Drove down to culver Saturday and there is open water

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Maxi
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Drove down to culver Saturday and there is open water

???  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=249477.0 

One says locked up with a bit of open water and another says open water.  Either way I doubt the NAIFC series is going to make it next weekend.

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:23 PM »
If they cancel I wonder if they'll schedule one in IN again ???

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:25 PM »
If they cancel I wonder if they'll schedule one in IN again ???

IDK....2 years in a row in Feb and they have had to cancel.  Good lake to have the event on...if mother nature would cooperate.

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I just got off the phone with my eye on maxi, she works at a fast food restaurant on Lake Shore Drive. The lake is completely iced over except for a couple spots. 6 fishermen where out on the north west corner. I will be making the 100 mi. trek to prefish for the NAIFC tournament tomorrow.It will mostlikely be a walking tournament,but it's going to happen!        Team # 3

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Are you sure they are going to have it?  Not sure where the open areas are, but could be a low weight event if you can't get out to the productive spots and that lake is a doozy to walk if you have to go very far.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:46 PM »
i am going to say that the event will happen; I was out there fishing the academy bay most of the day the open holes that are left are two spots out between the two major points . ice thickness is sketchy going from 4-5 in out 200 yds it drops to 3-4 of mixed ice  but with temps staying where they are it will be better each day  I live ten min from the lake and check it daily  managed two bass today but not what i was targeting
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:52 PM »
i am going to say that the event will happen; I was out there fishing the academy bay most of the day the open holes that are left are two spots out between the two major points . ice thickness is sketchy going from 4-5 in out 200 yds it drops to 3-4 of mixed ice  but with temps staying where they are it will be better each day  I live ten min from the lake and check it daily  managed two bass today but not what i was targeting

Good info...quads and snomobiles probably won't be allowed as stated above.  That is going to make it hard to get the full 8 gills and 8 crappies.

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:27 PM »
      I'm just trying to be positive. The decision will be made Wed. if there is enough ice on the main lake or a good section of the main lake, to weather it will be walking or snow machines and or quads in the tournament. The lineup will be out of Culver Academy. The last tournament, two weeks ago,at Croton Pond Dam in Mi., was a walking. Safety is always first. With all the time and effort put in by the town of Culver, and the NAIFC, it's going to happen. As of Sat. night only 20 teams have signed-up, not much intrest in competitive fishing. Montana Has a tournament in 2 weeks, with 69 teams signed up already.   Montana 69-Indana 20. WHATS UP?                                       

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:39 PM »
not much interest in competitive fishing
  We have Ice fishing events every week of the season throughout  Indiana.  Maybe its the cost of this event?  or the last few years with lack of ice at Maxi??

I hope the weather holds for the NAIFC and the Maxi event is a success. 

I would love to see local guys win it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:47 PM »
The locals usually win these tournaments, I'll take a second place  ;D

Offline chumslick2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:04 PM »
I'm just saying I was there hours ago. There were many pockets of open water. Straight out from the beach on the north end was still ice but you could tell where it dropped off to deeper water there pockets of open water all over. It did not look like water on top of the ice. Didn't go to academy bay

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I'm just saying I was there hours ago. There were many pockets of open water. Straight out from the beach on the north end was still ice but you could tell where it dropped off to deeper water there pockets of open water all over. It did not look like water on top of the ice. Didn't go to academy bay

I was there today too.  I was on the ice and drove around the lake. 
The area I fished had 5 inches and as first seargent said, it gets thin in a hurry!  The least I drilled was 2 inches....a few spots of junk/punky ice the spud went thru in 1 hit!  The new ice that's forming is mixed in with about an inch of leftover ice.....when you hit it with a spud it shatters like glass.

When I drove around the lake SEVERAL open areas could be seen and SEVERAL wet spots dotted the snow covered lake!

I suppose some guys will fish it...but I will wait a couple days.  I move around and hole hop a lot.  I don't like tip-toeing from hole to hole!!!  Be careful.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2013, 08:11 AM »
i am heading back to maxi this afternoon and will post an update this evening while i watch the superbowl in agony,   Do i pick a favorite, well based solely on the story of Michael Oher and the movie Blind Side i will go with Baltimore  hope to find some fish beforehand  Safety first gentlemen!!!!!!
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2013, 10:00 AM »
I was there today too.  I was on the ice and drove around the lake. 
The area I fished had 5 inches and as first seargent said, it gets thin in a hurry!  The least I drilled was 2 inches....a few spots of junk/punky ice the spud went thru in 1 hit!  The new ice that's forming is mixed in with about an inch of leftover ice.....when you hit it with a spud it shatters like glass.

When I drove around the lake SEVERAL open areas could be seen and SEVERAL wet spots dotted the snow covered lake!

I suppose some guys will fish it...but I will wait a couple days.  I move around and hole hop a lot.  I don't like tip-toeing from hole to hole!!!  Be careful.

Bret, you fishin the NAIFC?
Photobucket can suck it

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2013, 11:12 AM »
I would love to try one of these events one day but I have a hard time putting up that kind of money to fish a lake that I have never fished .  Would it be worth the time to go over Sunday and watch? Maybe see what is going on on the lake and then go to the weigh in .

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Only shows 3 teams from IN signed up.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2013, 12:57 PM »
I would love to try one of these events one day but I have a hard time putting up that kind of money to fish a lake that I have never fished .  Would it be worth the time to go over Sunday and watch? Maybe see what is going on on the lake and then go to the weigh in .
How much is it?

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:00 PM »
$200 i think

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2013, 01:01 PM »
A bit salty. must have some good prize money.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:45 PM »
$100 per man
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline AlgaeKilla

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:56 PM »
A bit salty. must have some good prize money.

$21,000 pay out based on 150 teams. $7,500 for first. $200 down to 20th.
Photobucket can suck it

Offline Mohawk Scout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2013, 06:44 PM »
 Tightliner, you and everyone who is interested. You are all welcome to come out and watch the NAIFC tournament next sunday, but you are not allowed to get within 16' of any angler or allowed to communicate with any angler during the tournament. And the weigh-in is open to the public.
Sunday Indoor Weigh-In (Train Station/ Culver Lions Club)
Weigh-in starts at 2:00pm
  Friday night you go ta check this out!
Friday Night Seminar (lake House Grill)
Social Hour 6:00-7:00pm
Seminar 7:00pm
Round table discussions with a variety of Tournament Anglers
This seminar program is geared toward educating fishers to the world of tournaments ice fishing and the best products in the industry. The seminar is open to the public and free of charge. Please come and check it out!
  Sat. anyone with a child or a grandchild that is interested in icefishing THIS IS A MUST! !!! Free HT icefishing rods to all kids.
  Cabela's Saturday Morning Kids Event
In class tutorial (Beach Lodge/Community Park) 10:00am-10:30am
On Ice fishing (Lake Maxinkuckee) 10:30am- Noon
NAIFC Pro Staff will promote fishing education through demonstration in classroom tutorials. Parents must accompany their kids during the event. The kids and parents will then be invited to fish on Lake Maxinkuckee with the NAIFC Pro Staff. Equipment will be provided. This is an outdoor event, please dress for the weather. This is an excellent opportunity to introduce a new way for kids to enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. Each youth will receive a HT Enterprises Ice Rod and promotional items for their future ice fishing adventures. Winter Fishing and introduction to the newest technology will give the parent and child a first look at ice fishing.
  Wow I'm totally pumped, bring on the cold weather. I just got back from pre-fishing Culver Bay, Met First Sergeant  and team# 975 Jason and Charley. Team Mohawk will be back on Maxi Friday reeling in giant bluegills and searching out the elusive Specks

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Tightliner, you and everyone who is interested. You are all welcome to come out and watch the NAIFC tournament next sunday, but you are not allowed to get within 16' of any angler or allowed to communicate with any angler during the tournament. And the weigh-in is open to the public.
Sunday Indoor Weigh-In (Train Station/ Culver Lions Club)
Weigh-in starts at 2:00pm
  Friday night you go ta check this out!
Friday Night Seminar (lake House Grill)
Social Hour 6:00-7:00pm
Seminar 7:00pm
Round table discussions with a variety of Tournament Anglers
This seminar program is geared toward educating fishers to the world of tournaments ice fishing and the best products in the industry. The seminar is open to the public and free of charge. Please come and check it out!
  Sat. anyone with a child or a grandchild that is interested in icefishing THIS IS A MUST! !!! Free HT icefishing rods to all kids.
  Cabela's Saturday Morning Kids Event
In class tutorial (Beach Lodge/Community Park) 10:00am-10:30am
On Ice fishing (Lake Maxinkuckee) 10:30am- Noon
NAIFC Pro Staff will promote fishing education through demonstration in classroom tutorials. Parents must accompany their kids during the event. The kids and parents will then be invited to fish on Lake Maxinkuckee with the NAIFC Pro Staff. Equipment will be provided. This is an outdoor event, please dress for the weather. This is an excellent opportunity to introduce a new way for kids to enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. Each youth will receive a HT Enterprises Ice Rod and promotional items for their future ice fishing adventures. Winter Fishing and introduction to the newest technology will give the parent and child a first look at ice fishing.
  Wow I'm totally pumped, bring on the cold weather. I just got back from pre-fishing Culver Bay, Met First Sergeant  and team# 975 Jason and Charley. Team Mohawk will be back on Maxi Friday reeling in giant bluegills and searching out the elusive Specks

Cool thanks for the info I think I will have to make it over there to check some of this out . Can I fish on my own no the lake and not be in the torment while I'am over there or do they shut down the lake to everyone else fishing?

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Cool thanks for the info I think I will have to make it over there to check some of this out . Can I fish on my own no the lake and not be in the torment while I'am over there or do they shut down the lake to everyone else fishing?

Public lake...no way they can 'take it over' for a day without permission from the DNR.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Public lake...no way they can 'take it over' for a day without permission from the DNR.

Thanks That was what I was thinking but was not to sure.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:16 PM »
  16ft  LOL :roflmao:     What do they do tackle you if you get to close. ,   stun gun??
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:24 PM »
  16ft  LOL :roflmao:     What do they do tackle you if you get to close. ,   stun gun??

LOL...all kinds of distance rules in effect....you have to stay within a certain distance of your partner at all times....also can't fish within 15 ft of another team, although any open hole is fair game as long as it is further than 15 ft from another team.

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Sure I can see the rules if your in the event but he said
Tightliner, you and everyone who is interested. You are all welcome to come out and watch the NAIFC tournament next sunday, but you are not allowed to get within 16' of any angler or allowed to communicate with any angler during the tournament.
  Its a public lake people will fish were they want to. We run events and not everyone fishing is in our event. Maybe he means  for the people fishing the event this is the rule. 

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Fished Maxi today myself with River rat. Be careful out there. In this pic the ice went from 6 inches to 2 in one step. I backed up very slowly, I was drilling my way out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.