Author Topic: Rubber insulated boots vs. Pac boot please help!  (Read 50942 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rubber insulated boots vs. Pac boot please help!
« Reply #180 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:39 AM »
I like my $30.00 Baffin with felt liner.  Fit good and keep "my" feet warm and dry.   

You guys from NY kill me with all the talk about - 40, -60, -100 boots.
How long have you had the Baffin's and are they still waterproof?

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:55 AM »
I wear the Baffins for ice fishing, hunting,  quading and walking the dog.  I wear out a pair about every 2 years.   Usually I get a cut in the side or across the top of the toe, then they are tossed out.  They are worn about every day from Oct. thru to April.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #182 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:48 PM »
I don't understand why guys seam to wear out boots faster than others? Perhaps we should make boot users show pictures of there work shoes and see if its things like walking on the sides of their feet. If it is something like the side of the tennis shoe is broken? Might be not so much a difference in feet as much the way each of us walk on our own two feet. The way we may drag or not pick up our feet when we walk. Or while standing, to let our feet roll to the side. The amount of weight may make the biggest problem with pack boots. Smashing the liner and not to mention the ankle support not built into this type of boot. So what I am saying for everyone, is that reading all this boot chit chat is hard to figure, but more than feet are not the same.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #183 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:56 AM »
I don't understand why guys seam to wear out boots faster than others? Perhaps we should make boot users show pictures of there work shoes and see if its things like walking on the sides of their feet. If it is something like the side of the tennis shoe is broken? Might be not so much a difference in feet as much the way each of us walk on our own two feet. The way we may drag or not pick up our feet when we walk. Or while standing, to let our feet roll to the side. The amount of weight may make the biggest problem with pack boots. Smashing the liner and not to mention the ankle support not built into this type of boot. So what I am saying for everyone, is that reading all this boot chit chat is hard to figure, but more than feet are not the same.
Barring an accident, such as a cut in the boot from an auger or a beaver chewing on it, wear-out will occur due to the amount of use, the type of foot, or poor design. 
What we need on this thread is to weed out poorly designed boots, and find well designed boots.
If you've had boots that wore out ahead of their time due to poor design, lets hear about it.
If your boots are holding up due to good design (i.e., stayed waterproof, and the seams and material kept their integrity) lets hear about it. 

The Sorels Alpha Tracs are poorly designed, and destined to fail.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #184 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:03 AM »
If you wear a boot every day, it's going to wear out faster then if you only wear it on the weekends when you hunt or fish.  I wear work boots everyday for work, and the soles are shot in a years time.  My fishing/hunting boots are 20+ years old, and are just getting around to needing to be replaced.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:26 AM »
If you wear a boot every day, it's going to wear out faster then if you only wear it on the weekends when you hunt or fish.  I wear work boots everyday for work, and the soles are shot in a years time.  My fishing/hunting boots are 20+ years old, and are just getting around to needing to be replaced.
;) You are correct.  I fish just about every day... ;D

Two seasons of ice fishing for me, is equivalent to 20 seasons for some guys .  @)

In the summer I go through two pair of Perry Docksiders every charter season...12-14 hours a day being wet, they don't last as long as the ones worn by weekend warriors sitting at the dock.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Stay focused.  Which ice fishing boots stay waterproof, are warm, comfortable, and long lasting?

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #187 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Stay focused.  Which ice fishing boots stay waterproof, are warm, comfortable, and long lasting?
These ones?  ::)

1.   Muck Boots
2.   Mickey Mouse Boots
3.   Lacrosse Burleys
4.   Baffin Impacts
5.   Cabelas Trans Alaskans
6.   Baffin Impact
7.   Sorels (I picked the “Glaciers” as being at the top of the line)

perch@pans

« Reply #188 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Here is my extra .02 cents I am 6' 345lbs and wear a size 14 eeee I buy boots that fit before any type of loyalty. That being said most boots last maybe a season hunting and icefishing . I destroy boots!!!  Tried on a pair of the boots with the "extra " give to put on  knelt down and the calf seam just separated! I have had this pair of Muck Boot Woody Max  for two seasons and have NEVER had a lighter warmer more supportive and comfortable boot ever hands down!  180 $ made me balk for "pack" boots but well worth it. I have worked in Lacrosse side buckles,   lace ups and many commercial boots and shoes always 6 months max Red wings wolverines etc .  These particular boots are   Just too hot for early bow season and summer.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #189 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I have work boots over three years old. I use Danner workman. I am in a factory and walk from end to end of the 50,000 square foot. Over, under, you name it, my boots get used. I am six foot 200 lbs and I walk correctly. I know this because I check the bottoms of my shoes for wear. Something my dad would kick me in the hind end if I walked funny in front of him when I was a kid. Thanks dad!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:50 AM »
...Tried on a pair of the boots with the "extra " give to put on  knelt down and the calf seam just separated!
Which boots were those?

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:52 AM »
These ones?  ::)

1.   Muck Boots
2.   Mickey Mouse Boots
3.   Lacrosse Burleys
4.   Baffin Impacts
5.   Cabelas Trans Alaskans
6.   Baffin Impact
7.   Sorels (I picked the “Glaciers” as being at the top of the line)
And if you've worn all of the above, or some of them, which ones are the longest lasting, while staying waterproof in your opinion? 

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #192 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:55 AM »
I have work boots over three years old. I use Danner workman. I am in a factory and walk from end to end of the 50,000 square foot. Over, under, you name it, my boots get used. I am six foot 200 lbs and I walk correctly. I know this because I check the bottoms of my shoes for wear. Something my dad would kick me in the hind end if I walked funny in front of him when I was a kid. Thanks dad!
I need a pair of work boots and I'm going to remember that.  Dad's have strange ways, I know, I am one.   

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #193 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Ill check out Danners next time, but I walk in concrete/blacktop/stone allot and it wears soles really down quickly. 

Thanks
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Mar 19, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I , for one would not wear a set of sorrels.  I had a pair many years ago and my feet were always cold.  Right now I have a set of the white bunny boots.  I think I paid $60 for them and they have been good to me.  I did buy a pair of ice cleats to put on the bottom for early ice and that helped tremendously

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:35 PM »
And if you've worn all of the above, or some of them, which ones are the longest lasting, while staying waterproof in your opinion?
Cabelas Trans Alaskans...

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #196 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:11 PM »
The best.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Nov 11, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I had a pair of low end Sorrels for 18 yrs and finally wore out the sole.  The last 2 years I have bought a pair of Kamiks  and Sorrels and have pierced the rubber toes on one pair and cut the toe on the other.  I did not notice when I did the damage on either pair.  The rubber on my old Sorrels was much thicker and damage resistant.

What boots have a tough toe.  I was thinking the Infernos..

Any thoughts?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #199 on: Nov 12, 2013, 02:43 PM »
mickeys black or white last me the longest with being waterproof and no liner to wear out.ive had them over 6 years so far. my lacrosse ice kings cracked after 2 years. my ithasca boots have lasted but the liners are junk along with not being very waterproof.after my next pair of mickeys I might try some mucks.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Nov 13, 2013, 06:52 PM »
I think this is going to be a purchase I do not make on line....at least not until I try some on in person

Thanks for all your research

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:24 AM »
The guarantee on the boots is not an online shopping issue.  The Cabela's guarantee is for the lifetime of the product.  Cabela's determines how long that lifetime will be.  In the post entitled "Don't buy Cabela's", the gentleman returned his $80 boots to Cabela's within 2 years (?) due to stitching coming loose.  They offered him $40 for them, he spoke up and they offered $60 in gift certificate.  That's a poor "lifetime" guarantee.

We don't expect boots to last a lifetime, but we don't accept their falling apart within two years unless we wear and beat them so much that they fall apart. 

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Nov 14, 2013, 10:50 AM »
That is good to know.

Thanks

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Nov 23, 2013, 07:58 PM »
I am wearing either Kamik Ultralight Pack boots (same as Oslo) and Baffin Titan's.
Both are rated to -100F.
With lots of water on the ice I wear the Titans, lots of walking I wear the Kamiks.
Both are very warm in all conditions I have encountered.

Burt :)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Nov 24, 2013, 10:08 AM »
I have read all the threads and am surprised there has been no mention of Steger Mukluks.  I have had a pair for 25 years and love them.  Light as your bedroom slippers and warm.  I discovered them when I ran sled dogs 25-30 years ago.  They are made by Will Steger's wife Patti.  Will went to the north pole by dog team back in the day, so they should know a thing or two about warm boots. 

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #206 on: Dec 04, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Baffin titans...not pretty, little bulky, but dry andWARM...guaranteed !!!  I have the coldest feet in the world and these are the only ones  that worked for me.  You can get them for under 100$
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Dec 13, 2013, 04:35 PM »
read all the reviews .... I've had mickey's for years, uncomfortable as hell. I've worn sorels for years now, but they are not waterproof when standing in 6-8" of water and slush, and my feet on occasion have been cold.... this year I bought an Eskimo 949i, but I am in the market for knew boots also.
Today I went to the local Sam's to try on and compare the Mucks/AlphaBurley's ...

-The Muck's don't appear to be very rugged but were very comfortable, and I worry about the neoprene where it meets the rubber that it's waiting to blow apart.

-The AlphaBurley's went on much easier and felt good but the width wasn't enough which hurt the side of feet while walking around the store...unfortunately the store didn't  have the next size larger .....

I still have yet to decide, but i'm leaning towards the lacrosse.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #208 on: Dec 13, 2013, 04:39 PM »
The nice thing about PACs is your feet will breath better. Rubber boots don't breath good and your feet stay wet when you sweat. 

Offline Buschfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Dec 31, 2013, 06:45 AM »
bought the muck arctic pros this year and wear them every day for work and am going to wear them fishing plenty warm and comfortable actually little to warm for work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.