Author Topic: Rubber insulated boots vs. Pac boot please help!  (Read 50938 times)

Offline FISH2163

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rubber insulated boots vs. Pac boot please help!
« Reply #150 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I switch to Muck Arctic Pros about 4 years ago. Great boot and well worth the investment. I use them for everything from snow blowing to ice fishing to playing outside with the kids. If anything, my feet get a little to hot if I'm up and moving around a lot. I've had multiple pairs of Lacrosse Burly Air Grips over the past 20 years and they worked well, but there is a no comparison between them and the Muck Boots. The Muck Boots are light, comfortable, and do a much better job keeping your feet warm.

Offline edddieo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:12 AM »
 thanks ill try them ;D

Offline triskel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:05 AM »
I use Kamik.  They have an arctic model which has kept my feet dry and warm.  I use them as well in my deer stand and never had a problem.  There are no laces to  fumble with.  Slip on and slip off.  My yak-trax also fit nicely around them as well.  i have a cabelas pak boot inferno but they are too stiff to be running around chasing flags...great for the woods not the lake.

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #153 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:13 AM »
I used to wear mickys, never got cold feet but they are very heavy and clumsily large. Not to mention if your sock ever slips down they will wear a hole in your leg very fast. I have Baffin Impacts now and would recommend them highly. Not only are they lighter and warmer, they are much more comfortable and that makes a big difference too.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:29 AM »
I purchased my first pair of Muck Arctic Pros this year -- been very pleased with them -- fully waterproof, very warm, good support for standing all day and very lightweight -- important if you want to be mobile and do alot of moving around -- no problem running for tip-ups in these boots!  Best price I found was using the Muck link above on Ice Shanty.com -- as you go through the check-out process -- click on online price comparison -- came back with $129.95 with free shipping...!!

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I know this helped me out hopefully its helping everyone else!!
Gimme 2 1/2 inches and ill be out there.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #156 on: Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 PM »
I tried mickeys again today because I knew it was going to be wet and sloppy. Again my feet were cold. I guess for some they work, and some they don't.  For the little money I spent on them, I had to give them a try.  I've wasted $40 on a lot less

I might try the arctic pros next.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #157 on: Feb 14, 2013, 01:39 PM »
I tried mickeys again today because I knew it was going to be wet and sloppy. Again my feet were cold. I guess for some they work, and some they don't.  For the little money I spent on them, I had to give them a try.  I've wasted $40 on a lot less

I might try the arctic pros next.
Do the Baffin Impacts one size over your regular and don't look back. Let your enemies borrow your Mickeys.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline noelaar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:27 AM »
I recomend the lacrosse 2000 gram boots a wee bit pricey but you wont regret it one bit!
Gimme 2 1/2 inches and ill be out there.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:39 PM »
Muck Arctic Sport. I've got a pair, but when I bought mine I took a heavy pair of socks with me to try them on so I would be sure to get the proper size, and I love them. When it gets really cold I put a pair of the adhesive backed foot warmers on my socks before putting my boots on. I also never put my boots on until I'm leaving the truck to fish, I have an old stretched out pair of boat shoes that I wear until ready to leave the truck. I bought mine at a local feed store last spring on a close out, they were under $100.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Good price.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I read this entire thread and did a bunch of reading and here’s what I found out.
The most popular boots are
1.   Muck Boots
2.   Mickey Mouse Boots
3.   Lacrosse Burleys
4.   Baffin Impacts
5.   Cabelas Trans Alaskans
6.   Baffin Impact
7.   Sorels (I picked the “Glaciers” as being at the top of the line)

Here are the specs.

Muck Boots:

Arctic Pro

Professional Extreme-Conditions Sport Boot
All the standard MUCK BOOT™ features plus:
•   Fleece lining
•   Stretch-fit topline binding snugs leg to keep warmth in and cold out
•   8mm CR flex-foam bootie with four-way stretch nylon, 100% waterproof, lightweight and flexible
•   Bob-tracker molded outsole is rugged, aggressive and durable for maximum protection and stability
•   Double reinforcements on the instep, heel and achilles areas
•   2mm thermal foam underlay added to the instep area for additional warmth
•   EVA molded midsole with contoured footbed
•   Reinforced toe
•   Added toe protection with a wrap-up bumper
•   Comfort range of -60° F to 40°F 

Mickey Mouse Boots:

World-renowned "Mickey Boots" are 100% rubber with thick wool insulation all around.Add in an insulating air pocket, all sandwiched between the layers of rubber.
Presto! Warmth rated to -20°F! Rugged nylon laces go through the second eyelet twice to lock your foot in place. Gusseted tongue, heel wedge accepts ski or snowshoe bindings.
The interior is nylon lined for easy on / off. High-traction soles and heels, and double-thick rubber in all wear areas. Built-in altitude air valve pressurizes the Boot when our troops are airborne. It's a handy feature... if you parachute in to watch penguins. Each approx. 11 1/2"h., 53 ozs. Condition: brand new, army surplus, never issued.

LaCrosse® 18" Burly® Rubber Boots

The 100% waterproof, ozone-resistant rubber construction is proven to be reliable in demanding environments. Nylon-net lining with AgION™ antimicrobial protection. Removable EVA footbed. Fiberglass shank. Contoured ankle-fit design. Cam-Loc™ buckle adjustment accommodates all calf sizes and keeps moisture out. Polymeric Foam Insulation. Air-grip outsole. Imported.
Height: 18".
Average weight: 5.3 lbs./pair.

Cabela's Trans-Alaska™ III Pac Boot

From the Iditarod trail to the treestand, these boots have proven they are true cold-weather performers. A 13mm Texel® removable liner reflects heat inward to minimize loss. Beneath that, the Moisture Trap footbed wicks away perspiration and condensation. A 1/2" layer of EVA foam, coupled with the nylon-covered Phylon midsole, puts 3" of cold-blocking material between your feet and the ground. The tough, flexible vamps are protected by a triple-layer, abrasion-resistant toe guard, and the rubber toe cap ensures longer wear. These boots have a reflective, lightweight waterproof shell with lightweight, reflective nylon shafts. Radiantex™ reflective coating. The 8" liner allows for pants inside the boots, and the rip-stop nylon gaiter has a cord-locked drawcord to keep out snow. They're easy to tighten, thanks to a one-pull ball bearing lacing system. Inside, a heat pack pocket allows you to insert toe warmer heat packs.
Height: 15".
Average weight: 5.8 lbs./pair.

Baffin Impact:
RATING -100°C/-148°F
BASE Integrated Arctic Flex rubber base
INSOLE Waffle sole and reflective “air bubble” underfoot
OUTSOLE Premium polar rubber
LINER 8-layer inner boot system with Thermaplush
UPPERS Timberwolf leather and Diamond-Lite insulated nylon

Sorel Glacier:

This durable, weather-defying boot is perfect for keeping feet warm, dry and protected in deep snow and extreme cold; in addition to a waterproof rubber shell, it features a water and wind resistant upper, built-in gaiter and removable 13mm ThermoPlus™ felt inner boot.

Construction:

Durable water and wind resistant PU backed synthetic textile upper
Built-in gaiter with barrel lock closure system
Removable 13mm ThermoPlus™ felt InnerBoot
25mm bonded felt frost plug
Removable 13mm Sorel Meltdown Midsole™
Handcrafted waterproof vulcanized rubber shell
Sorel AeroTrac™ non-loading outsole
Shaft Height: 16 in / 40.6 cm
Weight: 42 oz / 1191 g
Sorel rated: -100° fahrenheit / -73° celsius
Imported

Fabric:

UPPER
PU backed synthetic textile
LINING
13mm Thermoplus felt
MIDSOLE
13mm Sorel Meltdown Midsole
SHELL
Vulcanized rubber
OUTSOLE
Sorel AeroTrac

Conclusions:

An ice fishing boot should be completely waterproof, warm, and comfortable.  Not all of these boots are completely waterproof and of those that are completely waterproof, due to design flaws, they will not stay waterproof.  Of those that are completely waterproof, not all of them are comfortable. 
From looking at all the specs. and reading the reviews it comes down to the Muck and Baffin Boots.  The Baffin Boots appear to be more comfortable, however the Muck Boots appear to be the more durable.

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I read this entire thread and did a bunch of reading and here’s what I found out.
The most popular boots are
1.   Muck Boots
2.   Mickey Mouse Boots
3.   Lacrosse Burleys
4.   Baffin Impacts
5.   Cabelas Trans Alaskans
6.   Baffin Impact
7.   Sorels

Conclusions:

An ice fishing boot should be completely waterproof, warm, and comfortable.    ;D  Not all of these boots are completely waterproof and of those that are completely waterproof, due to design flaws, they will not stay waterproof.  Of those that are completely waterproof, not all of them are comfortable. 
From looking at all the specs. and reading the reviews it comes down to the Muck and Baffin Boots.  The Baffin Boots appear to be more comfortable, however the Muck Boots appear to be the more durable.

Read all the reviews you want!

Now go out and buy and wear out each of those boots on your feet...like some of us have.

Then you will realize there was one,  that was perfect for your foot.

Your foot, is different than MY foot.

My foot is perfect for the Trans Alaskans.  ;)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Mar 11, 2013, 09:36 PM »
I picked up the Muck Arctic Pro and like the convince of the slip on, but still wonder how warm they will be when it gets cold again.

I got a good deal locally and figured what the heck. 

My toes were cool even though it was only mid 20's that morning.  I re-read the tags on the boots, and realized that they read for ACTIVE warmth.  I guess they won't be too good for late season deer hunting in the stand.   For walking and moving they'll be warm.

Ill keep them for a back up pair, but not my main wears.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Mar 12, 2013, 04:12 AM »

Now go out and buy and wear out each of those boots on your feet...like some of us have.

I posted this for myself and others to compare specifications.
Since I can't possibly buy and wear every type of boot listed above, I can only rely on research and opinions. 
Remember, that all of the above boots, and some not listed, are first rate boots. 
Most of the people that posted here listed only the positive aspects of their boots. 
I am hoping to get feedback from the same people as to how long their boots stayed waterproof, how long they lasted, and how they performed.  Just like the post directly above this one. 
Apropos of that, I bought the Sorel Alpha Pac boots three years ago.  They were waterproof for two years, then due to poor design, they are no longer.  Don't buy them.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:21 AM »
I also tried the black Mickeys. Not good for me.

My toes were cold on warmish days. They are big and clunky as well.

They don't come up too far, and my pants ended up getting wet from snow and slush.   

Not too comfortable either (for me).  Glad I didn't pay allot for them.  If anyone local wants a set real cheap,  PM me for the size and we can set something up.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Mar 12, 2013, 04:02 PM »

By the way, how long have you had the Trans Alaskans and are they still waterproof?

And I just noticed that the Baffin Impact specs. don't say that they're waterproof.  Anybody know if they are and how long they stay that way?   

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #167 on: Mar 12, 2013, 06:42 PM »
+1 on trans alaskans. Warmest boots I have ever wore.  Cabelas has lifetime warranty also.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:44 AM »
+1 on trans alaskans. Warmest boots I have ever wore.  Cabelas has lifetime warranty also.
How long have you had them and are they still waterproof?

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:27 AM »
One season and yes still waterproof. Lifetime warranty.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #170 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:29 PM »
One season and yes still waterproof. Lifetime warranty.
They look like a great boot.  A lifetime warranty is all good, but like my old mechanic used to say, "Sure, Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty, but I can't be bothered with taking back.  I buy tools that are going to last."   

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #171 on: Mar 13, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Personal opinion. I like craftsman.  And cabelas is awesome with returns.  Good luck with whatever you try.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Mar 13, 2013, 04:39 PM »
My next set will be the preditor extremes or the trans alaska's.

I also like craftsman tools.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #173 on: Mar 13, 2013, 05:40 PM »
What a thread !

WS

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:00 PM »
By the way, how long have you had the Trans Alaskans and are they still waterproof?

On my second pair...First pair I wore three seasons, they were still waterproof, EXCEPT...I wore a hole on top of the boot in the laces from constant rubbing in the snowmobile stirup...  My fault.

On my second pair now for two seasons... @) Still waterproof. I still wear the first pair if it is not slushy or, if I am taking the machine. no sense in ruining another pair the same way.  ;)

I loved the Alpha Burlys...my ankles didn't...I have scars from walking too many miles in them, and one beaver chew will rip a hole so fast in them ... :'(

Mickeys were never comfortable for me. Warm, yes, waterproof? Only as high as they are.

Mucks were waterproof and warm..NOT comfortable. I gave mine to a guy I didn't like. He loves them!  >:D

Baffins did alright for me...kept me warm, dry as toast,(can't remember deep slushing in them though..)  wrong design for my foot to be comfortable , again...  My son is wearing them now that he grew into them!

Sorels were not tall enough to wade through the local slush, and BOTTOM of my feet got cold in them....We stand on ice all day...you need insulation UNDER your foot, like the Trans Alaskans HAVE.  ;) ;D Most boots will keep you warm to and from a shanty with a floor... ::)

If you use your boots, you are going to have to replace them....Not happy with the last pair you wore out...try a different kind! Then you find the one that works best for your foot, and your style of use.

I refuse to hike without a broken in pair of Asolo 520 GTX's......If they still made Longitudes, I would be wearing them. If I knew they were going to stop making Longitudes...I would have bought 20 pair and stashed them!

Other hikers have their favs as well...

It all depends on YOUR FOOT....your foot is different shape and arch then the next guys...Not every "good" boot is good for everybody. You need to find what is good for you.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Mar 14, 2013, 04:02 AM »
On my second pair...First pair I wore three seasons, they were still waterproof, EXCEPT...I wore a hole on top of the boot in the laces from constant rubbing in the snowmobile stirup...  My fault.

On my second pair now for two seasons... @) Still waterproof. I still wear the first pair if it is not slushy or, if I am taking the machine. no sense in ruining another pair the same way.  ;)

I loved the Alpha Burlys...my ankles didn't...I have scars from walking too many miles in them, and one beaver chew will rip a hole so fast in them ... :'(

Mickeys were never comfortable for me. Warm, yes, waterproof? Only as high as they are.

Mucks were waterproof and warm..NOT comfortable. I gave mine to a guy I didn't like. He loves them!  >:D

Baffins did alright for me...kept me warm, dry as toast,(can't remember deep slushing in them though..)  wrong design for my foot to be comfortable , again...  My son is wearing them now that he grew into them!

Sorels were not tall enough to wade through the local slush, and BOTTOM of my feet got cold in them....We stand on ice all day...you need insulation UNDER your foot, like the Trans Alaskans HAVE.  ;) ;D Most boots will keep you warm to and from a shanty with a floor... ::)

If you use your boots, you are going to have to replace them....Not happy with the last pair you wore out...try a different kind! Then you find the one that works best for your foot, and your style of use.

I refuse to hike without a broken in pair of Asolo 520 GTX's......If they still made Longitudes, I would be wearing them. If I knew they were going to stop making Longitudes...I would have bought 20 pair and stashed them!

Other hikers have their favs as well...

It all depends on YOUR FOOT....your foot is different shape and arch then the next guys...Not every "good" boot is good for everybody. You need to find what is good for you.
Now that's what I call research and analysis.  Those are the sort of reviews that we need.

Barring the fact that everybody's feet are different, a "good" boot should be long lasting, in addition to comfortable, warm, and waterproof.
When I read about a guy that says he's worn the same boots for 30 years (5 or 10 should be enough), I want to know what kind of boots he's wearing, and what he's using them for.               

Offline raate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Mar 14, 2013, 06:12 AM »
Now that's what I call research and analysis.  Those are the sort of reviews that we need.

Barring the fact that everybody's feet are different, a "good" boot should be long lasting, in addition to comfortable, warm, and waterproof.
When I read about a guy that says he's worn the same boots for 30 years (5 or 10 should be enough), I want to know what kind of boots he's wearing, and what he's using them for.             
He must watch a ton of television and spend all his fishing time on the internet..... :P

;D

The Sorels I owned were NOT 15 inches tall either.... ::) I thought I still had them buried in a closet here somewhere, I just went and looked for them so I could measure them....the wife must have throw them out.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Mar 14, 2013, 03:30 PM »
He must watch a ton of television and spend all his fishing time on the internet..... :P

;D

The Sorels I owned were NOT 15 inches tall either.... ::) I thought I still had them buried in a closet here somewhere, I just went and looked for them so I could measure them....the wife must have throw them out.
Back in the day, all the boots were Pac boots with leather uppers.  Mink oil or bee's wax them and you were good to go.  And they lasted a long, long time.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #178 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:51 PM »
I like my $30.00 Baffin with felt liner.  Fit good and keep "my" feet warm and dry.   

You guys from NY kill me with all the talk about - 40, -60, -100 boots.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:28 AM »
x2 on the Trans Alaskens, Going on 5 yrs now and still warm and dry.
Bob P.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.