Author Topic: What have you Kicked/Knocked/Dropped down the Hole  (Read 3540 times)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
What have you Kicked/Knocked/Dropped down the Hole
« on: Oct 20, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Ok, so what is the funniest and the most expensive thing you have kicked/dropped/knocked down the hole

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
Re: What have you Kicked/Knocked/Dropped down the Hole
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2005, 05:57 PM »
Last year my buddy knocked my sunglasses down his hole while fishing for perch. An hour later he jigged them back up. :)
Just waiting for the hardwater.

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 06:06 PM »
well my buddy HabaneroBob dropped a nice homemade spud down the hole winter before last......he honestly wanted to just help with something.....I said......Rob.....make sure you loop the rope over your wrist...its heavy......one chip...two.....and OMG Grump....its still on the bottom....BigWalleye brought his aquaview around and we could see it on the bottom.....left it there....will  check back in abit and see what kind of goodies are attached to the rope....hoping for some nice X-raps....Grump ;D ;D ;D

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2005, 06:08 PM »
most expensive is definately the cell phone  ::)  funny i would say was my lantern when smelting. one loud pop and it was very dark in the shanty. and then for about 45 seconds we could still see it burning until it dissapeared forever. :'(

grump you are just too funny my friend!!  :D

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I remember a few years back my buddy and I were fishing for walleye at night. We were checking tip ups and my buddy dropped his flashlight (while it was on) down the hole. We were fishing in six feet of water and could easily see it on the bottom. We went back to check the tip ups an hour later and I told my buddy, "I bet you $5.00 the flashlight is still on." We shook on it and sure enough the flashlight was still shining brightly at the bottom. Needless to say he didn't get any flags in that hole that evening.  :D
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:55 PM »
Let my buddy Gusman borrow my pliers to take a nice bass off and BAM!! Dropped them and they fell and hit his boots and did a triple sow kow in mid air and into the hole. I wasnt happy but had to give it a 10!! Gold medal!! :thumbsup:

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2005, 08:05 PM »
not quite down the hole....but my cell phone into Crow Lake....2 springs ago...and u guessed....HabaneroBob was there again....just finished loading up his boat with supplies for the weekend on BentTree Island....on my buddies dock....reach down to untie the boat.....those cell phones sure look pretty fluttering downward just out of reach...into about 18 ft of clear water.....the heck with it....Habby announces that on the return (monday of a longweekend)....he'll dive down and get it......yeah....watert emps in june are just over 50F....this is 1st week of May......anyhow...come back after laker fishing weekend, and leave a note on my buddies cottage telling him where there is a cell phone.....a couple months pass...its now mid September....get an evening call.....thats sure a pretty phone when its all lit up....huh????......my bud retrieved it....cleaned it all up....and except for a couple buttons that needed a little pressing......its now Mountainmama's cell...2 years later and still working perfectly......and this is the topper.....the batteries were still fully charged......gotta like them digital phone batteries.......Grump

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2005, 08:55 PM »
The only thing we ever dropped down the hole was a Frabil Metal Hanger (it hooks on the top pole of the portable shanty, thus allowing you to hang things from it:  gloves, needle nose pliers, etc).  Anyway, we sent down the Aqua Vu camera, found it, but could not bring it up.  We tried for over 15 minutes! 

Good part was it's pretty inexpensive ;)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2005, 10:17 PM »
A state record Pumpkinseed last year on Canandaigua. the record is like 1 lb 10 oz or something close and this thing was easily over two pounds.  I got it out of the hole and was gripping it to retreave the hook when it flopped and the hook popped out and it flipped out of my hand off my boot and into the hole.  I grabbed at it and felt the tail as it dissapeared back into the the water.

Then I woke up in a cold sweat!! lol

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Watching down my hole a few years back. Deep h2o going for lakers. Just looking to see if I could see any suspended fish. Looked up to edge of hole and scratched my cheek and ........POP goes my artificial eye down the hole.....beautiful sight (pardon the pun) watching my eye flutter down to the deep dark depths. 1600$ at the time ;)2. Oh well thats fishing, but I rarely wear it anymore when on ice.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2005, 11:26 PM »
My $45 gerber multi tool  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2005, 02:24 AM »
I have dropped a few jigs and a rattlin' rapala down the hole while changing lures. A buddy of mine lost his ax while chopping a hole in the ice. He looked down the hole and could see that it had landed with the head of the ax down, and handle up. So we made lasso out of some rope and slipped it over the handle and fished it out. :P

WW

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2005, 02:53 AM »
my cousin dropped my father's Wini chisel in 70ft of water one winter,every weekend my father would chop some holes and drag the bottom with a homemade grappling hook,it took him almost all winter,but he finally snagged it-amazing!  Scoops/lures/sinkers/depth weights - Too many to count - especially with the grand kids in tow - finally attached a large cork to the end of a scoop for THEIR use only,even wrapped cork on a jig rod(after getting my arm soaked grapping the tip as it started to disappear into the depths)
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:52 AM »
Luckly i have never dropped anything real expensive down the hole execpt for a few jig and hooks that i was tryin to tie on :P

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Fishing once with my bro and a buddy in a shanty, I was cutting something and left my gerber knife on my leg and it slid off and into the hole.  We all silently bent over the 10" hole, mouths wide open, and watched as it see-sawed its way down, and out of sight.  My buddy fishing with me had been the one who gave it to me.  We also dropped a handheld sonar down a hole, but I had attached a wire loop to it (which SHOULD have been around my buddies wrist - same buddy that gave me the knife) and a jigging spoon caught it after a few minutes...

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:43 AM »
We had a long walk on clean, late season ice one day last year.  The creeper on my right foot kept coming loose.  I had to reach down and adjust it about 5 times in a twenty minute walk.  Just as we were approaching the area where everyone was fishing, it fell almost all the way off.  In frustration, I kicked it off.  It flew about 20 yards then slid/rolled/tumbled into an unused hole.  I tried to jig it up but failed.  I spent the rest of the day drilling holes on one foot and walking in circles. ;D
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

dwayne

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2005, 11:32 AM »
I can't remember anything real expensive but I always laugh because what ever falls near a hole ends up finding it.  It is almost as if there is a magnetic pull from the deep.  I think I have seen led sounders practically swirve in mid air and find the 6 inch hole.

Bentshaft

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2005, 12:40 PM »
MY glasses got sucked right off of my face right in to the hole while slumped over passed out in my chair...and I'm very blind with out them :'(.  Not much site seeing on the 4 hour drive home from Upper Red Lake.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2005, 12:45 PM »
Never lost anything expensive. Lost a brick that was holding the wind flap on the bottom of my shanty.
I have found out with my aqua view that when you flip a cigarette ash into the hole, it will make it to the bottom
completely intact as it came off the cigarette. (I do smoke but I take the butts with me. I don't leave them on the ice.)
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2005, 01:15 PM »
I have to admit I have not lost a thing down the hole, but I have only been ice fishing for a few years and I am sure something will find it's way down the hole.

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2005, 01:28 PM »
i went smelt fishing with a buddy when i was younger and his father had just bought him a wire retainer for his mouth.  The whole ride up his dad was complaining about how exspensive it was.  His son is a chatter box and wouldnt shut up.  Need i say more.  Things got really quite after that. 

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2005, 02:13 PM »
a few months ago there was an article in F&S or outdoor about this,  and there was a guy who tied a wedding ring to a tip-up and set it off so his wife could reel it in and he could pop the question.  When she got it to the ice the ring fell off.    As for myself we dropped a cellphone but we got it back.

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I bent over an a $85 2-way radio fell out of my pocket right into the hole in 30+ ft. of water. When I seen my buddy he asked why I didn't answer him, I told him that he was talking to the fish.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Is he called Fishbreath as well :roflmao:

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2005, 10:12 AM »
$75 Leatherman...and a few brown trout :whistle:
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:19 PM »
I managed to lose a nice Gerber multi-tool a couple winters ago... It did a nice WHHOOOP WHOOPP WHOOOP before sinking into 20' of darkness!!!

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:37 PM »
coffemugs,sounders. fish lol,

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2005, 10:01 PM »
Man the lake bottoms must be littered with objest from the surface. The only objects I have seen so-far with my underwater camera have been the fish, lost jigs and a few tires. :D

WW

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2005, 08:07 AM »
You have to wonder about tires???? Everywhere you go you can find discarded tires, along the lake shores, the bottom of a lake or river, The commuter trains in Toronto go nowhere near a road or street yet tires liter the tracks. Yell I have been hiking miles in from a road and came across a tire....What is with that?

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Ya, I was sitting here wondering about where all the tires come from too. Always in or around the lakes, there are tires. Is it from someones boat that they use em so they dont hit the docks, then cast them off in the fall? Or is it people carring them around in their cars, then the tires see water and they jump out of the trunks? Or is it the tire stores conspiring to fill the lakes and rivers with tires to remind people to buy new rubber? Strange days indeed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.