The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26221 times)

Offline gillgetter06

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #240 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Fished the north end tonight. Fished in 70 FOW and marked fish everywhere. Everyone seemed to be doing pretty well. I ended with 50. Some others definitely had more. Plenty of ice still at 5"-6" and shoreline was just fine.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #241 on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I'm going to try to get one of my sons to check the ice Wed.,if not ,I will check it Thurs. on my way home from work,& if possible,be out there Thurs. night.Glad to hear you at least got enough for a meal ,gillgetter  :)
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #242 on: Mar 28, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Just checked the ice on the north end.It appears to be somewhat,kinda, maybe OK !The shore ice is gettin busted up & it wont take much to make it hard to get out.If I can get someone to go w/ me tonight,I'm gonna give it a shot,I walked out about 50 yds. & the ice was fine,looks like someone fished last night,& my sons seen some guys out there Tues. night.I will let ya know what I find.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline dermestid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Two of us went out Tuesday night fished from 9-1 and got 147. Bite was slow compared to Saturday night but still not terrible.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #244 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:24 PM »
Just checked the ice on the north end.It appears to be somewhat,kinda, maybe OK !The shore ice is gettin busted up & it wont take much to make it hard to get out.If I can get someone to go w/ me tonight,I'm gonna give it a shot,I walked out about 50 yds. & the ice was fine,looks like someone fished last night,& my sons seen some guys out there Tues. night.I will let ya know what I find.

Good luck SB and be safe.
I've taken the ice gear out of the jeep for the year. Time for some casting gear in there to fill the void. Hopefully better luck for me next year. I'll keep checking the other sites for warmer weather reports.

Offline gillgetter06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #245 on: Mar 28, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I heard on the scanner (I'm a firefighter) that a guy fell through off the bible conference today. Be careful out there. We fished Monday night and did really well, but I'm done for the year.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Mar 29, 2013, 07:27 AM »
Last night I fished in about 70' of water,& ended up w/165  smeltzillas. Looks like what very well may have been my last trip,turned out to be my best of the year ;D.Fish were from top to bottom & bit quite well;I even did some sight fishing,but its kinda hard to do w/ a long rod & a hook string thats over 7' long!The lake ice WAS fine,but the shore ice is gettin busted up real bad.No telling what will happen w/ todays temps.If I go tonight(&that is a BIG if),I will be wearing hip boots to get on the ice.If anyone goes out ,please use extreme caution & do not go out alone.With ice conditions deteriorating so quickly,the end is near  :( :( :(

Offline Fishwhistler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #247 on: Mar 29, 2013, 10:35 AM »
I want to start this post by thanking Smelt Buster for all the invaluable info this year. It was mentioned before on this thread, but like many of you my time and money is limited so I appreciate having some idea what I'm getting into before making long drives chasing fish. The smelt fishery on Gull is very sustainable and a great opportunity for kids, rookies, girlfriends... to experience the cultic sport of ice fishing. I know we all have our secret honey holes we like to keep quiet about, but there is plenty of opportunity on Gull for more smelt fishing. Guys like Smelt Buster are what the cooperative spirit and brotherhood of ice fishing is all about. Thanks a million. 
Last night, my cousin and I ended up with ~300 from 8:30-12. When we left, the bite was slower, but we were still hooking fish deeper. Also hooked a massive Northern that crushed my smelt on the way up to the hole. 2lb test vs 12lb Northern is a predictable outcome. The last ice bite was hot and my guess is it will be just as good tonight. We were in 70' of water right off the launch on the north end. Fish showed up about 8:45 and stayed all night, top to bottom. Big fan of green lights. The shore ice at the launch is breaking up but 50 yards west by the beach it was still good. Main lake ice was still in good shape. That being said, keep your wits about you and buddy up. It's getting into the final days. Good luck and be safe. 

Offline gillgetter06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #248 on: Mar 29, 2013, 11:45 AM »
Agreed. The info all year has been much appreciated! Does anyone on here fish for them from boats after last ice?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #249 on: Mar 29, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Thank you for the kind words,just tryin to help  everyone have a good time.Back in 2005, my wife & 2 sons went to Alaska,& we fished the Kenai river for (reds) sockeyes. Didnt do to good for a few days.One evening ,a guy fishing for kings hooked a monster king,I offered to net it for him & did so successfully! A hen, over 50 pounds,& he released it :woot:!After talking w/ him,he showed me what we were doing wrong for the reds.We started catching fish!I decided then, that I would  try to help people w/ fishing,whenever I could."Payin it Forward  :)".I must say,that the Shanty has made this year,the most memorable year I have ever had in ice fishing.I have met so many nice people out on Gull,it is unbelievable.To all of you,I say Thank You   :)Also thanks for using the garbage can,I put ,where you walk on;The ice is almost spotless this year  :)28 smelt trips this year & maybe 29, I dont know about tonight,just yet!What a season :)Fishwhistler, I think you were fishing right by me last night,I was the guy fishing out the end of my pop-up(the guy w/ all those hooks on his rod),I had the green light,& I was right behind those 2 old boys in the blue  wind break.I couldnt see,but I heard someone say they had a pike on.Anyways,If I go tonight,I will post here tommorrow.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Mar 29, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Good luck if you guys make it out tonight.  I would make the trip down there but my wifes patience are wearing very thin since i have been using the excuse "one last time" for a couple weeks now... and I suppose I should spend some time at home since its her birthday and all..  ;)
I did enjoy meeting and fishing with you guys this season.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #251 on: Mar 29, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Dave,it was great gettin to fish w/ ya;wish you could have been there last night!My wifes patience is also getting very thin,almost thinner than her waist,& thats thin  ;D. Spent the morning working in the yard,hopefully thats enough to make up for, "I promise,tonight is the last night".

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #252 on: Mar 29, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Well, this will be my final ice report for this season. Its done  :'( Tried getting on the north end & 2nd bay tonight.Both places,my spud went thru w/ 1 whack.On the north end,my brother & me made it out about 75' in front of the beach & decided we didnt want to go swimming,especially while wearing waders,to get past the broken shore ice.2nd. bay ,I went 15' from the dock,same story.It is too unsafe & not worth the risk.I am planning on trying the north end on my pontoon next weekend if it is opened up enough.Never fished smelt from a boat,but I will try it & let everyone know how it goes.Its been a great season, but time to move on to open water,   Phil

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Mar 31, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Well, this will be my final ice report for this season. Its done  :'( Tried getting on the north end & 2nd bay tonight.Both places,my spud went thru w/ 1 whack.On the north end,my brother & me made it out about 75' in front of the beach & decided we didnt want to go swimming,especially while wearing waders,to get past the broken shore ice.2nd. bay ,I went 15' from the dock,same story.It is too unsafe & not worth the risk.I am planning on trying the north end on my pontoon next weekend if it is opened up enough.Never fished smelt from a boat,but I will try it & let everyone know how it goes.Its been a great season, but time to move on to open water,   Phil

Thought about that too. My problem is, 60ft of ancher rope and keeping the boat from drifting around to much. Pontoon bout like sitting on the couch.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #254 on: Apr 01, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Planning on trying for smelt ,this weekend.3 anchors is what I need to hold it rock solid.My sons are watching the ice,to let me know when I can get out there.I guess its like a lack of ice report  ;D I'm hoping this works,could be fun  :)

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Apr 01, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Planning on trying for smelt ,this weekend.3 anchors is what I need to hold it rock solid.My sons are watching the ice,to let me know when I can get out there.I guess its like a lack of ice report  ;D I'm hoping this works,could be fun  :)

Dont forget fishing lisences expired today.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #256 on: Apr 01, 2013, 05:53 PM »
You need a license to do this stuff ??? Next thing ya know..youll be tellin me I have to get my boats registered too :woot:                                          Thanks for the reminder, picked it up today,after work :)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #257 on: Apr 01, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Man, if I didn't have to work this weekend. Good luck!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #258 on: Apr 02, 2013, 03:27 PM »
My son just called & said the ice is not going out as fast as I hoped!As of now,I could launch my boat,but not go anywhere  ::)This just doesnt seem right to be posting here, but I want that ice gone!If I cant walk on it, its in the way of more smelt fishing  ;D

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #259 on: Apr 03, 2013, 10:15 AM »
My son just called & said the ice is not going out as fast as I hoped!As of now,I could launch my boat,but not go anywhere  ::)This just doesnt seem right to be posting here, but I want that ice gone!If I cant walk on it, its in the way of more smelt fishing  ;D

Pre-ice, and post-ice. Waiting to walk on, or waiting to boat on. Like the days leading up to vacation.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Apr 03, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Pre-ice, and post-ice. Waiting to walk on, or waiting to boat on. Like the days leading up to vacation.
Well put ! I find it strange,sitting on my boat, in the barn, trying to decide wich smelt rod to use! Looks like I may try it Fri. night.Still waitin for an ice report from my son.He mentioned laker fishing ,Fri.,A.M.,so we may do that too.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #261 on: Apr 05, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Gonna try smelt fishing on my pontoon tonight.The ice is starting to go out .Sounds like we will be fishing in about 30'-40' of water.I will post how it goes.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #262 on: Apr 06, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Last  nights smelt fishing was slow!The ice/open water line was right at 50" of water,so thats where we fished.Marked very few fish.Ended up w/3 smelt & 1 nice perch.We then drifted/ & moved around w/ the MinnKota,trying to find fish.No luck.Lots of pike,suckers & mudpuppies in the shallows.No smelt in the creek,but they will be soon,the lake water temp was 38.6, with warm weather it wont take much for it to hit 43 degrees.Heard a rumor that the DNR dumped 8,000 trout in the lake yesterday.Dont know if its true & I dont know what they were,but I'm guessing lakers.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #263 on: Apr 06, 2013, 12:26 PM »
The north end is unfishable w/ a boat today :( The strong SE wind has blown the ice in almost to shore.No fishing tonight. >:(

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #264 on: Apr 07, 2013, 06:01 AM »
As of yesterday at about 2 pm about 90% of the ice is gone.... By midday today I recon there will be none left!  Also... The laker population in gull has been doing very well.. so I would not be surprised if the did stock more.... I've seen with my own two eyes plenty of Lakers around 40 inches... Pm me and I might even share my laker stories...
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline Dave10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #265 on: Apr 08, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Do people still fish for the trout near the creek?
Dave

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #266 on: Apr 09, 2013, 06:17 PM »
The last couple of years I have had very poor sucess there,but still try it from time to time. Thinking about trying it Fri. morning.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.