of debris. Some of our lakes that are flooded farm land have stock dams in them and one of them even has a combine on the bottom. I have seen farm equipment and even car bodies that all make good structure. If all I'm looking for is some sign of life I will use my flasher, but still drop the camera to see what species I'm looking at. Some folks say cameras are only good for entertaining the kids, but I guess it can be used as a tool or toy which is up to the individual.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2013, 10:13 PM »
X2 great advice ice dawg
Never to many short poles

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2013, 12:14 AM »
Come on ice dawg...aren't we all just big kids?  I may have told my wife that I bought one to entertain the kids...but in reality I wanted to see down there too!  I bought it out of curiosity...and low and behold I learned some things along the way.  Now in the hardside on the tv...I feel naked without it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #26 on: Nov 09, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Oh darn, now I'm gonna have to put a better TV in my wheel house! I'll bet the satellite setup will get expensive too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline coreyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I've just been going through this whole "which camera is best" thing. I had settled on the AquaVu Micro+ DVR as for me the key was the DVR. I had looked at a number of different cameras with the RCA out option but by the time I bought a camera for $3-400 and then another $200 on a DVR the Micro+ seemed a better deal for $500. The Micro+ has the advantage of size and internal DVR but the fact that it has a 6 hour recording time and no external SD slot was a bit of a let down for me. I like that fact that it is small and I don't have to bring another device (being the DVR) which means another battery to deal with and more cables to deal with.

Now along comes the Vexilar FP100... Mighty interesting. According to what I have read I should be able to use my little 7" Android tablet, or my iPhone to view it, as well as record still images or video, not being limited to 8GB of storage. My concern with the FP100, and I have the questions into Vex about it are... 1. Will multiple units in the vicinity conflict with each other. 2. Can multiple clients (phones/devices) simultaneously view the video. 3. Will the FishPhone app allow the download of the images/video in a common format such as AVI.

Here's the kicker. All of the Marcum/AquaVu cameras I have looked at all have CMOS based cameras, the Vex has CCD which is a much better image. If the FP100 for $200 will do what I want it to do, hence the questions I sent to Vexilar it's an easy choice for me as opposed to the $500 for the Micro+ DVR or $600+ for a Camera/DVR combo setup.

Offline udflyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Northern Ohio Ice Fisher
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:39 AM »
Look to craigslist I got a Fish TV dirt cheap.
Northern Ohio Ice Fisher

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:15 AM »
I bought a camera 3-4 years ago, have used it maybe 4 times.  Spend your money on somehting you will use, like a flasher.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.