The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull Lake  (Read 26236 times)

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gull Lake
« Reply #120 on: Mar 02, 2013, 01:35 PM »
I just got some more 2nd. hand info:there were a LOT of shanties on the north end last night & it appeared they were in about 60-70' .There again,2nd. hand info.I do wish that some other people fishing Gull would give up some info from time to time  ???.I have talked to lots of guys this year,on Gull,that say they read these posts.Come on share the info for the guys that drive from ,G.R.,Lansing,Detroit,Ind.,& farther.PLEASE  ;) Phil
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline whizper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Mar 02, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Last night north end. Just cleaned 83 that i caught last night. Me and my buddies hammered them for about 2 hrs, then they shut down. As for bait use your imagination, had a few guys ask what we were using and had said that he hadn't caught any yet. Seems as if everytime I share what I'm using people look at me like "whatever" so I'm done. Happy fishing. Oh yeah these 2 guys were 20yds away. Lol

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Mar 02, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Thank You :thumbsup: And welcome to the shanty.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Off to good start, 2nd bay 48' vex is mark pretty solid all the way.   50 or so in first hour plus for two of us.
[IMG]]

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:33 AM »
Well we were out by the shanty town on north end. I too didn't know where to go when we got there . I'm use to fishing in front of creek in about 40' of water, no one was there when we got there  :-\. We had a first timer with us. And you couldn't miss us we had 2 hotels set up ;D ;D. 4 of us must of left with well over a 100, not great but OK. I believe I saw your shanty Smeltbuster in front of creek I wanted to come and say hi but it was a long slick walk  :'(  :'( and with a new hip  didn't want to take chance. Next time :).

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Mar 03, 2013, 08:55 AM »
I was on the north last night. 72 fow and slayed the fish from 6 to 8pm then it died. Buddy and I ended our night with 100+ fish. Marked fish solid down to 40 ft and had tons of smelt about 10ft down that just wouldn't bite. I was the guy with really bright green light in a frabil flip.

Offline little e

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #126 on: Mar 03, 2013, 10:20 AM »
Icebreaker - I was out there last night as well. 2 of us might have got 25 total.  We were almost straight across from you,   you were easy to spot with your green light. Talked about coming over to find out what kind if light it was. It does one hell of a job lighting up the ice. Can you tell me what it is and where you got it.

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:28 PM »

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Mar 03, 2013, 12:49 PM »
Two of us ended with 120 with most caught from 7-9 marked fish all night, after 9 we tried everything and had to work for what we caught.  Marked solid fish all night. 

That light is similar to one I bought this year, I got one from fishing lights they sell for $99 but offer some with minor flaws for $50 which is what I went with.  I honestly cant see the flaw and the 3 trips this year using it has been great   
[IMG]]

Offline little e

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Thanks for the info icebreaker.  Our light went out early,  due to bad battery,  sure that didn't help. We talked about moving over closer to you and your light. They were biting super lite for us. We have done well on  Higgins and Crystal in the past. Much shorter drive to Gull, just haven't done very good there yet.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2013, 01:16 PM »
OK,so I set up in the WRONG spot last night :(Went with my gut feeling & fished where I always do.42' of water,in front of the creek;I ended up w/16,my brother had 4.Did not mark too many fish either.I had a group of friends out in the deepwater & they did not do good at all.I did notice that almost everyone was off the lake by 11:00p.m.I am glad to hear that some of you guys got them.Makes the trip worth the effort! :thumbsup:

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Sounds like we had a Ice Shanty Gathering and we didn't even know it :o. I think next time I should holler out Sound off Ice shanty member  ;D. Yeah you couldn't miss that Green glow under the Ice and we were 100 yards away. Look me up next time I have the Clam big foot. We even did Venison on the Ice  ;D.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Mar 03, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Sounds like we had a Ice Shanty Gathering and we didn't even know it :o. I think next time I should holler out Sound off Ice shanty member  ;D. Yeah you couldn't miss that Green glow under the Ice and we were 100 yards away. Look me up next time I have the Clam big foot. We even did Venison on the Ice  ;D.
I've thought about doing the same thing!I did see where you were at.Funny that you did venison;we were eating an early St.Pattys day dinner,of boiled cabbage,taters,carrotts & homemade corned venison.At least the food was good.BTW,I met a fellow shanty member,Fri.night,I dont remember your username,but Nick it was a pleasure to meet you.Smeltman,I really like that shoutout idea,good one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline icebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Mar 04, 2013, 08:05 AM »
I fished crystal lake last weekend and between 3 guys we caught over 400 BIG smelt. The fish on gull were biting very lite for me as we'll Saturday. I missed my fair share of fish that night. Ill be heading back to crystal lake this Thursday night. The green light seems to make all the difference in my smelt fishing experience, but have had nights where the light just didn't matter. The nice thing about the green light I just bought is the fact that I can use a vex battery and the light will stay bright 8+ hour. Good luck fishing everyone it's great to get good information from a good group of people.

Icebreaker

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #134 on: Mar 04, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Caught 43 last night on the south end between the two of us. Left at 9.

Offline little e

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Mar 04, 2013, 02:09 PM »
icebreaker --- where did you fish on Crystal? I'm thinking about heading either to Crystal or Higgins this weekend with my 10 year old?

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Well it took me a couple of years to finally agree that the green light is the key. I usually wouldn't have a problem getting a fair amount before, but this year has been tough. Next year I'll have one bright enough to land aircraft. Can't fit it in the budget this year because we're going to Lake of the Woods, Minn. this weekend. One more item off the Bucket List. Hopefully there will be ice when we come back next week. So good smelting to all of you while the season lasts.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Mar 04, 2013, 06:32 PM »
Well it took me a couple of years to finally agree that the green light is the key. I usually wouldn't have a problem getting a fair amount before, but this year has been tough. Next year I'll have one bright enough to land aircraft. Can't fit it in the budget this year because we're going to Lake of the Woods, Minn. this weekend. One more item off the Bucket List. Hopefully there will be ice when we come back next week. So good smelting to all of you while the season lasts.
This year has been real tough for some of us ! I bought an Aquastar light at D&R Sports ,a couple of weeks ago,I have only had 1 decent night of fishing since then. I always seemed to do good w/out a light,but this year has been tough for me.Nick, is that your post?? Anyway ,good luck up in Minn. . 2 quads & a Polaris Ranger on the north end tonight,parking lot had about 15 cars/trucks ,& some guys out in that 70' water band.My son was giving me an update from the boat launch,so I could let  you guys know whats going on.Tryin to get them to do this ,but they are too busy !

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Mar 05, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Hey Smeltbuster, yes this is Nick. I'm fishing Sherman this afternoon. If I go smelting it will probably be Wednesday night at the 2nd Bay. It's closer to my house.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Mar 05, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Going to hit it Thurs. night,dont know where right now,but I'm sure it will be in the wrong spot  :woot: :woot: :woot:

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
« Reply #140 on: Mar 05, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Going to hit it Thurs. night,dont know where right now,but I'm sure it will be in the wrong spot  :woot: :woot: :woot:
Then you'll see me there. I've done terrible this year. This Saturday has to be the one to turn it around.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Mar 05, 2013, 10:51 PM »
Come on Sweetdad & Smeltbuster i know you guys are better then this  :o :o. Saturday night i have never seen the vex. lit up so much. My buddy agreed and he fishes Higgins. Has anyone heard if they are biting during the day yet?

Offline whizper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:33 AM »
Green Gulp alive.

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Mar 06, 2013, 01:15 PM »
How sloppy do you think it will be Saturday with this bit of a warm up. I see mid 30's / low 40's during the day the rest of the week, back down in the 20's at nite. Mid 40's for Saturday. Dont get me wrong I will be out, but should I wear boots or waders.

Offline primetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Sandals! ;D

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Just be sure you have your creepers it will be like walking on glass

How sloppy do you think it will be Saturday with this bit of a warm up. I see mid 30's / low 40's during the day the rest of the week, back down in the 20's at nite. Mid 40's for Saturday. Dont get me wrong I will be out, but should I wear boots or waders.
[IMG]]

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Green Gulp alive.
Thanks,I wondered ,I didnt use my imagination enough !  I will post a fish /ice/slush report tommorrow night when I get home ,or early Friday morning.Smeltman,its been tough & kind of embarassing this year!I hope it turns around.Like I have said before: I marked tons of clouds of smelt last summer,while trolling,thought it was going to be an awesome year.The fish are there,just cant get right program going.Gettin payed back for all the pike I caught last summer !

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Mar 06, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Just be sure you have your creepers it will be like walking on glass

The last time I was on the 2nd South bay, there was 4" of water on top of 3" of ice, it had just gott'n safe, and I seen a dude slip, both feet straight up in the air, flat on his back. That's a long, cold, wet walk to the parking lot from out there. He was laughing at himself so I assume he was ok.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Mar 07, 2013, 01:03 PM »
The last time I was on the 2nd South bay, there was 4" of water on top of 3" of ice, it had just gott'n safe, and I seen a dude slip, both feet straight up in the air, flat on his back. That's a long, cold, wet walk to the parking lot from out there. He was laughing at himself so I assume he was ok.
Been there,done that, figured if I laughed,it would drown out the sound of others laughing at me  ;D ;D ;D.Gonna be on the north end tonight;I think I just might steal Smeltmans  idea & do an Ice Shanty call-out.Heck, those of us that fish out there,have probably talked before; we might as well meet, instead of just being a name on a  PC.     Phil

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Mar 07, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Yeah, I've talked to plenty of guys out there, and read stuff on here that I seen or heard happening around me out there. I thought about getting a Shanty mafia flag and patch to show

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.