The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: what make you mad the most on ice. (a place to vent)  (Read 7129 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re: what make you mad the most on ice. (a place to vent)
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Hahahaha. classic. I was out today. Lake varies from 3 to 2 to 1.5 and here comes this kid marching out towards me. I say to him "Hey dude you need to be careful the ice is an inch and a half in places, watch where you walk" And he replies "Yeah, I know, do you have minnows under your tipups? Where did you buy the minnows at?" So he understood my statement........-I think, but failed to act upon my information with his spud in hand just marching along......... :P
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:26 PM »
One of my peeves is people that bring thier dog or dogs on to the ice and can't control them.They let them run amuck knocking over stuff,pissing on your tip ups and being pests in general.....
I concur :tipup:

Offline scoutb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Hahahaha. classic. I was out today. Lake varies from 3 to 2 to 1.5 and here comes this kid marching out towards me. I say to him "Hey dude you need to be careful the ice is an inch and a half in places, watch where you walk" And he replies "Yeah, I know, do you have minnows under your tipups? Where did you buy the minnows at?" So he understood my statement........-I think, but failed to act upon my information with his spud in hand just marching along......... :P

Was he walking in your footprints?  I've been known to take the quick way out using that trick before.  You just gotta be good at sizing the other guy up from a distance.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #63 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:30 PM »
Was he walking in your footprints?  I've been known to take the quick way out using that trick before.  You just gotta be good at sizing the other guy up from a distance.
Nope, just walking b line to me from a different access point!!!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:40 PM »
Nope, just walking b line to me from a different access point!!!
had the same thing happen, five of us fishing on stupid, should not be there ice! 2 guys come draggin shanties no spud, ice just a singing as you walk..and they yell how's the ice? I said deathly..the guys takes 2 steps and turns around, and proceed to walk directly to the deepest part of untraveled lake..no spud nothing? Just dumb..I. was crappin myself as I was late too the ice this am, my friends were already fishin, I spud my self out to them askin wth they are thinking? They didn't have a spud either! But thankfully we managed to stay on top..but I won't be back for a couple days..even great fishing is not worth the constant worry to me..be safe.. oh and please don't steal my hole I just drilled!!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:14 AM »
personally for me its sleds passing within a few feet of my shanty at 60+mph... the joys of fishing the Saginaw River..

Offline pocketperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone Fishin
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Agree leaving a pile of garbage or a bunch of dink perch! If those perch are bothering you that much find a new hobby!

Offline jpmVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:35 AM »
  Trash, but especially cigarette butts.  I'm a smoker and smoke on the ice, it's not hard to put them out and into the tub of a flip over shanty or in a pop bottle.
I agree with this one. I too am a smoker, and last Saturday I was out on the ice for some slooooooow fishing. Needless to say I wound up with a number of butts by the time I left (more than perch, unfortunately). I didn't think to bring a bottle or anything, so I took the cellophane off my pack, put the butts in and sealed it up with a lighter. Not that resourceful? Well, guess what: my vest also has some very convenient pockets...
-jpm

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:00 AM »
people who think this is just *their* lake..ice..area..holes ...people who think the world revolves around them...unfriendly..tho se who think people are out to steal their fish..honey hole..etc..remember the good old days *40 years ago* , when you could go on a lake and most would help you out..tell how deep jig.bait..shoot even share their coffee with you..not today..if you wander near a hole they drilled 20 min ago..good god look out..I will help anyone and everyone..tell them what I know..*not much* but its more than just about catching fish people..you never know..you might just meet your new fishing buddy ;)

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:08 AM »
people who think this is just *their* lake..ice..area..holes ...people who think the world revolves around them...unfriendly..tho se who think people are out to steal their fish..honey hole..etc..remember the good old days *40 years ago* , when you could go on a lake and most would help you out..tell how deep jig.bait..shoot even share their coffee with you..not today..if you wander near a hole they drilled 20 min ago..good god look out..I will help anyone and everyone..tell them what I know..*not much* but its more than just about catching fish people..you never know..you might just meet your new fishing buddy ;)

The world needs more people like this on the ice.
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:21 AM »
I don't like trash and people throwing small fish on ice...HELLO,thats stock for future years!

I agree with icefishdoug too, i haven't had it happen yet

Offline itsagr8dayforfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:28 AM »

The world needs more people like this on the ice.

Amen. ;D

Offline Ranger482v

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:34 AM »

Yes sir

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:35 AM »

Absolutely 100% agree and most will say they too agree but I'm getting sick of the attitude on the ice that some have...........it's supposed to be about having fun and being selfish and rude isn't fun.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Amen. ;D
I really enjoy speaking to folks on the ice... Heck I give lurers/hooks sometimes if it is something odd that they never used or if they are having a tough time getting a bite need to try the hot lurer..... One thing I hate on the ice is an a-hole.... No patience for it.

Offline Ranger482v

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:01 PM »
I really enjoy speaking to folks on the ice... Heck I give lurers/hooks sometimes if it is something odd that they never used or if they are having a tough time getting a bite need to try the hot lurer..... One thing I hate on the ice is an a-hole.... No patience for it.

:icefish: :thumbsup:

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:13 PM »
trash on the ice. and people that just go on this site to complain and harrass others for there posts. people just need to grow up!
fish on!!!

Offline Michigan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Okay it's been said but is worth saying again!  When a person gets to the ice drills ten holes then settles into one of them, then another guy just getting there comes over to one of said holes and drops lure how is he too know that you drilled those holes specifically for your use.  I mean it could have been a person who left a while ago.  For crying out loud I hear people all the time on here saying do your own homework and get there before me.  Really? Does everybody run the same schedule in life?  I tell you what I am from the Reed City area I use a clam nanook shelter a strikemaster hand auger and where carhardts on the ice if anybody sees me stop by and talk I will bs with you all you want and if u want to use one of my holes go right ahead.  If you want to drill one a foot from me go ahead I am there to catch a few fish and have fun with everybody.  Seriously if somebody fishes one of your holes after it re freezes a little bit does that become their hole now?  Ahhh I tell you what people get over yourselves.  Totally agree with the trash issues though and the screaming profanities while there are woman and children on the ice.

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:23 PM »
Okay it's been said but is worth saying again!  When a person gets to the ice drills ten holes then settles into one of them, then another guy just getting there comes over to one of said holes and drops lure how is he too know that you drilled those holes specifically for your use.  I mean it could have been a person who left a while ago.  For crying out loud I hear people all the time on here saying do your own homework and get there before me.  Really? Does everybody run the same schedule in life?  I tell you what I am from the Reed City area I use a clam nanook shelter a strikemaster hand auger and where carhardts on the ice if anybody sees me stop by and talk I will bs with you all you want and if u want to use one of my holes go right ahead.  If you want to drill one a foot from me go ahead I am there to catch a few fish and have fun with everybody.  Seriously if somebody fishes one of your holes after it re freezes a little bit does that become their hole now?  Ahhh I tell you what people get over yourselves.  Totally agree with the trash issues though and the screaming profanities while there are woman and children on the ice.

i have property on the corner of 180th and 12 mile. and another 10 acres in hersey right on the muskegon. don't make it up there much anymore
fish on!!!

Offline Ranger482v

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I also have a problem with the way some people talk with women and kids present I had to leave the bass club I haved fished in for years for the same reason my oldest daughter likes everything about rods and reels including standing on the ice and I being her father hate for her to hear nothing but trash coming from someones month >:(

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Snowmobiles buzzing my tip up spread @ way beyond legal speeds.  I wish my tip ups could fight back some days >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:24 PM »
80% of the people that fish the Saginaw river, wortheless scum that leave trash on the ice, leave fish on the ice, or keep way over their limits and brag about it.  Other than that I love talking to respectable fisherman on the ice.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:38 PM »
people that fart upwind from me and they act like they didn't do nothing

Offline jpmVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa, I've never even been to Michigan pal.
-jpm

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:46 PM »
One of my peeves is people that bring thier dog or dogs on to the ice and can't control them.They let them run amuck knocking over stuff,pissing on your tip ups and being pests in general.....

A couple years ago I was fishing Betsie lake/bay in Frankfort.  A couple guys came out with two nice dogs.  It. Was very very cold out.  A few hours later we were packing up, the two other guys had been sitting in their shanty for hours without checking on their dogs were packing up too.  They couldn't find one of their dogs...... Don't know if they ever found it.  Sad really.  They were nice friendly yellow labs.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:48 PM »

Thats what I do when people get to close :o

Offline tree digger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Using holes that are already drilled....If i walk out to an area that gets fished regularly and there are 10 open holes cut and you are settled down fishing one if i dont ask how do i know you are going to be hole hopping, i may think it better to use one of the open holes (than make a bunch of noise cutting my own, especially if the water is shallow) that i assume you didn't mark much and ended up where you are. def 2 ways of looking at things. I generally ask as a courtesy, if you don't answer i assume you don't care and do what i want. I think a little communication up front generally sets the stage for a friendly sharing of an area, and typically a much more enjoyable outing.
I usually am the guy in the areas were nobody ever fishes, trying to find a school of fish that hasn't been beat up or pressured, and it does kinda irk me that some guys rather than look for or put the work into there own fish, will pull up on a lake and head right out to the only guy on the lake figuring he must be on fish, come over, catch fish without putting an ounce of energy into finding them only to show up with a half dozen friends the next day, or post the lake on the web like it was his big accomplishment finding the fish.
So many lakes so little time

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #87 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:16 PM »
Trash on the ice!  >:( If you bring it with you, take it with you when you go. We need to protect and preserve our lakes not only for now but for future generations as well. We are sportsman, are we not? If we don't take care of these lakes who will? And I do pick up other peoples trash.

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 02, 2013, 06:30 PM »
People that don't respect other people's property or public property.  I fish a small lake near my house occasionally, not so much because of good fishing, but more due to convenience.  There is a small county park for walk-in access.  I love the guys that come in to fish specks at night and then leave all their crap on the ice.  Booze bottles, beer cans, chew tins, cig butts, candy bar wrappers, undersized fish, etc.  Occasionally, during the day, one of the homeowners on the lake will walk up and ask how I am doing.  It must drive them nuts that all these "outsiders" can stream into their backyards and treat it like a dump.  It embarrasses me that I probably get lumped in with them.  I pick up what I find..when it is not frozen down.   

Oh and now the county has put big rocks all around the parking area so you can only get about 4 cars parked legally.  I'm sure the locals complaining about the rif-raf had something to do with this as well.  I don't blame them.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2013, 01:59 PM »
here are four gills i cought and the rest is other peoples by catch like  fish not returned to the water sitting on top of the ice.  15 fish total cause they thought they would get their limit but left them on the ice so any ways i picked them up and fillet them and got some nice meat  from most.  some were a little to small but that what we get for not having a size limit on gills here in michigan. any ways you can see the four bigger fish i cought i most likely cought 15 fish but threw 11 back casue i could casue they were not to big or big enough. just an idea for those who find fish on the ice pick em up and eat them remeber it is a jumbo freezer outside so the meat should not be spoiled. by the way if you do find ilegal fish call the dnr first before keeping them. don't just assume you can keep them if they are illegal small fish but do the right thing the other guy did not and count it as part of your bag limit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.