Author Topic: WILLOW SLOUGH  (Read 6120 times)

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WILLOW SLOUGH
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:11 PM »
FYI deer season closes on Sunday. Monday Patrol road will be open. So, you will be able to drive down and fish Mormon Hill, Birdhouse point and Filbert Lane. Also, if you call the headquarters and ask if anyone is fishing they will tell you NO. This is a negative / there is about a dozen people fishing now as I type. A friend of mine just went to the parking lot and said there were at least a dozen people fishing. I do not know the thickness of the ice, maybe this is why they won't tell you there are people fishing (Safely issues). MIGHT BE A GOOD THING. Anyway if you are under 200 and the adventurous type this might be a lake to try tomorrow. I am thinking I will have to wait till Saturday. Maybe by then someone will post an accurate thickness of the ice. We will keep our fingers crossed. GOOD LUCK, AND STAY SAFE.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: WILLOW SLOUGH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:19 PM »
2 1/2" as of yesterday at the headquarters. Not enough for me but it should be by saturday. See you there.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline duck_hunter_69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAAAGG!!!JACKWAGON!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Just Hung up with Nancy reports of anywhere from 0 to 3" of ice and she even said there were people fishing ....i was rather shocked to the admission....if anyone goes be safe that place is notorious............. ... :tipup:
Hardwater Maniacs Pro staff
CrappieZilla Ice Pro staff
Team Extrem Wisconsin Series Competitor

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I was surprised when she told me nobody was. She must of gotten a bunch of calls, or finally looked and saw people. This was the first time she was rude to me on the phone. When I asked her if she could look out the window and see if there was anyone out fishing, she replied yes I can, and no there isn't WOW!!!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:01 PM »
She was very rude to me the other day and actually told me the lake was CLOSED to ice fishing. Probably not a good idea for her to tell people that. Called later and spoke with a guy that informed me they never close the lake except for hunting.

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Nancy is always like that.  It's just her personality.   ???

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Nancy is always like that.  It's just her personality.   ???

Maybe someone should take one for the team and show her some courtship, she then might become a little more friendly. :nono:

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Maybe someone should take one for the team and show her some courtship, she then might become a little more friendly. :nono:
HaHa I think you may have just volunteered to do that. Thanks  LMAO

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 03:16 PM »
I have known Nancy for over 20 years. During hunting season she is friendly and very pleasant to talk to. Must be that time of the month??

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:08 PM »
I have experienced rudenss from the workers at every reserve I fished or hunted at since the 60's, and yet I am NOT going to blame them.  I could,  but I aint.  Mostly cause I am too dizzy from doing a circular ice dance and praying for cold.  So they get a pass, even Nancy. 

One theory though, they could be crabby all the time cause Rosie makes them sit on her Waxies to keep them warm for us.  Could be.

cc
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Never had an attitude problem with anyone at the Slough, but then again I don't call that often. Going to take a ride by there tomorrow to see for myself as to the ice conditions.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline workdunson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:15 PM »

Haha, Nancy is married to the regional manager of the DNR, that's why she thinks she has the right to talk to people however she wants. She gives literal meaning to the phrase sucking your way to the top. I'm from Newton Co. and grew up on Willow Slough, so believe me when I say she hates her job and loves talking ignorant and disrespectful to people. I wish she would do everyone a favor and retire or quit, personally.

Offline corn squeezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:16 PM »
This is a negative / there is about a dozen people fishing now as I type. A friend of mine just went to the parking lot and said there were at least a dozen people fishing.
$%@&*@#!!! I told my boss I was going to be taking Friday off earlyer in the week to head up to the slough. He laughed and said "there ain't no ice, might as well plan on coming to work". I called up to the slough today and a guy answered the phone said 0-2" of ice. I asked if anyone has been out and he said a fella was spudding around the edges earlier. Dang. At the end of the day I told my boss I'd be in tomorrow morning. He laughed and said I tried to tell ya, there ain't no ice out there. Man I hate it when he thinks he's right. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone, getting out of work and getting out on the ice for the first time this year.

Offline hunting junkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing,,,,A way of life..No hobby
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I  couldn't imagine the amount of calls they get all day long

Offline ispoman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:56 PM »
it would get old a bunch of yahoos calling all day

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Now all we need is for Rosie to get some bait...

Offline hunting junkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing,,,,A way of life..No hobby
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:09 PM »
i never asked anyone while i was there how thick the ice was or if  they were catching any.......but the assit. manager was there and said.....look at them guys fishing their crazy and i'm scared to leave.....

Offline corn squeezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:19 PM »
it would get old a bunch of yahoos calling all day
I  couldn't imagine the amount of calls they get all day long
I'm sure the phones sounded like a Jerry Lewis telethon in there this past week. I live hours away and greatly appreciate them putting up with "us" and answering the phones.  Just wish I was fishing tomorrow.

Offline seasalt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:29 PM »
Often wondered  why they don't have a webpage or a Facebook page. A place where people could go and find out some info. Especially this day in age with mobile devices.

Offline pms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Was at the slough this afternoon. There was a clam shanty west of boathouse at the channel and weed line. Three guys were working their way out from shore. About 200yds out they had 2 inches. Lots of dark spots on ice. Dont know how those guys got to channel but too risky for me. Hope this info helps. Pms

Offline corn squeezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Often wondered  why they don't have a webpage or a Facebook page. A place where people could go and find out some info. Especially this day in age with mobile devices.
That's a great idea. Seems like everyone is on facebook anymore. I'd have to get an account. lol

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:38 AM »
There is a DNR site for Willow Slough but it hasn't been updated since October 22nd. Click on Fishing, then click on Fishing Reports, then click on North West Indiana, then click on Willow Slough.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3080.htm

http://www.in.gov/apps/dnr/fishing/dnr_fishingreport?display=Willow+Slough+FWA+lakes+and+ponds

Offline icepatrol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:40 AM »
There is a DNR site for Willow Slough but it hasn't been updated since October 22nd.

are you the minnowkieth from SU?

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:54 AM »
icepatrol sent you a pm

Offline Dahouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I was on the ice for  5 1/2  hours yesterday from 10:00-3:30. 3" of ice in most places, but where there is snow on the ice only 1 1/2". Stay off the snowy areas. Walk out from the point of the levee , make a bee-line towards Reeds and you should have no prroblem. There were 8 of us out there and only got about 6 Gills...2 bass. Also fished off the levee towards the sticks out about 300 yards. There were 4 guys there and when I left they had 1 Gill.  Very slow for first ice, guys also had tip ups out about 50 yards from point of levee, no flags. Good Luck and just be careful, travel with a friend on the ice.

Offline countryboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:14 PM »
give them a solid ice report and they will come

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Not going to get one here. Just got back 2 to 3 1/2. Spud went through in 2 hits in enough places to make me and a buddy stay within a rope throw of the bank. Everyone we talked to didn't even have a bite and said everyone they talked to didn't either. No one by the reeds but talked to a guy that spudded his way out towards reeds and back. Said 2" everywhere with spots where you will swim. Be careful.

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Just got back from the Slough, no one out past the channels and allot of thin ice. I'll give it another week.

Offline getrofishback

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I think they are biting over there!-)
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Just got back from the slough and had no luck. I got out there at day break and there were quite a few guys out there already and there was a lot of moving around so I wouldn't expect there was to much action. with this high barometric pressure and limited ice to fish i didn't expect much but i really needed to get out. I noticed Moromon Hill and Patrol road were closed to fishing which limited even more ice to fish. by the check in station really isn't my favorite spot as it's quite a walk to get to any good cover. There is still a bunch of unsafe ice out there so i recommend that anyone still wanting to give it a try to be wary of that before you think you are going to make it to you favorite honey hole. Some may have done better than i did but if I were to go out again I would save the trip and try a stocked pond to cure your itch as the bigger public lakes could still use a little more time to get safe to fish the way you would like.

Offline dand6895

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Just got back from the slough. Started to walk out toward the reeds from H.Q. Spud found some questionable ice. Moved back closer to shore and fished for a couple hours. Drilled alot of holes and didnt mark any fish.  One guy said he had luck before sunup, and shut off right after sunrise. Everyone else had nothing going on.
Take a kid fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.