Author Topic: WILLOW SLOUGH  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Indiananimal

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WILLOW SLOUGH
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:38 PM »
give them a solid ice report and they will come
HA! aint that the truth. But that place is very dangerous.... some serious pucker goin on that ice! lol  ;D

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:43 PM »
Not to be mean or anything, but is the 'slough' really all it seems hyped up to be? Every year it's one of the most talked about bodies of water and so many people go there to the extent people call it 'shanty town'. I'm just wondering what's so special about it?
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Full Throttle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:18 PM »
Not to be mean or anything, but is the 'slough' really all it seems hyped up to be? Every year it's one of the most talked about bodies of water and so many people go there to the extent people call it 'shanty town'. I'm just wondering what's so special about it?

I've never fished the slough personally, but I do live 45 minutes south of there. There just are not as many bodies of water in that region (south of there especially). Yes there are ponds, but not many lakes. The lakes we do have in the central part of the state are less likely to have safe ice than the slough. I am guessing it is a result of guys in the central part of the state (near the Illinois line) that head north looking for ice. I am envious of the fellas to the north with plentiful fishing options.

Offline wallyspartan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:46 PM »

shallow and fertile.  kind of like a 1200 acre farm pond.

Offline icemutt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:33 AM »
First post fellas, just replying to spring bobber ,the slough is a bluegill mecca ,it is shallow but year after year it produces bull gills ,although not just anybody can go out there and catch um it is tough at times  but when u figure it out ,one can put a lot in the freezer ,takes time to learn like any body of water !
Hooksets are free !

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2013, 11:50 AM »
   SB,   Just one or two SLOUGH GILL DAYS  will change your life.   That place a blue gill factory.   Not uncommon to see 200 guys on a Saturday.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:20 PM »
200 guys? That must have been a slow Saturday lol.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I hear the stories about the slough all the time and have seen some pics of limits on here, but the ones I have seen are no bigger than gills anywhere else.  Maybe the people posting the pics aren't catching the 'bulls' that are in there, but you would think the lake kicks out 9.5-10" gill limits on a consistent basis, based on how much attention it gets.  Anyone got any pics of a limit of the 'bulls' from the slough.  Would love to see them.

Offline Fish Stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Been to the slough many times but only seen "bull"gills a few times. Was there when that beautiful monster pike was caught on a tip up.

Offline Kingofthekankakee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:30 PM »
I've been icefishing slough for years and there are no bull gills the biggest gills average 8 to 8 1/2 inches

Offline Kingofthekankakee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:37 PM »
The slough is an awesome place to fish for gills , probably as good as any I've been to , but the gills there do have a lot and I do mean a lot of worms in them . If that doesn't bother you then you should have an awesome time

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:40 PM »
I've been icefishing slough for years and there are no bull gills the biggest gills average 8 to 8 1/2 inches
This spring I took out some redears over 11. With limits all over 8 1/2 to 9 1/4. Got to find them most people are happy to catch 7-8 inchers. if you want the bigger ones you have to keep drilling till you find the size you want to keep.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:41 PM »
The slough is an awesome place to fish for gills , probably as good as any I've been to , but the gills there do have a lot and I do mean a lot of worms in them . If that doesn't bother you then you should have an awesome time
Took over 100 this spring and only 3 had worms.

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I think the draw is that it is a large, relatively easy body of water to fish. Lots of guys out there who are not adept or may be a little wary of fishing deeper waters. A guy can fish every inch of the lake with a floating bobber. It is also a PUBLIC lake with good access, open to anyone, with a great population of nice bluegill.
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Back in the day "Yes" there were plenty of bulls in everyones bucket. That was at least 20yrs ago before they drained and dredged. Common gills are a plenty but like others have said you need to move and stay away from the crowds cutting holes. And if ya got a handful of bonus Crappies ya always kept that to yourself. Many years of fishing the slough and alot of great times.

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have the luxury of being able to head into southern michigan whenever I want some big(ger) gills. Thats not to say that there arent several down here in Indiana, but Michigan is a little different. I'm not sure what it is but there's something different in how those gills grow up there. They are much thicker across the back and are as pure a specimen as you'll find.

I've seen a few posts in the past of some nice gills out of there, but am just surprised that there aren't more considering it wouldn't be that big of a burden since it seems like finding one person out there is like finding a needle in a haystack. It's not as if your spot or lake would be in jeopardy if there are 200 people out there fishing next to you. Just a thought.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Sorry to be that guy, but does anyone know how the ice is doing at Willow Slough? I am debating on driving down from Chicago in the morning(almost 2 hour drive). Thanks for any info!
Women want me, fish fear me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.