The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26223 times)

Offline Principal ice-cam

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #180 on: Mar 12, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Doesn't look like I'll make it down Smeltbuster...I appreciate the thread...always checked it a few times a day.
Looking forward to meeting a few of you guys on gull one day. 
Cam
Principal ice-cam

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:33 PM »
Sad to say,NO local bait shops,with good info
Sounds like a good place to open one up.
Wish I could,but I dont think I would make enough money  to make the wife happy :nono:,Maybe when I retire :),As for the ice:I drove around 2nd.& south bay about 4;30 p.m.,no one was out there.My son seen one guy fishing on the north end last night,& he is going to check again tonight,on his way home from wings at Players in Augusta(excellent wings,& waitresses)!Gonna try & fish tommorow night,but that may get cancelled ,my mom  may have to have a heart valve replacement  tommorrow,she's in Borgess now & doing quite well actually.When I left today,she told me to go fishing; one less kid bothering her! Any ways keep ya posted on the ice & maybe the fish.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:38 PM »
Hope your mom's doing well and you get to go fishing.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Mar 13, 2013, 08:07 PM »
In the last hour or so: talked to my mom,talked to my boss,talked to my mom again!Not working Thurs.,bringing her home from Borgess in the a.m., (heart valve replacement in a week or 2) goin fishin tommorrow night.Working extra long hours next week.Full ice/fish report for the north end late Thurs. ,or early Fri......yee  haw  ;D ;D ;D
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Just drove by 2nd. bay awhile ago.There are quite a few tracks going out to smeltville,so some guys did fish it last night.Didnt check the ice.There was 1 guy  fishing on southbay .that was about an hour ago.gonna try the north end tonight.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #185 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Just drove by 2nd. bay awhile ago.There are quite a few tracks going out to smeltville,so some guys did fish it last night.Didnt check the ice.There was 1 guy  fishing on southbay .that was about an hour ago.gonna try the north end tonight.

Good luck, and take a buddy. High 20's with a 7 MPH SW wind. Tonite
After never getting above freezing all day yesterday or last nite I think it will be OK.
However the forcasted warm up tmrw, along with the predicted rain and snow, will not help things for this weekend. Our only hope is the nite time lows in the 20's.
5-10 MPH winds out of the NE Friday and Saturday, should be decent weather if we can get on :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\.

Offline whizper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Mar 14, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Buddy fishing out from the conference say 7" still. That a few minutes ago.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #187 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Correct... Still plenty of ice out there....
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Correct... Still plenty of ice out there....

North end?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:53 PM »
My fishin buddy checked the north end this afternoon & said it was bad.We fished 2nd. bay tonight with 3 other guys.One guy had about 30,the rest of us around 20 each,I had 18.Ice is fine on 2nd.bay.Marked tons of fish tonight but they wouldnt bite,The vex was red from 15' down,all the way to bottom(62'),for most of the night.I will try to check the north end early in the a.m.,& let you know what I find.There have been a few guys out there earlier in the week. Headed to G.R. in the a.m. to check out the "Titanic exhibit",my son & me are thinkin about leaving the wife & future daughter -in -law there,& go hit some sporting goods shops  ;D

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:50 AM »
The ice on the north end is fine. I walked out about 150 yds., no problems,probably 5-7".Guys have been fishing it, plenty of tracks going out.I will be out there tonight,probably in the 40-50' depths.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #191 on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Told ya... ;
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Yes you did! Sorry.There is 1 guy out there right now.On my way home from G.R.,had to check.Be out there about 6:30-6:45.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Well, last night was my 23rd. smelt trip for the year,& it was pretty good.I fished the north end in about 50' of water.I ended the night with 131 of the tasty little buggers.2 of my friends had 110 between them. I will say I fished later than planned & someone was not very happy with me when I walked in the door at 2:00 a.m. :%$#!:,seems my phone battery died & she got worried.As for the ice: it is ok for now,but it is going to get tough to get on the north end real soon.The creek is opening up the launch area,& the shore ice is starting to go out;also walked across about a 4" pressure crack in 45' of water.I think that we may only have a couple of days left,I hope I'm wrong.The ice on the lake is still good,its just the shore thats the problem.Gonna try to go again tonight, but I dont know;if mama aint happy,its not too fun around here !

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:52 AM »
One more night then maybe

Offline whizper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:10 AM »
Will be out tonight in my shappell fx100. Hope to do as well as you did last night. What time did they turn on?

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:48 AM »
One last whoraa. Me and my green chair will be out tonite

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Will be out tonight in my shappell fx100. Hope to do as well as you did last night. What time did they turn on?
They bit steady on bottom all night for my 2 friends.I never caught a fish till almost 9:00p.m.,after that it was pretty steady,anywhere from 15' -40' down. Yes I will be out there,probably around 6:30 p.m.,Guys were still doin pretty good in that 70' water also.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:53 PM »
Horrible. Walked off at 11:00 with 6 smelt. Everybody in our group was Shanty folk, good meeting all of you. Slow nite for everyone.

Offline whizper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Worst night ever . I Had 12. Lol. What a crazy year. Were you the guys in shallow?

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Worst night ever . I Had 12. Lol. What a crazy year. Were you the guys in shallow?

50-55 fow

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Gave up at 11:00. Ended up with 25. Nice meeting you guys last night.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:04 AM »
It was a SLOW night of fishing,but it was pretty cool to have 4 other guys from the Shanty in our group,It was great to finally meet you guys.I ended up w/ 35.We were in 51'-55' of water.BTW,the ice is still fine,just stay away from the creek.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:57 AM »
I,m seeing cold temps for the majority of next week, could we get in another weekend?

Offline sinister13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I ended w/24 slow night!!! Even slower for others ::) ::) ::) NICE meetin the other shanty members though. Good to put a face with a screen name

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Mar 17, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Gave up at 11:00. Ended up with 25. Nice meeting you guys last night.

Where did you say you got that carbon fiber, in line reel?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Mar 17, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Last night 32 of my 35 were males,the night before,most were males.I am wondering if the females are going into spawning mode & slowing down on feeding.Their eggs are getting really runny & they will be spawning soon.Also,we usually dont get to fish the north end this late in the season,just a thought.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Last night 32 of my 35 were males,the night before,most were males.I am wondering if the females are going into spawning mode & slowing down on feeding.Their eggs are getting really runny & they will be spawning soon.Also,we usually dont get to fish the north end this late in the season,just a thought.

The second weekend of March 2011, me a four buddys were out there during the day and got 400-600 each. That whole week was crazy. No BS.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #208 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:12 PM »
That would be a day to remember for sure..
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline rgp198328

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Anyone fish the bible conference this am?
Hook em n cook em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.