New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: muskie  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Fishhunter22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: muskie
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:45 PM »
lets go swimming! freshwater dolphin! HUGE MUSKY WOW!

Offline jerryalanwin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:47 PM »
nice

Offline Big-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:01 PM »
I guess I'm the only one not believing this one. A guy with 32 posts is telling the story and holding a 50# fish like he is?

Believe it. I was the other guy who helped get it on the ice. Some of us care more about fishing than how many posts we have. My friend and neighbor who caught it has been a die-hard fisherman since he could walk, and he's no spring chicken. Keep up the negative posts... I bet it will help you land something big one day...
Dave
The Ranger School 2003
SUNY ESF 2005

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #33 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Ugh....no wonder our damn taxes are so high.

I really really really dont like how he's holding it by the gills. Someday i hope the fishery becomes what it used to be.....
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I don't understand? ^^

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:17 PM »
You guys do understand muskies are out of season right now until the third saturday in June right?

Offline Big-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:29 PM »
You guys do understand muskies are out of season right now until the third saturday in June right?

Yes. It was returned unharmed.
Dave
The Ranger School 2003
SUNY ESF 2005

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Yes. It was returned unharmed.

DEC frowns upon out of season fish being handled long enough for a photo.  If it were me, I would take photos of it for sure.  The ticket would be worth it.  2 things I would do different 1.)  I would not post the pics on the web, 2.) hold the fish horizontal to keep it from getting injured. 

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #38 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Just a hand up the gills.       Great fish though.   They have grippers to hook the mouth area so no damage to there gills
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:51 PM »
DEC frowns upon out of season fish being handled long enough for a photo.  If it were me, I would take photos of it for sure.  The ticket would be worth it.  2 things I would do different 1.) I would not post the pics on the web, 2.) hold the fish horizontal to keep it from getting injured.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You watch..... they will track this dude down and give him a ticket for that..... They do it every year........You take the time to weight,measure and photo it's Bad move posting it on the internet....

Offline Big-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 06, 2013, 08:53 PM »
DEC frowns upon out of season fish being handled long enough for a photo.  If it were me, I would take photos of it for sure.  The ticket would be worth it.  2 things I would do different 1.)  I would not post the pics on the web, 2.) hold the fish horizontal to keep it from getting injured.

I agree with you 100%. We didn't expect hooking into a fish of this caliper, didn't expect landing it, and like many others it was out first time handling a fish of this magnitude. Next time we will be smarter - if any of us are lucky enought to experience a next time... Learn somthing every time I wet a line. I appreciate your thoughtful, empathetic criticisms - an increasingly rare occurance on this site as of late.
Dave
The Ranger School 2003
SUNY ESF 2005

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 06, 2013, 09:54 PM »
If you are worried about holding them just hold them sideways so they can't be harmed.

Those grippers do alot of harm to a muskie, Boga's are a big no no...

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I dont think the dec will track him down for accidentally catching a fish out of season and taking a picture. What's he supposed to do......o it's just a 50lb Muskie cut the line and let's get back to walleye fishing. No. Yes I don't like how he was holding her but whatever as long as he watched her swim away and didn't just shove her under the ice I'm perfectly fine with it. On another note though if I found out him and his buddies sat around slappin hands for 5 min with the fish lying on the ice I would not be happy because I mean honestly...how often do you catch a Muskie on Lake O/St.Lawrence River ice fishing. On another note it's pretty cool to hear about these things being caught up there every now and then.....how big was that real popular one a couple years ago from there? 40lbs I think?

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I dont think the dec will track him down for accidentally catching a fish out of season and taking a picture. What's he supposed to do......o it's just a 50lb Muskie cut the line and let's get back to walleye fishing. No. Yes I don't like how he was holding her but whatever as long as he watched her swim away and didn't just shove her under the ice I'm perfectly fine with it. On another note though if I found out him and his buddies sat around slappin hands for 5 min with the fish lying on the ice I would not be happy because I mean honestly...how often do you catch a Muskie on Lake O/St.Lawrence River ice fishing. On another note it's pretty cool to hear about these things being caught up there every now and then.....how big was that real popular one a couple years ago from there? 40lbs I think?
I'm telling you they have.... more than once... and if your going to take a pic don't post it....Other than that... AWESOME FISH !!   ;) ;) They have been getting some really nice fish up there in the fall !!!

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2013, 03:39 AM »
I guess I'm the only one not believing this one. A guy with 32 posts is telling the story and holding a 50# fish like he is?
Help me understand your logic. Are you saying that someone who spends more time playing around on a fishing website than actual fishing has more credibility?
I would think the computer nerd would be the one to play with photo shop and alter pictures.  Thats just me though, what do I know. I'm heading out on the ice.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:55 AM »
Nice fish...There is NO way you can do it right on here. If you had just cut the line and left the hook in it, there would be some on here that would have said NO to that. Anyway a nice fish. You did what most of us would do, landed a fish of a lifetime, took a picture and put it back. I am sure you were not thinking about what some would say on IS....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline beemer0032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Great fish

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Awesome fish :tipup:
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline waterlover48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:06 AM »
catch of a life time for sure, i would of done the same thing you did , great job

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:04 AM »
For anyone reading this. NEVER hold a musky vertically.  It's not about damaging its gills so much as damaging it's internal organs and damaging its vertebrae.  With a fish that size it generally causes serious damage.  The fish may swim away but has permanent damage.  Not attacking the guy that caught it, most fishermans first instinct is to hold it that way for a picture not knowing the damage being done.  Just seems to be a thread most are viewing so thought I would throw it out there.  Good chance that fish won't make it.  I'll get off my stump now.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:58 AM »
very nice fish

Offline Fishin' Blues

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 07, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Played on the line while another hole was made, then held vertically by the gill plate for photo ops, and then released "unharmed". I hope it survives.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait, heres a little tip that I would like to relate.........

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 07, 2013, 11:56 AM »
Great fish, but I agree, it might not be alive anymore.  I would have taken a picture too, but the vertical holding puts all the weight of a monster fish like this on its spine, which can really cause some damage.

Here is a picture showing how to hold a musky.  Hope this helps.  Great fish though, nice job! 

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:00 PM »
not one person would cut the line after seeing that thing go sideways at the hole!  and if there was no picture this thread would suck and no one would believe it.  doesn't the fish usually come out of the hole vertically?

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Believe it. I was the other guy who helped get it on the ice. Some of us care more about fishing than how many posts we have. My friend and neighbor who caught it has been a die-hard fisherman since he could walk, and he's no spring chicken. Keep up the negative posts... I bet it will help you land something big one day...

Die-hard fishermen don't hold 50# fish vertcally by the gills.  Sounds like you might be getting a little negative yourself.

Offline wally chaser 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Rationalize it any way you want, its an illegal catch. Playing the fish out on light line, exhausting it, then hoisting it vertically (the most common no no talked about in musky fishing). Nice fish, too bad its probably dead. If you knew they're out of season and landed it anyways then that's no diehard in my book.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:38 PM »
I am a die-hard fisherman and I know the rules so I would not target them, but an incidental catch of that magnitude would have been measured and photographed also. If it died it lived a very full life anyways, hey do not grow that big overnight if it lived then it may be caught again, either way these guys did nothing to purposely hurt this fish. Once again very nice fish

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Yea it does smart guy supported by water until my hand gets under its belly.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline royjboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:27 PM »
How did I know that this was going to end up beibg a bunch of women bickering?
Nice catch.  Thanks for sharing. nows a good time to delete this post and enjoy your story with people who would appreciate it. Apparently you spend too much time fishing and not enough time posting crap on the computer for some, And you didn't get you fishery biologist degree for others to share your story here.
Thats why I don't post my stories or reports because all I know is fishing.
FYI, I just had dinner with my buddy who is a DEC officer and he said he would have done the same thing with a once in a life opportunity as well. The guy didn't know how to properly hold the beast,  does that make him Americas most wanted? lesson learned, shut up, stay in the kitchen and leave the fishing to us!

Offline esox v

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 07, 2013, 09:35 PM »
not one person would cut the line after seeing that thing go sideways at the hole!  and if there was no picture this thread would suck and no one would believe it.  doesn't the fish usually come out of the hole vertically?
Legally there is nothing wrong with catching and landing that fish and immediately releasing it unharmed..... When you take the time to pose for photo,measure,and weight it......Not so much... ;) ;) ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.