• IceShanty Rookie
Summit
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:11 PM »
has anyone fished summit lately might hit it this weekend

Offline huskerfish_2005

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Summit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Was wondering the same thing. Planning on heading that way on Saturday afternoon. Never fished the lake before.

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Please let us know conditions, may try to hit it next week!

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:52 PM »
9", ice is going nowhere

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I'll be out there hitting my usual spots as well.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline O.NE-CrappieMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Went out to Summit with WILB3 and BUST A HOLE, real cool guys to fish with and had a good night of fishing

Offline ReclusE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:15 PM »
What is the ice like out there? Where are you finding fish?

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:13 PM »
What is the ice like out there? Where are you finding fish?

Ice was plenty thick, 8"+.  We found most of our fish in about 18FOW.  Hit some decent crappie between about 8 to 17 feet.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline O.NE-CrappieMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:56 PM »

from the night out w/ WILB3 and BUSTA HOLE

Hogzilla

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Nice haul man, were they all around 10 inches?

Offline O.NE-CrappieMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2013, 03:08 PM »
They were all 9"-12"

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Nice fish fellers! That one on the top right looks like he isnt feeling too well! Haha.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Im taking cover for this.....  :blink:

Offline Done

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Crappies are notorious for overpopulating and stunting.  I believe it is very hard to overfish them.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Crappies are notorious for overpopulating and stunting.  I believe it is very hard to overfish them.

Yes, but when you consistently take the top notch/biggest crappie in a lake every time you go out.  Those fish with good genetics which need to be there to reproduce are no longer able to do so.  Selective harvest needs to be part of every fishermens practice.  Want to keep some fish for supper.  Keep a few 10 inch crappie and let the 12+ go, same with bluegill.  Clean the 7-8 inchers and let the bigger ones go.  Those fish do a lake a heck of a lot more good than they do going into a frying pan.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I enjoy the pictures.  Thank you and keep posting them.  I can tell that you fish a lot of different lakes which is good.  If you fish it well twice a year and take 30 is that any worse than the local that fishes it 15 times and takes 80?  I am a numbers guy and I say no.  It is not worse.  Huskersorrel if you think a guy that fishes that lake only a couple times a year took all of your fish you are wrong.
Where's the ice

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I enjoy the pictures.  Thank you and keep posting them.  I can tell that you fish a lot of different lakes which is good.  If you fish it well twice a year and take 30 is that any worse than the local that fishes it 15 times and takes 80?  I am a numbers guy and I say no.  It is not worse.  Huskersorrel if you think a guy that fishes that lake only a couple times a year took all of your fish you are wrong.

I agree completely....some of the other forum members seem to have made it on over to IS and brought their wisdom with them.

O.ne...I fish Summit now and then with my Wee One and wish I could dial in on those crape like you do....thanks for sharing.

Some of those guys just don't like it when you talk about Summit in public.

Funny one post says you are keeping dink fish and another says you are keeping the big fish that need to be released....there is just no pleasing some guys.......

Thanks for the report.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:45 PM »
My bad. I only counted 15.  My iPad must not have a big enough screen for the rest of the dozens to fit on it.
Where's the ice

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:15 PM »
My bad. I only counted 15.  My iPad must not have a big enough screen for the rest of the dozens to fit on it.
Exactly!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline perchboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2013, 12:08 AM »

I fish the lake all the time and taking a limit of those crappie are not going to hurt the lake. I have caught over 30 crappie and gills everytime i have been out this year. I have returned them everytime. Summit has alot of crappie and gills in it you just need to know how to fish them. Crappie grow quick in the lake and you will never over fish them. The average size of crappie this year is 10+. That looks like a great catch for the pan.

Offline NE BASS MAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:26 AM »
I see both sides of the story, fish are yummy, but they are also fun to catch.  If I see someone posting a couple of limmits of crappie with in a few week period, I sure hope that person is eating them quickly.  Keep in mind, if you have 15 panifish on the ice, and 15 in your freezer, your possesion limmit is met.  It you have 20 panfish in your freezer, and 15 on the ice, you are breaking the law.  Im not saying anyone is breaking any rules here, but there are so many people out there that are!  Guys like us that know better need to be more responsible anglers.

Is it ok to keep your limmit everytime out?  Sure it is, as long as you abide by the possesion limmits as well.  Is it the most responsible thing to do keeping a limmit everytime you can?  I don't think so, but that is just me, and just my oppinion.

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Here we go again  ::). Is he within his Legal limits  ::). Good, then you have no arguement  ::).
Fish like theres no tommorow.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:38 AM »
 :blink: is it safe to come out yet? As long as this fisherman doesnt go to this lake and keep a limit like this every time he fishes then I think things will be ok. As another poster said, he seems to be fishing a lot of different lakes. As for the fish kept, I think he did ok. I would maybe keep a few less and let the 11 and 12" fish go but as for keeping the 10" average fish, I think this is the way to harvest crappie. Per the post there were 3 guys fishing so this is 5 fish per person. Maybe next time give em a break and keep only a handful and let the rest go but "Unethical"..... No. A poor sportsman? Nope. Not that either. This man appears to be well within his rights as long as his freezer isnt stuffed beyond his possession limit. I LOVE to recomend selective harvest. Like I said above, maybe keep a few less and let the 11-12+" fish go but that certainly doesnt make this man a poacher. Keep in mind Sorrell, this is a forum. Its all about agree and disagree but there are respectful ways to go about doing this. I actually agree with a few things you said, but couldnt disagree more with the way you went about doing it. Finally, like I said above, just because O.Ne kept a limit of crappie, certainly doesnt make him a poacher. That is an aweful strong word to call a fellow outdoorsman and sportsman without darn good cause. Good fishin everyone!

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 AM »

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:55 AM »
For the life of me i can never understand it, and i have been fishing 2-3 times per week for over 45 years and am a Mod on 2 large fishing websites  ::). If the man is within his LEGAL ALLOWED LIMIT, there should be no beef. Someone may not like that he kept his legal limit, you may not agree with it. But he is within the law, and there should be no beef about it.

You wanna play catch and release  ::) great for you, have at it  ::) some of us enjoy eating what we catch  ;D.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I fish the lake all the time and taking a limit of those crappie are not going to hurt the lake. I have caught over 30 crappie and gills everytime i have been out this year. I have returned them everytime. Summit has alot of crappie and gills in it you just need to know how to fish them. Crappie grow quick in the lake and you will never over fish them. The average size of crappie this year is 10+. That looks like a great catch for the pan.

BALONEY.  I have seen lots of crappie populations over-fished.  No, usually they are not over-fished to the point where they disappear, but they certainly can be over-fished to the point where the quality fish are gone and few if any fish reach their growth potential.

Selective harvest is where it's at--take some of those 10-inch crappies home for a meal of fresh fish, do NOT fill the freezer, and turn the big ones loose!

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:21 AM »
You know, it brings a smile to my face when some complain about those of us who want to "play catch & release", when some call me a catch & release "Nazi", when some think some of us are pushing our "high-falootin, stuck up ideals".  That tells me that there are some ideas out there that are making some folks stop and think, stop and look in the mirror. ;)

Angler attitudes have changed a lot in the past 20 years or so, and there are more changes coming.  If the oceans can be over-fished, there is not a body of water in Nebraska that cannot be over-fished.  Yes, ice anglers have an impact on our fisheries resources and they need to realize that.  The only constant in nature is change; there will continue to be changes in angler attitudes and it will mean more and better fishing for years to come.

If you don't like it, don't read it, but it ain't going away.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Does not change the FACTS the he is within his LEGAL LIMIT. What part of that are you having a problem understanding  ::).

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:43 AM »
Selective harvest is where it's at--take some of those 10-inch crappies home for a meal of fresh fish, do NOT fill the freezer, and turn the big ones loose!

I think this is the key to the whole thing right here....

Offline ReclusE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:57 AM »
I tend to be more of the catch and release type but I don't think keeping a limit is wrong and wont condemn the angler who does. However what I do think is wrong is that they caught all those fish and I didn't!  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.