The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26224 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #210 on: Mar 17, 2013, 05:41 PM »
The second weekend of March 2011, me a four buddys were out there during the day and got 400-600 each. That whole week was crazy. No BS.
I believe you;what I cant figure out is why I did good Fri. night,& then last night not so good,if it wasnt for the company,it would have been boring :) I wish I could hit that day bite just once,I know they are there,just tryin to figure out why its been so inconsistent this year& why all of a sudden my male to female catch ratio has changed so much ???.Anyway, lets just hope for 1 more weekend of fishing,after all ,thats whats important  :icefish:
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #211 on: Mar 17, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Is anyone out right now? Markinl smelt yet?
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #212 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Wind from the east fishing the least! >: Don't feel bad I had same report where I was at this weekend.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #213 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:03 AM »
Look'n at the foercast, after today, COLD, till Friday, then only high 30's/low40's, still below 30 at nite. I think we got one more weekend left.
Primetime, you better get off those bluegill/crappie honey holes you got and hit Gull one time this year, I know its a long haul for you.

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:31 AM »
That is a long haul. Dont no if its worth it honestly!!!

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #215 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Caught 8 smelt last night from 7-10... Fish didn't come in till about 9... And they weren't really biting......... I was over by the country club...
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #216 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:57 AM »
That is a long haul. Dont no if its worth it honestly!!!

Yeah if its any thing like last Saturday, its not worth the 20 miles it is for me, let alone you.
But the nite I dont go, that will be the nite they are jumping out of the hole.
The nite before we went, they killed them. Maybe Smeltbuster caught them all Friday nite ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:01 PM »
The long drive there don't bother me it's the long drive home I'm worried about. ;D ;D ;D

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:13 PM »
The long drive there don't bother me it's the long drive home I'm worried about. ;D ;D ;D

I avoid drinking beerz. I had to stop in the road going through Delton Saturday nite cuz there was deer in the road, suckers didnt want to move, just stood there. Then about halfway between Delton and Hastings there has a group of 5-6 on the side a few feet from the road. I didnt have my gear real secure in the back of the jeep so it made a pretty good racket as it "settled in".

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #219 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:13 PM »

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:45 PM »
Hey Sweetdad,I noticed Sat. night you had a 2 litre of water;good idea! I always bring 2 24oz. tall boys ,but only drink 1,sometimes it lasts all night(like Fri.)! When its gone I start drinking tea,or sugar free lemonade,or cheap,rock gut whiskey in my flask!Pretty sure we got 1 more weekend left,I just need to decide if its worth the 18 min. drive to the north end ;D Actually,I need to decide if I want to tell the wife I was wrong, & theres 1 more weekend left  ??? ;D ??? ;D,what the heck,I'll tell her, spent all day yesterday goin through antique shops ,lookin for china,
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I avoid drinking beerz. I had to stop in the road going through Delton Saturday nite cuz there was deer in the road, suckers didnt want to move, just stood there. Then about halfway between Delton and Hastings there has a group of 5-6 on the side a few feet from the road. I didnt have my gear real secure in the back of the jeep so it made a pretty good racket as it "settled in".
What about the jager?

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Usually I,m hungover from Friday. Waters about all I can handle.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I've been doing a little researce trying to figure the little buggers out. Some reports say that spawning smelt dont feed. I'm also getting conflicting reports the bright lites may push smelt deep, away from the light, but they only register white lite, such as sunlite. Maybe my lite is too bright. I'll keep looking and what else I can dig up.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:49 PM »
Think about that guy on 2nd. bay,he's got the same light you do,& he always hammers them!From what I seen,you are setting up the same way.BTW,that is a sweet light!Its either the weather,spawning,moon phase,east wind,how were holdin our mouths,or something else we cant figure out !I think I need to start holdin my mouth differnt  ;D (practicing now for Thurs. night !) :P I forgot to add this: 2 yrs. ago when they came in to the creek,I was out there 1 morning before daylight;the launch area was solid smelt;I had an ice pole w/ me & was standing in about 12" of water,could not get even 1 to bite,they were so thick,I could have dipped them w/ my hat! No,I did not do it !

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »
So maybe its the spawn and feeding patterns. Could be moon phase too, they are nocternal.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Im mad that I went to my parents house two weekends ago in Hart Michigan and decided that ice fishing was all done for the year. Now I sit here in my apartment in Kalamazoo and im kicking myself in the butt for leaving all my gear at my parents place. Ill be heading back home this weekend and I might grab a few items just in case there's ice for the rest of the month. I could be putting more fish in the freezer right now!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #227 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:34 PM »
If you want to fish this weekend ,I can spare a  rod or 2 & a lantern. Do you want 1 rod w/12-15 hooks,or 2 rods each w/3 hooks ?I will be on the north end. PM me if interested.This is for Icebreaker, I dont need a hundred pm's for equipment!

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:39 PM »
If you want to fish this weekend ,I can spare a  rod or 2 & a lantern. Do you want 1 rod w/12-15 hooks,or 2 rods each w/3 hooks ?I will be on the north end. PM me if interested.This is for Icebreaker, I dont need a hundred pm's for equipment!

Bahaha, good save. Start calling you Cabela.

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:03 PM »
Usually I,m hungover from Friday. Waters about all I can handle.
I can relate to that. The kids B-ball tourneys are over so I may be able to make it up let me know if your going.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #230 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Bahaha, good save. Start calling you Cabela.
If you could only see my barn & my basement ;D,The barn looks more like Knutsons waterfowl,& icefishing areas, My basement shop looks like I cleaned out Schanz' in Plainwell,& my yard is starting to resemble a boatyard, forget about the lantern collection,& I am trying to downsize !

Offline Dave10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Smeltbuster,
I've been out there a couple of times and haven't done very good,
hope to be back out Friday night, how deep are you fishing?
How is the ice?
Thanks,Dave

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Mar 19, 2013, 04:57 PM »
I've been fishing in 50' of water, on the north end,thats where I will be Thurs. night.The ice was fine this past weekend & I figure it will be good this week end.Looking back over my 24 trips this year,I have not done real good,but I have had a blast ;D When the fish dont bite,you have to make the best of it.Granted,I do not have to drive the distance that most of you do,but every trip is special.When your out there,look me up;I have a black pop-up that says Trophy jr. on the side,I also park my Jet sled behind my hole w/ a metal reflector propped up on it(I fish out the end of the shanty).Anyone is welcome to fish w/ me,but I have 2 rules & I am NOT afraid to tell you what they are;Dont be a foul mouthed jerk& if you absolutely cant go a few hrs without smoking grass,dont let me smell it,I cant stand the smell !

Offline gillgetter06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Thanks for the info all season. I'm new this year to smelt fishing on gull, typically fish gills through the ice on Barry County lakes. Got a few when we've been out. Hoping to get out again this weekend! (hopefully Friday)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #234 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Thanks for the info all season. I'm new this year to smelt fishing on gull, typically fish gills through the ice on Barry County lakes. Got a few when we've been out. Hoping to get out again this weekend! (hopefully Friday)
Welcome to the shanty& hope to meet ya out on the hardwater.this is a good place to be if you cant go fishin.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #235 on: Mar 22, 2013, 06:38 AM »
Last night,north end:fished 50' of water,caught 43,probably missed another 20.A total of 5 shantys out there,& 1 guy sittin on the ice,he had 103(the guy that fishes 2nd. bay w/ a 24 lumens,LED light).Talked to the other guys,2guys by me had about 60 between them,3 other guys out in 55' had about 50 each,my buddy had 14,sittin right next to me.Didnt mark alot of fish,no bites before dark.The ice at the launch is ok,but there are some spots that are getting thinned  by the creek current.If we get any warm weather,that will be the end of this deal,please be careful. I'll be out there tonight,probably in about 55-60 ' of water.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:21 AM »
Fri. nite fish report:fished 55' of water, ended up w/ 142 pieces of finger food  ;D ,my buddy,who usually doesnt do too good, had 98(used one of my poles),5 other guys fishing w/ me all had around 100 when I left.Guys out deep all said they did good,2 guys in the parking lot said they had 540 between them ???. Marked & caught fish,from top to bottom; had 4 triples & several doubles.The shore ice is still fine & it was even making ice last night :)3 things I am convinced of,a green light is a huge help,fine wire hooks#10 or smaller, helps w/ less lost fish( no more ice jigs on my smelt rods),& these fish are unpredictable this year.Trip # 27  for the year begins about 6:30 p.m.,tonight :),whooda thunk we'd be fishin this late in March  :thumbsup: Maybe next week too.Keep ya posted on the ice conditions this next week.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Mar 24, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Unfortunately I couldn't afford to make the trip down this weekend, and with temps near, then in the 40's all next week I'm afraid that may have been my last chance. I'm taking my ice gear out of the jeep today and making room for the wet water gear. Looks like if I want a good smelt fry I'll be making a trip to the store.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Mar 24, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Last night in 55' of water,it was pretty slow compared to Fri. night.I ended up w/39 & most others in that area did just about the same,give or take a few.Some of the guys out in the 70' area did pretty good.I talked w/ 1 guy who had 230(I seen the fish).My suggestion for tonight would be go out that way.We marked very few fish compared to Fri..Made some more friends last night, from the Shanty,& I had my 1st. ever quadruple on smelt,now if I can just fill up those other 8 hooks  ;D

Offline gillgetter06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Mar 24, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Heading out tonight for one last try. Anybody else going to be out there??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.