Author Topic: Waterproof for real  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waterproof for real
« on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Ok so my danner pronghorns leaked yesterday.  I think I have a good 3 or 4 years on them.  They just don't make things like they used to...........

Anyways, who makes a truly waterproof boot other than Muck boots (or any other rubber style boot).  I love the comfort of a regular tie up boot.  Anyone have any luck with boots truly remaining waterproof - maybe they do not exist anymore? 

Again, I am not asking about Muck boots, rubber boots, etc.  I understand these are most likely the absolute best in regards to waterproofing.  I own pair of muck boots for bow hunting.

I am really tired of dropping 150 - 200 bucks on a boot a get a few years out of but maybe this is today's reality. I owned a pair of rocky corn stalkers many years ago that were the best boot ever.  The remained waterproof for years and years.  I have never found a boot like them since. 

Any waterproof boot success stories would be great.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterproof for real
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:36 PM »
I have a pair of Sorrels that have to be at least 15 years old and still going strong. True, I only use them to ice fish and shovel the drive, but still....  :tipup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline bwana72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Several years ago I went on "The Quest For the Perfect Boot"....I bought and tried several different brands. And several of my buddies were very pleased with me handing down a few pair of barely worn boots that didn't make the cut. Long story short...the best boots that I found...and I own 3 different pair of them now...are Mendel Boots from Cabelas. Mendels are actually made by a family in Germany I believe. If you havn't tried a pair...you should...they are not cheap...but I can honestly say that in my opinion, they are well worth the money. Waterproof...CHECK.... Comfortable...CHECK... Durable...CHECK...Diff erent styles for different needs...CHECK. And there is my 2-cents.
Good Things Come To Those Who Bait

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:28 PM »
this is the 4th season with my cabelas predator extremes been fishing couple times this year where i was standing in a few inches of water and or slush,feet stayed dry as a bone. i had a pair of rocky boots that lasted till a seam blew out had them for quite a few years.i only use my ice fishin boots for ice fishin and i am extremly careful around augers and sharp objects

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I'm on my 7th year of Rangers.... they've never leaked for me...:)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:24 PM »
This is my seond year with danner pronghorns. I didn't need to hear they leak after 4 years  ???. For the price I was in hopes of getting 7-8 out of them.

WS

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Yes I was disappointed with Danners as well.  I love the boots otherwise.  They are the most comfortable boot I have purchased. 

I will check out the cabelas boot recommendations and thanks. 

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Several years ago I went on "The Quest For the Perfect Boot"....I bought and tried several different brands. And several of my buddies were very pleased with me handing down a few pair of barely worn boots that didn't make the cut. Long story short...the best boots that I found...and I own 3 different pair of them now...are Mendel Boots from Cabelas. Mendels are actually made by a family in Germany I believe. If you havn't tried a pair...you should...they are not cheap...but I can honestly say that in my opinion, they are well worth the money. Waterproof...CHECK.... Comfortable...CHECK... Durable...CHECK...Diff erent styles for different needs...CHECK. And there is my 2-cents.

WOW you weren't kidding when you said expensive!!!  How many years have you owned these?  I might shed I tear if I bought these and they leaked after a few years at that price.  Well worth the money if you get 5 or 6 years out of them though. 

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Also, the most I am seeing for thinsulite on the Meindl's is 800 grams??  Am I missing a pair with more insulation?  The reviews are very positive on the Cabelas website

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Mink Oil, Sno-seal or other preventative maintenance.     :unsure:

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:00 PM »
Mucks are good
Master Laker taker.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:50 PM »
this is the 4th season with my cabelas predator extremes been fishing couple times this year where i was standing in a few inches of water and or slush,feet stayed dry as a bone. i had a pair of rocky boots that lasted till a seam blew out had them for quite a few years.i only use my ice fishin boots for ice fishin and i am extremly careful around augers and sharp objects
            X2 on the Extremes!

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Mink Oil, Sno-seal or other preventative maintenance.     :unsure:

I have tried sno seal on other boots without much luck.  One thing I have not tried is mink oil.  I may try some and my danners. 

Offline smitty55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Try bear fat/oil  as a waterproofer and conditioner. Leather loves it. Cheers

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Mendels, Merrill, Keen are all top quality shoes/boots, personaly I find for me the Merrils fit the best and are by far the best boots I have ever owned....My Merril ice boots are 400 gram and never been cold yet....My work boots are my old Columbia Titanium Bugaboo's, several hard years of use and still keep my warm and dry and always have on the ice, snowmobiling and work, they are 600 gram... Key to warm feet besides boots are a good high quality wool or wool blend sock, my preference there is Patigonia, spendy but last and take alot of abuse and again the best I have ever tried.....

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Good quality boots are hard to find... Everything is cheap Chinese junk. As mentioned, meindl, schnee, hanwag, Darren's made in the us, which is only a couple models now. Your going to pay for quality. 400.00 for my hanwags, going on four years, still look great.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I'm like a woman when it comes to footwear... have an entire rack dedicated to all my footwear, possibly 50-70 pairs of various boots. Snowmobile boots, fishing, hiking, skiing (downhill, cross country, snowboarding, telemark, mountaineering), motorcycling, bicycling- I'm not going to go on even though I could. Each does something well, but never does one pair do everything well. If waterproof is the main criteria, then rubber boots are the only truly waterproof. I don't like Mucks, but have LaCrosse Alphas. So far they have been great, but the real test is if they will still be waterproof next year or the year after.

I've gone through dozens of pairs of high end lace up boots and if it's standing water, forget about it.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:15 AM »
Im on my 4th season with my LaCrosse pack boots and they aren't leaking and keep my feet warm and comfy... Paid $80 for them..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2013, 04:53 PM »

I've gone through dozens of pairs of high end lace up boots and if it's standing water, forget about it.
[/quote]

I am really starting to see this is the case.  I hate walking around in rubber boots.  To me they are not as comfy and cumbersome.  I have also not found a pair that is as warm as lace up boots.  You have crushed my dreams as I can no longer envision the perfect boot..............

With all of today's technology I just cannot believe a company cannot find a truly waterproof material other than rubber.  Or can they and they are simply concerned about not selling as many boots................. ......if a pair of boots does not leak for 10 years you wont need another pair and this not good for business.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I have a pair of rubber boots I got from Sportsman's Warehouse 2 years ago on sale for $69.  They are 2400 grams of Thins and work very good.  Biggest problem with these are the size, it is difficult to find spikes that slide over them.  I had to use the eagle claw spikes.

Offline SlabStomper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Cabelas inferno boots end of story. Teyre really light/comfortable for 2,000 grams of thinsulate. Also very waterproof and durable. Theres a reason why cabelas boots are used by so many outfitters.  ;)

Offline Munger1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everyday I think...........is this the day
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2013, 10:25 PM »
I second and third the Meindl Perfekt Boot! I am on my 2nd pair..............the low end ones and they are awesome! Also I remember having a pair of gore-tex socks years ago before i could afford decent boots........they leaked too eventually. Cannot go wrong with Meindl!
Everyday I think...........is this the day that I can finally go hit the ice?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2013, 10:52 PM »
Sorry to have to rain on everybodys parade of expensive $$$$$$$$$  boots, BUT, no place on Earth, from ANY manufacturer, are you going to find better boots for WARMTH, WATERPROOF, LONGEVITY OF LIFE, and SHEER COMFORT  than:

MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$35 TO $45 ON E-BAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2013, 09:39 AM »
If your looking for a good leather lace up waterproof boot try a pair of irish setters,the elk stalkers are 1000 gr of insulation,thats what I wear,I have worked outdoors all my life and have worked at a ski area for the past 21 years in the snowmaking dept and these are the best boots I have found,there not to pricey and come with a 1 year warranty,as far as waterproofing goes the best thing to use is a spray on silicone,camp dry is one brand I know of but theres a few more,sno seal if applied like its suposed to,with a little heat from a blow dryer and let it soak in works but it will make the leather very stiff in cold weather,in very cold weather its like wearing wooden shoes,mink oil works to,the problem with these products is they dont let the leather breethe,and over time  the stitching will start to rot. try a pair you wont be sorry

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2013, 11:27 AM »
.i only use my ice fishin boots for ice fishin and i am extremly careful around augers and sharp objects
[/quote]Yea I have 3 rubber patches from me being dumb and not paying attention to that. Field and stream 1000gm thinsulate. I like them.

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2013, 05:43 PM »
I have went back to overshoes.  My feet keep warmer in them and can wear about any shoe under them.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2013, 01:45 AM »
you've done wel. I have never had a pair of pronghorns last longer than a season. But nothing fits like one!!

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:01 AM »
muck artic pro reel happy with them
what is and what should never be

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I use the Servus overshoe.  Wear them for work and play and get about 2 years out of them.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Matterhorn...about 20 years and still waterproof.  ;D  Although not very warm  >:(
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.